Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the schedule for OCPS. It looks like the closing bell would have been at 3pm (this does say draft, however and I noticed the start time is different than what we have been told, so keep that in mind).

I would personally also assume some presence at the school for a couple of hours following and would think you could call the main office or something and reach a live person. It's different everywhere, but as mentioned, sports, clubs, etc even janitorial staff and just administrators and teachers having meetings and tidying up at the end of the day, I would think people would be around another hour or two.
here is the bell schedule specific to Hunters Creek middle school: wednesday dismissal time is earlier

As for JS, I feel people tend to view it too black-and-white. There is a lot of grey, imo.

* She might have suspected something about the SA, but not reacted "properly" on her suspicions due to various different reasons, while also knowing nothing about the murder and being used by SS.
* She might have suspected something about the SA, but not reacted "properly" on her suspicions due to various different reasons, while also knowing or suspecting something about the murder, and still being used by SS.
I am back and forth on these 2 and maybe she moved from one to the next. Indicators, to name only one, the consoling hugging part, that doesn't fit easily for me if she thought he alone, was responsible for her death ( to be fair did she know Madi was deceased at that time) I couldn't gauge the relationship between Mom and Maddi based on those interviews and those circumstances. Way too much going on to make a fair assessment (I will think one way and someone presents a good reason for another direction or a good explanation for things speculated)

I still want to know why G-ma said in the Telemundo interview that SS didn't live with Jenn. Did he or didn't he? if he did, was that being hidden? if so why? Might mean nothing, Just curious.

Last edited:
I left a violent spouse, who was the biological father, while I was seriously ill. (Diagnosed with a very serious illness pretty much the same time.) It was very difficult financially, practically, emotionally...understatement, but so you guys now have more context as to some of my feelings about JS and SS relationship.

For me? You do what is right for your kids, period.

JS has a job. She has the condo. She has a large extended family who seem supportive. SS was not MS bio dad, threatening to take her away from JS. SS wasn't working. He had no assets, according to his paperwork. If anything, he was dependent on JS.

SS is NOT someone I would want around my children. Huge red flags with his preferences, his lifestyle, his friends, his lack of stability, even if she knew nothing about his sexual deviance, which again, I find very hard to believe.

So, I am left with the ugly likelihood JS knew what SS liked, and she accepted it....and maybe liked that sort of thing herself. No one wants to think this, especially not another mom. But JS so far has not done anything to give me reasons to support her. She gives conflicting statements to LE, she acts incredibly flat and weird when talking about her missing daughter, the consoling of SS during the interviews, she remained friends on social media with SS AFTER he was arrested and changed her Facebook name to that of their dog so she was clearly still active, she has never issued any statement about MS since her death....

From what we also know, JS was working from home. So she was spending plenty of time around SS. I can't imagine he was able to hide who he really was from her. It just does not add up.

the first interview with Hannah McKenzie: was HMc set up outside of her house, somewhere in the complex or somewhere else?

Exactly what I said early on. The school doors don’t close the minute the bell goes off. Teachers meet with students/parents, clubs/sports team meet, etc. I’d park my car, walk into the office (or side door) and ask someone for assistance if school just let out. And if doors are locked, school is still bustling, you walk around until you find assistance.
I've wondered if Maddie was always on time, standing out front waiting when her mom arrived, or have their been times that she was lollygagging around with friends or whatever, still inside the building, and mom had to park and go in and get her? When I was about her age the time would get away from me if I was enjoying what I was doing, and my mother had to come inside and say it's time to go home.

If she's always been on time, why not more of a panicked reaction that she wasn't outside waiting? Like circling the building and banging on the door to get inside and find her? It's always best to rule out the place you'd expect a person to be before moving on to the next place she may be. If it's normal for Maddie to lollygag around inside, doing whatever, why not find a way to get inside to find her and say "It's time to go home"? Either way that school should have been searched first as a priority IMO.

Things just don't add up.

I left a violent spouse, who was the biological father, while I was seriously ill. (Diagnosed with a very serious illness pretty much the same time.) It was very difficult financially, practically, emotionally...understatement, but so you guys now have more context as to some of my feelings about JS and SS relationship.

For me? You do what is right for your kids, period.

