TV Chimp attacks & gravely injures woman.

Why are we not hearing about the victim's condition at all? Or how Travis's owner is handling things? Has she visited her friend in the hospital? Maybe I missed it but these are the things I'm curious about.

Why are we not hearing about the victim's condition at all? Or how Travis's owner is handling things? Has she visited her friend in the hospital? Maybe I missed it but these are the things I'm curious about.

I was wondering or curious too..

I read within the past couple of days that Charla Nash is critical but stable and that she was transferred to a Cleveland Hospital (where the first face transplant took place) and that her twin brother has filed for custody of both Charla and her 17 year old daughter and that a possible suit may be likely. I haven't read anything more about the chimp's owner.

I read within the past couple of days that Charla Nash is critical but stable and that she was transferred to a Cleveland Hospital (where the first face transplant took place) and that her twin brother has filed for custody of both Charla and her 17 year old daughter and that a possible suit may be likely. I haven't read anything more about the chimp's owner.

Thanks. I hadn't heard about the twin brother filing for custody.

Ya know, I don't shower with too many other people. Let alone a friggin' monkey. What IS the point??

This story has left me speechless and sickened.. and all I can say is,

1) The monkey got the lucky ending here.
2) Lawmakers HAD d*man well BETTER change the laws NOW and enforce them 110%,, and NO GRANDFATHERING...
3) Once again I have to question WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY we humans say we are soooooo compassionate with animals, euthanizing them peacefully when their health and quality of life is gone... and yet we force this poor woman to stay alive in this unspeakable condition...? And for what,, for the sake of medical experimentation...?? What a horrific fate. In a far more enlightened society,, we would let her go to a better place. This is a case where it seems technology is more cruel than kind.

This story has left me speechless and sickened.. and all I can say is,

1) The monkey got the lucky ending here.
2) Lawmakers HAD d*man well BETTER change the laws NOW and enforce them 110%,, and NO GRANDFATHERING...
3) Once again I have to question WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY we humans say we are soooooo compassionate with animals, euthanizing them peacefully when their health and quality of life is gone... and yet we force this poor woman to stay alive in this unspeakable condition...? And for what,, for the sake of medical experimentation...?? What a horrific fate. In a far more enlightened society,, we would let her go to a better place. This is a case where it seems technology is more cruel than kind.

I respectfully disagree. Giving her a new face is totally viable considering all of her other health issues are OK. Giving her prosthetic hands gives her the ability to feed herself and write a letter or blast someone on the internet.We can't give up on humans because their cause is unspeakable to us. Humans are not animals and should be valued first and foremost.

Just because illness or injury has befallen a human being doesn't make them less viable but more viable.

OK, i respect your opinion... but i still don't think it's humane. it's not a matter of a person being more or less 'viable' or worthy... but the amount of pain and suffering they will have to endure. to lose everything like this woman has.. that seems insurmountable to me. i guess people should put things like this in their living wills.

OK, i respect your opinion... but i still don't think it's humane. it's not a matter of a person being more or less 'viable' or worthy... but the amount of pain and suffering they will have to endure. to lose everything like this woman has.. that seems insurmountable to me. i guess people should put things like this in their living wills.

Some people value life and work hard to achieve it. Even if it is really hard and seemingly insurmountable. I got a really good hug from my daughter tonight. I WILL always value that hug and I will always value that she wants to survive. She suffers and she has pain. She has lost so much that regular people have but I can never deny her right to life. Nothing is too much when love is the rule and prayer is the hope.

I think it's up to Charla if she wants to continue with her life. There are cases where I would agree with reb, that's it's cruel to extend someone's life that will live in constant pain or never be able to have any quality of life.

If Charla is conscious enough to show or tell the doctors that she wants to live and undergo anything that they can do to help her, then they should do everything possible. Right now, I don't think they're seeing her as an experiment. They have already done face transplants and as far as I know the patient is doing okay.

Some people value life and work hard to achieve it. Even if it is really hard and seemingly insurmountable. I got a really good hug from my daughter tonight. I WILL always value that hug and I will always value that she wants to survive. She suffers and she has pain. She has lost so much that regular people have but I can never deny her right to life. Nothing is too much when love is the rule and prayer is the hope.
I am so sorry your daughter is sick concernedperson. :blowkiss:

For most people the will to live remains strong no matter what the circumstances.....or treatment they have to go through.
In my opinion we should respect that.

I think it's up to Charla if she wants to continue with her life. There are cases where I would agree with reb, that's it's cruel to extend someone's life that will live in constant pain or never be able to have any quality of life.

If Charla is conscious enough to show or tell the doctors that she wants to live and undergo anything that they can do to help her, then they should do everything possible. Right now, I don't think they're seeing her as an experiment. They have already done face transplants and as far as I know the patient is doing okay.

If she's never capable of deciding, I cannot imagine her family wanting her to go through grueling surgeries to see if she would get better. We don't know how much blood loss there was, her drug induced coma tells me there was a lot! Her brain maybe far too damaged for any recovery.

The importance of all of us to have a living will (and I've had one since my mom died young)... is vital. God help her family.

Pattycake, it is a good idea to have a living will. Most people don't think about it until they get sick. It's something I need to do myself.

concernedperson, a person, like your daughter, who has the will should never be denied treatment. God bless her and you.

This story is so sad, so are all the others like it. Most people would have no clue what they are getting into or I believe most would decide against bringing the animal into their homes in the first place. They see this adorable newborn primate, it reminds them of a human baby in so many ways, it's an orphan (they're told) how can they say no?

Next thing they know, they have a wild animal living with them. It is trained and treated like a little child, but within a very few number of years they have a 200 lb animal who is way stronger then anyone they know growing into a surly teenager. This can't end well for anyone concerned.

Cheko sounds like you had a lot of good times with with your little buddy "Cheko" it must have been like losing a family member. I'm so sorry you couldn't find a suitable new home for him.

People like Michael Jackson and the Kardashian's aren't helping the situation. The make it all look like fun and games.

All we can do now is pray for everyone involved to have the best out come possible.

Been thinking about this a bit...

As horrific as this story is, I hope it might bring people to want to better educate themselves about chimpanzees and apes in general.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/04/chimp.attack.victim/index.html

Charla Nash, 55, lost her nose, upper and lower lips, eyelids and both her hands in the attack, as well as the "bony structures in her mid-face," the Cleveland Clinic said in a written statement.

-----------------------------------------

How sad. It goes on to say potential recovery unknown. Also states that any reconstructive surgery is premature. Frankly I'm glad they have not attempted to do anything yet. I'm hoping (if she's hooked up to machines) that the family will allow her to die. She doesn't have any hands, no eyelids, unknown damage to her eyes, and so on. I realize she has a teen child but I'm hoping the best ending is for her to have peace. I cannot imagine living under these circumstances.

Before this story I had no idea the damage primates could do to humans!!

I'm really surprised she hasnt passed away from not only her massive injuries but from infections as well

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/04/chimp.attack.victim/index.html

Charla Nash, 55, lost her nose, upper and lower lips, eyelids and both her hands in the attack, as well as the "bony structures in her mid-face," the Cleveland Clinic said in a written statement.

-----------------------------------------

How sad. It goes on to say potential recovery unknown. Also states that any reconstructive surgery is premature. Frankly I'm glad they have not attempted to do anything yet. I'm hoping (if she's hooked up to machines) that the family will allow her to die. She doesn't have any hands, no eyelids, unknown damage to her eyes, and so on. I realize she has a teen child but I'm hoping the best ending is for her to have peace. I cannot imagine living under these circumstances.

Thank you for the update PattyCake. I have been wondering how she was doing. I have always believed as long as there was breath in victims of any situation there was hope. I'm not so sure in this case.

I read in the article that she has a significant brain injury in addition to her other extreme injuries. My heart goes out to her and especially her family. Her family may be faced with a decision that none of us would want to make if they have to eventually remove her from life support.

As for the chimp. I do love animals. However, I always respect the fact that they are animals. What I'm trying to say is that in my mind, to love animals is to accept them for what they are by creation, not to assign them human qualities. Yes, I do love my dogs but they are still dogs and expect them to act as dogs. OT but used that to illustrate my point.

I hope that they do change the laws to protect others from chimp attacks.

Primates have long had a reputation for being ticking time-bombs because all too often their intelligence level gives this false sense of security to humans. While they are smart on the level of animal intelligence, their thought processes exist in a survival mode where any little thing that they feel is a danger to them, will set them off. A lot of animals are like that... even your average household pet exists in survival mode.

Most people that own exotic pets usually get that they have a greater responsibility of awareness as an owner, but there are those that get far too comfortable with them, thinking that their exotic pet is not like all of the other ones that have to be handled carefully. That is what this sounds like with this chimp and the lady that owned him... from my understanding, she treated him like a husband. :|

I personally think it is going to take a miracle for the lady attacked, to survive. Bless her poor family (and her) ... :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back