Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cdnmedhall.org/laureates/?laur_id=34

The link above has a photograph of Dr. Claude Fortier. I looked at it again and compared it with "Jock" and there IS a resemblance between the two of them. I don't have access right now, but maybe one of our users could contact someone in Canada and ask for information on Dr. Fortier. There isn't a whole lot on the web that I can see.

http://www.prixduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/recherche/desclaureat.asp?noLaureat=153

Here is a link with his actual photo.

Guys,
I'm changing the subject, hope you guys won't mind.
Sunday was a very quite day here and I started thinking about this young couple. Here's what I came up with.
The couple was dressed clean and had had a bath that day. The shoes the girl was wearing was not for walking long distances or hitch hiking. The type of shoes say a lot.. They were dressed as young people would dress on a warn Sunday evening to go somewhere or visit.

It's very possible this couple had been staying in this area since March'67 and possibly a year. Young people don't live in an area for weeks and months without getting to know someone and making friends. Jock was playing pool, talking and acting friendly and said he liked the area and staying there twice.

Remember this was a Sunday evening in August.
I suspect this couple was VISITING someone they had met, that Sunday evening or had someone visiting them possibly at the KOA that evening.
IF not they was riding/ going somewhere with someone they had met, possibly in the couples vehicle.

IMO they were shot by someone or several people that they were visiting/with that evening. Each was shot in the same place, the back and in the chest at close range. With the WORDING, I do have questions as to which direction each shot entered the body..1 through the back and 1 through the front chest or both from the back???
After being shot, Loaded in a van, taken 50 miles up the road and 'placed' beside the road, then shot again, once under the chin, to cover up what actually happened and where.
This killer knew this couple and didn't have anything against the nice couple, so he didn't shoot them in the back of the head or in the face....:rose:
He/they placed the couple beside the road, where they would be found quickly.

What they had was worth killing for and he just wanted what they had...imo..a high performance Mustang and camper or possibly a nice Van..
which leads me to suspect the Killer/killers were older than the couple...I'm 100 % sure L. Henry knew what happened, why and who the killer/killers were, he owned the murder weapon for 4 yrs. BEFORE the murders and 4 months (Dec. '76) AFTER the murders..

What do you guys think about this theory?

I tried posting some ads to French kijiji.ca sites, but I can't read/speak French so I have no idea what to say! I tried putting some up on the Toronto/Ottawa sites, but it's not working. I'll try later...

I tried posting some ads to French kijiji.ca sites, but I can't read/speak French so I have no idea what to say! I tried putting some up on the Toronto/Ottawa sites, but it's not working. I'll try later...
Some websites will translate French to English and vice versa. Do a search on Google and some websites will pull up saying "translate this page." I e-mailed a medical website in Canada and told them that I'm doing a research paper on Dr. Fortier and was inquiring about biographical information including family.

I e-mailed a medical website in Canada and told them that I'm doing a research paper on Dr. Fortier and was inquiring about biographical information including family.

I hope I don't offend, but is it really appropriate to try to obtain this person's family info under false pretenses? Why not be honest and send a copy of one of the many stories that has been written about this to the medical website? People these days are more concerned about privacy than ever-- so I have doubts about whether any personal information about this family would be divulged. Good luck though, it's always good to not rule anything out.

I think I've said this before but I'll say it again. I can read and write decently in French (can't speak it worth a darn though) and I don't mind translating. Just let me know what you want to say/read and I'll see what I can do.

I think I've said this before but I'll say it again. I can read and write decently in French (can't speak it worth a darn though) and I don't mind translating. Just let me know what you want to say/read and I'll see what I can do.

Oh, I missed that! :) I'd like to see the gist of information for Jacques and Jane Doe translated intro French, with the LE information on Doe Network, and perhaps with a little note about how Jacques said he was the son of a Canadian doctor who disowned him after he left medical school. Of course, that part could be a lie, but maybe it will help someone remember who these people are! Please and thanks in advance!

Oh, I missed that! :) I'd like to see the gist of information for Jacques and Jane Doe translated intro French, with the LE information on Doe Network, and perhaps with a little note about how Jacques said he was the son of a Canadian doctor who disowned him after he left medical school. Of course, that part could be a lie, but maybe it will help someone remember who these people are! Please and thanks in advance!

Good idea. I'll work on it this weekend and post it when I get done.

Fortier looks very much like the Jock Doe pic in the morgue with his mouth open. That pic really looks like a sketch to me and not an actual photo. I enlarged it, and I see shading on the cheek and around the mouth and chin that looks like it was done with a pencil. Also, the edge of the eye lids looks darker than they should if it was a photograph.

Can anyone verify whether or not the Jock Doe pic is a drawing or a photo? I'm really puzzled by how different the pic that I just mentioned looks as opposed to the retouched after autopsy pictures. They just don't look like the same person at all to me, and I have to wonder if it wasn't intentional.

I'm sorry if I'm posting too much. I'm just really obsessed with this case.

Fortier looks very much like the Jock Doe pic in the morgue with his mouth open. That pic really looks like a sketch to me and not an actual photo. I enlarged it, and I see shading on the cheek and around the mouth and chin that looks like it was done with a pencil. Also, the edge of the eye lids looks darker than they should if it was a photograph.

Can anyone verify whether or not the Jock Doe pic is a drawing or a photo? I'm really puzzled by how different the pic that I just mentioned looks as opposed to the retouched after autopsy pictures. They just don't look like the same person at all to me, and I have to wonder if it wasn't intentional.

