Australia- Nine people stabbed including 9 month baby @ the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, suspect fatally shot, Sydney, 13 April 2024

'Offender had focused on women and avoided the men,' says commissioner​

1h ago
By Georgie Hewson
Commissioner Webb is asked about whether the offender was avoiding men and deliberately targeting women and children.
"The videos speak for themselves, don't they?" she says.
"It's obvious to me, it's obvious to detectives that seems to be an area of interest that the offender focused on women and avoided the men.
"We don't know what was operating in the mind of the offender and that's why it's important now that detectives spend so much time interviewing those who know him, were around him, close to him.
"So we can get some insight into what he might have been thinking.
"We won't know necessarily but we have to take a judgement from those who know him."

Good morning,
There are many, many posts about mental health, illicit drug use, and compliance.
I live and have lived with bipolar 2 since I turned 18. I was born in a Midwest state prior to emigrating to Australia in 1999.
My diagnosis came after post traumatic incidents which I won't go into detail. Let's just say that sometimes moving to the other side of the world, doesn't fix the trauma of heart and mind.
1) Mental health care here has its advantages and disadvantages. I live in a rural area, my GP is a 6 hour return trip. The nearest GP has a 4-8 year wait list. Problem is the GPs (general practitioner), will not move to rural towns. My town is utterly delightful. I blame RANZCOG for inefficiencies in medical practitioner standards and accessibility to housing in rural areas
Cost- $150 round trip.
2) the cost of care as ASTRONOMICAL if not on a disability pension. I do not have one. Luckily, GP is bulk billed. I cannot afford to see a psychiatrist regularly.
-seeing a new one in June, the appointment is $500.
-Medications are not subsidised and cost $100 per month.
-The most important part of my care is therapy- CBT sessions are $200 per visit. You can get a care plan here which covers 6 visits per year. But, some psychologists do not accept the referral and still charge the full amount.
3) housing, the $$$ for rent is too high for anyone, let alone the disadvantaged. So many people end up homeless
For some patients with a mental illness, they can get support if they have had a community treatment order or have been hospitalised at a reduced cost.
I have found that there have been generalisations in this thread about schizophrenia, treatment, mandatory treatment. I won't give an opinion about posts. It's a difficult mental illness to treat as is bipolar 1 and 2. Support is very difficult to access, my support group (thank God) is online and we have monthly catch ups via zoom.
Australia does have NDIS (funding), but it's also not easily accessed and funding is the proverbial circus.
We are let down by our systems here. I cannot stress enough how difficult the journey has been as someone with insight and compliance. Someone without it may turn to illicit drug use, which is more accessible than affordable, quality health care.
To be frank the coroner will focus on mental health care as a focal point in the coronial enquiry. This should have never happened. I surmise this may be a catalyst for a royal commission into mental health, also femicide (another epidemic here in Australia). The nexus of mental health and femicide must be addressed.
Coroner's Court NSW:
Coronial findings and recommendations
I read regularly the findings with my background study and profession. Many are DV cases, mental health incidents, etc.

