UK UK - Finn Creaney, 32, dropped off Loch Naver, Sutherland to start hillwalking route, 25 Mar 2022

It's not much of a shortcut really- I guess he did it for the fun/challenge. I wonder what the other things that were found were. I'm wondering if he tied a few branches together to make a small raft to put the rucksack on? So he'd swim pushing the rucksack? I'm glad they've some idea what has happened, hard though it is.

This week is Finn Creaney's birthday.
Finn was 32 when he went missing from #Pitcalnie, #Scotland, on 25 March 2022.

Our thoughts are with Finn and his loved ones.

Finn, if you're reading this, call or text Missing People on 116 000 - it's free and confidential.

To help #findFinnCreaney, please share this appeal and report any sightings to us.

I am more confused now than ever. It is now saying he went missing from Pitcalnie, however he was meant to have been dropped off at Altnaharra @ Loch Naver & his backpack was recently found at the side of Loch Naver… initially Finn was only reported to have been carrying his phone, a water bottle, a knife and a wool poncho/blanket… a few months later he was said to have also had a berghaus backpack, Loch Naver is a popular area how could his belongs have remained unfounded for so long? Finns phone lost signal in Lairg , his car was parked in Golspie where he intended to finish his journey so Why has this now changed to missing from Pitcalnie? Was this Finns home village? Nothing I’ve ever read about this makes any sense, Something is just not sitting right with me, I hope I’m wrong but I suspect foul play in this case. Hopefully with Finns backpack being found recently and it now saying missing from Pitcalnie there has been some progress in Finns missing person case & that Finn can be located soon.

Last edited:
Sorry I stand corrected, according to statement on police Scotland website on March 31st 2022, 6 days after Finn had gone missing. It states Finn was carrying a green backpack.
Finn Creaney - Police Scotland However in this article almost 3 months after Finn went missing his dad was quoted to have said Finn was only carrying minimum items water bottle, knife and wool poncho.

This article from Oct this year states that Finn is from Pitcalnie. So possibly Finn is missing from home? I think we can assume from his dad’s comments that Finns belongings & a few other items that he can’t really get into ( things that made them think he attempted to swim to cut his journey time? Just thinking out loud with this one? ) were found near to his “possible start point” in Altnaharra… I found this comment interesting! So Finns belongings found 18 months later at the side of Loch Naver near to Altnaharra where he was dropped off… “his possible start point” in the immediate search area of a large scale police search & popular with fishermen, dog walkers etc and they weren’t found for 18 months? I really do wonder if Finns possessions had been there that whole time or if they had more recently been placed there? Quotes from Finns dad from this article “That was up to two weeks ago when a couple of deerstalkers on their way to work at Altnaharra came across Finn's rucksack at the side of Loch Naver and after a close inspection of the rucksack and its belongings and a few other items that we can't really get into we now believe that Finn attempted to swim the loch in order to cut his journey time somewhat to the coast. "Police divers have been down last week and they searched the area where the rucksack was found and his possible start point and they came up with nothing.
Father of missing Easter Ross man 'fears worst' after rucksack find

Last edited:
Loch Naver is a popular area how could his belongs have remained unfounded for so long?
popular with fishermen, dog walkers etc and they weren’t found for 18 months? I really do wonder if Finns possessions had been there that whole time or if they had more recently been placed there?
Loch Naver is not a "popular" area. Nearby Altnaharra has a population of around 50 people. There's no other significant settlements for miles around.
My opinion is that whatever belongings were found on the loch side have been there since the time Finn went missing and simply haven't been found before because nobody has walked along that section of shore line.

Police Scotland Inspector Chris Murray said at the time: "I would thank the public who have already been in touch and also encourage anyone who thinks they may have seen something, or has any information they feel relevant to make contact with us on 101, quoting reference number 0912 of March 28, 2022.
I find it interesting that around the time Finn went missing police after engaging with the public who had already been in touch they were appealing for anyone who may have seen anything or has any information they feel relevant to get in touch, rather than directly appealing to Finn to get in touch / or anyone who has seen Finn between Altnaharra & Golspie. I think I remember Finn being classed as a high risk missing person at the time. I find the lack of sightings of Finn around Altnaharra caravan park & where his belongings were found, in the afternoon when you would expect there would be a few people around very concerning. All just my own opinion.

This was not a case I was familiar with so I’ve just caught up on the thread and read a few articles.

My heart breaks for the family I really think this is a case that proves that living with the ‘unknown’ is actually so much worse than a body being found etc - at least the latter allows you to grieve and eventually work on trying to move on with life.

I hope his family get answers soon.

Loch Naver is not a "popular" area. Nearby Altnaharra has a population of around 50 people. There's no other significant settlements for miles around.
My opinion is that whatever belongings were found on the loch side have been there since the time Finn went missing and simply haven't been found before because nobody has walked along that section of shore line.
Okay I accept popular area was the wrong term to use, but Finn was dropped off in the afternoon at a caravan park that looks to be used by touring motor homes. Surely there should have been some sightings of him by owners of the site / tourists in campervans? Drivers driving on the road he was dropped off on, locals or general tourists exploring the area? And for all the same reasons as well as a large police search in an area so close to where he was dropped off were his belongings not found until 18 months later? However you could be right and perhaps I’m just cynical.

The update from the family-run facebook group is quite a different tone:
2 Years Since Finn went for his Adventure! We all Miss him everyday!
1f4af.png
It's a strange Anniversary this year as we have a clearer picture of what has happened to him and this time we are aware he wont be back However , Its important to Remember the memories we have all created together When he was here so we keep Finn alive in our hearts always!
1f4af.png

I know we are quiet on the page right now but we are taking time to process the new information and come up with a plan to potentially recover Finn from Loch Naver however for now still trying to get things figured out. Thanks for your support and such throughout.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back