GUILTY Australia - Tina Watson, 26, dies on honeymoon scuba dive, QLD, 22 Oct 2003

As the old saying goes, better late than never.

He WILL get what's coming to him, if not in this world, then in the next.

Jeez...that FOX link says he's remarried?!?!?
Who the heck would marry this guy after his first wife died under such suspicious circumstances?!?!?
:doh:

David Watson was arrested today at the airport in Australia. He now will face murder charges there.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520017,00.html

Oh good! I followed that one from the beginning and was wondering if they'd ever get around to charging & trying him. YAY!

Hi Stella and All, I think this is one of the classic cases where a reconstruction solved the crime, proving that she wasn't where he said she was when she suddenly started to sink down to the floor of the ocean. If she had been there she would have landed in a different spot than where she was found, and evidently that made all the difference in the murder. xox

Hi Stella and All, I think this is one of the classic cases where a reconstruction solved the crime, proving that she wasn't where he said she was when she suddenly started to sink down to the floor of the ocean. If she had been there she would have landed in a different spot than where she was found, and evidently that made all the difference in the murder. xox

Most definitely! Also the picture that someone else on the dive took of his partner that showed her sinking in the background... that was huge and led to the suspicion. I'm just thrilled this has finally happened.

Most definitely! Also the picture that someone else on the dive took of his partner that showed her sinking in the background... that was huge and led to the suspicion. I'm just thrilled this has finally happened.

Stella, I saw an hour long special on this case and it could have been on Court TV, oh, maybe about 2 years or so ago. Fascinating, and told pretty much everything known up to that point.

He was a real wimp and when called to go down to Ausieland for a reconstruction he refused to go. So they held the reconstruction anyway and hired a stand-in for him. That is when they discovered it could be proven he was lying.

Quite an investigative tool for the right case. This guy is going down IMO xox

He pled guilty to manslaughter:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525170,00.html

An American man has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his wife who drowned during a honeymoon scuba diving trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef in 2003.

David Gabriel Watson, 32, from Alabama, was arrested Wednesday at Brisbane International Airport after voluntarily returning to Australia from the U.S. to face the charge of murdering his wife Christina — known as Tina — while the couple were diving at a reef off Townsville, north Queensland, in October 2003.

Watson is accused of killing his wife 11 days into their honeymoon while scuba diving on their honeymoon on the Great Barrier Reef.
Watson originally had denied any part in Tina’s death, but inconsistencies with his story about what happened the day she died, and a long campaign by her parents in America, led to an inquest in Queensland last year.

Last June, David Glasgow, the Townsville coroner, found that it was likely that Watson killed his 26-year-old wife by holding her underwater, bear-hugging her until she suffocated, and turning off her air supply.
An extraordinary photograph was released by police showing Tina, arms outstretched, lying motionless at the bottom of the ocean, as another diver, unaware of what is happening behind him, poses for the camera.

Watson, a bubble wrap salesman, has since remarried in the U.S., and his lawyers had indicated that they would fight his extradition to Australia.
It is not immediately clear what prison term Watson faces

An American man has pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his wife who drowned during a honeymoon scuba diving trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef in 2003.

David Gabriel Watson, 32, from Alabama, was arrested Wednesday at Brisbane International Airport after voluntarily returning to Australia from the U.S. to face the charge of murdering his wife Christina — known as Tina — while the couple were diving at a reef off Townsville, north Queensland, in October 2003.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525170,00.html

Okay, now throw away the key after he is locked up. Too good for him anyway.

Unfortunately, the key will stay in hand... his sentence will see him do prison time of ONE YEAR on a 4.5 year sentence, because he is not going to prison for intentionally murdering her... he bargained for an "oops he didn't give his diving buddy oxygen help" kind of slap on the wrist, and got it. :(

IMO, this is a miscarriage of justice. He is literally getting away with murder, because the manslaughter charge and the reasoning behind the charge clears him of intentionally murdering her... he is just going to prison for not helping her. Mind you, all things seem to point to him being the one that purposely put her in the position of needing life-saving help, in the first place. :(

Why was he allowed to plea guilty to manslaughter? IMO, the DA had plenty on this guy for murder one.

Why was he allowed to plea guilty to manslaughter? IMO, the DA had plenty on this guy for murder one.

I completely agree. He tried to take out life insurance before going on the trip. Definitely premeditated.

As a diver, I've followed this case from the beginnng. How horrible for this to happen and he's only going to serve a year.

Cases like this really frustrate me! A year? Puh-leeze! His new wife should get out now. Remember Drew Peterson. Leopards don't change their spots.

wow what a travesty and miscarriage of justice.. I feel terribly for the family.. there should have been a pursuit fo the full charges. Tha family was prepared to see justice regardless fo the risk of losing the case.. The father did say that this is not over.. likely they will seek a civil suit now...

I pray that the can find some peace and justice at some point .. even if its karma or other wise that it comes in .. and I would be running if I were the current wife..

This infuriates me to no end. One year he will serve!!!! Is that what a human being's life is worth?!!!

I wonder if he got the life insurance money,surely he did. What a creep,i just read this on cnn and i can't believe he pretty much got away with it. Prayers for her family,im sure they are furious.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back