Last edited:
Good morning,
There are many, many posts about mental health, illicit drug use, and compliance.
I live and have lived with bipolar 2 since I turned 18. I was born in a Midwest state prior to emigrating to Australia in 1999.
My diagnosis came after post traumatic incidents which I won't go into detail. Let's just say that sometimes moving to the other side of the world, doesn't fix the trauma of heart and mind.
1) Mental health care here has its advantages and disadvantages. I live in a rural area, my GP is a 6 hour return trip. The nearest GP has a 4-8 year wait list. Problem is the GPs (general practitioner), will not move to rural towns. My town is utterly delightful. I blame RANZCOG for inefficiencies in medical practitioner standards and accessibility to housing in rural areas
2) the cost of care as ASTRONOMICAL if not on a disability pension. I do not have one. Luckily, GP is bulk billed. I cannot afford to see a psychiatrist regularly.
-seeing a new one in June, the appointment is $500. Medications are not subsidised and cost $100 per month. The most important thing is therapy- CBT sessions are $200 per visit. You can get a care plan here which covers 6 visits per year. But, some psychologists do not accept the referral and still charge the full amount.
3) housing, the $$$ for rent is too high for anyone, let alone the disadvantaged. So many people end up homeless
For some patients with a mental illness, they can get support if they have had a community treatment order or have been hospitalised at a reduced cost.
I have found that there have been generalisations in this thread about schizophrenia, treatment, mandatory treatment. I won't give an opinion about posts. It's a difficult mental illness to treat as is bipolar 1 and 2. Support is very difficult to access, my support group (than God) is online and we have monthly catch ups via zoom.
Australia does have NDIS (funding), but it's also not easily accessed and funding is the proverbial circus.
We are let down by our systems here. I cannot stress enough how difficult the journey has been as someone with insight and compliance. Someone without it may turn to illicit drug use, which is more accessible than affordable, quality health care.
To be frank the coroner will focus on mental health care as a focal point in the coronial enquiry. This should have never happened. I surmise this may be a catalyst for a royal commission into mental health, also femicide (another epidemic here in Australia). The nexus of mental health and femicide must be addressed.
Coroner's Court NSW:
I read regularly the findings with my background study and profession. Many are DV cases, mental health incidents, etc.
Exactly, it's barrier after barrier after barrier.

Well said & I wish you the best navigating this broken system , where it seems Mental Health is at the bottom of everyone's list........and than a tragic event like this happens & everyone wonders why...............

I would have to agree with the above - the area of mental health is woefully neglected in Australia. I am in a major regional city and the waitlist for a psychiatrist is well over 12 months. Then when you get an appt the cost is prohibitive to the point that a lot cannot afford it. There is no public mental health services - not because they don’t exist but because they are underfunded and overburdened.

In this case I put the blame on the government for the lack of mental health services. Yes JG did the wrong thing but just maybe the situation would have been different if he were able to access the help that he needed.

Thank you DS, again.
As you can tell I am very passionate about the care that Mental Health patients don't receive in our health systems & I'll advocate for them till the cows come home.

It's not uncommon for these patients, who present to out hospital emergency departments in crisis, to stay waiting in very busy emergency departments for days on end awaiting a bed in a mental health facility.

How is that good for them? Most Emergency departments have one safe room for these patients . So what do you do with the next ones that keep coming?

I would have to agree with the above - the area of mental health is woefully neglected in Australia. I am in a major regional city and the waitlist for a psychiatrist is well over 12 months. Then when you get an appt the cost is prohibitive to the point that a lot cannot afford it. There is no public mental health services - not because they don’t exist but because they are underfunded and overburdened.

In this case I put the blame on the government for the lack of mental health services. Yes JG did the wrong thing but just maybe the situation would have been different if he were able to access the help that he needed.
I agree wholeheartedly with this post. My cost of managing a chronic illness is $5-10k out of pocket. I'm glad I live in Australia though, at least much of the care is subsidized. There is a great gap between rural and metropolitan health with age expectancy, especially for CALD groups and our indigenous.
I use the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare for access to the above opinion.

Good morning,
Cost- $150 round trip.
-seeing a new one in June, the appointment is $500.
-Medications are not subsidised and cost $100 per month.
-The most important part of my care is therapy- CBT sessions are $200 per visit. You can get a care plan here which covers 6 visits per year. But, some psychologists do not accept the referral and still charge the full amount.
I have found that there have been generalisations in this thread about schizophrenia, treatment, mandatory treatment. I won't give an opinion about posts. It's a difficult mental illness to treat as is bipolar 1 and 2. Support is very difficult to access, my support group (thank God) is online and we have monthly catch ups via zoom.
Coroner's Court NSW:
you are intelligent and educated- so what happens to the people who are neither and similarly afflicted? nothing good

Well done to the paparazzi. Seems like a nice way to harass some folks in their 70s coming to terms with an unfathomable loss.
Apologies folks. My above post was meant to be of a sarcastic note, although it may have been misread.

I did feel empathy for the parents. The paparazzi seems to have the whole house lit up with stadium lights

you are intelligent and educated- so what happens to the people who are neither and similarly afflicted? nothing good
Exactly, this is where care for people with chronic conditions needs better advocacy.
Even with what you state above, it's been a harrowing and very difficult journey. As per your post, imagine what would happen if a person doesn't have insight or compliance.

He's from my closest city. He went to my university, the high school he went to is one I attended briefly (not at the same time), and his Facebook was loaded with reviews he'd written for Toowoomba businesses I frequent... some that I have been considered a regular at.
He didn't look familiar in the pictures shown in the news, but then as soon as I saw a younger picture without the beard he definitely did.
I'm sorry that this is not the most selfless post. My heart goes out to the victims, I pray for positive news about the baby girl, and I am in awe of the heroes who ran toward danger. It's just that the feeling that this was almost Grand Central in Toowoomba is unshakeable. I've seen a lot of local posts suggesting that I'm not alone in that thought.
It hits close to home when it's almost like a "near miss". My partner lives close to the area and has connections there and I'm so thankful he's safe, but of course it's terrible for all of the victims and their families. Such a tragic event all round.

The fact that the offender committed the crime in Sydney and not in QLD where he was from throws up some questions - why did he recently move to Sydney? Did he try to access mental health services in Sydney? Was he able to access them? What expectations did he have from his new place of residence? What triggered him after a short period in the new place (Sydney) to carry out such a heinous crime?

The fact that the offender committed the crime in Sydney and not in QLD where he was from throws up some questions - why did he recently move to Sydney? Did he try to access mental health services in Sydney? Was he able to access them? What expectations did he have from his new place of residence? What triggered him after a short period in the new place (Sydney) to carry out such a heinous crime?

New place of residence in Sydney?

A car and a container.
He was unemployed.
As was widely reported.

"Queensland police said they believed he had been living in a vehicle since arriving to Sydney.
He rented a 'very small' storage unit in Sydney’s inner city
which Guardian Australia understands was only about one cubic metre in size.
Queensland police said he was unemployed."

Did he have medical insurance while being without job?
To seek MH help?

Last edited:
New place of residence in Sydney?
A car and a container.
He was unemployed.
As was widely reported.

"Queensland police said they believed he had been living in a vehicle since arriving to Sydney.
Queensland police said he was unemployed."

Did he have medical insurance while being without job?
To seek MH help?

Yes every Australian has access to Medicare, it’s not related to having employment or not. As explained by OptimusLime above, MH care is still very expensive (although it’s subsidised by Medicare).

Medicare is funded by Australian taxpayers who pay 2% of their taxable income to help cover costs.

How could he afford medical care if he was not earning money as unemployed and living in a 1 cubic metre container? :oops:
thats how its funded but everyone has access to it, no matter their employment status

e: there's also an extra charge if you have a high income but don't have private health insurance

also Medicare is wonderful, but its not perfect and mental health is one area where medicare funding has not kept up with demand or changes in treatment theories and practices

Sorry if this has been covered already but…

One thing I’ve noticed - in the video of him ordering food beforehand he had a backpack.

Then the vision in the shopping centre shows no backpack.

So where did it go?

th
Sorry if this has been covered already but…

One thing I’ve noticed - in the video of him ordering food beforehand he had a backpack.

Then the vision in the shopping centre shows no backpack.

So where did it go?
That video with the backpack was taken at 10am and/ or 12pm. It was said that he went to the food outlet twice. He was in a poor state at that time too, stumbling into the wall outside the shopping centre. During the attack that occurred around 3pm seemed stable on his feet. He could have discarded the backpack in a bin or toilet stall after taking the knife out?

Sorry to hear this. The United States is similar. Where I live, an appointment to see a psychiatrist is six months out. And that is if you have the funds to pay for one.

They say that prisons are now, in fact, large mental health care facilities, as so many of the inmates have co-occurring disorders, and lack of medication, treatment, is what lands them in jail or prison. Where they may or may not get medical care. Back on the street, the cycle begins again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back