CA - Lily Burk, 17, Los Angeles, 24 July 2009

Parolee Charged With Murdering 17-Year-Old Girl
Jul 28, 2009 5:56 pm US/Pacific
<snipped>
Samuel remained jailed Monday and on Tuesday was charged with capital murder. He was also ordered to remain jailed without bail.

The district attorney's office says the 50-year-old also faces one charge each of kidnapping to commit robbery, robbery and attempted ATM robbery.

Prosecutors will make a decision about whether to seek the death penalty when the case moves closer to trial.

His arraignment is scheduled for Aug. 20.

About two hours after Burk was kidnapped, Samuel got out of the Volvo and left it in a downtown parking lot, with Burk's body in the passenger seat, Diaz said.

Burk suffered head injuries, apparently from striking the passenger side of the windshield, and there were signs of a struggle, according to police.

VIDEO: Family, Friends Hold Vigil For Slain Teen
http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=109963@kcbs.dayport.com

Article:
http://cbs2.com/local/Body.Downtown.Homicide.2.1103873.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Parolee charged with murdering 17-year-old girl
Posted: 07/28/2009 05:45:52 PM PDT
<snipped>
parolee has been charged with capital murder in the killing of 17-year-old girl whose body was found in a downtown Los Angeles parking lot.
Charlie Samuel appeared in Superior Court Tuesday and was ordered to remain jailed without bail.

The district attorney's office says the 50-year-old also faces one charge each of kidnapping to commit robbery, robbery and attempted ATM robbery.

Prosecutors will make a decision about whether to seek the death penalty when the case moves closer to trial.

His arraignment is scheduled for Aug. 20.

Article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_12932886?nclick_check=1
Transient is charged with murder in Lily Burk's death
A judge postpones the man's arraignment at the request of his court-appointed attorney. The suspect, 50, also is charged with kidnapping and robbery in the 17-year-old's slaying.
July 29, 2009
<snipped>
A hulking, handcuffed Charles Samuel, 50, was led into Los Angeles County Superior Court on Tuesday afternoon.

Bald and dressed in jail-issued, light-blue clothing, Samuel sat in the prisoner dock with his back to the courtroom and his shoulders slumped.

Samuel spoke only once, uttering a soft "yes" when Judge Henry J. Hall asked him if he agreed with his court-appointed attorney's request to postpone his arraignment.

In the afternoon, she made two odd calls to her parents asking how to use a credit card to withdraw cash at an ATM. About 7 p.m., they contacted police to report her missing.

Later that night, police tracked Burk's cellphone and ATM activity to the skid row and Little Tokyo areas, but a search into the early hours of Saturday morning turned up nothing.

At dawn, however, Burk's lifeless body was discovered in the passenger seat of her Volvo in a downtown parking lot. Her head had been beaten and her neck slashed.

Police said they have collected footage from surveillance cameras showing Samuel driving away from the area of the law school in Burk's car with her in the passenger seat, with Burk at a downtown ATM machine and then abandoning the car late Friday afternoon in the parking lot where Burk's body was found.

Fingerprints lifted from the inside of the car have been matched to Samuel, who reportedly made incriminating statements to detectives after his arrest. They believe that Burk was killed within about 45 minutes of her last call to her parents and hours before she was reported missing.

His arraignment, when he would be expected to enter a plea, was put off for three weeks.

A decision whether to seek the death penalty against him will be made on a date closer to the opening of his trial, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

Article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lily-burk29-2009jul29,0,909475.story
Man accused of killing Lily Burk in court
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
<snipped>
When Samuel made his first appearance in court, he hid his face behind the public defender. Samuel allegedly kidnapped 17-year-old Lily Burk last Friday. Hours later her body was found brutally beaten.

The District Attorney's office released the following statement:
"Although filed as a capital case, the District Attorney's office will not make a decision on whether to seek the death penalty until the case moves closer to trial. If the prosecution opts not to seek the death penalty, the only other possible penalty for Samuel, if he is convicted as charged, is life in prison without the possibility of parole."

Experts say parents should work out a way for their kids to secretly relay a message to them if they are ever in trouble.

"Have a password, a key word that kids and parents know, a word that they would only use in an emergency situation," said Robin Sax, a legal expert.

Robin Sax is a former District Attorney. She says parents can also set up code messages on cell phones.
"The one nice thing with the handy Blackberries these days is that you can program your phones with messages," said Sax. "And I think, say, a sentence in advance with 'I'm in danger, call 911' ... so with the stroke of one key, a kid could press that one button and ... know that help is on the way," said Sax.

VIDEO: Man accused of killing Lily Burk in court
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=6937570

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=6937589
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pondering a brutal killing as the risk of violence rises
Lily Burk's senseless death occurs as California is cutting funding to programs that help transients, the disabled and the mentally ill, and thousands of prison inmates could potentially be released.
July 29, 2009
<snipped>
In East L.A., in the Palisades, in Watts, in Pasadena and Long Beach, if you're a parent, you tell yourself a lie.

You tell yourself that your child is safe.

But then there's a horrible story in your own neighborhood, and it punches holes in your shield. There's the child cut down by stray bullets while walking home from school or the store. There's the careening truck that takes out a bookstore and kills a toddler and her father.

Or there's the story of Lily Burk, 17, the Los Feliz girl killed Friday while running an errand for her mother.

Reading that story, I ached for the victim and wondered how her parents could breathe under such crushing news. I also did something a little selfish but human. I looked at the details to see if perhaps Burk was doing anything she shouldn't have been doing, or if she was in a place where she shouldn't have been. I wanted something, anything, that might reinforce the illusion that we can steer our children clear of danger.

In other words, as we cast about in the aftermath of a senseless killing for ways to make us feel safer, we're instead raising the level of risk.

"We're talking about . . . budgetary considerations that cut from programs in the immediate but wind up costing society so much more in the long run," said Assembly Speaker Karen Bass, just back in L.A. after working to close a $26-billion budget gap.

"When you're releasing people without the support system and then banning people with convictions from working, you're setting up a situation where you perpetuate crime. Cutting drug and alcohol programs and cutting Cal-Works is going to leave women and children on skid row, and it's going to increase the number of children in foster care. It's short-sighted
budgeting."

Article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lopez29-2009jul29,0,3168641.column

:angel:

Can't find it on the Internet at all. You have to CALL the CA Dept of Corrections to request inmate information. That is just unforgivable IMO. CA is one of the largest states in the US!!! This information should be available online FGS! Since they're bankrupt, I don't suppose this will change anytime soon......:rolleyes:
I thought he'd be held in the LA County Jail which is operated by the LA County Sheriff's Dept. :confused: They do have an online site for inmate information. Just follow the links from the home page. :)

http://www.lasd.org/

Teen Targeted: What Lily Can Teach You
Child Safety Expert Gives Tips on How to Keep Safe from Predators, After 17-Year-Old Lily Burk Killed in L.A.
July 29, 2009
<snipped>
CBS News correspondent Sandra Hughes reported on "The Early Show" Wednesday that 17-year-old Lily Burk, an only child, was running errands for her mother Saturday. When Burk stopped to pick up exams at Southwestern Law School near downtown Los Angeles, where her mother works, the unthinkable happened.

As Burk returned to her car, says the Los Angeles Police Department, Charlie Samuel approached and abducted her.

The LAPD says it has surveillance video showing Samuel behind the wheel of Burk's black Volvo, driving away from the school.

Is there anything you can do to protect yourself or your children when you or they are in similar circumstances?
go.

VIDEO: CBS Early Show~Teenager Abducted, Slain 4:58
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5195376n&tag=cbsnewsVideoArea.0

Article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/29/earlyshow/main5195585.shtml

Teen Targeted: What Lily Can Teach You
Child Safety Expert Gives Tips on How to Keep Safe from Predators, After 17-Year-Old Lily Burk Killed in L.A.
July 29, 2009
<snipped>
CBS News correspondent Sandra Hughes reported on "The Early Show" Wednesday that 17-year-old Lily Burk, an only child, was running errands for her mother Saturday. When Burk stopped to pick up exams at Southwestern Law School near downtown Los Angeles, where her mother works, the unthinkable happened.

As Burk returned to her car, says the Los Angeles Police Department, Charlie Samuel approached and abducted her.

VIDEO: CBS Early Show~Teenager Abducted, Slain 4:58
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5195376n&tag=cbsnewsVideoArea.0

Article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/29/earlyshow/main5195585.shtml

This information is very important, and I'm not going to wait a minute to inform my children. Having a code word set up ahead of time, in case they are in any type of danger, would alert me or my husband that something was very wrong, and that time is of the essence!

This information is very important, and I'm not going to wait a minute to inform my children. Having a code word set up ahead of time, in case they are in any type of danger, would alert me or my husband that something was very wrong, and that time is of the essence!
Just wondering if anything's been said, maybe to give us a clue why she said she was going to buy shoes and needed the PIN # for the ATM? Just thinking that maybe she was trying to give her parents a clue. :( MOO

I went by the crime scene tonight and there's many more flowers and candles there.

For the killer to have been in an out of prison like that all those decades, sounds like he was institutionalized. Maybe he grew to like prison better than life on the outside. Poor Lily was the victim that would get him his goal of life in prison.
He obviously didn't care one way or another, didn't even bother to wash the blood off his shirt. disgusting!

This man deserves to die. He did not have to kill that girl.

So senseless.

For the killer to have been in an out of prison like that all those decades, sounds like he was institutionalized. Maybe he grew to like prison better than life on the outside. Poor Lily was the victim that would get him his goal of life in prison.
He obviously didn't care one way or another, didn't even bother to wash the blood off his shirt. disgusting!
I thought there was a "three strikes" law out there?? :waitasec: MOO

Losing Lily Burk
Outrage After a Popular Teen Gets Carjacked and Slain
Published on July 29, 2009 at 1:26pm
<snipped>
Sara Barrett, who&#8217;d never met Burk, organized the July 27 memorial for her at the location from which she was abducted. Barrett can&#8217;t shake the fact that on the terrible day the teenager was killed, she had planned to arrive at the school at about the same time as Burk, to pick up her student financial aid check. But she got a call from the school telling her the check wasn&#8217;t ready. &#8220;I was complaining to them, why they didn&#8217;t have my check.&#8221; Barrett never went.

Barrett regularly parks on the street outside, because, she says, &#8220;I couldn&#8217;t afford a parking pass. ... I always thought broad daylight was when I was safe.&#8221;

What police do know, based on video footage taken from a building in Little Tokyo downtown, is that at 3:35 p.m., about 30 minutes after her abduction from the school, Burk walked with Samuel up to a Union Bank on Second and San Pedro streets, where Burk tried, but failed, to extract money from an ATM using a credit card.

Deeply troubling to police and many others is the fact that the video &#8212; taken from a building near the bank &#8212; shows people walking past Burk and Samuel, and even shows a customer using the ATM as both walk away &#8212; yet Burk does not call out to them for help.

&#8220;Apparently nobody suspected anything,&#8221; says homicide Detective Al Marengo. Samuel did not appear to be dirty or homeless, Marengo says. In fact, from the video, &#8220;I can see [that] no one paid them any attention. ... You would have thought it was [just] two people walking up to the ATM.&#8221;

Article:
http://www.laweekly.com/2009-07-30/news/losing-lily-burk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coroner Reports Lily Burk Died from Neck Wound
Thursday, Jul. 30 2009 @ 9:21AM
<snipped>
The Los Angeles County Coroner reports this morning that 17-year-old Lily Burk died from an "incised wound to neck." In other words, her neck was slashed.

Burk, whose father is well-known music writer Greg Burk, also suffered traumatic injuries to her head as previously reported in local papers.

The San Bernardino career criminal was charged on Tuesday with Burk's murder. He is eligible for the death penalty for the daylight attack on the well-liked teenager.

Article:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/crime/coroner-reports-that-lily-burk/
Parolee charged in murder of teenage girl
Story Published: Jul 29, 2009 at 9:23 PM PDT
Story Updated: Jul 30, 2009 at 2:26 AM PDT
<snipped>
The alleged killer of a 17-year-old honor student abducted from a Westlake-area street was briefly in court Tuesday afternoon, but 50-year-old Charlie Samuel didn't enter a plea to charges he killed Lily Burk.

The would-be high school senior went to Southwestern University School of Law to pick up some papers for her lawyer mother on Friday afternoon, and Samuel &#8212; a parole who got out of prison in February &#8212; allegedly forced her into her Volvo in a robbery attempt. She was found dead in the car the next morning in the Skid Row area.

Samuel's arraignment is now set for August 20th.

VIDEO: Parolee Charged In of Calif. Teen 1:12
YouTube - Parolee Charged in Murder of Calif. Teen

Article:
http://www.wavenewspapers.com/news/52034867.html
Homeless Parolee Charged with Murder of Los Feliz Teen
July 30, 2009
<snipped>
Prosecutors said Samuel had a 1987 robbery conviction from San Bernardino County and a 2006 conviction from Van Nuys for petty theft with a prior. He made his first appearance Tuesday afternoon in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom in connection with the killing.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Henry J. Hall ordered Samuel to remain jailed without bail pending arraignment on Aug. 20.

The evidence against Samuel includes video surveillance, forensic evidence and statements, said Deputy District Attorney Truc Do.

The Los Angeles Police Protective League issued a statement saying the case was &#8220;an unfortunate and horribly tragic example of why the LAPPL has vehemently opposed the early release of prisoners and minimizing the seriousness of parole violations as a means of reducing the state budget deficit.

&#8220;This is precisely the type of &#8216;low level&#8217; parolee the state no longer wants to take responsibility for,&#8221; according to the police union.

Article:
http://egpnews.com/?p=11730

Angel who cares, thank you for all of your updates. This is just such a senseless crime, this beautiful young woman did not need to die. It makes me very sad.

With love and prayers to Lily's family.

I thought there was a "three strikes" law out there?? :waitasec: MOO

"A parolee accused of killing 17-year-old Lily Burk last month could have been serving a lengthy prison sentence instead of roaming the streets of Los Angeles but for a clerical error that misstated his criminal record, according to interviews and court documents reviewed by The Times.

Because of the error, authorities did not know that Charles Samuel was eligible to be prosecuted under the state's tough three-strikes law when he was arrested for and convicted of burglary in San Bernardino County in 1997."
(bolding mine)
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-burk4-2009aug04,0,4244742.story

"A parolee accused of killing 17-year-old Lily Burk last month could have been serving a lengthy prison sentence instead of roaming the streets of Los Angeles but for a clerical error that misstated his criminal record, according to interviews and court documents reviewed by The Times.

Because of the error, authorities did not know that Charles Samuel was eligible to be prosecuted under the state's tough three-strikes law when he was arrested for and convicted of burglary in San Bernardino County in 1997."
(bolding mine)

Well, that's just lovely. Murdered by way of a clerical error. I hope they feel Lily's blood on their hands. What a friggin waste! Does the 3 strikes law apply to state employees too? :sick::sick::sick:

(bolding mine)

Best believe on lesser offenses that wouldn't be the issue, 3 strikes that is but how is the family going to cope with this now? knowing that he should have been in prison but someones "oopsie" left them daughterless? :(

Lily Burk died of slash to the neck, coroner says
6:41 AM | July 31, 2009
<snipped>
Lily Burk, the 17-year-old student who was abducted and killed last week, died from a slash wound to her neck, an L.A. County coroner&#8217;s official said.

Burk suffered a traumatic injury July 24 in the form of an &#8220;incised wound to her neck,&#8221; said Ed Winter, assistant chief of the L.A. County Coroner&#8217;s Office.

Samuel was arrested several blocks away for possession of a crack pipe and drinking beer in public. On him, Samuel had Burk&#8217;s cellphone and a Volvo key and was wearing bloody clothes, according to authorities. About 7 p.m., Burk's parents contacted police to report her missing. Saturday at dawn, her lifeless body was discovered in the passenger seat of her Volvo.

Article:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/07/lily-burk-died-of-slash-to-the-neck-coroner-says.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'
'Stranger Danger' Talk Grows Up
07/30/2009 9:49 PM
<snipped>
Young children may know not to talk to strangers, but older kids need to know the risks too. College students will head back to campus soon, and after news of an attack on a student outside a Los Angeles law school, the "stranger danger" talk is growing up.

Seventeen-year-old Lily Burk was abducted Friday after delivering papers to her mother, who works at a Los Angeles law school. Her abductor wanted money, so she was able to call home twice to get a personal identification number for credit card, but had no way of letting her parents know she was in trouble. Authorities found her body in her car the next day.

The case has college officials across the country urging parents to discuss safety with their kids. Kevin Grebin, director of campus safety at the University of Sioux Falls, spent more than 20 years with the South Dakota Highway Patrol.

"If your personal safety becomes an issue, fight, scream, kick, punch, gouge, do everything you can to protect yourself," Grebin said.

Grebin also says if someone is trying to get your purse or wallet, give it to them. Throw it in one direction while you run the other way.

"What you have, your possessions are not worth your safety. So we teach from day one, let them have your possessions. If they want your car, let them take it, it's not worth your life," Grebin said.

Grebin says it may be the most important conversation parents can have with their kids, and these measures should be discussed often.

"You want to plan these out. You pray nothing would ever come of it, but those days you can't count on anymore, unfortunately," Grebin said.

VIDEO: 'Stranger Danger' Talk Grows Up
Young children may know not to talk to strangers, but older kids need to know the risks too. College students will head back to campus soon, and after news of an attack on a student outside a Los Angeles law school, the "stranger danger" talk is growing up.
http://www.keloland.com/videoarchive/index.cfm?VideoFile=073009safety

Article:
http://www.keloland.com/News/Education/NewsDetail10211.cfm?Id=87966
Lily And The LA Weekly
Friday, Jul 31
<snipped>
The July 30 issue of LA Weekly has an article about the loss of Lily Burk, the 17-year-old murdered last week in downtown Los Angeles. What the story doesn't mention - and I respect the author's need to maintain journalistic distance in the face of such a horrifying event - is that Lily was once a part of the Weekly community. Her father is Greg Burk, a journalist who worked at the paper for over two decades. As a writer and editor, Burk helped to build and shape the alternative newsweekly; as a friend and mentor - and, on more than one occasion, the lone voice of reason - he helped to foster the community within it.

Greg and his wife, Deb Drooz, used to open their home for staff parties, and that was where many of us at the paper met Lily. Kids were always welcome at the Burk household on these occasions, and Lily was as excellent a hostess to the children as Greg and Deb were to their parents. Lily took the other kids to her room to play, shared her toys and occasionally led them on a rampage through the adult section of the party, screaming and giggling.

The LA Weekly community that attended those parties has mostly disappeared from the building now. After new owners took over the paper a few years ago, the staff was dismantled. But the community, though scattered, still exists. We keep track, we keep in touch, and we're devastated by the news of Lily's death. We have no idea what to do for our old friends, no idea how to fathom their loss. Many of us didn't know Lily very well, but we've learned a lot about her in this last week. We've learned that she was following in her father's footsteps to become a writer, that she got a perfect score on the verbal portion of her SATs and had a gift for writing short stories. We may not have known his little girl well, but we know Greg, and we know that if Lily had become half the writer her dad is, she would have been brilliant. The world has been robbed of not just a dear, sweet spirit but a strong and gifted voice.

Article:
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/our_town/lily_and_the_la_weekly_123218.asp
Police divided over prison plan
Jul 31, 2009
<snipped>
Last week, Governor Schwarzenegger put on hold his plan to reduce the state&#8217;s prison population. Republican leaders had threatened to torpedo the budget deal if he didn&#8217;t. Lawmakers have agreed to consider the plan again in a few weeks. It&#8217;s expected to face stiff opposition, as KPCC&#8217;s Frank Stoltze reports
Download
http://media.scpr.org/audio/features/20090731_features3000.mp3

Frank Stoltze: In Los Angeles, Assistant Police Chief Jim McDonnell denounced the governor&#8217;s proposal to reduce California&#8217;s prison population so the state can save more than a billion dollars a year.

Stoltze: D&#8217;Elia also backs the governor&#8217;s plan to send people convicted of crimes like receiving stolen property and writing bad checks to local jails for a few months instead of prison for years.

Pasadena Police Chief Bernard Melekian says relaxing supervision of low risk parolees is tricky business. He points to last weekend&#8217;s kidnap and murder of 17-year-old Lily Burk by a parolee who&#8217;d apparently never been convicted of a violent crime.

Bernard Melekian: The tragic death of the young woman in Los Angeles clearly points out the need for a threat evaluation matrix that&#8217;s very meaningful.

State of California
prison_overcrowdin_lede.jpg

Article:
http://www.scpr.org/news/2009/07/31/police-divided-over-prison-plan/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads