Defense What is their strategy? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal opinion as well.
Jose Baez is thinking more about his future here than he is Casey's.
If he truely had Casey's best interest in mind, he would have urged her to take "a deal " while there was one on the table. This is a no win for the defense, no matter what the Dream team proclaims on tv each day!
While JB is out sailing the waters on a lovely sunny day and sipping champagne with Geraldo, Casey will be sitting in prison for murder I for the rest of her life.
Well, personally, I'm glad he didn't tell her to take a plea deal. This way a jury will decide her fate as it should be and most likely she'll spend the rest of her life in prison. I don't think a defense lawyer can force his client to take a plea deal if the client is proclaiming her innocence. So for this, I don't blame Baez. MOO :)

Here is my attempt:

KC got accosted by a bad dude or dudette and was threatened at gunpoint and forced to hand over Caylee as insurance that KC would do the dude or dudettes bidding. (I am sure they can weave some story about what she was being forced to do and why she was accosted). KC agrees to do whatever it was he/she wanted in order to save Caylee. Being a loving mother, KC made sure Caylee had some of her favorite toys.

They made KC duck tape Caylee's mouth (add this only if her fingerprints are found on the tape) so KC lovingly put on a heart shaped sticker over the tape, so that Caylee would be less scared. At some point, Caylee died.

At gun point, they forced KC to put Caylee in the trunk etc etc etc. I am sure the defense team could come up with other details that would fit with the evidence. As a witness to the murder of her little girl, KC was threated that her family would be next if she told.

Fearful that they would now go after the rest of her family, KC remained silent. Her partying was a desperate attempt for KC to convince the bad dude or dudette that she had remained silent as well as a way to deal with and dull her sadness and pain. When Cindy blew the whistle, Casey came up with the various nanny scenarios so that the bad dude/dudette would not hurt her family. Unfortunately, her lies about Zanny made her the prime suspect. The bad dude or dudette have since disappeared off the face of the earth. KC did not know the name of this bad dude/dudette and he/she wore masks. the defense has been following up all leads to find the masked man and strongly believe that the dude/dudette will be found! Regarding the timeline, the original accosting of KC by the maked dude/dudette could have occured June 15 earlier in the day when Caylee was at her great grandfathers. The acutal handover happened the following day

Ok thats my first go - any one want to add or embelish? Please feel free to adjust to better fit the facts....

I can't add anything to this. I'm afraid all I can say is, that as a truly loving mother the gunman would have had to use that gun on me, as I would never have put duct tape on my baby's face with or without a heart sticker. Nor would I put my baby in a trunk. It just wouldn't have happened, nor would my family have wanted me to.

If I were on this jury I would need to ask for a piece of duct tape for myself to keep from laughing in the face of the atty's asking me to believe their ridiculous story.

I can't add anything to this. I'm afraid all I can say is, that as a truly loving mother the gunman would have had to use that gun on me, as I would never have put duct tape on my baby's face with or without a heart sticker. Nor would I put my baby in a trunk. It just wouldn't have happened, nor would my family have wanted me to.

If I were on this jury I would need to ask for a piece of duct tape for myself to keep from laughing in the face of the atty's asking me to believe their ridiculous story.

ITA!!!!! Not that I don't LOVE the Dude/Dudette story . . . But Duckley, you forgot to mention how Dude/Dudette instructed KC to wipe out her BFF's account & go buy silly things at target, like hoodie shirts, bras & big white sunglasses (to match her hip, tied-at-the-waist Caylee is Missing t-shirts).

A defense attorney's obligation is to provide a zealous defense of his client - his personal opinion of his client's guilt or innocence has absolutely zero to do with his defense. He takes his instruction from the client.

Agreed, but does that instruction include parading around to the media, hiring former felons as PR spokespeople, hugging, flirting? Just wondering. :waitasec:

ITA!!!!! Not that I don't LOVE the Dude/Dudette story . . . But Duckley, you forgot to mention how Dude/Dudette instructed KC to wipe out her BFF's account & go buy silly things at target, like hoodie shirts, bras & big white sunglasses (to match her hip, tied-at-the-waist Caylee is Missing t-shirts).

True - the one-armed bad dude/dudette made her do that - more proof!:crazy:

I shouldnt be so glib... I guess the point is that I can't imagine how the defense can make SODDI defense....

The question is who will the dude/dudette be? Are they sticking with Zanny the Nanny or are the going to point the finger at Jesse Grund? The attorney on NG said if they go with Zanny KC is going to have to take the stand. I CAN'T WAIT! Cross-examining that lying you-know-what would be the event of the century.

The most likely top 3 for being thrown under the bus by Jose/defense team, IMHO, is (in no particular order): Ricardo, JG, and CA

Here is my attempt:

KC got accosted by a bad dude or dudette and was threatened at gunpoint and forced to hand over Caylee as insurance that KC would do the dude or dudettes bidding. (I am sure they can weave some story about what she was being forced to do and why she was accosted). KC agrees to do whatever it was he/she wanted in order to save Caylee. Being a loving mother, KC made sure Caylee had some of her favorite toys.

They made KC duck tape Caylee's mouth (add this only if her fingerprints are found on the tape) so KC lovingly put on a heart shaped sticker over the tape, so that Caylee would be less scared. At some point, Caylee died.

At gun point, they forced KC to put Caylee in the trunk etc etc etc. I am sure the defense team could come up with other details that would fit with the evidence. As a witness to the murder of her little girl, KC was threated that her family would be next if she told.

Fearful that they would now go after the rest of her family, KC remained silent. Her partying was a desperate attempt for KC to convince the bad dude or dudette that she had remained silent as well as a way to deal with and dull her sadness and pain. When Cindy blew the whistle, Casey came up with the various nanny scenarios so that the bad dude/dudette would not hurt her family. Unfortunately, her lies about Zanny made her the prime suspect. The bad dude or dudette have since disappeared off the face of the earth. KC did not know the name of this bad dude/dudette and he/she wore masks. the defense has been following up all leads to find the masked man and strongly believe that the dude/dudette will be found! Regarding the timeline, the original accosting of KC by the maked dude/dudette could have occured June 15 earlier in the day when Caylee was at her great grandfathers. The acutal handover happened the following day

Ok thats my first go - any one want to add or embelish? Please feel free to adjust to better fit the facts....

Let's see, ok I'll pretend I am 2 years old and my mama puts a big ole piece of duct tape over my mouth so I can't scream. No amount of heart stickers in the world is going to make me feeel likle she loves me, or make it better in the least.

Well, the defense doesn't have to prove anything, they don't have to produce another culprit.

True - the one-armed bad dude/dudette made her do that - more proof!:crazy:

I shouldnt be so glib... I guess the point is that I can't imagine how the defense can make SODDI defense....

Actually, the Fugitive reference is totally intentional by JB IMHO...The murder of Marilyn Sheppard (for which her husband Dr. Sam Sheppard was convicted, and later acquitted) has been cited as the inspiration for the original Fugitive series. It was one of the earlier true crime trials to galvanize the nation...

From the wikipedia entry: "Sheppard served ten years of his sentence. After several appeals were rejected, his petition for a writ of habeas corpus was granted by a United States district court judge on July 15, 1964. The State of Ohio was ordered either to free Sheppard or to grant him a new trial. The case was reviewed by the U.S. Supreme Court in Sheppard v. Maxwell, 384 U.S. 333 (1966). The Court held that Sheppard's conviction was the result of a trial in which he was denied due process. The decision noted, among other factors, that a "carnival atmosphere" had permeated the trial, and that the trial judge had refused to sequester the jury, had not ordered the jury to ignore and disregard media reports of the case, and on the very first day of the trial had said, "Well, he's guilty as hell. There's no question about it."

In case his SODDI defense fails, I think Baez is trying to pave the way for an appeal based on the extraordinary media coverage of this case...

They also made her do a chloroform search on the computer.

snipped

In case his SODDI defense fails, I think Baez is trying to pave the way for an appeal based on the extraordinary media coverage of this case...

sure makes sense then to have that media company helping him out dontcha think?

Oh, itsyourworld, I love the way your mind works....that would be a sort of "evil genius" thing for JB to do...whip up a media frenzy, get good and famous, then win an appeal based on media frenzy....is he that smart? Or that devious?

Funny thing about that media coverage

Remember JB himself argued against a gag order the prosecution wanted...

Not a smart thing to do if one wants to argue media coverage for tainting a jury pool. :bang:

If Baez complains to the judge about the media frenzy I hope the judge reminds him that he was as big a part of that frenzy as anyone else. He is always in the media for something or the other.

I think this judge will be just as careful during the trial as the judge for Scott Peterson was so that there won't be any grounds for an appeal.

I do wonder if Baez really thinks Casey is innocent. LKB said recently that she had just met Casey in the last couple of weeks. I thought that was really strange for an attorney. Is that normal?

If Baez complains to the judge about the media frenzy I hope the judge reminds him that he was as big a part of that frenzy as anyone else. He is always in the media for something or the other.

I think this judge will be just as careful during the trial as the judge for Scott Peterson was so that there won't be any grounds for an appeal.

I do wonder if Baez really thinks Casey is innocent. LKB said recently that she had just met Casey in the last couple of weeks. I thought that was really strange for an attorney. Is that normal?

I heard her in another interview say they first met the day before she appeared in court in her new-look blazer. (She was trying to justify the "smiling" KC was doing in court.) Not sure why it took so long for them to meet.

Well, the defense doesn't have to prove anything, they don't have to produce another culprit.

The TH's seem to disagree. If she wants to point a finger they say she needs to get on the stand to do it.

Oh, itsyourworld, I love the way your mind works....that would be a sort of "evil genius" thing for JB to do...whip up a media frenzy, get good and famous, then win an appeal based on media frenzy....is he that smart? Or that devious?

Maybe JB isn't, but LKB IS!

I have a question and don't know where to post it, so if you want to move, etc. please feel free.

Ok so the defense team adamanty states that KC is innocent. Can anybody explain why they would take this to trial vs. going to the state attorney and giving them the information to prove her innocence before trial?? Is it so they can prove their theory in a court of law, are they afraid the State Attny wouldn't follow up, is the defense doing their own investigation to bring out in court? OR is it "legally" beyond approaching the State Attorney at this point since charges have been brought against KC?

I guess I am asking if this is a legal manuever by her defense team or is it against not an acceptable legal practive to go to the State Attorney before the trial.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member