WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really very sad news to hear. My deepest condolences to rightcoast and to leftcoast's family and friends. I wondered why leftcoast was no longer posting here. His hard work and commitment was to be commended. He truly was a trooper. He always replied to ever post here... If you had a question or wanted something explained. RIP dear Dan (leftcoast). I believe he is no longer suffering and just maybe is working on this from above. I know this recent activity just may be coming from him. I'd like to think it is and who knows we may even get some answers about Cooper's true identity soon. leftcoast is certainly missed here.

Here is a tidbit I ran across (nothing to do with parachutes tho) where Leftcoast wrote a couple of posts about the case. It has a video, but it wouldn't work for me.:
http://www.kxmb.com/getArticle.asp?AddComment=True&ArticleId=69978

Hi SeriouslySearching, I saw that last night too while Googling Dan's name, and notice it is from Bismark North Dakota. I am wondering if that is where he was from?

I notice there are comments from last May, from Popeye. I had the immediate thought wondering if he knew about Dan's death. I think this poster had posted with him somewhere before. I also read there that Matt, our Rightcoast, was Dan's neighbor. I sure hope he can come back and join us at least once a week or so.

Seriously, I had a great laugh when I read in your post: " . . . am sure he will be haunting the offices of the FBI, going over the case file, and yelling at them to pay attention! At least, that is where I think he would like to be". SKOL to that my friend. Perfectly stated and most likely true! It is where his heart was here on earth.

Oh, how sad. :( I am just reading your post. I came back to this thread because I read an article in our paper yesterday which stated that the FBI is looking into this case again. I thought about leftcoast while reading the article.

The article acted like it had no information as to the identity to DB Cooper when I knew that you guys had done so much investigation to identify him. The article was taken from The New York Times. It actually gave the name of the FBI agent who was working this cold case.

I hope that you are aware of this agent and have been in touch with him. If not, I can research who the guy is.

Thanks for letting us know about Dan. He was a great poster, and he will be missed. :(

And here I thought their renewed interest was due to Dan and Rightcoast's research...

On Nov. 21, 1971, a man calling himself Dan Cooper boarded a flight at the Portland Airport which was bound for Seattle. Once the jet was airborne, Cooper summoned a flight attendant and passed her a note which read, "I have a bomb in my briefcase. I will use it if necessary. You are being hijacked."

In Seattle, the passengers were allowed to get off the plane in exchange for $200,000 in cash and four parachutes.

When "Cooper" received the items, he demanded that the pilot and its crew fly him south at a speed of 150 knots and an altitude of 10,000 feet.

A short time after take-off, somewhere near the Oregon-Washington border, Cooper opened the Boeing 727's rear door and jumped out with the money.

"Dan Cooper" was never positively identified or apprehended. In 1980, a portion of the money, some $5,800, was found by a small boy, but the remainder of the $200,000 has never been located.

The case, dubbed "Norjak" by the FBI, was never solved. The FBI has now re-opened the case and released information and evidence from their files in an attempt to finally solve it.

A BYTE OUT OF HISTORY
The D. B. Cooper Mystery
11/24/06

On the afternoon of November 24—35 years ago Friday—a non-descript man calling himself Dan Cooper approached the counter of Northwest Orient Airlines in Portland, Oregon. He used cash to buy a one-way ticket on Flight #305, bound for Seattle, Washington.

Thus began one of the great unsolved mysteries in FBI history. Cooper was a quiet man who appeared to be in his mid-forties, wearing a business suit with a black tie and white shirt. He ordered a drink—bourbon and soda—while the flight was waiting to take off. A short time after 3:00 p.m., he handed the stewardess a note indicating that he had a bomb in his briefcase and wanted her to sit with him.

The stunned stewardess did as she was told. Opening a cheap attaché case, Cooper showed her a glimpse of a mass of wires and red colored sticks and demanded that she write down what he told her. Soon, she was walking a new note to the captain of the plane that demanded four parachutes and $200,000 in twenty dollar bills.

When the flight landed in Seattle, the hijacker exchanged the flight’s 36 passengers for the money and parachutes. Cooper kept several crewmembers, and the plane took off again, ordered to set a course for Mexico City. Somewhere between Seattle and Reno, a little after 8:00 p.m., the hijacker did the incredible: he jumped out of the back of the plane with a parachute and the ransom money.

The pilots landed safely, but Cooper had disappeared into the night and his ultimate fate remains a mystery to this day. The FBI learned of the crime in flight and immediately opened an extensive investigation that lasted many years.

Calling it NORJAK, for Northwest hijacking, we interviewed hundreds of people, tracked leads across the nation, and scoured the aircraft for evidence. By the five-year anniversary of the hijacking, we’d considered more than 800 suspects and eliminated all but two dozen from consideration.

One person left on our list, Richard Floyd McCoy is still a favorite suspect among many. We tracked down and arrested McCoy for a similar airplane hijacking and escape by parachute less than five months after Cooper’s flight. But McCoy was later ruled out because he didn’t match the nearly identical physical descriptions of Cooper provided by two flight attendants and for other reasons.

Or perhaps Cooper didn’t survive his jump from the plane. After all, the parachute he used couldn’t be steered, his clothing and footwear were unsuitable for a rough landing, and he had jumped into a wooded area at night, a dangerous proposition for a seasoned pro—which evidence suggests Cooper was not. This theory was given an added boost in 1980 when a young boy found a rotting package full of $20 bills ($5,800 in all) that matched the ransom money serial numbers.

Where did “D.B.” come from? It was apparently a myth created by the press. We did question a man with the initials “D. B.” but he wasn’t the hijacker. The daring hijack and disappearance remain an intriguing mystery—for law enforcement and amateur sleuths alike.

To read more about the NORJAK investigation, see the files on our Freedom of Information Act website. Fair warning: you might get hooked on the case!

Editor’s note: See our updated story of December 31, 2007, for more information and photos on the case.

LINK:
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nov06/cooper112406.htm

Summary:

On November 24, 1971, an unknown subject, also known as Dan Cooper, purchased a one-way ticket on Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 305. The flight was carrying 36 passengers and crew. The flight originated in Portland, Oregon with the final destination of Seattle, Washington. The plane was hijacked just prior to its arrival in Seattle. In Seattle, the hijacker allowed the passengers and two stewardesses to depart the plane. Northwest Orient Airlines paid the hijacker $200,000. The plane departed Seattle for Reno, Nevada. It is believed the hijacker parachuted from the plane during this flight. Authorities and personnel from Fort Lewis, Washington searched for Mr. Cooper but he was never found. In 1980, an 8-year-old boy found $5,800 on the bank of the Columbia River. This is the only money ever recovered from the ransom.

Link to Freedom of Information Files on this case:

http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/dbcooper.htm

I wonder if Cooper did not request a parachute that steered because it was dark out so he couldn't see where he was going anyway.

I wonder if they can tell if the $ had been submerged in the river. It was found found 40 feet from the waterline according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Cooper

It does not say on Wikipedia where his projected landing place is in relation to where the $ was found.

okay - I listened to the news lat night - and they said that the FBI said that the parachute WAS SEWN SHUT!! The news said that DB got 2 parachutes, and used the one that was sewn shut (by FBI!) - ?? I believe this is the FIRST time I've heard this?? Rightcoast - do you know anything about this?

My understanding is that only the reserve chute was sewn shut. something about it being a training chute. i know nothing about sky jumping. As far as I know there was a main chute, and it was operable.

okay - I listened to the news lat night - and they said that the FBI said that the parachute WAS SEWN SHUT!! The news said that DB got 2 parachutes, and used the one that was sewn shut (by FBI!) - ?? I believe this is the FIRST time I've heard this?? Rightcoast - do you know anything about this?

This story recently went through the Seattle papers and I did forward the Websleuth link to my local news. They didn't seem to be to interested in him at all.

From the story I posted a few months back, the parachute WAS sewn shut
and they didn't believe he had any skydiving knowledge...nothing new
has been posted but at least they are getting it out there so that someone
might be able to give them a good tip.

I was listening to the radio show coast to coast formerly art bell show, and they were discussing the DB Cooper case. A guest has a picture of a suspect now dead who the guest claims fits the profie. You can take a look a the pic at this website: www.coasttocoastam.com. The suspect is reportedly from UT and I think I remember a story of a UT suspect who was later proven to not be Cooper. You can still take a look if you want.

I'm pretty sure those pictures have already been posted here Mihaff but
here they are just incase

family_photo010508d.jpg

cooper took a dummy chute for his front. even an amateur would likely notice this and use it as storage for the money. the main he used was a pilot's emergency chute. very reliable and opens quicker when the ground pops up out of the dark to surprise you (i figure that coop had a wrist altimiter).the problem in the past with the fbi was that of turning assumptions into facts and it still is (didn't bring any of his own equipment, didn't have a plan, wasn't a skydiver, must have died, couldn't be teddy, no need to second guess himmelsbach). i don't see larry carr as any different, unfortunately. we will see.

dan was most recently from the portland, oregon area. he was disabled and had a lot of time to devote his investigative talents and intelligence to this.

Hi SeriouslySearching, I saw that last night too while Googling Dan's name, and notice it is from Bismark North Dakota. I am wondering if that is where he was from?

I notice there are comments from last May, from Popeye. I had the immediate thought wondering if he knew about Dan's death. I think this poster had posted with him somewhere before. I also read there that Matt, our Rightcoast, was Dan's neighbor. I sure hope he can come back and join us at least once a week or so.

Seriously, I had a great laugh when I read in your post: " . . . am sure he will be haunting the offices of the FBI, going over the case file, and yelling at them to pay attention! At least, that is where I think he would like to be". SKOL to that my friend. Perfectly stated and most likely true! It is where his heart was here on earth.
I think Left posted wherever this case would take him! I don't know if the Popeye person would be aware of his unfortunate circumstances. I know we sure were not until Rightcoast informed us...which I will be eternally grateful for! Thank you, again.

I am glad I made you laugh, Scandi. As serious as Left was about everything, I used to make jokes in pms so he would laugh now and then, too. He got my jokes which I must say sometimes is a feat in itself. (Weird sense of humor, I know!)

(Sigh) I do miss him.

Now...I have another job for him...FIND JENNIFER! :innocent: He is in a good place to work on that case, too!

cooper took a dummy chute for his front. even an amateur would likely notice this and use it as storage for the money. the main he used was a pilot's emergency chute. very reliable and opens quicker when the ground pops up out of the dark to surprise you (i figure that coop had a wrist altimiter).the problem in the past with the fbi was that of turning assumptions into facts and it still is (didn't bring any of his own equipment, didn't have a plan, wasn't a skydiver, must have died, couldn't be teddy, no need to second guess himmelsbach). i don't see larry carr as any different, unfortunately. we will see.
Makes sense to me. That is what happens when LE digs in their heels firmly and decides there is no other way. Tunnel vision down the wrong hole only leads to a dead end with no light.

I'm off to bed, but good to see you Rightcoast and SimplySearching. I knew there was something about that chute, so thanks for refreshing it.

That real photo, I hadn't seen that before. Do we know who it is? Also Rightcoast, this agent new on the case, do you know if he has all of the research that you and Dan did? I thought Dan had sent it to the Portland office, but this new man isn't in Portland I don't think.

I think we need to make sure the new agent has everything possible at his disposal to study, don't you think?

Hey Rightcoast, it's going to snow tonight. I just ran to the store and it is starting to snow in the lower part of the West Hills. Take care Matt. And will look forward to seeing you again soon.

I vowed to never dig into this case as it was Left's baby, but I can see now that I am going to have to go there. (I told him I would only read and enjoy it...which sad to say I have done neither.) This is me jumping in head first to read everything I can so I can discuss this respectfully. Give me a break! I have only been here a year and I keep jumping into current cases! He understood. (Left was my first friend here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288