Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been about a month since she was located and no charges for murder or additional arrests. I am beginning to feel that this was a suicide.
Some cases don't have an arrest for years, even when LE knows who committed the crime. It takes time to legally gather and analyze evidence, conduct interviews, and get toxicology reports. Real life isn't like tv shows where they wrap up cases in an hour. The main suspect is behind bars and not going anywhere, so I am not sure why some are wanting the case rushed by LE. If mom is involved, she will be arrested in due time.

Some cases don't have an arrest for years, even when LE knows who committed the crime. It takes time to legally gather and analyze evidence, conduct interviews, and get toxicology reports. Real life isn't like tv shows where they wrap up cases in an hour. The main suspect is behind bars and not going anywhere, so I am not sure why some are wanting the case rushed by LE. If mom is involved, she will be arrested in due time.
This has been stated numerous times already. I don’t think anyone is wanting the case rushed, just anxious to hear news since LE has been tight-lipped for a month now. While it’s true that investigations take time, it’s a little less common (of course it does happen) for LE to be so silent, so we’re all waiting to hear the “more information we plan to release in the future,” that has been mentioned a couple of times. So coming here and going back and forth about the possibilities isn’t so much people wanting LE to “rush the case,” as it is people keeping the discussion going, all while hoping new information will be released soon.

I have considered this before, but the idea gets shot down because of the LE press thinger said it is a homicide investigation. Yet, saying that, they have changed their minds on other things. Maybe they have regarding MOD; for example, maybe in the beginning, it was cut and dry; they found the video of SS dumping stuff and the unalive MS, then found the crap on his phone. It looks like SS killed her. But maybe toxicology or other forensic or investigative evidence has led them to suicide instead?

ETA: JMO and some grammar, typo stuff
A suicide doesn’t make sense IMO. Madeline seemed to have a great birthday party. Nothing at all about her behavior that day signaled she was suicidal.

And if it was anything close to suicide, Stephan would not have gone to such lengths to obfuscate the situation. MS had no prior history of suicidal ideation, self-harm, or attempts.

Teens do commit suicide, but MS was a brand new teenager and on the younger end of the teenage spectrum for suicide. It would be quite odd that suicide would even be a possibility with 0 mention from family of the above points I made. As a formerly suicidal person with many attempts, you have to be pretty down and out to decide on a method and try to go through with it. From what we know to this point, there was no indication that MS was anything other than happy the day of her birthday party.

Also, JS attested that MS was happy and in good spirits before going to bed for the night. So a suicide theory would be in stark contrast to JS’s alleged story.

This has been stated numerous times already. I don’t think anyone is wanting the case rushed, just anxious to hear news since LE has been tight-lipped for a month now. While it’s true that investigations take time, it’s a little less common (of course it does happen) for LE to be so silent, so we’re all waiting to hear the “more information we plan to release in the future,” that has been mentioned a couple of times. So coming here and going back and forth about the possibilities isn’t so much people wanting LE to “rush the case,” as it is people keeping the discussion going, all while hoping new information will be released soon.
I think we all get the anxiety. Imagine being MS’s family and friends…but as I’ve stated before in other threads, I 100% believe Andrew Bain is putting together an irrefutably powerful prosecution and will use SS as an example to future pedos/murderers.

Check out what his office just accomplished (IMO the MS case(s) have spurred this new satellite office):

ORLANDO, Fla. —
The Victim Service Center of Central Florida now has a new option to help victims of sexual assault and violent crimes.

The nonprofit offers hope and healing services to victims, and they have a team of trauma-informed counselors, social workers, and therapists.

Lui Damiani, the center's executive director, said the center opened a new satellite office inside State Attorney Andrew Bain's office.

With the new resource available, he said victims will be able to receive services immediately when they have a court case.

"Historically, what happens is people find us, and oftentimes it's after their original victimization, and we may lose contact with them or never come into contact with them," Damiani said. "And then the court system is a whole opportunity where people who may have been victimized a long time ago, but now their cases are finally coming to trial, or they've found a perpetrator, and now they have their day in court, it's an opportunity for them to seek justice, but it also can be a trigger and cause them to need our services."

The center's most recent data shows that they helped more than 9,000 people from 2022 to 2023.

On average, Damiani said victims reaching out to them wait nine years before seeking help and resources.

They are hoping that will change now that they have added the satellite office.

"We've been able to provide a little bit of training to the folks that work within the court system," Damiani said. "They can identify that this is an individual that could use some emotional support and some therapy, and some counseling in the moment. And they can literally just bring them straight to us."

The center also offers a 24/7 confidential helpline for anyone who needs victim support. That number is 407-500-HEAL.”

A suicide doesn’t make sense IMO. Madeline seemed to have a great birthday party. Nothing at all about her behavior that day signaled she was suicidal.

And if it was anything close to suicide, Stephan would not have gone to such lengths to obfuscate the situation. MS had no prior history of suicidal ideation, self-harm, or attempts.

Teens do commit suicide, but MS was a brand new teenager and on the younger end of the teenage spectrum for suicide. It would be quite odd that suicide would even be a possibility with 0 mention from family of the above points I made. As a formerly suicidal person with many attempts, you have to be pretty down and out to decide on a method and try to go through with it. From what we know to this point, there was no indication that MS was anything other than happy the day of her birthday party.

Also, JS attested that MS was happy and in good spirits before going to bed for the night. So a suicide theory would be in stark contrast to JS’s alleged story.
People who are suicidal more often than not do not present as suicidal. That’s why in a lot of cases it’s such a shock to loved ones and you hear all of the “he/she seemed so happy…” How she presented to others is not necessarily a reliable indicator of whether or not she had any suicidal ideation. Especially for a young girl who clearly already had to keep some heinous secrets.

I’m not saying it was suicide, just pointing out the other side of it. MOO.

People who are suicidal more often than not do not present as suicidal. That’s why in a lot of cases it’s such a shock to loved ones and you hear all of the “he/she seemed so happy…” How she presented to others is not necessarily a reliable indicator of whether or not she had any suicidal ideation. Especially for a young girl who clearly already had to keep some heinous secrets.

I’m not saying it was suicide, just pointing out the other side of it. MOO.
I’m aware as someone that’s been in that situation myself. However, I would wager that most parents who find their children dead from suicide do not go to elaborate lengths to make the death look like a disappearance and/or kidnapping. If SS was as smart as he pretended to be online, he might have been able to think his way through a staged suicide scene…but even if he had been able to make the initial scene appear like a suicide, his phone contents would immediately bring it into question.

SS’s criminal acts and the comments given by both him and JS gridlock them into murder, manslaughter, or accidental death at a minimum IMHO.

Is it a theory the defense could put forward? Sure, depending on the evidence and what the ME’s report details. But highly unlikely and I would think a losing argument.

I’m aware as someone that’s been in that situation myself. However, I would wager that most parents who find their children dead from suicide do not go to elaborate lengths to make the death look like a disappearance and/or kidnapping. If SS was as smart as he pretended to be online, he might have been able to think his way through a staged suicide scene…but even if he had been able to make the initial scene appear like a suicide, his phone contents would immediately bring it into question.

SS’s criminal acts and the comments given by both him and JS gridlock them into murder, manslaughter, or accidental death at a minimum IMHO.

Is it a theory the defense could put forward? Sure, depending on the evidence and what the ME’s report details. But highly unlikely and I would think a losing argument.
I tend to agree on the elaborate ruse which is why I was saying I’m not saying it is a suicide, just giving the other side of the perspective. I like to consider all possibilities; my only thought with SS trying to cover up a suicide is if he was afraid people would start to ask questions and lead back to him and the abuse. But I agree that the elaborate and messy coverup looks more like homicide.

IMO, anything JS has stated publicly about Madeline's supposed demeanor that nite: there is no factual information known about where was Madeline after the party, where was JS all day sunday, sunday nite, monday morning and all day monday leading up to 'madeline is missing'. nor do we know all of SS's movements. we have no idea if JS was in the house with Madeline at bedtime, or if Madeline herself was even in the house at bedtime.

LE has released an abbreviated version of events concerning the arrest of SS for the SA. no information regarding JS except the missing report, 'she saw her getting dressed for school at 8am'. (but told the public bedtime). but yet Madeline is visible in the car returning to the complex, apparently deceased at 8:19am.

suicide didnt cross my mind at all. LE's carefully worded presser, used words such as pursuing justice, holding those accountable. LE is keeping the investigation pretty tight.

It's been about a month since she was located and no charges for murder or additional arrests. I am beginning to feel that this was a suicide.
No one turns a suicide into a murder by staging a kidnapping/runaway scenario. There's absolutely no reason to do that, and I can't find precedent for it (I've seen the defense make that argument though).

A former DA in the area, estimated that it would take 3-6 months until charges are filed. DNA testing takes time, and there's no rush with him locked up with charges that already guarantee he'll never see the light of day again.

Nothing at all about her behavior that day signaled she was suicidal.

MS had no prior history of suicidal ideation, self-harm, or attempts.
You are making claims here that you're stating as fact and you’d have no way of knowing.
From where are you getting this information?
Suicide presents in different ways. Madeline may or may not have experienced suicidal thoughts or ideation. We just don’t know.
It likely is not a suicide in this case imo but the statements you have made here are not accurate. MOO

Last edited:
I think it's offensive to argue that this poor girl died by suicide. I think they are just waiting for absolutely all evidence, to make sure every charge will be strong.