I'm sorry if I'm posting too much. I'm just really obsessed with this case.

justthinkin, You're not posting too much..I look forward to reading what your 'good common sense investigation' has discovered next.

You aren't alone in your obsession of this case, which by far is the most mysterious, imo... I am obsessed with this case and 3 others.

2. Roger Ellison in 1981 vanished from school, 3. Child *advertiser censored* found in dead barbers house & tapes of 4 yr. old Jacob Wetterling 4. 2 oklahoma girls murdered..

:blowkiss:

You haven't heard my latest theory. LOL. It'll have to wait, I have a couple of errands to run.
bbl

The reference to a van is puzzling. As far as I know, there were no witnesses to the execution, so the only person who could have known about a van, if a van was involved, was the killer. One of the LE people said that Lonnie George Henry was a truck driver by trade. Surely he wasn't the one who found the couple...Nah, couldn't be. Nothing would surprise me. I think Sumpter County has a dirty little secret or two or three or who knows how ever many. Certainly their illustrious senator's first daughter came as a shock. After all, he was against the Civil Rights Movement before he was for it.

That six page article is full of inaccuracies. Truck driver spots the bodies and by 6:20AM, LE is out there going over the scene. I checked, and on Aug. 9, 1976, sunrise was at 6:39AM. The truck driver saw what at what time????? He was NOT ON Locklear when he spotted the bodies according to the articles I've seen. He had to be traveling west northwest on Douglas Swamp, preparing to take the overpass over Hwy 95.

I pulled up Locklear Rd. on the map, and some of the land around the intersection of Locklear and Douglas Swamp Rd. is still heavily wooded. Locklear doesn't intersect with Hwy 95 according to current maps so it never was a frontage road in the sense that a person could exit off or enter onto Hwy 95. It's impossible to reach Locklear from Hwy 95. It is only accessible from Douglas Swamp Rd.

The next is all theory....Call it theory 1. I have another I'll post separately.

I'm beginning to have doubts about David B. Someone who lives or works at a campground is in a position to easily spot people that aren't from around the area. Strike up a conversation, find out the people would be hard to trace or maybe that no one was expecting them back on a particular date, and voila, we might have a couple of candidates for murder.

Maybe David B. was just the informant, told someone else who knocked these people off. Maybe one of the reasons it took David B. so long to come forward was that he shared in the disposal of a car or maybe a trailer or other possessions these people might have had. Perhaps Henry or some other character got the car, and David B. got the trailer. It's a distinct possibility.

By the time LE got to talk to David B., a trailer, if there was one, would've been long gone. Maybe he was just brazen enough to call LE knowing at that point there was nothing that could be traced back to him.

Back to Locklear Rd., I can't think of any reason why these people, if traveling by car, would've been on Locklear or known of Locklear if it didn't connect up with Hwy 95. If you're in an unfamiliar area, you tend to stick to the main highways. Whoever killed them were locals, no doubt about it. I feel positive our Doe couple had a car or a truck, and were pulling a trailer, maybe a pop up camper. Those were very popular around that time.

The more I think about it, there was no reason for David B. or his wife not to report what they knew to LE as soon as they got word of the murders. There were possiblyy other campers in the park who could've been interviewed. I think David B. was in on this somehow. He might not have been the murderer, but I do believe he may have set these people up. We've got two choices here. Either David B. and his wife were too scared to talk or too involved.

My next theory is totally different.

justthinkin...Your excellent theory got me thinkin..

IF this investigation is still open and on going, David B.'s wife should be interviewed, with some direct questions asked of her..she just might want to tell what she remembers.

You don't need a degree in LE or investigative experience to know LE has done nothing more in 30 years to solve this case, their actions will have me convinced there was a cover-up by someone with clout...and I'd like to know WHY!..:liar:....silenced:

ITA. She should be interviewed.

Oh, I think someone/s in LE were getting a kick back for looking the other way on an auto theft ring, and the trail could lead higher than that.
One of the articles I've read discussing this case, reported 20 unsolved murder cases in Sumter County. If I'm not mistaken, it's mostly rural even today. That's an unheard of number so someone had something going on, and knew how to get away with it or had help getting away with stuff.

WOW... I have so much to catch up on. I have skimmed through some of the recent post and I'm so excited to see so much interest in this case and so many fresh sets of eyes. I was hoping the DNA might be back by now.

A frontage road doesn't intersect with the interstate highway system. A frontage road is a road that runs parallel to the interstate and allows for drivers to get to local homes and businesses that would otherwise be closed off due to the freeway.

Locklear is a frontage road that doesn't intersect. Some frontage roads do intersect.

Also, let's keep in mind that some people on this forum live in the state of South Carolina. References to state politics and the like are unnecessary at this point. Thanks.

Hi phenolred,

I was wondering when you'd be back to check the forum. How long have you studied this case? Can you tell me if you're the one who did the shots of the girl with the wigs superimposed? And do you have any info on who did the various sketches? Some of them look really different. I've been wondering if they were all police sketches or if some had another source. Also really curious about that one photo of the guy with much darker skin and a greek look about him.

WOW... I have so much to catch up on. I have skimmed through some of the recent post and I'm so excited to see so much interest in this case and so many fresh sets of eyes. I was hoping the DNA might be back by now.

Welcome back, phenolred..I've been wondering what happened to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard