VA VA - Agnes Banwell, 81, Leesburg, 2 July 1994

dearmont

Reaction score
This case has been on my mind for years and I would like to bring it to WSr's attention in hopes that someone will help me research and find out what happened to Agnes.

Agnes adn her son Richard and his wife, had moved to Purcellville, VA just a week prior to her disappearance. Richard Banwell worked for AT&T and had been transferred to Dranesville, VA from New York. Agnes, 81 yrs old, was last seen walking on Maple Ave near the Loudoun County High School at 8pm. She has never been heard from or found. Agnes has not been listed onthe State of VA missing persons site nor on DOE, or any other site I can find. Richard told LE that he suspects Agnes was trying to return to NY - LE think otherwise and believe foul play involved - never proven. Case has long gone cold and forgotten. My recent attempts to get local LE to open the case have failed.

Any assistance from WSr's will be greatly appreciated!

It has to be hard on the family to not know what happened all this time. You stated that she is not listed on the Missing person's list or the DOE. Isn't that a bit peculiar?

Can I ask why you are interested in this case Dearmont? I wasn't sure who you were hence the non-disclosure of who I am. I am the granddaughter of Agnes. Obviously, this case has been on my mind for many years and I am still hopeful about getting closure down the road. One can only hope! This case haunts my family and I. I am not that up on its activity. Last we were informed was that it was closed. Thanks for any information anyone can provide. We do appreciate it.

bluesurfing13 - glad to have you here. I lived in the area when Agnes vanished and it has always deeply troubled me that more was not done to find her. You may not know that around the same time, a small boy from Leesburg, VA went missing in Kirby WV - Victor Shoemaker - and the press was more focused on that case. I searched many times for Agnes, walking the same path Agnes was reportedly seen that day. Although I had not known Agnes or your family, I think of her often, and I hope someday soon her fate will be known. I had made inquiries also with the local and county LE but was told that the files were in storage and it would take too much time and resources to pull them (blah!). When you have posted enough on the forum, please feel free to PM me - would be happy to discuss this with you.

Sorry it took me so long to post a reply. Thank you for caring and thank you for trying. It has been a long time, but it still feels like yesterday to me. I appreciate you and what you have tried to do. Saying thanks, does not seem to justify my appreciation, but I am at a loss for word.... thank you!!

Sorry it took me so long to post a reply. Thank you for caring and thank you for trying. It has been a long time, but it still feels like yesterday to me. I appreciate you and what you have tried to do. Saying thanks, does not seem to justify my appreciation, but I am at a loss for word.... thank you!!

You are most welcome - I would very much like to see Agnes brought home to you all - feel free to contact me via a PM and perhaps we can re-engergize the Purcellville community and authorities to get out and conduct another search for Agnes.

You need to energize LE, push them to reopen the case if it has been closed, and push for her to be listed on the DoeNetwork or NAMUS.
If anyone could get her vital stats near the time she went missing, I would love to help. Fair warning, I would be looking for a body, not a live person.

Anyone familiar with a case can enter that information into NaMus.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-898857.html

A massive search for a missing 81-year-old Loudoun County woman began early yesterday and continued through the evening, officials at the county sheriff's department said.
Agnes Banwell was last seen about 8 p.m. Saturday on Route 722 near Loudoun Valley High School.
More than 100 people from the sheriff's department, the state police and local fire and rescue squads began looking for her when she did not return home.
Officials said Banwell, ...

'have to pay for rest of article'

I emailed Loudoun Cty Sheriff's office. I just asked if they could get more information about Agnes Banwell. I also asked if they could enter her information into the Doe Network.
I will post if they answer.

NAMUS says that only authorized coroners or ME's, or an official agent acting on their behalf my enter info into the system.
https://identifyus.org/home/faq

So, I would definitely hound LE to get things moving again.

Good news. I got a phone call this morning from a Loudoun Cty Sheriff detective.
He was helpful.
Agnes Banwell's case is considered 'inactive.'
They would be willing to reopen with new info.
He did confirm what we have read in news article.
He asked about WS.
I explained that I volunteer my time online.
I explained what WS did.
He did tell me that Agnes' information is in NCIC.
He asked that I email him WS website.
He said that he would talk with those up the chain of command.
So, at this time, information is pending.

Note:
I enter cases into NaMus that I am familiar with. I
think I have completed ten so far.

Has your case been entered into NAMUS?? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Has your case been entered into NAMUS?? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Has your case been entered into NAMUS??
****Fellow Sleuthers****

NAMUS/IdentifyUS is looking for platforms to educate families, law enforcement and medical examiners on the centralized databases established for missing persons and UID's. Please provide the following link for your contacts regardless of whether or not the case is cold:
https://www.findthemissing.org/

"This site provides an opportunity for families, law enforcement agencies and investigators to search nationwide for missing persons using a variety of powerful search features. Anyone may search the database, but by registering in the system both law enforcement professionals and the general public will also be able to:
  • Add new missing persons cases
  • Add physical and circumstantial details, photographs, dental contacts and other critical pieces of information to a case
  • Create and print missing persons posters
  • Track multiple cases as information is added to the system
With your help, we can increase the number of missing persons cases solved each year providing closure for families and law enforcement officials nationwide."

In order to maintain the integrity of the data entered, NAMUS wants to limit the people entering the information to those who have the most accurate resources-please encourage your contacts to make sure their cases are entered.

bolded by me.

If you need a local contact to work with the Loudoun County Sheriffs Office let me know via a PM

I havent been able to be in the computer recently except to do schoolwork. Thank you all so much for trying to pursue what really happened to my grandmother. It was a horrible time for all of us and we still miss her daily. I do understand that we would be looking for a body and not my grandmother alive. I would just love closure to a case that haunts me and my family on a daily basis. Thank you all for your efforts. It means alot!

I havent been able to be in the computer recently except to do schoolwork. Thank you all so much for trying to pursue what really happened to my grandmother. It was a horrible time for all of us and we still miss her daily. I do understand that we would be looking for a body and not my grandmother alive. I would just love closure to a case that haunts me and my family on a daily basis. Thank you all for your efforts. It means alot!

Have you called the Loudon County Sheriff's office?
They are very helpful.

Hi Bluesurfing ,

if you have a photo of your grandma, you can ask Meaghan Goode to put her case on Charley Project.

Regards from Germany

Mischa

Thank you all for your help and guidance. Without people like you, the missing would just be that "missing". Thank you for keeping their memory alive and for assisting in never forgettng.

I just thought how terrible it would be not know what happened to my grandmas. (One of them was also named Agnes.) I still miss them, but I have graves to visit. Try to get your Grandma listed on doentwork and Charleyproject.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the disappearance of my beautiful grandmother. Although there is little hope that we will be able to put her to rest properly, I do find some peace that there are groups like this that do help find the missing and give hope and guidance to those who are lost in the saddness. With this, my grandmother, Agnes Banwell lives on, in spirit and in our hearts. Thank you all. Have a wonderful 4th of July.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back