TX - Elementary school student hospitalized after mother spikes Gatorade out of revenge for bullying - 3/7/24

I can see why mom was angry, but surely there were other avenues she could have taken. Perhaps talking to the schoolmaster or principal, or parent, etc.
Surely the classmate who drank the weird concoction is okay by now, but.. wouldn't this make him angrier and perhaps make him be even meaner?

I can see why mom was angry, but surely there were other avenues she could have taken. Perhaps talking to the schoolmaster or principal, or parent, etc.
Surely the classmate who drank the weird concoction is okay by now, but.. wouldn't this make him angrier and perhaps make him be even meaner?
Depends how much salt was in it. Since the child was hospitalised, I wonder about their kidneys.

MOO

why? is there a certain amount of times it has to happen before it becomes bullying?

I guess in my opinion, yes.

A child took something from my son. We didn't feel like that was bullying but rather a teaching moment. His mom had him return it. No big deal.

When another boy was taunting and making fun of our son day after day at school, and encouraging others to join, that felt like bullying.

I think if a child stole this woman's son's drink once, even if in a mean way, her reaction should not have been that he was bullying her son but to wonder -- Did he forget his drink that day and was thirsty? Was he perhaps jealous of the special drink? Or maybe he just needs to learn something here?

Right, I’m wondering the same- had it been the high salt content you’d think he’d only have to taste one sip before going off on the kid that gave it to him..
Moo
For me, the tip-off wouldn't be the salt, but rather the vinegar. You don't have to put much of that in a drink for it to "flavor" it.

What did she tell her son to do after she mixed Gatorade with lemon juice, salt and vinegar? Was she attempting to poison the guy?

Do not try these at home:
Vinegar and Salt Cleaning Solution:
  • Mix vinegar and salt together to create a chemical reaction.
  • This reaction produces hydrogen chloride, water, and sodium acetate.
  • Use this mixture for various cleaning tasks:
    • Wine Stain Removal: Apply to wine stains, then rinse with vinegar before washing.
    • Chimney Maintenance: Throw salt into fireplaces while burning wood to keep the chimney clean.
    • Mildew Control: Mix lemon juice and salt (1:1) to manage mildew in bathrooms and kitchens.
Lemon juice and vinegar - A natural weed killer

What did she tell her son to do after she mixed Gatorade with lemon juice, salt and vinegar? Was she attempting to poison the guy?

Do not try these at home:
Vinegar and Salt Cleaning Solution:
  • Mix vinegar and salt together to create a chemical reaction.
  • This reaction produces hydrogen chloride, water, and sodium acetate.
  • Use this mixture for various cleaning tasks:
    • Wine Stain Removal: Apply to wine stains, then rinse with vinegar before washing.
    • Chimney Maintenance: Throw salt into fireplaces while burning wood to keep the chimney clean.
    • Mildew Control: Mix lemon juice and salt (1:1) to manage mildew in bathrooms and kitchens.
Lemon juice and vinegar - A natural weed killer
Salt and Vinegar are traditional seasoning on chips, both of the French fry and crisps varieties. Not lethal. Just tangy.

MOO

The article clarifies that the drink wasn't toxic, but the child was taken to hospital and kept in for monitoring because he felt sick and they weren't initiallly sure what had caused it.

It sounds a lot like old "revenge" methods such as adding laxatives to a bully's food. Not acceptable in today's society, or ever, really. But something that would have been considered "teaching them a lesson" not so long ago.

Right, I’m wondering the same- had it been the high salt content you’d think he’d only have to taste one sip before going off on the kid that gave it to him..
Moo
Very good point, Dre. Hoping the boy is back home and okay.

For me, the tip-off wouldn't be the salt, but rather the vinegar. You don't have to put much of that in a drink for it to "flavor" it.
Salt and Vinegar are traditional seasoning on chips, both of the French fry and crisps varieties. Not lethal. Just tangy.

MOO
The article clarifies that the drink wasn't toxic, but the child was taken to hospital and kept in for monitoring because he felt sick and they weren't initiallly sure what had caused it.

It sounds a lot like old "revenge" methods such as adding laxatives to a bully's food. Not acceptable in today's society, or ever, really. But something that would have been considered "teaching them a lesson" not so long ago.

wouldn't it be so terrible that the victim would not drink very much? or spit it out as soon as it was in their mouth?

seems strange that the victim ended up in the hospital but I've never drank such a concoction

I guess in my opinion, yes.

A child took something from my son. We didn't feel like that was bullying but rather a teaching moment. His mom had him return it. No big deal.

When another boy was taunting and making fun of our son day after day at school, and encouraging others to join, that felt like bullying.

I think if a child stole this woman's son's drink once, even if in a mean way, her reaction should not have been that he was bullying her son but to wonder -- Did he forget his drink that day and was thirsty? Was he perhaps jealous of the special drink? Or maybe he just needs to learn something here?

I totally get what you're saying but I still consider it bullying, whether it's the first time or multiple
the 'teaching moment' is to show the 'bully' that they can't treat anyone like that, even if it's just once IMO

wouldn't it be so terrible that the victim would not drink very much? or spit it out as soon as it was in their mouth?

seems strange that the victim ended up in the hospital but I've never drank such a concoction
It is a bit strange... It may be that it didn't taste good, and the one who drank it was suspicious and worried that it was harmful. Then, perhaps, a panic attack, and the parents didn't want to take any chances.

And the main ingredients for making pickles.
Yeah, I haven't made pickles (like, gherkins), but I've made a lot of chutney and relishes. Salty/sour isn't just for flavour, it's what helps preserve the end product. Salting, sugaring, drying, alcohol, and smoking were the main ways of preserving things before canning, refrigeration, and modern preservatives were invented.

Now, if you drank a lot of a very salty thing you would probably feel unwell, but a little? Gatorade is naturally salty, to help with electrolytes. A lot of commercially bottled Kombucha has vinegar added. Athletes all over the world drink pickle juice shots to help prevent cramping late in a game (you see it a lot at the tennis).

Salt and Vinegar added to a drink are going to be unpleasant, but probably not dangerous unless a lot was consumed or something more dangerous to health was added.

MOO

Yeah, I haven't made pickles (like, gherkins), but I've made a lot of chutney and relishes. Salty/sour isn't just for flavour, it's what helps preserve the end product. Salting, sugaring, drying, alcohol, and smoking were the main ways of preserving things before canning, refrigeration, and modern preservatives were invented.

Now, if you drank a lot of a very salty thing you would probably feel unwell, but a little? Gatorade is naturally salty, to help with electrolytes. A lot of commercially bottled Kombucha has vinegar added. Athletes all over the world drink pickle juice shots to help prevent cramping late in a game (you see it a lot at the tennis).

Salt and Vinegar added to a drink are going to be unpleasant, but probably not dangerous unless a lot was consumed or something more dangerous to health was added. According to statistics, most people who consume salty foods or chips do not have health problems. Only excessive consumption can lead to negative consequences, causing an increase in blood pressure and increasing the risk of cardiovascular diseases. I came across this data for a college assignment and used https://edubirdie.com/statistics-help for that. Since then, I began tracking various indicators of consumption to assess how it affects the body.

MOO

Well, maybe everyone has different body requirements for the amount of salts. Perhaps there were indeed some kidney issues, and they've worsened now. Mom didn't think through all possible consequences, and a laxative would still be safer if she decided to go for it at all :rolleyes:
Though of course, any such actions are a very odd decision.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
searcher41
Back