MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thought.

Was the owner of the dog that Allie McCabe picked up and brought to the Canton PD ever identified? Supposedly they happened to appear as she showed up at the station...
Good point, although I don't know what it would mean. Seems unlikely that a person with a lost dog would show up in person at the police station on the off chance that they might find their dog there, especially around midnight. And in rapidly developing blizzard conditions.

I wonder if jeep (and plow) arrived on scene just after KR (in lexus) and R. Nagle, his driver buddy and driver buddy's gf drove away from 34 fairview. Or I wonder if BH went out of 34 Fairview via back gate with Chloe for company (immediately post Nagles/KR and lexus) to move jeep to 34 Fairview curb from another park down road (which was not visible from curbside 34 Fairview). Just a couple of purely speculative ideas

I don’t know about her relationship with JO. Her reaction to the situation in Aruba - first use profanity towards an unknown woman, then try to pay off - tells a lot about her personality, IMO. First, unprovoked anger, then paying exorbitant amount to undo the damage. The Sullivans were classy, “a mere sorry would do”. JMO.
Hearing sworn testimony that Karen wanted to pay some of Etta's room bill, after verbally abusing her, made me wonder if that's how she's gotten out of trouble in the past. That is, by buying her way through life. moo

"This is a unique case," said Ken Mello, a special prosecutor brought in to handle allegations of witness intimidation.

He says Read could now, like Kearney, face witness intimidation charges."

"This is all part of an investigation regarding the intimidation of witnesses, so if the evidence shows there was," he said, "that would be a criminal charge."

Court doc alleges Karen Read sent confidential info to blogger ‘Turtleboy'

"This is a unique case," said Ken Mello, a special prosecutor brought in to handle allegations of witness intimidation.

"This is all part of an investigation regarding the intimidation of witnesses, so if the evidence shows there was," he said, "that would be a criminal charge."

This is a fairly old comment. And to be clear, no witness intimidation charges were ever brought against Read, even though Mello had her phone seized.

She's a defendant in a murder case facing a life sentence. She has every right to share what she knows.

This whole thing was a bust for the Commonwealth. And nothing more than a distraction.

Hearing sworn testimony that Karen wanted to pay some of Etta's room bill, after verbally abusing her, made me wonder if that's how she's gotten out of trouble in the past. That is, by buying her way through life. moo

I think there's probably some truth to the idea that she tried to buy her way out of jams. Or even to buy her way into others liking her. She paid for everyone's dinner and drinks that first night in Aruba. And we know that she spoiled the kids, much to John's chagrin. Did she do it so the kids wouldn't hate the new woman in John's life?

But it's a far cry from her being someone tries buy people off because of her insecurities to someone who uses violence.

As to the whole thing with Turtleboy, the commonwealth has had access to Kearney's financial records for at least 9 months now, so if there was some kind of quid-pro-quo transaction between him and KR, I'm sure the prosecution would know about it. I find it unlikely though. Turtleboy doesn't need direct monetary payments to fuel his blogging. Kearney's made a lot of money from his subscribers, merchandise sales, advertising, etc. His fame has shot through the roof. He's appearing on CourtTV now, for heaven's sake. This case has probably been a mid-six or even seven-figure windfall for him.

Turtleboy doesn't need direct monetary payments to fuel his blogging. Kearney's made a lot of money from his subscribers, merchandise sales, advertising, etc. His fame has shot through the roof. He's appearing on CourtTV now, for heaven's sake. This case has probably been a mid-six or even seven-figure windfall for him.

Turtleboy and his tactics disgust me, but I agree. He's made tons of money on this case and will continue to do so. I don't follow his antics much but there's no doubt Netflix, HBO, Discovery and others are paying close attention to what's going on. Methinks he'll try to be a consultant or worse yet, executive producer on one of the upcoming shows. He does have the Irish gift of gab, that I'll give him.

Read would never be dumb enough to pay him or engage in any other quid pro quo scenario. The CW tried to spread a story that her brother owned a Lexus dealership and gifted him a brand new Lexus. But this was quickly debunked. He only works at a dealership, he doesn't own one and has no ability to gift cars. TB likely bought the car with all the money he's been making lately.

I don't really have feelings about TB one way or another. That said, if he were to post a video of Colin Albert in a fight after Colin Albert testified to having never been in a fight I would watch the video.

Well, he did post such a video a few days ago. I'm not sure it was a real fight or as Matt McCabe might say, just a lil grab-assin', but he does seem to like to use his fists.

This stood out for me as well. It is concerning that KR would approach a situation by offering funds to ease a situation, an embarrassing moment? Maybe save a relationship already in trouble? Idk

However, from my own experience, sometimes the person you end up having a conflict with or some sort of difference, can end up being your friend… maybe even one of your best friends. Suspect KR realized that she overreacted due to alcohol? - are we seeing a pattern? moo, all of it! :)

If the witness intimidation works in Read's favor for a NG verdict, I'll be surprised. However, fear is a powerful emotion. If a juror feels they may be stalked by strangers following the verdict, it could make a difference in their decision.

It's a shameful way of making the defendant into the victim. Who leaked John's autopsy photos? Answer: Someone who had access to them.

Karen and Turtle Boy had 189 phone calls. She could easily have arranged for a monetary pick up location for him leaving no trace at all. Those possibilities are endless with the precaution of unknowingly using a stool pigeon.

MOO

They allegedly communicated directly for more than 40 hours during 189 phone calls. Police also allege Read and Kearney interacted via intermediaries and the Signal messaging app.

Thus far, the most damning evidence to the CW, is the Cellebrite report. When is the Cellebrite representative/expert taking the stand? Still not seeing a representative from Cellebrite on the list of witnesses.

Lally's order of witnesses has been weird to say the least. I understand that sometimes a witness may have a conflict and will appear out of a desired order, but I swear he's intentionally trying to confuse the jury because he knows how weak his case is.

It seems the technical experts may come after the state police; I'm not sure. My understanding is that there is at least one Celebrite expert being called, but there will also be experts that will try to refute the expert testimony of other experts.

If I'm on the jury, I would find the collective testimony of the Alberts and McCabes very disturbing, with Jen McCabe's angry, defensive and sometimes bizarre behavior and comments having probably already sunk the case for the CW. She's lying about her sister not answering her calls that morning and I can't imagine anyone will believe all those calls to John after he was incapacitated were just butt dials. A reasonable assumption may well be she was trying to find his phone, just as Jackson pointed out.

If the witness intimidation works in Read's favor for a NG verdict, I'll be surprised. However, fear is a powerful emotion. If a juror feels they may be stalked by strangers following the verdict, it could make a difference in their decision.

It's a shameful way of making the defendant into the victim. Who leaked John's autopsy photos? Answer: Someone who had access to them.

I think it's well established the defense leaked the autopsy photos. It's not illegal.

Keep in mind that the state police told media outlets right after this happened that the case was slam dunk because they had Ring video of Karen hitting John. Turns out this "leak" was actually a bold faced lie. So I'm fine with the defense trying to un-poison the well with some very real autopsy photos.

Finally, not all defendants are guilty. And some really are the victims of set ups. Maybe you aren't from these parts, but there has been a long history some really, really bad cop behavior.

Thus far, the most damning evidence to the CW, is the Cellebrite report. When is the Cellebrite representative/expert taking the stand? Still not seeing a representative from Cellebrite on the list of witnesses.

The CW sure has a weak case, imo.
The CW began their case by presenting the witnesses that were either at one pub, the other or both and those who went to the bday party at the Albert's. They presented the medics and a few others. They're not finished with those witnesses as BHiggins, etc still need to come before the court. The CW must show the jury the lies the D has told the public by rebutting each one, one at a time.

I will not argue over the effectiveness of their strategy because I'll be busy in the kitchen with my GDs baking cupcakes for teachers.

MOO

Lally's order of witnesses has been weird to say the least. I understand that sometimes a witness may have a conflict and will appear out of a desired order, but I swear he's intentionally trying to confuse the jury because he knows how weak his case is.

It seems the technical experts may come after the state police; I'm not sure. My understanding is that there is at least one Celebrite expert being called, but there will also be experts that will try to refute the expert testimony of other experts.

If I'm on the jury, I would find the collective testimony of the Alberts and McCabes very disturbing, with Jen McCabe's angry, defensive and sometimes bizarre behavior and comments having probably already sunk the case for the CW. She's lying about her sister not answering her calls that morning and I can't imagine anyone will believe all those calls to John after he was incapacitated were just butt dials. A reasonable assumption may well be she was trying to find his phone, just as Jackson pointed out.
"He's intentionally trying to confuse the jury."

Okay, if that is true. Game over. Why even bother going to trial (exactly what I've been saying). Why go to trial, no evidence here, next window, please.

Good grief. The End.

moo

Btw, there is a Google representative supposedly on the list of witnesses.

"He's intentionally trying to confuse the jury."

Okay, if that is true. Game over. Why even bother going to trial (exactly what I've been saying). Why go to trial, no evidence here, next window, please.

Good grief. The End.

Lally wanted this continued. Judge said no. He apparently needs the job, so he's prosecuting a case he's probably sure he's going to lose. At least that seems to me to be the reason for the droning, the sighs, the chaotic witness presentment that he alone has control of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74