JS has a job. She has the condo. She has a large extended family who seem supportive. SS was not MS bio dad, threatening to take her away from JS. SS wasn't working. He had no assets, according to his paperwork. If anything, he was dependent on JS.

SS is NOT someone I would want around my children. Huge red flags with his preferences, his lifestyle, his friends, his lack of stability, even if she knew nothing about his sexual deviance, which again, I find very hard to believe.

So, I am left with the ugly likelihood JS knew what SS liked, and she accepted it....and maybe liked that sort of thing herself. No one wants to think this, especially not another mom. But JS so far has not done anything to give me reasons to support her. She gives conflicting statements to LE, she acts incredibly flat and weird when talking about her missing daughter, the consoling of SS during the interviews, she remained friends on social media with SS AFTER he was arrested and changed her Facebook name to that of their dog so she was clearly still active, she has never issued any statement about MS since her death....

From what we also know, JS was working from home. So she was spending plenty of time around SS. I can't imagine he was able to hide who he really was from her. It just does not add up.
Sigh... I agree with you.

I want so support any mother going through the loss of a child, I can't imagine how horrible that must feel... but it's getting very difficult for me to have sympathy for JS. I keep thinking about that video footage of JS comforting SS and it creeps me out soooo much! And it makes me wonder if that's how JS was when Maddie was alive. Did JS comfort and care more about SS than she did Maddie?? Ugh... it's so horrifically sad to think about.

JS does not owe the public anything, but she does owe so much to Maddie - so why won't she speak for her daughter?? :(

I think it's interesting you keep mentioning JS as being a liar.
Do we know for a fact, that she intentionally lied to LE? No, we don't. And interestingly enough, LE have never come out and said "mom lied and committed a crime in doing so". That's only been said here (and probably social media, but I'm not following there).
Is it possible she misremembered the day, thinking it was that morning she saw MS getting ready for school?
(Any moms out there know exactly what I'm talking about?)
Is it possible she said something to the affect of "I'm pretty sure it was this morning I saw her getting ready" and the officer wrote it the way he did? Someone here did notice it was odd that the report said "observed" and someone else mentioned it might have just been "written that way" by the officer, instead of JS actually saying it that way. Which makes sense to me.
Is it possible she later realized it wasn't actually that morning and told LE, and they simply haven't cleared that up publicly because it's so far down the list of what actually matters in this case?

I think all are actually possible, but it's curious how opinion here is mostly leaning only one way.
I'm still giving this lady the benefit of the doubt. The presser didn't change my mind about that because even though a reporter did single mom out with a question, the answer didn't single her out, but included her in the "everyone close to Madeline" comment. Which is one of the most common things LE ever says at this point of an investigation, as they're following evidence & allowing that to tell the story.

I'm aware I'm in the extreme minority here but I'm seeing this lady as a victim, unless LE say different and so far, they have not.

jmo
She told the media that she last saw her daughter the night before. When you couple this with her telling police that she saw her daughter that morning at around 8, you're left with a major problem. Sterns is seen dumping items prior to that, which is obviously indicative of the murder taking place even further back than that.

You're not going to be off that long a period of time, especially on a school day. If your daughter is missing you remember when you last saw her, even if you're a bit off on the time.

After seeing this report, the media reached out to law enforcement, and was apparently told off the record that mom's statements haven't been consistent. This would have been the result of those interviews she conducted with two different agencies, and likely involved much more than simply being off on the time.

Several things she has said don't make much sense, and with the reference point of her seeing a girl who was already dead, the only conclusion I can reach is that she's lying about a great deal more than that (which makes the things she's said make sense).

Law enforcement almost certainly isnt' going to accuse her publicly. They generally don't do that at all, but did so here because Sterns was already behind bars for hideous sex crimes. I believe the evidence will show that she lied to cover for SS, but I'd need a hell of a lot more to have a feel for why she would do that, and what else she might have done.

Has anyone been watching Gray Hughes? They verified SS telegram account that was last active on the morning of the murder, at around 04:54 in the morning. Might not be relevant but from knowing what goes on with telegram I wouldn't put it past him.

But JS so far has not done anything to give me reasons to support her. She gives conflicting statements to LE, she acts incredibly flat and weird when talking about her missing daughter, the consoling of SS during the interviews, she remained friends on social media with SS AFTER he was arrested and changed her Facebook name to that of their dog so she was clearly still active, she has never issued any statement about MS since her death....

Snipped for focus

I would add to that, she's never seemed to me to express much love or affection toward Maddie.

She told the media that she last saw her daughter the night before. When you couple this with her telling police that she saw her daughter that morning at around 8, you're left with a major problem. Sterns is seen dumping items prior to that, which is obviously indicative of the murder taking place even further back than that.

You're not going to be off that long a period of time, especially on a school day. If your daughter is missing you remember when you last saw her, even if you're a bit off on the time.

After seeing this report, the media reached out to law enforcement, and was apparently told off the record that mom's statements haven't been consistent. This would have been the result of those interviews she conducted with two different agencies, and likely involved much more than simply being off on the time.

Several things she has said don't make much sense, and with the reference point of her seeing a girl who was already dead, the only conclusion I can reach is that she's lying about a great deal more than that (which makes the things she's said make sense).

Law enforcement almost certainly isnt' going to accuse her publicly. They generally don't do that at all, but did so here because Sterns was already behind bars for hideous sex crimes. I believe the evidence will show that she lied to cover for SS, but I'd need a hell of a lot more to have a feel for why she would do that, and what else she might have done.
I check in for updates, but like in most cases where LE has gone silent - the discussion is primarily rehash and opinions. But I am intrested in reading poster's thoughts on Mom. Primarily because I see some similarities to the Hailey Dunn case.

I agree with your viewpoint, particularily the last paragraph. Billie Dunn also gave a questionable account of the last time she saw her daughter and also covered for her boyfriend.

As you state, there could be non-nefarious reasons for lying/covering. But it's just as plausible there could be involvement of some sort, so in protecting him she is also protecting herself.

Has anyone been watching Gray Hughes? They verified SS telegram account that was last active on the morning of the murder, at around 04:54 in the morning. Might not be relevant but from knowing what goes on with telegram I wouldn't put it past him.
Hard to imagine why JS was more tired than SS, since SS was up at ~5am that morning to take Maddie to school. Had he just woken up about that time, or had he been up all night? Either way, JS is the one saying she was too tired to take Maddie to school. Makes it kinda hard to believe.

Hard to imagine why JS was more tired than SS, since SS was up at ~5am that morning to take Maddie to school. Had he just woken up about that time, or had he been up all night? Either way, JS is the one saying she was too tired to take Maddie to school. Makes it kinda hard to believe.
That's my thought too. I also wonder what the time of death is now knowing he was up a few hours before.

I think it's interesting you keep mentioning JS as being a liar.
Do we know for a fact, that she intentionally lied to LE? No, we don't. And interestingly enough, LE have never come out and said "mom lied and committed a crime in doing so". That's only been said here (and probably social media, but I'm not following there).
Is it possible she misremembered the day, thinking it was that morning she saw MS getting ready for school?
(Any moms out there know exactly what I'm talking about?)
Is it possible she said something to the affect of "I'm pretty sure it was this morning I saw her getting ready" and the officer wrote it the way he did? Someone here did notice it was odd that the report said "observed" and someone else mentioned it might have just been "written that way" by the officer, instead of JS actually saying it that way. Which makes sense to me.
Is it possible she later realized it wasn't actually that morning and told LE, and they simply haven't cleared that up publicly because it's so far down the list of what actually matters in this case?

I think all are actually possible, but it's curious how opinion here is mostly leaning only one way.
I'm still giving this lady the benefit of the doubt. The presser didn't change my mind about that because even though a reporter did single mom out with a question, the answer didn't single her out, but included her in the "everyone close to Madeline" comment. Which is one of the most common things LE ever says at this point of an investigation, as they're following evidence & allowing that to tell the story.

I'm aware I'm in the extreme minority here but I'm seeing this lady as a victim, unless LE say different and so far, they have not.

jmo
In some ways, you and I agree. Although I'm completely undecided whether JS is a victim or not. My thought is that she could easily and for various reasons have been mistaken about the 8 o'clock time, even if she had the day right. If so, I expect she would have straightened it out with LE the second she realized.

Conversations get side-tracked. A long-winded person may start somewhere, make a statement then get interrupted and never get back to the most important part. And the wrong impression has been created. People misspeak, mis-remember. Are influenced by others and keep their mouths shut thinking the other person is more likely to be right. All those are reasons LE needs more than one interview.

