The Box From Hell (BFH) - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is something that strikes me odd. Two men dressed up like British earls living in a part of town which was (is?) - as I understood from reading here - quite dangerous. One of these men was very old and on his own for most of every day in a seedy hotel. Makes me wonder if he ever was victim of a robbery or something like that? There must have been a lot of not so nice people around, who were in need of money. And GB looked like a wealthy man.
The Tenderloin is seedy, but not all that dangerous. The famous Glide Memorial Methodist Church is in the Tenderloin and serves meals every day to all the down-and-out people who live there.

This makes sense to me.

did gas stations back then have what we have now food soda ect. did gas stations have self services or people pumping gas if so 7$ would be a lot to tip someone if the gas was only 6$ to fill his tank

One thing that jumps out at me, in order to get LE to review the travel lists of costs, is that we need to show that the travel was alot for him. In doing so, I am wondering if you have the records PRIOR to 1972, maybe back to 67, to show he did or did not travel that regularly, and it suddenly increased? (Sorry if this was already addressed, I just jumped back in here, :)

One thing that jumps out at me, in order to get LE to review the travel lists of costs, is that we need to show that the travel was alot for him. In doing so, I am wondering if you have the records PRIOR to 1972, maybe back to 67, to show he did or did not travel that regularly, and it suddenly increased? (Sorry if this was already addressed, I just jumped back in here, :)
Since the actual passports are not available, only the applications, I have to rely on memory. He did travel frequently, so there was no notable increase. As far as the theft of the camera goes, all we have is what Sherlock posted previously.

That's strange. :eek: I wonder why he was making payments on the VW if his parents gave it to him as a gift?. Did they just make a down payment on it, and co-sigh a loan? or purchase and give it to him free and clear?

That original VW was a gift and he didn't make payments on it. I don't know if that was the same car he had before the Mazda.

According to the Searching for Anna book, page 93 (I'm reading it right now) -

"Some notes on Anna's father: He is driving a gray 1970 Volkswagen with the license number 653 ARH."

So GW must have bought another VW at some point.

That original VW was a gift and he didn't make payments on it. I don't know if that was the same car he had before the Mazda. You're right that the insurance costs were high, but think of all those traffic tickets SherlockJr posted. They may have had something to do with it. Or, as you say, there may have been another car. No, I don't remember his being so compulsive about paying bills, but then he seemed like an entirely different person after the GB influence took hold.

From what I can tell looking at the checkbook register, he started making payments to BOA for a loan for VW on March 5, 1970. $61/mo. A check was written on August 27, 1969 to Atlas VW for $217.42.

A few probably random thoughts, as usual, from me. I believe the ISR reference was Dr. Water's retirement insurance plan through his work. Perhaps that was an acronym for Individual Secure(ity?) Retirement. Another question that came up is the IHR reference. Isn't the word just before it...rel meaning religion? I remember reading some old newsletters from the Chicago, Easter House adoption agency. A woman who was in charge of adoptions reported meeting a dad and his daughter at a Greek church in Chicago. He gave her some sort of religious medal. This is listed under Black market babies/adoptions when you Google. Another thought came up reading the posts of SherlockJr on 9/20/07 I believe #15 suggests calling someone regarding how to FORGE IT in code. This might have been done in NY? but clearly he got Anna's passport at the same time as it says WF my dependent. It is possible that he may have been trying to arrange an adoption as early as this document suggests. Keep in mind a child's passport is only good for 5 years, not 10 like an adult's, so he would have likely had to make his move before the 5 year period lapsed. He may have also suggested that Anna was born abroad or that her mother had died, etc.

A few probably random thoughts, as usual, from me. I believe the ISR reference was Dr. Water's retirement insurance plan through his work. Perhaps that was an acronym for Individual Secure(ity?) Retirement. Another question that came up is the IHR reference. Isn't the word just before it...rel meaning religion? I remember reading some old newsletters from the Chicago, Easter House adoption agency. A woman who was in charge of adoptions reported meeting a dad and his daughter at a Greek church in Chicago. He gave her some sort of religious medal. This is listed under Black market babies/adoptions when you Google. Another thought came up reading the posts of SherlockJr on 9/20/07 I believe #15 suggests calling someone regarding how to FORGE IT in code. This might have been done in NY? but clearly he got Anna's passport at the same time as it says WF my dependent. It is possible that he may have been trying to arrange an adoption as early as this document suggests. Keep in mind a child's passport is only good for 5 years, not 10 like an adult's, so he would have likely had to make his move before the 5 year period lapsed. He may have also suggested that Anna was born abroad or that her mother had died, etc.

After working with his check registers and seeing how he abbreviates some companies or words, WF was his abbr for Wells Fargo Bank. I think this relates to a deposit.

While rereading all of Sherlocks postings on GWs check registers, I think it was very odd that a man that was premeditating suicide, had written payments out, and some were not even mailed, and some were paid. Why would you pay anything, if you didn't plan to be alive? What may have prompted this idea?

Also, is there anything happening along the lines of contacting airline info? That seems so great, but getting info that far back may be difficult, how to do that?

While rereading all of Sherlocks postings on GWs check registers, I think it was very odd that a man that was premeditating suicide, had written payments out, and some were not even mailed, and some were paid. Why would you pay anything, if you didn't plan to be alive? What may have prompted this idea?

Also, is there anything happening along the lines of contacting airline info? That seems so great, but getting info that far back may be difficult, how to do that?

I don't believe GW was premeditating his suicide this early. Probably when he realized GB was not going to survive his cancer.

GW paid his bills because he didn't want the beneficiary to have to pay them with proceeds from accidental death policies.

Dr. Doogie is working on airline information and will update us as soon as he gets word back.

Someone at one time asked about his car being broken into. I have run across a check dated November 3, 1976 for $100. The check was written as "Cash" and noted "Theft Loss". I am guessing this was a co-pay with his insurance company.

Someone at one time asked about his car being broken into. I have run across a check dated November 3, 1976 for $100. The check was written as "Cash" and noted "Theft Loss". I am guessing this was a co-pay with his insurance company.

I just noticed another check written on November 3, 1976 for $250. This check is also written as "Cash" and noted "Theft Loss G" . GW was using two different banks for his checking from Sept 1976 to Jan 1978. This second check was written on his new account at Barclays Bank.

I can try when I get home from work, Sherlock... Work won't let me play with downloads...

The first link, links up but is encrypted..second link works as does the next post link, but its all an Excel spreadsheet download....PDF runs smoother and cleaner, and everyone can access.

Fuller Brush, Leon Collett household furnishings purchased on 4-14-72 #426 on the spreadsheet was that a furnature store? those sound like names of people and he was sending them money for furnature

Wow...just....WOW, Sherlock! That is some amazing data and there has got to be something worth searching for in there.

What incredible work you have done, getting all of that data organized and transcribed! Thank you! :clap:

Fuller Brush, Leon Collett household furnishings purchased on 4-14-72 #426 on the spreadsheet was that a furnature store? those sound like names of people and he was sending them money for furnature

Fuller Brush was a company that sold brushes door-to-door like Avon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288