My suspicion/opinion: SS stayed there overnight sometimes, but JS felt she had to hide this from her family. He may have given both JS and MS drugs to put them into deeper sleep. JS just didn't want to admit she slept through her daughter disappearing, because people are so judgmental, and maybe she felt ashamed about it. So she repeated what SS told her. She has low self-esteem (which I'm not judging, but it must be true to stay in this relationship) and has been in deep denial about him for their entire relationship. She was in denial about the abuse and was probably treated badly by him, too. But she made excuses to herself. And she didn't want to let herself think that SS didn't actually drop Madeline at school, so she made herself believe what he said... All my current opinion only.

My opinion only:

He killed her because she was on the cusp of telling her grandmother what was going on and he either overheard or something she flat out told him.

Maybe she was at a point that she could fight back and was becoming more emboldened.

I doubt suicide... however, in my mind it would still be the equivalent of homicide... like when peers bully a classmate to death.

JMO

I think it's offensive to argue that this poor girl died by suicide. I think they are just waiting for absolutely all evidence, to make sure every charge will be strong.

My suspicion/opinion: SS stayed there overnight sometimes, but JS felt she had to hide this from her family. He may have given both JS and MS drugs to put them into deeper sleep. JS just didn't want to admit she slept through her daughter disappearing, because people are so judgmental, and maybe she felt ashamed about it. So she repeated what SS told her. She has low self-esteem (which I'm not judging, but it must be true to stay in this relationship) and has been in deep denial about him for their entire relationship. She was in denial about the abuse and was probably treated badly by him, too. But she made excuses to herself. And she didn't want to let herself think that SS didn't actually drop Madeline at school, so she made herself believe what he said... All my current opinion only.
Many people here have had really good theories, this one fits the best for me also. Ive thought this for a while now. There are lots of things that make a person think shes involved ( "we"/going along with a story/ huggng) and the same things can also make a person think she is not or could have another reasonable explanation (like above) it's all in your perspective. I dont believe JS and SS were close enough nor J.S sick enough for her to be involved or cover for him, esp when it came to her child. I also don't think she could manage a cover up emotionally or not for long. Why would she now? knowing what she knows. There is no relationship to salvage now. I think she was shocked and probably feels a ton of guilt and needed to disappear to process. Imagine dealing with that while being attacked. I watched a short video last might ( with old info) and the comments were appalling. They were just pure unwarranted hate (given the facts we know)
I think the silence right now from L.E is strategic, not that they havent figured it out. The police are just getting all their ducks in a perfectly straight row.

Last edited:
As a formerly suicidal person with many attempts
Nothing at all about her behavior that day signaled she was suicidal.
As a survivor family member of suicides' victims, I participate in family support and prevention and am glad you are also a survivor and are here.
It's important to realize that behavior that day may not go towards proving or disproving whether or not someone was suicidal.
We have a couple of (posed) photos and maybe a short video, we didn't even observe her behavior that day. Suicide education includes that parents ask and not just believe there will be obvious signs (a dangerous myth)

I'm not giving an opinion of what happened to our victim in this case, the behavior of SS is all we have at this point, while we wait.

Does MS have bruises on her neck?View attachment 493961
Really hard to tell from the image quality here.

My thoughts are if MS DID have visible injuries from the abuse, she would have been forced to wear something else.

Although along similar lines, the poor child lived in Florida, a place where many run around in bathing suits mush of the time. Another reason I lean towards it being VERY difficult for SS to have covered up years of abuse. I think he would have left marks on her at some point that others would have noticed, ESPECIALLY her mother. :( Poor child.

Suicide attempts in young girls, especially would probably be a "warning cry" initially, and we heard nothing about this--lots about "ADHD, etc. JMO but I strongly doubt MS took her own life. I think there would be more evidence suggesting she was considering it, more outward evidence and if she had been self harming, I think where bruises possibly by SS were mentioned by another poster, we might have seen self inflicted injuries on her arms, as an example. (I'm trying not to trigger anyone, and yes I am aware that behavior can occur on legs as well.)

Suicide is not impossible, but I think murder is much, much, much more likely. LE just needs to know what happened, and who was involved. There are many reasons that might not be clear yet, and as they have all said, SS isn't going anywhere. He's the one who had all of the horrible stuff on his phone, and he is the one who was driving around with her body in his car, so he 100% is guilty of plenty of horrific crimes.

Does MS have bruises on her neck?View attachment 493961
If it is a bruise it's sure odd shaped. Not finger marks, or ligature marks, but a straight line horizontally across her neck with a different color above and below it. So, since I can't figure out what would cause a bruise like that (like an article of clothing that was WAY too tight since it's so uniform, and below the 'line')... I'm venturing to guess it's a shadow in the picture.

Something that has been bothering me: Police have said that when SS returned to the complex at 8:19 am on the 26th, MS was visible in the car and believed to be deceased. I assume this is from video from the gate cameras. I haven’t seen any mention of what time he left the complex and if MS was visible in the car. We know SS was in the complex at 7:35 am seen dropping MS’s belongings in the dumpster. Do we have proof MS came home on the 25th?

If she left with SS on the 26th was she alive? What changed that she appeared deceased on the return 1/2 hour later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee