WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whose family has been in the buisness of cremation for years.

I told him the basics of the story and he told me I am allowed to post his responses on this board.

Here first is what I wrote to him reguarding this:

Back in 1945, on Christmas Eve, a house in Fayetteville, West Virginia burned to the ground. Believed to still be in the house were five siblings. A fourteen year old boy, his twelve year old sister, their brother who was nine years old that day, (it was his birthday), an eight year old sister, and a five year old sister. The next morning, the fire department finally showed up, and had to pour cold water on the ground as the ground was still hot. They searched but could find nothing but a few pieces of organs and a couple of bones.

The Sodder family has been torn apart ever since, becoming convinced that the fire was set and the children stolen. Their father put up a $10,000 reward and a huge billboard, talked to magazines and went everywhere searching literally until the week of his death. Very sad. I am trying to help, and the first thing I need to know is whether or not it is possible for five children to die in this fire, with almost nothing left. The house was burned to the ground.

Any may I please post your response?

If you could answer my question it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Carla

His Answers to Me :::

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Dear Carla,[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I took some time to research this story since I was not familiar with it and you are right, it is truly a sad story.[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I am not sure how we can help, however I am assuming you are contacting us due to the relationship of the fire and cremation. Consider this information on cremation: Cremation is completed in a confined chamber, usually made of a special brick, which reaches a constant temperature of 15 to 1800 degrees F. Cremation of an adult can take at least 2 hours within that environment and then time for the bone fragment to cool. After a cremation is complete, some bone fragment are still recognizable for an adult. However with children you need to consider that the bone density of a child is less and can take a shorter time to cremated within that confined environment. [/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']There might be many circumstances that I am not aware of that might have some influence on what happened, size of the house, how hot the fire was, other flammable sources, where the children were in the house, etc.. [/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Here are a couple of observations: [/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']You would have to consider how long it took the house to burn and at what temperature the fire reached and for how long it stayed at that temperature.[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Since bone is more dense than our organs then finding an organ should lead to finding bone fragments[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Were the children in the center of the fire at the hottest temperature?[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I am not sure if this information helps or if I was able to answer any questions. [/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']If you have any other questions please let me know.[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Brad Bishop[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Director of Operations[/FONT]

Whose family has been in the buisness of cremation for years.

I told him the basics of the story and he told me I am allowed to post his responses on this board.

Here first is what I wrote to him reguarding this:

Back in 1945, on Christmas Eve, a house in Fayetteville, West Virginia burned to the ground. Believed to still be in the house were five siblings. A fourteen year old boy, his twelve year old sister, their brother who was nine years old that day, (it was his birthday), an eight year old sister, and a five year old sister. The next morning, the fire department finally showed up, and had to pour cold water on the ground as the ground was still hot. They searched but could find nothing but a few pieces of organs and a couple of bones.

The Sodder family has been torn apart ever since, becoming convinced that the fire was set and the children stolen. Their father put up a $10,000 reward and a huge billboard, talked to magazines and went everywhere searching literally until the week of his death. Very sad. I am trying to help, and the first thing I need to know is whether or not it is possible for five children to die in this fire, with almost nothing left. The house was burned to the ground.

Any may I please post your response?

If you could answer my question it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Carla

His Answers to Me :::

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Dear Carla,[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'] [/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I took some time to research this story since I was not familiar with it and you are right, it is truly a sad story.[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I am not sure how we can help, however I am assuming you are contacting us due to the relationship of the fire and cremation. Consider this information on cremation: Cremation is completed in a confined chamber, usually made of a special brick, which reaches a constant temperature of 15 to 1800 degrees F. Cremation of an adult can take at least 2 hours within that environment and then time for the bone fragment to cool. After a cremation is complete, some bone fragment are still recognizable for an adult. However with children you need to consider that the bone density of a child is less and can take a shorter time to cremated within that confined environment. [/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']There might be many circumstances that I am not aware of that might have some influence on what happened, size of the house, how hot the fire was, other flammable sources, where the children were in the house, etc.. [/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Here are a couple of observations: [/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']You would have to consider how long it took the house to burn and at what temperature the fire reached and for how long it stayed at that temperature.[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Since bone is more dense than our organs then finding an organ should lead to finding bone fragments[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Were the children in the center of the fire at the hottest temperature?[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']I am not sure if this information helps or if I was able to answer any questions. [/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']If you have any other questions please let me know.[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Sincerely,[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Brad Bishop[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Director of Operations[/font]

So basically without being able to know all the variables as so much time has gone by it can not be assumed that they did not die in the fire.

I didn't know the roof was made out of tin Where is that stated? It was to my understanding it was a shingled or tar roof. That would have been strange to have a tin roof on a house like that back then. They used tin on chicken coops not houses. I also do not understand how Mrs Sodder heard something hit the roof when they were in a downstairs bedroom. I guess it depends on how the house was built/designed. I do agree that a lot of details were forgotten or over exaggerated One person could say something and by the time the story gets to the fifth person half of the story is lost and other parts are added.

The link a few posts back from Inside Detective does state that one half of the roof was made of galvanized tin and the other half standard roofing paper.

I found someone who was kind enough to do an age progression of Louis to 25-30 years of age. Since I do not know how to get pictures on the board, she is going to put it on the board for me, or tell me how to do it later in the day. She does wonderful work, and I very much appreciate what she did.

I would very much like granddaughter, since she knew the older children, to please comment on the age-progression photo and see if it looks like her aunts and uncles or anyone in her family.

I think that we should also keep in mind that if we think or do not think it looks like the 1968 photo, it does not prove or disprove that the Sodder children died in the fire. Nor does it prove or disprove that the 1968 photo is that of Louis Sodder.

Please be kind-we all know that age-progression is never an exact science-but I think you will find the picture quite interesting. I would like to thank the person who did this for me again for the great job she did.

And the tin roof popping under heat stress could definitly be possible. Great observations!
I wonder if Ms. Sodder had ever heard such a sound on her roof before? Since the Sodder's lived in the house for a very long time, seems someone should have heard the tin roof pop before. Great observation!

Here's the comparison I worked on.
Comparison3.jpg

Does anyone know why we have not heard from the Sodder famly or Shadow for such a long time? Are the Sodder family still interested in looking?

I have been away from WS'S for quite a while due to a lot of things going on in my family & personal life. I simply did not have the time to devote the time that I had been doing. I did check in occasionaly and keep up with the cases that I have been so involved in. I am glad to see the activity on the Sodder thread again. I am waiting to hear from Jennie(Granddaughter) in reference to some information to see if it is ok to post. Hopefully I will be able to soon. I will be trying to catch up in the next couple of days and am checking on getting a copy of the back of the picture.
I see that there are several new members to the thread...Welcome! To those of you who have been here since the beginning, I am glad to see that you are hanging in there.

I have been away from WS'S for quite a while due to a lot of things going on in my family & personal life. I simply did not have the time to devote the time that I had been doing. I did check in occasionaly and keep up with the cases that I have been so involved in. I am glad to see the activity on the Sodder thread again. I am waiting to hear from Jennie(Granddaughter) in reference to some information to see if it is ok to post. Hopefully I will be able to soon. I will be trying to catch up in the next couple of days and am checking on getting a copy of the back of the picture.
I see that there are several new members to the thread...Welcome! To those of you who have been here since the beginning, I am glad to see that you are hanging in there.

Shadow, we miss you! :blowkiss:

I rec'd communcation from grandaughter in Dec, last I heard from her..I believe this the same as you refer.

I think I will email her and check in?

Now Please I need to know if anybody knows what the children recieved from their sister who worked at the five and dime store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa