GUILTY CA - Lana Clarkson, 40, fatally shot, Alhambra, 3 Feb 2003

I wonder if the defense is going to Pumpkin Pie this time around??? What a piece to trash....

I just recently defected from the InSession Phil Spector forum. Hopefully more people will be following me over here, including my friend Gary Spector, one of Phil Spector's three sons.

Though I have many questions, opinions, and thoughts, I will begin slowly.

I am curious if any of you have a strong sense of the outcome of the second trial. I believe that based on the evidence there should have been a conviction after trial #1. However, as we all know, it only takes one person with reasonable doubt.

In my opinion, the evidence in the second trial seems even stronger then the first. The defense's posturing and insistance that Lana Clarkson choose to commit suicide in a stranger's home is simply absurd.

My opinion is that this trial will not have the same ill-fate as the first. I believe that soon there will finally be justice for Lana in the form of Phil Spector being found guilty and sent to prison.

Even that may seem too little too late, but it is a far better outcome then the alternative, and will hopefully give Lana's family and loved ones some sense of peace.

The cherry on the cake would be that Spector's faux-wife will find herself saddled with debt, and hocking her expensive shoes and wardrobe just to be able to eat.

I'm looking forward to this discussion!

Julia

Hi Julia - and :Welcome-12-june: to Websleuths!

I too hope he is convicted this time around; I couldn't believe when the 1st jury came back "hung"... :rolleyes:

I watched every single day on the first trial. I just couldn't believe that there was a hung jury. I am so upset that there isn't any coverage on the second trial. I feel like I have read a book half way through and won't be able to finish it.

And welcome Julia. I was a defector also. I didn't like the attitude on the other board. This place is great and so are the posters here.

Don't know if this is the proper place for this, but...........

The jurors are out as of yesterday in Phil Spector's second trial for the murder of Lana Clarkson. (The first trial ended in a hung jury, 10 for conviction 2 to acquit).

This trial is for second degree murder (as was the last one) but last week Judge Fidler added the option of involuntary manslaughter. The defense opposed the addition of this charge.

Unlike the first trial, his trial was not televised. Linda Kenney Baden was one of the attorneys at the first trial - which is when all the comments about her unkempt appearance were generated.

Many of the players in the Casey Anthony trial were also involved in the first Spector trial, including Dr. Henry Lee, who during the trial was found by Judge Fidler to have withheld evidence.

For those of us who followed the trial and also for her family, this has been a long day in coming.

I am hoping for a guilty verdict.

I haven't followed the second trial. Who were the pathalogists this time around? Are any of them on Casey Anthony's team? I thought what the prosecutor said in closing arguements was very true.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-spector26-2009mar26,0,3965481.story

(snip)
The prosecutor, who is to conclude his remarks this morning, said it was the defense expert witnesses who called the shooting consistent with suicide who couldn't be trusted. He ridiculed two defense pathologists and a bloodstain expert as "pay to say" hired guns who betrayed their scientific principles to get big paychecks.

"How does homicide become a suicide? You write a big fat check," Jackson said. He referred to the amount one witness received as a "horse-choking $181,000" and said the defense's $419,000 bill for all its forensic experts was evidence that "if you can't change the science, you buy the scientist."

No verdict yet. Court was dark yesterday and today for a Cali state holiday. The jury will be back at it tomorrow.

Has anyone read, The Elephant in the Crime Lab? I ran across it looking for more information on the forensic experts hired by P.S.
http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/archive/spring09/14/
Expert witnesses get hired to support the premises of the side in litigation that hires them, and expert witnesses get paid for their testimony. Some get paid very well. Dr. Vincent DiMaio, expert witness for the defense in the 2007 Phil Spector murder case in Los Angeles, California, admitted on the witness stand to earning $400 per hour for his services, (People v. Spector, 2007). The expert witness who can't or won't support the premises of the side that retains him is the consulting expert. The consulting expert is paid for review work and an initial, informal report. If the report goes against the client, the expert is put on a back burner. The consulting expert's conclusions are a work product, so they are protected from disclosure to the other side in discovery. The consulting expert can't be retained by the other side. Disagreeable results remain confidential, and the consulting expert stays, for the most part, anonymous.

Doron Weinberg and Susan Matross (defense attorneys) have written an article for the LA Times called "Science and the Spector prosecution." http://tiny.cc/Y6FSy
Let's hope the jurors didn't read the paper yesterday.

Are they deliberating today??
They were until...

Phil Spector juror falls ill

2:28 PM | April 1, 2009
Deliberations in Phil Spector's murder retrial, already proceeding slowly because of two court holidays, were cut short today after a juror became ill.
The male panelist displayed "all the symptoms of the flu," Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler told attorneys at midday after dismissing the jury. The jurors began weighing evidence against the 69-year-old pop producer on Thursday, but did not convene Monday or Tuesday.
Spector is accused of second-degree murder in the 2003 shooting of actress Lana Clarkson at his estate. His defense contends that she committed suicide.
-- Harriet Ryan

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/04/phil-spector.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member