Australia- Nine people stabbed including 9 month baby @ the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, suspect fatally shot, Sydney, 13 April 2024

“I heard a scream somewhere outside. Then a voiceover throughout Myer said ‘Code Brown.’
She said “we were then told by staff that something very serious had happened in the centre”.

We had to run and hide in a location on the floor which turned out to be a storeroom. There would have been about 70 or 80 of us in there. We were told to keep our phones on silent and stay quiet. It was very hot in there.

6 people now deceased :( ( including perp)

Sydney stabbing live updates: Westfield Bondi Junction attack leaves six dead, including attacker shot by police, and multiple people in critical condition​

This kind of mass casualty event (not counting car accidents, natural disasters and family violence) is so rare here. I think the last one I can think of is the police and neighbour shooting by those people on that property in Queensland.

I've been to this shopping centre, but not for a long time. Been to Bondi Junction a lot in my late teens. My grandmother lived in Bondi as a very young child. It's deeply shocking, and I'm incredibly sad for everyone affected.

MOO

This kind of mass casualty event (not counting car accidents, natural disasters and family violence) is so rare here. I think the last one I can think of is the police and neighbour shooting by those people on that property in Queensland.

I've been to this shopping centre, but not for a long time. Been to Bondi Junction a lot in my late teens. My grandmother lived in Bondi as a very young child. It's deeply shocking, and I'm incredibly sad for everyone affected.

MOO
Thankfully it is rare.

One thing the NSWAS does well is respond to mass casualties, their response to the bus crash @ Greta last year was also textbook.

Thinking of them all & all the stuff they are going to go thru in the future.

<modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like many of the staff in the shops were fabulous ... potentially saving lives themselves. They calmly crammed people into storage rooms in the back of their shops, and locked the doors.

imo
I used to work in this shopping centre and remember vividly how bustling and busy it always was... I can only imagine the horror the staff and shoppers felt. Well done to them for responding so calmly. I would have absolutely panicked!

Thankfully it is rare.

It is so rare that I was (almost) surprised to hear the shops have an emergency system in place to basically do a lockdown. With Myer issuing its storewide Code Brown, and other shops responding similarly.

But I am guessing that the Lindt siege and other random events have shown the need for the emergency system.

imo

It is so rare that I was (almost) surprised to hear the shops have an emergency system in place to basically do a lockdown. With Myer issuing its storewide Code Brown.

But I am guessing that the Lindt siege and other random events have shown the need for the emergency system.

imo
Yep, one of the reasons for the very speedy inquest was because we were not prepared for stuff like this at all. We really had no warning systems.......

A lot of lessons were learnt from the Lindt Siege.

Thinking of all the Lindt Siege hostages tonight, I'm sure this would be triggering for them :(

I used to work in this shopping centre and remember vividly how bustling and busy it always was... I can only imagine the horror the staff and shoppers felt. Well done to them for responding so calmly. I would have absolutely panicked!
It actually makes me feel really reassured. It tells me that Westfield has protocols for this kind of event, and the staff all knew what to do, in all the different individual retail outlets. There is no doubt in my mind it saved lives.

Our local plaza used to be independent when I worked there as a teen, and I don't remember ANYTHING about this kind of event in our training. Fire, theft, how not to be racist or sexually creepy to your coworkers, but nothing about this kind of thing. Our plaza has now been a Westfield for the last decade or more. Because of today, I feel certain they have the same protocols. I imagine a lot of things changed and came in after 9/11.

MOO

Albo is speaking right now. This is a sign of all Australians ... brave, strong and together. For those who have been affected, Australia is with you.

Now the AFP is speaking .... they are supporting NSW police in the investigation. ASIO has been informed.

Reporter: Is terror involved .. terrorist organisation?

Albo: Not speculating, allow police officers to go about their work.

Sounds like a lot of brave acts, and the lone police officer facing him down a true hero. Thoughts to all those impacted.
This is right next to Bondi is a tourist hot spot, and the location of arguably Australia’s most popular beach, known for sunshine, swimming and fun. makes this tragedy even more unbelievable.

Sounds like a lot of brave acts, and the lone police officer facing him down a true hero. Thoughts to all those impacted.
This is right next to Bondi is a tourist hot spot, and the location of arguably Australia’s most popular beach, known for sunshine, swimming and fun. makes this tragedy even more unbelievable.

So many people helping other people. In all of the links posted here so far, I have seen ...

- A man trying to stop the killer with a bollard, as the killer comes up an escalator. (9News video)
- Another man approaching the armed killer outside a shop.
- Two young men who said the mother who was stabbed 'threw her baby at them' so they cared for the baby till help arrived. They thought the baby will be okay .. (maybe this is the baby who was transported to hospital?)
- Shop staff helping their customers and others, giving them water, sitting them down, shielding them in their storerooms.

And the lone officer who made sure she got in one shot straight to the chest and stopped the killer.

imo

Last edited:

"Female cop's incredible act after single-handedly taking down mass stabber:

Hero officer went in alone after massacre.

The police officer who confronted and shot dead a knifeman who stabbed nine bystanders at a busy shopping centre and then performed CPR on injured victims

has been hailed as a hero
by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

The hero officer is an inspector in the NSW Police force.

'She engaged immediately on her arrival to the scene',
Assistant Commissioner Anthony Cooke told reporters.

'The officer was guided to the location of the offender
by people who were in the centre, and she took the actions that she did, saving a range of people's lives.'

Shocked bystanders recalled the officer's heroic actions.

"All she said was
‘Put it down’. Just once,"
Jason Dixon told reporters.

'Then she shot him in the chest and he went down'.

'Then when he fell on the ground
she was giving him CPR'.

Mr Albanese held a snap press conference in Canberra to address the tragedy on Saturday night,
where he singled out the bravery of the police officer who shot dead the knifeman.

'She entered the proceedings that were taking place, obviously very dangerous,
by herself,'
he said.

'She is certainly a hero.

There is no doubt that she saved lives through her actions.

Today is a reminder
that those people who wear a uniform
are people who rush to danger,
not away from it'.
"

Last edited:

MOO
Yeah, most of our mass murders are domestic violence situations. As you’ve already noted, it thankfully seems the response to this event was quite coordinated (both in terms of the employees at the centre + emergency responders).

RIP to all victims and hoping for the best outcome for those recovering from their injuries. Props to the officer who took the knifeman down. I guess we might not actually find out what the motive was here? I hope we do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back