GUILTY IN - Pregnant teller shot in Indy bank robbery, twin babies die, 22 April 2008

I just caught back up on this thread, and it makes me wonder about Laci and Conner's Law. Isn't bank robbery a federal crime if the funds are FDIC insured? Could they get them on federal charges? B/c then would it be a homicide under Laci and Conner's law???

http://law.jrank.org/pages/565/Bank-Robbery.html

The act makes it a federal offense for anyone to take or attempt to take by force and violence or intimidation anything of value belonging to one of the protected institutions, or anything that is in one of the protected institution's care, custody, control, management, or possession (§ 2113(a)). The statute divides the offense of bank robbery into various stages, making criminal the acts that constitute the steps of the crime.

http://www.findlaci2003.us/conner-law.html

The legislation would let the federal government charge people with killing a fetus, if the fetus dies in the commission of a federal crime. California and 25 other states have similar laws, which is why Scott Peterson is being charged with two counts of murder in the deaths of his wife and their unborn son.

The federal legislation would go further than California's law, though; California's law protects a fetus that has passed the "embryonic stage," pegged at seven or eight weeks, while the more ambitious federal legislation would protect a fetus "at any stage of development."

The news conference just concluded. They stated that they were unsure if federal charges could be filed, which might bump up the feticide charges. They also mentioned that they would attempt to get a bill passed during the next legislative session (which begins in January) to be able to charge this crime as murder.

Thank you for the update. I didn't know that her babies died. :( That makes me so sad to hear. She is in my prayers.

I do hope the perp is charged with murder. :furious: In my mind, that's exactly what this is. Murder of two babies. :furious:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,369534,00.html

Authorities announced Friday that a man has been arrested on charges that he was the gunman who shot a pregnant bank teller, causing her to later lose her twins.
Detectives arrested Brian Kendrick, 29, on several charges, including attempted murder and two counts of feticide, for the April 22 shooting during the robbery of a Huntington Bank branch on the city's east side, police said.
Katherin Shuffield, 30, was five months pregnant when she shot in the abdomen as the gunman jumped over the teller's station and fired just after the bank had opened for the day. Two days after the shooting, Shuffield lost her twin girls.
Police also arrested Aaron Stewart, 28, on conspiracy to commit robbery charges for helping Kendrick. (more at link)

I am so glad this monster was caught. My heart broke when I heard she lost those precious babies. What kind of person would do something like that? Take the money and go. Don't harm innocent unborn babies and their mother :(

Does anyone else (besides me) think this might be a hate crime? She was cooperating, but he shot her anyway, and right in the stomach. I would think that at 5 months along she would have been showing. He may have resented her in some way, and her ethnicity may have been a factor. JMO.

From May 2012:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/man-convicted-in-pregnant-teller-shooting-resentenced

An Indianapolis man sentenced in 2010 to 53 years in prison for the attempted murder of a pregnant teller was resentenced on Friday...

In the re-sentencing, the judge gave Kendrick 38 years for the attempted murder, 14 years for robbery and one year for the handgun...

Deputy Prosecutor Anne Harrigan said that Shuffield is currently pregnant and that she no longer lives in the area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back