WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vowed to never dig into this case as it was Left's baby, but I can see now that I am going to have to go there. (I told him I would only read and enjoy it...which sad to say I have done neither.) This is me jumping in head first to read everything I can so I can discuss this respectfully. Give me a break! I have only been here a year and I keep jumping into current cases! He understood. (Left was my first friend here.)

Oh, here I thought you had left as your green light was off. ITA SS, and what I don't want to see is the work these 2 great guys have done go for nothing. That is why we have to perpetuate what has been done, and I'll help too. I have time in the evenings.

We need to get an assessment on how to approach the case, and Rightcoast might have an idea. He knows everything about it, who they have told, where it is documented, etc. But if the agent doesn't have their research in full I think that is the first step, to get it together in presentable form.

I'm off or I know me, I'll be here for an hour and won't hear the alarm in the morning. LOL I'll be here tomorrow night tho, so will see you then. And hopefully others will have some ideas too! xox

Oh, here I thought you had left as your green light was off. ITA SS, and what I don't want to see is the work these 2 great guys have done go for nothing. That is why we have to perpetuate what has been done, and I'll help too. I have time in the evenings.

We need to get an assessment on how to approach the case, and Rightcoast might have an idea. He knows everything about it, who they have told, where it is documented, etc. But if the agent doesn't have their research in full I think that is the first step, to get it together in presentable form.

I'm off or I know me, I'll be here for an hour and won't hear the alarm in the morning. LOL I'll be here tomorrow night tho, so will see you then. And hopefully others will have some ideas too! xox
You make me so happy! I totally agree! Maybe Leftcoast decided that we should carry out his bidding. LOL In any case, I think you are right. Left made a big deal out of fresh eyes looking at cold cases. I look forward to working with you...if Rightcoast agrees. I think there is more proof to be had to make this an absolute. Let's find it.

snip...
Seriously, I had a great laugh when I read in your post: " . . . am sure he will be haunting the offices of the FBI, going over the case file, and yelling at them to pay attention! At least, that is where I think he would like to be". SKOL to that my friend. Perfectly stated and most likely true! It is where his heart was here on earth.

Me too, Scandi!! I thought the renewed interest was from Dan and Rightcoast's research!!

Hey Scandi - good to see you back here!! :blowkiss:

has anyone heard how the dna testing went on the tie? That was last
I heard they were doing in Seattle a few months back.

This case has been quite a defeat for the FBI so I am surprised they are being so public about taking a new look at the case unless they have more than just the dna on the tie. If all they have is the dna on the tie I would think they would have quietly put more effort into the case to see if it lead them anywhere.

Maybe they are assuming the dna gives them an almost 100% chance of wrapping this case up. I hope they are right.

does anyone besides me feel like the FBI could be out looking for maybe a serial killer, or trying to capture the ten most wanted, instead of trying to solve an old case that at most, will yield justice for 20,000 misplaced dollars, some of which was already recovered?

im insulted by this as a tax payer, and really insulted by it as a websleuths reader, we are covered in unsolved murders of innocent people, and the fbi is chasing an old man who long ago spent that money or died in a tree.

not to ruin everyones fun, a civilian investigation i fully support and have read this thread many times.

just my .02

~lightwaveryder~

I remember when this crime occurred. It captured the attention of the entire nation, and that was remarkable, considering that it happened before CNN, etc.

My feeling is that it would be a badge of honor for an FBI agent to be able to say that he brought DB Cooper to justice!! :)

JMHO, but the crime attained a folk hero status through a movie, songs, some books, etc and some of us in our 40's remember it well. We would definitely be proud if the FBI solves this.
I also read an article about the Cooper skyjacking in a British publication. So, I guess it captured the attention of the world for a while.
You may be right, though. I know they have limited resources, etc..

does anyone besides me feel like the FBI could be out looking for maybe a serial killer, or trying to capture the ten most wanted, instead of trying to solve an old case that at most, will yield justice for 20,000 misplaced dollars, some of which was already recovered?

im insulted by this as a tax payer, and really insulted by it as a websleuths reader, we are covered in unsolved murders of innocent people, and the fbi is chasing an old man who long ago spent that money or died in a tree.

not to ruin everyones fun, a civilian investigation i fully support and have read this thread many times.

just my .02

~lightwaveryder~

I wonder if Cooper did not request a parachute that steered because it was dark out so he couldn't see where he was going anyway.

I wonder if they can tell if the $ had been submerged in the river. It was found found 40 feet from the waterline according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Cooper

It does not say on Wikipedia where his projected landing place is in relation to where the $ was found.

"Cooper" requested four parachutes; two backpack types and two chest types. He did not initially specify any further particulars. When told by the pilot (who was circling the field waiting for word about the demands) that they had found some military parachutes, Cooper refused them and demanded that they be civilian chutes.

As a result, the FBI and Northwest Airlines had to scramble to locate parachutes. They found a jump school nearby and managed to get the requested chutes.

It has been speculated that Cooper requested what ammounted to two complete sets of chutes in order to make the FBi think that he intended to jump with a hostage. This would ensure that he was given working parachutes.

Unfortunately, one of the chest chutes was an inert "dummy" used for training purposes. It was inadvertantly picked up by a secretary, who was the only person still working there on Thanksgiving eve.

Cooper wanted "civilian" chutes because he thought that the military chutes might be "static line" types used by paratroopers, who go out the door with a line attatched to a rail, so that the chute opens immediately. He wanted to go into free fall from 10,000 feet and pull the ripcord handle himself.

