2009.02.18 Defense Statement

:bang:
Does Baez even read the stuff he demands???
I'm guessing not so much..........

I personally think that given LKB is on the Defense team and this citing of the NAS report that the Defense will use the KC trial as a test case to go against forensic science, both in terms of comparative analysis as well as there not being independent observers -- so the scientists err towards proving the prosecution case rather than being 'fair and balanced'. There will be some merit to these accusations, so while the totality will not be debunked -- the Jury will be confused if not have reasonable doubt on the forensics. Hung jury?

New Documents and Photos Released In Casey Anthony Case
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:42:49 PM

Defense Reacts
Meanwhile, lawyers for Casey Anthony released this statement Wednesday. “The State’s forensic report on duct tape, plastic bags and other items is a one-sided law enforcement-generated report and is biased and speculative. It uses ‘junk science,’ the kind of flawed comparative analysis that the two-year study by National Academy of Sciences released today.”

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/2/18/new_documents_released_in_casey_anthony_case.html

Junk science!
Junk science is a favorite term of Linda Kenney Baden.
And, I guess she and Jose are including the FBI Headquarter's labs in the distribution of the "junk science" too?

Wow - unbelievable. If these guys had any sense at all, they would be feverishly working with the prosecutors to make a deal that might save their client's life!!!!! I doubt that any jury with any common sense would look at how diligently the state has worked on the evidence and put this case together and conclude it is all junk science. Just MHO.
I agree wholeheartedly, desertmom.:)
I think the key words you've used here are "if these guys had any common sense at all". They apparently have none.
It really seems that JB is just seeing alot of ways to make $$$, instead of looking for a way to save his client's life!

Junk science or not, I think as a juror I could ignore all forensic evidence and still find KC guilty. I have to believe the totality of the evidence will prevail.

Junk science is a favorite term of Linda Kenney Baden.
And, I guess she and Jose are including the FBI Headquarter's labs in the distribution of the "junk science" too?

Yes, this is standard operating procedure when trying to plant doubt about scientific findings. I agree that LKB contributed this train of thought; from what I've seen of Baez, I don't think he's bright enough to come up with it. The problem is, of course, that the prosecution will provide FBI experts to verify the findings. These doofuses are clutching at straws, IMO.

i heard the defense reaction on tv earlier. i swear all i heard was someone who sounded just like charlie browns teacher "womp womp womp womp womp".

Is it me or is the last sentence of the defense's statement "flawed" ? It is such a poorly constructed sentence that I've got to believe it was written by TB. Did the new spokesperson quit already ?

I'd say so... here's the quote:

It uses ‘junk science,’ the kind of flawed comparative analysis that the two-year study by National Academy of Sciences released today.

I parse that as saying that the two-year study is ‘junk science,’ which obviously undermines the very source they are citing!

Of course all science is ‘junk science.’

I forget the WS-er who has this sig, but it's appropriate now--

"Science is only science. Nothing is 100%." - Cindy Anthony

Lead defense counsel Jose Baez says: It is just as important to focus on the fact that there are no fingerprints on the duct tape and there never was any red sticker of any shape or size found on the tape.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/021809_baez_responds_to_discovery

:waitasec:

Ummm...big OOPS here from JB. Who said the heart-shaped sticker on the duct tape was red?. I have never seen the "color" of the sticker mentioned by LE or anyone else. In fact, only the residue of a heart-shaped sticker was found on the duct tape on Caylee's mouth. Who, except the perp, could have known it was red???????

I fail to see where any of the so-called "bias" is in any of this report. I guess it's just another reminder that from "day one" the world was out to get KC, the victim in all of this. The only bias I'm seeing is LE's "bias" toward the victim, who just so happens to be a defenseless toddler. How dare them!

Unless kc does a plea deal, or confesses...........
I do think this will be a VERY LONG trial with all the evidence.
Piece by piece defence debating each piece.
JVM says that there is ALLOT more evidence to come!!!!!:eek:

Okay, this doesn't make sense! The docs don't say there weren't prints found on the duct tape, just that GA, CA and LA's prints weren't on the duct tape. The docs do support the sticker. At least that's how I read them! :confused:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

(quote from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

I fail to see where any of the so-called "bias" is in any of this report. I guess it's just another reminder that from "day one" the world was out to get KC, the victim in all of this. The only bias I'm seeing is LE's "bias" toward the victim, who just so happens to be a defenseless toddler. How dare them!

Me either...I see no bias! Whata dumb stmt for the defense to make. And of course the defense is going to say this because they have "bias" as well. And their bias opinion (or should I say "Baez'ed opinion") is that KC is innocent..that there's no way could she have committed this horrible crime. The jurors will see it differently, however, because the evidence is stacking up against KC. JMO.

Defense co-counsel Linda Kenney Baden says:
Were looking closely at the NAS report. Comparative forensic analyses like those in this discovery are conducted by law enforcement agencies with no independent oversight. Our defense experts will make sure there is an objective analysis of this biased discovery. The Anthony case may be one to set a precedent in exposing the flaws in evidence that only law enforcement has tested.

Well, now we have a further idea of which direction the defense is heading in. This could get ugly.

I'm still not worried though. She won't walk.

Italics are mine.

I bet we're going to hear a LOT about the defense experts not having access to the remains scene right along with LE. That's the precedent she's looking for IMO. And maybe someone with that ax to grind is the one with deep pockets financing Casey's defense ?

It's amusing.

Hoping to hear DP is back on table this week.

I personally think that given LKB is on the Defense team and this citing of the NAS report that the Defense will use the KC trial as a test case to go against forensic science, both in terms of comparative analysis as well as there not being independent observers -- so the scientists err towards proving the prosecution case rather than being 'fair and balanced'. There will be some merit to these accusations, so while the totality will not be debunked -- the Jury will be confused if not have reasonable doubt on the forensics. Hung jury?

Yep. I think this is LKB's plan. It'll be great for her career and reputation.

I wonder if she has ever done, or will ever do, anything to help Caylee. I understand and appreciate that we need people to do what she does for defendants - I don't ever want an innocent person to be unjustly punished. I just have such a hard time reconciling that need with the needs of victims, especially those such as Caylee whose voice is limited to that of the SA's office, whose voice is restricted and confined to the trial.

Thank God that Caylee has a few people like Mark Klaas who are acting as voices for her. I just wish there were more voices for her. I wish someone in her family would fight and scream for her.

KC has sooooo many people fighting and screaming for her, such as LKB. Who gives a voice to victims such as Caylee whose family fights and screams only for her murderer? I am more than willing to fight and scream for Caylee. I think about this every day. But where do I go? How do I do it? I feel so inadequate, so ashamed of myself that I don't know how to do this, that in all these months I haven't figured it out. It is agony.

Yep. I think this is LKB's plan. It'll be great for her career and reputation.

I wonder if she has ever done, or will ever do, anything to help Caylee. I understand and appreciate that we need people to do what she does for defendants - I don't ever want an innocent person to be unjustly punished. I just have such a hard time reconciling that need with the needs of victims, especially those such as Caylee whose voice is limited to that of the SA's office, whose voice is restricted and confined to the trial.

Thank God that Caylee has a few people like Mark Klaas who are acting as voices for her. I just wish there were more voices for her. I wish someone in her family would fight and scream for her.

KC has sooooo many people fighting and screaming for her, such as LKB. Who gives a voice to victims such as Caylee whose family fights and screams only for her murderer? I am more than willing to fight and scream for Caylee. I think about this every day. But where do I go? How do I do it? I feel so inadequate, so ashamed of myself that I don't know how to do this, that in all these months I haven't figured it out. It is agony.

I think a statistical analysis (if possible) of all discussion involving the case would come up 99% against and 1% for. Even so, I'm concerned about how exactly this benefits the fight for justice in Caylee's case. I think LE had the right idea when they petitioned for a gag order. Less for us, but better for the case.

Oh man!! I wish I knew it was "junk science" BEFORE I went and wasted my time reading all that stuff. And here I was believing all of that nonsense. Don't I feel foolish now.

No way Jose...it's not gonna work...and I hope this statement is dumbed down enough for you to understand.:crazy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/u...r=3&sq=solomon forencis evidence&st=cse&scp=3

Science Found Wanting in Nation's Crime Labs.

This is an extract from the article:

Donald Kennedy, a Stanford scientist who helped select the report’s authors, said federal law enforcement agencies resented “intervention” of mainstream science — especially the National Academy — in the courts.

He said the National Institute of Justice, a research arm of the Justice Department, tried to derail the forensic study by refusing to finance it and demanding to review the findings before publication. A bipartisan vote in Congress in 2005 broke the impasse with a $1.5 million appropriation.

Mr. Shelby also accused the National Institute of Justice of trying to infiltrate the forensic study panel with lobbyists for private DNA analysis companies, who were seeking to limit the research to DNA studies.

The National Institute of Justice said it would not comment until the report was released. But a preview of potential turf wars played out in the presentations to the National Academy in December 2007. A forensic expert from the Secret Service blasted the F.B.I. for developing questionable techniques “on an ad-hoc basis, without proper research.”

He said the Secret Service wanted the National Academy “to send a message to the entire forensic science community that this type of method development is not acceptable practice.”

Everyone interviewed for this article agreed that the report would be a force of change in the forensics field.

One person who has reviewed the draft and who asked not to be identified because of promises to keep the contents confidential said: “I’m sure that every defense attorney in the country is waiting for this report to come out. There are going to be challenges to fingerprints and firearms evidence and the general lack of empirical grounding. It’s going to be big.”

In view of the issues and concerns raised by the study, I think this trial could get very interesting!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back