Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

WITNESS 16: Lucien “Luke” Haag (Forensic Science Services)Firearm box was passed to witness who looked at firearm to see if it was "clear." LH: “It is cleared.”

Haag says he focuses on shooting incident reconstruction.

Haag tested the “Baldwin” revolver in this case.

LH says he formed an opinion on the working condition on the firearm. Says it was in "proper working order.”

LH stands in front of jury and shows hammer fully down. Pulls trigger to show it’s now in the “safety” position When he pulls latch down, cylinder can rotate freely He closes gate If I’m ready to shoot, I’m gonna *advertiser censored* it. When I'm ready to shoot (pulls triggers)

LH shows how a person would show off cartridges while loaded in revolver. LH now seated back on stand.

KM: have you seen any evidence that the full cocked hammer notch was modified to allow faster shooting? LH: No

LH comparing characteristics of deconstructed rounds taken from "PDQ Props" and live ammo investigators found on set. LH shows differences in several aspects of the rounds - another prosecution attempt to show the live ammo on set did not come from the supplier.

Prosecutor plays video taped with Luke Haag. Someone wearing a blue medical glove holds “Baldwin” revolver after they reconstructed the revolver with a new trigger and bolt. Damaged hammer remains (wants to see how it impacts the gun)

Hammer is pulled but hammer falls and is captured at “half *advertiser censored*” position, preventing the gun from firing.

KM: trigger would have to be pulled to fire. Even if it was damaged on Oct. 21, Baldwin would have to pull the trigger? LH confirms

LH also reviewed film scenes of Baldwin on set that we watch yesterday. LH says there is nothing that the hammer could get caught on to cause it to fire.

Court takes lunch break.

@DanaGriffinNBC
A few more of @DanaGriffinNBC X posts: WITNESS 16: Lucien “Luke” Haag (Forensic Science Services)

-- LH concluded that Baldwin had to either fully *advertiser censored* and pull the trigger to fire revolver or he could have already depressed it and the instance he let go of the hammer – it would have fired.

-- LH could never resolve if Baldwin had his finger on the trigger or trigger guard based on the film scene we watched yesterday.

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered. Do we know who trained HGR? Was she an apprentice for her dad? You wonder if her trainer/mentor cut corners, and she felt she could do that as well.
She said she was trained by her dad and I believe she mentioned taking training at Taran Tactical, who trains a lot of movie actors.
Taran has a reputation about behavior towards younger women and he trains a lot of IG gun bunnies. I wouldn't be surprised if HGR didn't get the movie star training and got the IG gun bunny training instead.

WITNESS 17: Detective (Corporal) Alexandra Hancock, Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office
During secondary interview with HGR, defendant disclosed three sources of ammo that went onto set of Rust: PDQ Props, Billy Ray, “third source was herself.”

AH: after search warrant, live ammo from PDQ Props did not match live ammo on set.

Prosecution about to play several video of AH and GHR on film set. One video is more than an hour long.

Prosecution: some videos are redacted so we may see a skip in video

As they walk to the restroom HGR says to AH: “I can’t believe Alec Baldwin was holding the gun. That’ so *advertiser censored**ed.”

HGR asks to be moved to another car HGR: I wish my coworkers would stop seeing me because I already feel bad.HGR: “I just want to get the *advertiser censored** out of here and never show my face in this industry again.”

2nd video is from sheriff interrogation surveillance.HGR's Miranda Rights are read.HGR says she needs to talk to an attorney but she can answer a few questions.

HGR describing her job: I check the guns, load the guns and hand the guns off to the actor. HGR says she’s handled guns her entire life.

HGR “dummied the gun up” right before lunch. They locked up the guns before lunch.HGR: Sarah Zachry didn’t really work with the Baldwin gun that day.

HGR says live ammo is never kept on set.

Before lunch we were just about to get into the "blank stuff." HGR: It’s my job to check the barrel - “that’s how Brandon Lee (actor) died.”HGR: I shook all of them and they all showed they were not “hot” so to say.

HGR confirms she, Dave, Baldwin and "maybe Sarah, possibly" were the only ones to handle gun that day.

HGR confirms she loaded 6th round in the Baldwin revolver after lunch.

HGR says she was not inside church, was outside by cart when the shooting happened.

HGR: “I got yelled at” and ran out (of church).Dave brought me the gun. I opened and checked it.

HGR reacts to being told they believe it was a real round: “Oh my God poor Halyna.”

HGR: that might be a regular, live round. “Holy .”

HGR says dummies slide in chamber a little easier than live rounds. HGR confirms the last round she put in revolver didn’t slide in as easily.

HGR says she checks every round, every time. Says she checked all 6 for a rattle.AH: One of the rounds actually had a hole to indicate it was a dummy which is contrary to HGR's statement.

KM: it was her understanding that HGR checked weapon over prop cartSpent casing, fired from revolver was later found on top of the prop cart.

Video 3: Second interview with HGR, attorney Bowles is in the room along with 2 investigators.

HGR talking about jobs as an armorer including productions with dad and her two head armorer gigs. She's worked in this field since 2015 (while still in college).

HGR tells investigator that she thought she’d be mostly doing armorer job. During 2nd week - was told she “wasn’t pulling her weight in props” and that she needed to shift focus from armorer to props because props was struggling

HGR: I got to do two jobs for less pay. It was frustrating but she was focused on “kicking *advertiser censored* in props too.”

@DanaGriffinNBC

She had no clear understanding of safety and the seriousness of the job. A kid playing with firearms. my thoughts, at this time.
24 isn't a kid. But she didn't have any idea what she was doing.
From the police videos, she had no clue what her responsibilities were, broke at least one gun trying to clean it (which explains why Baldwins gun had a fouled barrel) and appeared to be more concerned about making a name for herself than safety.
I can't wait until the detective starts testifying about Thell Reed trying to blame PDQ and those unsigned letters he sent. That whole thing smells fishy to me.

She also walked around with pistols tucked under her armpits such that they were pointing back at people, and allowed firearms to be aimed at people, Brumbaugh told the Wrap.

_____
I watched just the trailer last night( Hulu)
Looks like massive amounts of guns in The Old Way.
Children on set too.
JMO

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of junior employees are thrown in the midst and not given proper guidance and training to do their jobs effectively. I feel like it was productions job to ascertain that the people in these key positions are experienced and properly trained. If production is primarily concerned with cutting corners, then this is what you get. Having said that, I'm watching some parts of her interview and her non-chalant attitude is disconcerting. Her seeming lack of remorse makes it hard to feel sympathetic towards her. I don't know if this is youthful arrogance or if this woman is just plain irresponsible and negligent and deserves to be punished. It is hard to argue that she was just inexperienced when it seems like she was lazy and arrogant. JMO

@cathyrusson

Later today, David Halls is expected to take the stand in #RustMovieSet trial. Halls was the first assistant director on the set. He handed the gun to #AlecBaldwin. Baldwin has claimed Halls told him it was a "cold gun", which is set talk for no blank rounds (only dummy rounds). Halls pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of negligent use of deadly weaponand received 6 months unsupervised probation.

WATCH LIVE: Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ Movie Shooting — NM v. Hannah Gutierrez ...
https://youtube.com/live/BAkf6xGly04?si=_EmQc8B7aJMY1AL6 via @YouTube

DAY 6 in the "Rust" manslaughter trial of armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. We still have nearly 2 hours of video evidence this morning. First assistant director Dave Halls - also charged in this case - is expected to testify today.

Halls pleaded no contest last year to a misdemeanor charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon, making him the first person to be held accountable for the shooting death of the film’s cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins.

8:50: court back in session. Prosecutors resume 2nd taped interview of HGR. Detective Cpl. Alexandra Hancock is back on the stand.

On day of shooting, HGR said she pulled dummy rounds from a box marked "dummies." She had never seen the box before but decided to load the guns with the rounds without individually checking each round. She just shook the box and heard it "jingle.”

HGR heard in interview:“Where the did this box of dummies come from?”“Oh well, at least we have them now.”

HGR was standing at her cart when shooting happened - she didn’t flinch. Asked "what was that? "Heard in ear piece someone calling for medic. HGR goes into church and sees ppl on ground. HGR: “Was that the gun?” Dave brings HGR the gun

HGR opens cylinder and sees one discharged. All other were fine - they were dummies. HGR Handed ammo to Sarah - “go check that *advertiser censored**ing box.” Detective says that was not what HGR told her weeks prior

@DanaGriffinNBC

Unpopular opinion (so far)…

I think her bigwig step-dad armorer vouched for her when he had no business to. Having been in and around his sets while he was on the job her ‘whole life’ or whatever is hardly experience yet she keeps reiterating this tidbit as if it counts for all that and then some. For all we know she was barely sober, half asleep, on her phone, too young to comprehend, etc. for the majority of that time. Not trying to be accusatory, just saying we really don’t know how much - if any - experience she truly took away from any time spent on his set.

Being an indie film where budget is understandably limited she likely came cheaper than cheap (so much for that…). Not that this is an area to skimp out on (it’s not) but coupled with the fact that she came with a personal recommendation from a highly respected heavyweight in the industry I can’t really fault whoever hired her for being had.

And speaking of, rather than shoulder some of the blame for his part her step-dad seems far more concerned with protecting her (or perhaps more so his reputation) so it’s no wonder she comes across the way she does. If he doesn’t find fault in anything she did why would she?

Back to HGR - I get no sense of professionalism from her in any of the playback footage shown so far. She’s there yet comes across as though she’s completely checked out. And I can’t even write it off as ‘day of’ shock because it goes beyond the first interview.

I understand this is Hollywood where image is everything and optics take precedence. But somebody died as a direct result of something going wrong within her job duties and instead of taking even an ounce of responsibility or showing remorse her overall demeanor keeps giving “that sucks”.

Also, I could’ve sworn reading around the time this happened that she went from working a retail gig to this job? Does anyone else recall this?

End rant.

/jmo

Last edited:
@phaedraann

Morning comrades, I don’t have much time for updates today but I can report that #Rust asst. director David Halls was in the hallway with his attorney earlier and when armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed came out they shared what seemed to be a heartfelt embrace. #nmcourts

1:35 PM · Feb 28, 2024

Unpopular opinion (so far)…

I think her bigwig step-dad armorer vouched for her when he had no business to. Having been in and around his sets while he was on the job her ‘whole life’ or whatever is hardly experience yet she keeps reiterating this tidbit as if it counts for all that and then some. For all we know she was barely sober, half asleep, on her phone, too young to comprehend, etc. for the majority of that time. Not trying to be accusatory, just saying we really don’t know how much - if any - experience she truly took away from any time spent on his set.

Being an indie film where budget is understandably limited she likely came cheaper than cheap (so much for that…). Not that this is an area to skimp out on (it’s not) but coupled with the fact that she came with a personal recommendation from a highly respected heavyweight in the industry I can’t really fault whoever hired her for being had.

And speaking of, rather than shoulder some of the blame for his part her step-dad seems far more concerned with protecting her (or perhaps more so his reputation) so it’s no wonder she comes across the way she does. If he doesn’t find fault in anything she did why would she?

Back to HGR - I get no sense of professionalism from her in any of the playback footage shown so far. She’s there yet comes across as though she’s completely checked out. And I can’t even write it off as ‘day of’ shock because it goes beyond the first interview.

I understand this is Hollywood where image is everything and optics take precedence. But somebody died as a direct result of something going wrong within her job duties and instead of taking even an ounce of responsibility or showing remorse her overall demeanor keeps giving “that sucks”.

Also, I could’ve sworn reading around the time this happened that she went from working a retail gig to this job? Does anyone else recall this?

End rant.

/jmo
I agree with this take. I think I have an icky feeling about her being prosecuted, as she's at the bottom of the totem pole, after hearing all the complaints and issues with production on this set. It seems safe to assume that this set was dysfunctional and poorly managed. We've all experienced this in various jobs so it was hard for me to blame her completely. But once I saw her demeanor, any sympathy/benefit of the doubt I had has pretty much evaporated. She comes across like 'oh well" and it's hard to stomach given what happened. It seems like that was the prevailing attitude by the top producers on this set and she fit right in. She's trying to evade responsibility just like Baldwin who claims he never pulled the trigger. And then, incredibly, the victim's husband settled with Baldwin and agreed to be a producer on the movie and they still continued producion of the movie. It's unbelievable all the way around. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back