OH - Ashley Howley, 20, Columbus, 16 June 2004

LE has not officially said the body found was Ashleys as it was just discovered a couple of hours ago. Will update as I can.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/04/04/body.html

4 April 08

Investigators confirmed today that they have uncovered human remains near the Olentangy River just south of the Delaware County line, but they stopped short of saying the remains belong to a woman missing for nearly four years.

and

The search location is directly behind a home linked to Robert P. MacMichael II, Howley's former boyfriend and the prime suspect in her disappearance.

MacMichael lived at one time with his father at 8250 Olentangy River Road, a home perched on a hillside that overlooks the woods now being searched.

much more at link

Ashley has finally been found after several years of being missing. Forensics will probably be released tomorrow (Monday).

Missing woman's family left to wait
Human remains found along Olentangy River
Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:20 AM
By John Futty and Theodore Decker

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Ashley_a.JPG_04-05-08_B1_S29RA89.jpg
Craig Holmandispatch
The remains found this week likely will be identified with a DNA test. Police think they are Ashley Howley's and suspect she was killed by her boyfriend in 2004. He was living near the area where the body was found.

Family and friends have long suspected that Ashley Howley, missing for nearly four years, was buried in woods near the Olentangy River just south of the Delaware County line.
Investigators who unearthed human remains in a marshy spot beside the river this week say those suspicions likely will be confirmed when the remains are identified.
"There is a probability that the remains belong to Ashley Howley," Sgt. Richard Weiner, a Columbus police spokesman, said yesterday.
Robert P. MacMichael II, Howley's former boyfriend, sometimes lived with his father at 8250 Olentangy River Rd., which is next to the property where the remains were found.
Howley, 20, disappeared in June 2004, one day after calling police to her North Side apartment to report that MacMichael had assaulted her. Police have said they are convinced she was murdered.
Although never charged in the crime, MacMichael, 25, was referred to by a homicide sergeant in January as "our only suspect in the case." He has been jailed since then on charges that he killed his mother and her boyfriend in December.
MacMichael's acquaintances often spoke of the marshy area behind the property as "where she's got to be," said Kerry Combs, one of Howley's cousins. "That's always been the talk."
Combs said she is "as positive as you can be without a confirmation" that investigators have found Howley's remains.
"It's like starting the grieving process all over again," she said.
Robert MacMichael Sr. said investigators arrived at his home Tuesday afternoon with a warrant to search his property for Howley's body or her "personal effects."
The investigators, though, spent little time there and took nothing, he said. They instead walked east into the woods, onto another property owner's undeveloped land.
"It looked like they had an idea where they were going," he said. He said they told him only that they had received a tip.
He said he first hoped they had found only deer bones. On Thursday, Assistant County Prosecutor James Lowe and two detectives walked up as he fed the birds in his backyard.
"They just told me that it's now become a crime scene," he said. "I'm hoping it's not Ashley, and I hope my son is not involved."
Search teams scoured the same area with cadaver dogs in August 2004 and found nothing, he said.
Police released little about the latest search but said the skeletal remains were found in a shallow grave near the river bank. They said only that "information received" led them there.
Weiner said the remains were being painstakingly removed and likely will have to be identified using DNA.
"We're treating the area very gingerly right now," he said.
Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien would not disclose what led to the discovery or whether his office had been talking with MacMichael and his attorney about the Howley case.
"We have reason to believe that the remains are those of Ashley Howley," O'Brien said. "The underlying reasons for why that belief is there, I would not want to disclose."
J. Scott Weisman, MacMichael's attorney, would not talk about the case but noted that MacMichael has never been charged in Howley's disappearance.
Although MacMichael occasionally lived with his father on Olentangy River Road, MacMichael Sr. said he didn't live there in 2004 and rarely went into the woods.
His son is awaiting trial in the slayings of his mother and her boyfriend at their home in Minerva Park. Barbara Rush and Greg Bartee were found beaten to death in their bedroom on Dec. 28, and MacMichael is charged with aggravated murder in what prosecutors said is a death-penalty case.
MacMichael Sr. said he visits his son twice a week in jail, but they never talk about the slayings or Howley.
"It's between him and his lawyers," he said. "When she first disappeared, I asked him flat-out: 'Did you have anything to do with this?' And he said no.
"As a parent, it would break my heart if he's involved," he said. "Right now, I'm in shock and I'm waiting to see how it turns out."
jfutty@dispatch.com
tdecker@dispatch.com

I can't understand why this father will be surprised if his son murdered Ashley. He is already in jail for murdering his mother and her boyfriend! If you would murder your own mother I think it would be easy to murder anyone not related to you. That is horrible.

So the body hasn't been identified for certain but it is believed to be Ashley because of where it was found? Kind of adds up to 2+2=4 as Ashley has been missing for 4 years and this buriel sight is right by his dad's place. Boy, this guy has to be one violent person. A monster!

I don't understand why they didn't search behind MacMichael's father's home in the first place, considering he was "the only suspect in the case".

Ashleys case always struck a chord with me, it's one of the reasons I came to WS. I'm glad she's finally been found, just wish it wasn't like this.

RIP Ashley :-(

Remains found near river identified as missing woman

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:28 PM

Investigators have confirmed through dental records that skeletal remains found beside the Olentangy River in northern Franklin County last week are those of a woman missing for nearly four years.
Police have long believed that Ashley Howley had been murdered and several times have named her former boyfriend as their only suspect.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/04/04/body.html

Ashley Howley was identified earlier this month after her remains were found.

I wonder if this recent finding is Brian Shaffer or Tony Luzio? Although, Tony did not go missing in the campus area.

Triple killer gets life without parole

MacMichael admits slaying his mother, 2 others

Today in Franklin County Common Pleas Court, he showed no emotion and offered no explanation for the crimes but avoided a possible death penalty and pleaded guilty to three murders. He will have no chance of parole.
Howley was missing for four years before a friend of MacMichael’s led police to her remains in woods south of the Delaware County line, near a house where MacMichael sometimes lived with his father.

What happened to Howley’s body came out in court for the first time today. Assistant County Prosecutor James Lowe said MacMichael killed Howley after a domestic fight in June 2004, then he and a friend buried her in a shallow grave and MacMichael poured quick-setting concrete over her body.
The friend, Garret Kalish, came forward this year and led police to Howley’s body. Kalish died of an accidental drug overdose weeks later.
Lynch sentenced MacMichael, 26, to15 years to life in prison for Howley’s murder.

She also sentenced him to two terms of life in prison for the aggravated murders of his mother, Barbara MacMichael-Rush, 49, and her boyfriend, Greg Bartee, 43, on Dec. 26. MacMichael could have received the death penalty for those crimes.

Howley’s mother, Jackie Stanton, died in 2007 without knowing what had happened to her daughter. Both mother and daughter were cremated and buried together in a crypt.

Howley’s sister, Christa, was too overcome to speak in court. After the hearing, she held a picture of the crypt inscriptions.

“We had Ashley cremated because we didn’t want her buried again,” she said. “We put Mom there, too. They are buried together. Together at last.”

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/07/22/macmic.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708