Gaslighting? Don't know about SS and JS. I rely on my own experience of living with someone who lied when the truth would have served him better. Still, over 30 years divorced and once in a while I may recall something then have to remind myself, "You don't know that's true. All you have is him telling you." If it doesn't make sense it was probably a lie.

Look, whether JS was a genuinely distraught mom or a criminal attempting to hid her actions, there seems little doubt she would have been in a dreadful state at the time she was attempting to give those interviews. That kind of stress undoubtedly influenced her appearance, her memory, her speech, everything in the most critical times of trying to explain to people what had happened.

There's not been enough information released for me to be positive of what happened.

Snipped for focus

I would add to that, she's never seemed to me to express much love or affection toward Maddie.

Agree.

I feel we most heard about MS flaws and problems from those who were interviewed--ADHD, fearful, forgetful, doesn't know her address, the whole timeline was because MS wanted to walk to school/leave early, couldn't find her so we though she ___, etc. (Except for SS, but he had his own self serving reasons to say nice things.)

As a mom, I feel like I would have been blaming myself more--i.e. "I wish I had made sure she had her cellphone", "I wish I had taken her to school" "I miss her, I love her...." Anything along those lines.

It all feels like such a disconnect to me, and I have watched each of the interviews we have several times trying to understand and make better sense of them.

This!

There is also a HUGE difference between seeing MS on Sunday night and seeing her at 8am Monday. How the heck do you mess that up?

If you were really unclear on the exact time Monday morning, because you really were exhausted from working late, you would say something like this: "I know it was early in the morning, because I worked very late and when I woke up to pee(.take the dog out/whatever), realized I was in no condition to drive so I asked SS if he would take MS and he agreed. I fell back asleep"LE: Do you know what time it was? "No, I didn't look at a clock, but the sun was just coming up." or something like that. You wouldn't give an exact time if you did not know! Or at least I wouldn't, because your young daughter is missing and you want to be clear on the details. It matters! And LE probably asked her questions in a way that made this clear--i.e. facts matter.

Or if you DID happen to look at your phone or something else and you remembered for some reason, then yes you would give the exact time. "Yes, I remember it was 7:00 on the clock on the stove when SS said he would take MS to school, I said thanks and went back to sleep"

I check in for updates, but like in most cases where LE has gone silent - the discussion is primarily rehash and opinions. But I am intrested in reading poster's thoughts on Mom. Primarily because I see some similarities to the Hailey Dunn case.

I agree with your viewpoint, particularily the last paragraph. Billie Dunn also gave a questionable account of the last time she saw her daughter and also covered for her boyfriend.

As you state, there could be non-nefarious reasons for lying/covering. But it's just as plausible there could be involvement of some sort, so in protecting him she is also protecting herself.
Apologies for quoting my own post. One more similarity to add. Both Moms talked about how “happy” their daughters were. Seemingly having no real emotional connection to their child. MOO.

Agree.

I feel we most heard about MS flaws and problems from those who were interviewed--ADHD, fearful, forgetful, doesn't know her address, the whole timeline was because MS wanted to walk to school/leave early, couldn't find her so we though she ___, etc. (Except for SS, but he had his own self serving reasons to say nice things.)

As a mom, I feel like I would have been blaming myself more--i.e. "I wish I had made sure she had her cellphone", "I wish I had taken her to school" "I miss her, I love her...." Anything along those lines.

It all feels like such a disconnect to me, and I have watched each of the interviews we have several times trying to understand and make better sense of them.
I seriously doubt a barely 13 year old wouldn't know her own address. Especially one with so many talents that I gleaned from her obit video so I'm calling BS on that. Drums, guitar, ballet, swimming AND wearing a mermaid suit, etc., etc.

But let's pretend she didn't know her own address (suppresses an eyeroll)... The red X is where the gate into the property is (verified by the Goog car unable to go any further, and by clicking on the street view image of that exact spot where I saw the gates and gatehouse that we've all seen). It's like... c'mon... you can't tell me that an intelligent teen/preteen couldn't find that house (1st right, 1st left, 2nd house in across from the water) even if she DIDN'T know her address. I'm calling BS on that which raises the question... why would JS even say something as odd as that? For her story that "she was taken" and "doesn't know her address"? smh

1711221041164.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members