The Woman Who Shut Up Simon Cowell

I must say though, it really strikes me that the judges are so SHOCKED a person who isn't in a "hot package" has that kick-#$$ voice! Ha! The joke's on them, they show their shallowness, going on and on about that aspect of it, instead of just praising her fabulous performance. I love her "that's just one side of me!" about being 47. At least Simon didn't say he was "shocked."

Honestly, I really think we are a shallow society now. Why is it hard to believe that so-called "beautiful people" don't have the market cornered on talent?
We are a shallow society... thanks to the media machine that's been selling sexed-up kids (ala music vids, beauty magz, etc) while portraying average looking people as uneducated foul mouthed hicks (ala talk shows like jerry springer), old people as senile and something to be ridiculed, and plastering the headlines with horrendous stories of the latest child killer, killer child, rapist and/or pedophile. The sad thing is, we really haven't changed much over the years. We've been worshiping youth and beauty for years, while debasing and ridiculing the average joes and the elderly. And as far as crime goes, gruesome sells. Just look at the spectacle that was made of the Caylee Anthony case.

As for Susan Boyle? In a sense, and imho, she represents a great deal that we love about the human spirit. She's got spunk, courage, and just plain old humility. She's not plastic. Just look at the way her face lights up when she's just about to sing that song. When she smiles. Sure, some love her bc she clearly wiped the sneer off those judges' faces. Others do, bc they judged her too. And perhaps some see her and are reminded of Psalm 37:11, "But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace."

I think she is absolutely awesome bc she seems so untainted by the stuff that comes with superficial beauty and short-lived youth. Even so, what really drew me in was the aftermath. After the song. She was so excited and humble. She was so surprised they liked her singing. And... the big AND she was happy. See, as much as I love that song (and the musical, for that matter) my heart soared bc she was clearly happy. That's the part that brings tears to my eyes. Simply bc its so nice to see that kind of genuine joy in a world that seems all too often more negative than positive.

We are a shallow society... thanks to the media machine that's been selling sexed-up kids (ala music vids, beauty magz, etc) while portraying average looking people as uneducated foul mouthed hicks (ala talk shows like jerry springer), old people as senile and something to be ridiculed, and plastering the headlines with horrendous stories of the latest child killer, killer child, rapist and/or pedophile. The sad thing is, we really haven't changed much over the years. We've been worshiping youth and beauty for years, while debasing and ridiculing the average joes and the elderly. And as far as crime goes, gruesome sells. Just look at the spectacle that was made of the Caylee Anthony case.

As for Susan Boyle? In a sense, and imho, she represents a great deal that we love about the human spirit. She's got spunk, courage, and just plain old humility. She's not plastic. Just look at the way her face lights up when she's just about to sing that song. When she smiles. Sure, some love her bc she clearly wiped the sneer off those judges' faces. Others do, bc they judged her too. And perhaps some see her and are reminded of Psalm 37:11, "But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace."

I think she is absolutely awesome bc she seems so untainted by the stuff that comes with superficial beauty and short-lived youth. Even so, what really drew me in was the aftermath. After the song. She was so excited and humble. She was so surprised they liked her singing. And... the big AND she was happy. See, as much as I love that song (and the musical, for that matter) my heart soared bc she was clearly happy. That's the part that brings tears to my eyes. Simply bc its so nice to see that kind of genuine joy in a world that seems all too often more negative than positive.

I agree with your entire post, which is why I'm quoting it in it's entirety! I have to say that I absolutely loved how she so innocently started walking off stage...classic! She didn't even think to go stand in front of the judges. The way her face lit up when they were praising her makes me cry, even though I've watched it now over 500 times! Then to watch her on this morning's show, and to hear her voice without any background music, wow - all I can say is wow! She has a GOD given gift...and it delights me to hear her sing...so angelic...

I hope that one day I will be able to hear Susan sing in person, I can not imagine how powerful her performance was to the people lucky enough to have been there!!!
She has a cat named Petals :) even hearing that touches my heart!
her video on utube now has over 12,000,000 hits!

On the CBS Morning Show, it sounded to me that Patti may be a wee bit jealous. She kept saying how Susan has pluck and didn't really address her talent.

VB

Been busy coding but... thought I would take a peak at the MSM to see where Susan's story is at today...

Susan Boyle: Just Who Is The Singer Susan Boyle?
SFGate: San Francisco Chronicle
Wed April 15, 2009 6:28 PM PST

Full article: click here

Susan Boyle About to Blow Up Internet
— By Party Ben
Wed April 15, 2009 7:02 PM PST

Am thinking she will get her dream: to sing before the Queen.
Thanks for the update. I agree. Even the Queen will be in awe of Susan Boyle, imo. Susan should find all her dreams coming true very soon. I wish Susan all the best life has to offer and there is no doubt her mother is very proud. :)

I only hope she is ready to face such success and be thrown into the world's spotlight from here on out. She just woke up in another world. Simon should help guide and protect her from people wanting a piece of the action.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Somewhere Out There
A dream is coming true.

It's like something in a movie or
favorite book. I am so happy to
have been able to see it. And it
couldn't have happened to a more
deserving person.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

What a statement Susan's appearence has made about our society. Immediately when she walked out on stage people were sneering at her, making faces before she had said a word and even when she did start talking it was obvious she was genuine and sweet and still people were sneering. It is so sad that immediately a person is written off, judged and discarded based on their looks.

What vindication for Susan to have endured all those years of torture and the sneers of those in the audience to open her mouth and blow them away and shut them up. I'm so happy for her.

I saw Patti LaPone as Mama Rose on Broadway and she was just amazing. Too be complimented by her must be a nice honor for Susan.