You ask about his "projected landing place". Since he never told anyone where he intended to land, and simply jumped out when he was ready, that is a hard question to answer. It is probable, however, that the money was found somewhere near where he jumped out and landed.

Cooper knew a lot about the specific aircraft and definitely had a well thought out plan.

responding to litewaveryder

i am close to this case and agree with you a little. this should not be a priority, and i don't think it is. but to suggest that lesser crimes should not be given attention because there are greater ones is a bit myopic. lawlessness breeds more lawlessness. i would guess that all crimes more or less increase and decrease together. i would guess that police corruption in mexico is not just a matter of dishonesty with money, but contributes to heartache in many other areas in a corrupt society, etc.

sorry i was not here last night, but i couldn't get on this site.
there are some very interesting discussions on dropzone.com in the forums (under history and trivia started by skyjack71 - the florida widow nut that says weber was cooper0 about this and larry carr of the fbi is called ckret. i am dbcoopercatcher and dan was jack wilson. i don't give much hope in the ability of larry carr to duck tunnel vision and accept another possible light source. a detective in a p.d. of a medium sized city once told me that the resources of the fbi and their databases are unparalleled, but the logical investigative skills are generally lacking.

You make me so happy! I totally agree! Maybe Leftcoast decided that we should carry out his bidding. LOL In any case, I think you are right. Left made a big deal out of fresh eyes looking at cold cases. I look forward to working with you...if Rightcoast agrees. I think there is more proof to be had to make this an absolute. Let's find it.

sounds great, and i try to be nice to carr, but i think they teach tunnel vision and 'your idea, bad idea' at the academy.

rightcoast:

I've been a lurker here. This is my first post. Let me say I cried when I read the news from you about Leftcoast. I enjoyed reading every post he made with is knowledge about the case, his stoism, his wit, his theories, his inuit knowledge, his unwavering belief.

He was a true friend of yours and I know you miss him terribly.

I look forward to coming back here and seeing your posts to take up where your comrade in arms had to leave at. Also, SS's fresh eyes and his/her opinion along with yours will make for some fasinating reading I am sure.

Is there anything you can tell us that is happening now with the renewed interest by the FBI??

IMO, not much. the new agent seems to be a copy of the old. not much thinking that is new. einstein's definition of insanity was repeatedly doing the same thing but expecting different results. the fbi is doing the same thing. am i insane to hope for something good out of this?

larry carr is currently the poster ckret on the db cooper thread of dropzone.com
info from him. thoughtful insights from others.

IMO, not much. the new agent seems to be a copy of the old. not much thinking that is new. einstein's definition of insanity was repeatedly doing the same thing but expecting different results. the fbi is doing the same thing. am i insane to hope for something good out of this?

Maybe. But you are not the one who keeps doing the same thing over and over again. I was so frustrated reading the article in the AJC about the new agent going through the same motions as before.

What is wrong with looking at this possibility? It couldn't be that hard to get some DNA from our friend just to check. They do it all the time on Law and Order! :crazy:

Maybe they are just putting out this PR of same old, same old and working behind the scenes to check things out. Possibly? Hopefully? Maybe?

Sigh...

I am a little surprised dummy chutes don't have a huge red warning "Dummy Chute Will Not Open" across them but maybe they were in such a rush they didn't look carefully.

When the money was found by the boy I wonder if authorities went back and thoroughly searched that specific area where the $ was found. It sounds like the money washed up on shore though...

I just wanted to say that I have only just heard of Leftcoast's passing and I am shocked and saddened. My sincere condolences to all of his friends and family.

RightCoast - maybe we all should send this url to the FBI office??? LOL!

as most assuredly nearly none of you knew, leftcoast has been very ill and in pain for a lot of years with a rare form of muscular dystrophy. it is my sad duty to inform you that he has passed away due to complications. i am sorry for the blunt nature of this post, but i know of no other way to inform cyber friends.
his name was Dan Dvorak. he was a good man and a very good friend. he will miss his time with you all here. he mentioned two people in particular, one being the nice woman that put us in touch with inside edition and especially Old Dominion. if either of you wish to email me, i would welcome it at dbcoopercatcher@gmail.com.

as for this thread, i will try to be here occasionally to contribute, but i will be a piss poor second to Dan's first.

Rightcoast,

I wanted to express how deeply saddened I am by the loss of a friend. He will be missed by many and all. My sympathies to his family.

He was indeed a good man, and a great sleuth. I am sorry this is so late,
but I haven't visited this site for some time. This site will never be the same without him, and he'd have wanted the case both of you solved to move forward.

OD

This is a difficult case to get a handle on as far as what happened so I would appreciate it if somebody can answer some questions for me.

The airplane was flying the V23 corridor. Was this directed by Cooper or was this done because they had to choose a low altitude route and it just happened to be V23?

The note Cooper gave to the flight attendant only mentioned a hijacking and a bomb, correct? For his demands, he gave these to the flight attendant verbally and she wrote them on a piece of paper. Do I have this correct?

Does the FBI have his intial note?

I know leftcoast kept asking people if they thought Mayfield had enough time to do the hijacking and make the phone call. Well, if Mayfield did do the hijacking then the phone call was brilliant.

Here is my guess. Making the phone call was plan A. Making no phone call was plan B. He probably figured there was a window of time where he could make the phone call for it to be effective. If he didn't make that window then he simply wouldn't make the call. Plan B wouldn't be as good as A but it wouldn't do any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288