The Scot Heard Round the World
Unknown and Underestimated, Contestant Wows on TV and Web
By Mary Jordan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, April 16, 2009

She has indeed gone back to Blackburn, her home about 20 miles from Edinburgh in West Lothian, Scotland, where children are now clapping as she walks into stores and television crews from around the world have begun rolling into town.

As details of her life emerge, Boyle's story only becomes more unlikely.

[...]

She always wanted to sing in front of a large audience, but mostly she just sings in church.

[...]

"We let out a wee bit of a cheer for her. We are quite proud of her," Boyle's parish priest, the Rev. Ryszard Holuka, said in a telephone interview.

He added that Boyle is a "quiet soul."

"At gatherings and anniversary parties, she'd stand up and give a song," he said. "She never flaunted her voice; this is the first time it's been publicly recognized."

British singing sensation Susan Boyle sweeps U.S. morning television
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Thursday, April 16th 2009
British reality television sensation Susan Boyle has now made the rounds on the U.S. morning shows – and she's making quite an impression.

She did a telecast with "Good Morning America" host Diane Sawyer, moved "Today" host Kathie Lee Gifford to tears and even scored an invite to the Oprah Winfrey show.

Thank you so much for doing this posting! All I can think is she has been sent from Heaven to enlighten us with all her beauty and positive though innocent demeanor! Yes, there is an Angel among us Louise with a beautiful voice~

I was just blown away by Susan! She was awesome! It meant so much to me to see a regular person, someone nearly 50, just light up the stage. I am 59, and I am having to work on personal development. I have arrived at a place where I'm not satisfied with what I have accomplished in my life. I realize I still have a path to walk before I give up to being old. I have a lot more to accomplish! Susan gives me hope that I can succeed. God bless you Susan, for being an inspiration to those of us out here who truly need that inspiration!

For some reason I cannot get youtube audio to work. Every other audio does except youtube. Damn it...

I heard this woman sing via the brief CNN video. I cannot share enough the sheer beauty of her voice. The power. The total love held that this woman can share within the very essence of this song she chose. Amazing. I wish I could share such emotion within myself as she did.

Damn Youtube......

I can't wait to see her sing every week once the show gets down to the finalists. I wonder how long we will have to wait. I just can't imagine after all of this attention that she will not make it all the way to the top.

What a statement Susan's appearence has made about our society. Immediately when she walked out on stage people were sneering at her, making faces before she had said a word and even when she did start talking it was obvious she was genuine and sweet and still people were sneering. It is so sad that immediately a person is written off, judged and discarded based on their looks.

What vindication for Susan to have endured all those years of torture and the sneers of those in the audience to open her mouth and blow them away and shut them up. I'm so happy for her.

I saw Patti LaPone as Mama Rose on Broadway and she was just amazing. Too be complimented by her must be a nice honor for Susan.

Everyone was sneering at her. I can't believe how rude people have become. I am very happy for this lovely, sweet soul and hope she wins it all.

She was fantastic! Just an amazing performance of such a beautiful song and what a personality! I loved seeing the judges' expressions and especially, Simon's face.

I must say though, it really strikes me that the judges are so SHOCKED a person who isn't in a "hot package" has that kick-#$$ voice! Ha! The joke's on them, they show their shallowness, going on and on about that aspect of it, instead of just praising her fabulous performance. I love her "that's just one side of me!" about being 47. At least Simon didn't say he was "shocked."

Honestly, I really think we are a shallow society now. Why is it hard to believe that so-called "beautiful people" don't have the market cornered on talent? I remember many wonderful singers and performers who came in offbeat "packages," think Barbra Streisand, and many others. Think of all the "hotties" getting exposure who actually have very little talent.

I hope whoever gives Susan her "makeover" (because you know they will do that to her) lets her have her own great look, working with her natural assets, letting her be herself, one cool woman.

Eve

Eve, I think a little of that was "acting." The more surprised and shocked they looked, the better it would be to the audiences. It's like the American Idol try outs--if you watch long and carefully enough, you can pick up signs that they know who is truly terrible and who has some talent.

Mr. Texana and I have talked about this issue ad nauseum--that back in the day (pick any day) a musician was judged on talent alone. Now they have to look good as well as have talent, and the overall quality of performance has gone down.

I would love for Susan Boyle to be the start of turning back that trend.

There is a british movie that is called "little voice" and it kind of reminds me of this story. It is a really moving movie about a voice that comes out of a seemingly unlikely place. I loved this woman's voice and I loved her innocence and I loved the HUGE smile on Simon's face. Total upper.

Here's the full video. I implore you to watch the whole thing...Susan is so refreshingly wonderful! She receives a standing ovation before she even makes it to the 1st chorus...incredible! Take a look at Simon's eyes when he rests his face in his hands. To me, he actually looks like a kid in a candy shop and wants to cry out of excitement. To me, this helps to humanize Simon. He looks so cute when he puts his face in his hands, very sweet and innocent. Simply amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY&feature=related

I totally agree. I like seeing his face almost as much as I love hearing Susan Boyle sing.

If you really look at Simon over time, you see two things: He truly loves finding great talent and he also hates pretension, big egos, and atttitude. If you have a humble heart, he is always gentle. If you have a humble attitude, are willing to work hard and better yourself and you have talent, he is more than kind.

I truly believe that Simon will take her under his wing realizing that she is a very shy, gentle soul. I do not think he is so mean hearted he would throw her to the wolves. You can tell from her interviews she is very unassuming and shy. God Bless you Susan Boyle may all your dreams come true.

I have listened to this over and over again. What a powerful and moving voice she has!

snipped from an article:
Susan is now through to the next round of the talent show, were she will be singing Whistle Down the Wind.
http://tinyurl.com/c3rl9d

Do a search for this song at youtube, and hear a version of it. I can't wait to hear her again.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back