Roman Polanski seeks dismissal of charges

Where was this girls parents when this happened? were they there at all? if not what the heck was she doing at Jack Nicolsons house?

I can't believe it's finally happened, either. I understand the comment about the HBO special in that it really humanized him. I think they commented that he had some sort of arrested development (not sure how it was put) due to his experience in the concentration camps. It's hard not to have sympathy for someone in that experience. Still, pretty much anyone who has committed a crime like this has some sort of sad story to tell, but that does not absolve them of their guilt.

I think the woman (then girl) who was raped has come out in recent years and said she didn't want them to proceed with any of this anymore.

Her mother left her there for a photo shoot or audition. I think the mother had a bit of a questionable character, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong.

Her mother left her there for a photo shoot or audition. I think the mother had a bit of a questionable character, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong.

I sort of remember what you're saying about the mother, but less anyone judge past standards by today's standards, thirty years ago a parent could leave a child off like this w/o anyone questioning it.

If the judge was a media *advertiser censored*, the woman wants charges dropped, the prosecutor filed a complaint against the judge, and he may not have gotten a fair trail, what are the chances he will be convicted? IMO very small.

He already plead guilty, he has yet to be sentenced (that was suppose to be after the 90 day eval, the deal was he would be released, but the judge backed out of that deal) and now he has an escaping from detainment issue. It will be interesting to see how it plays out but it seems like a huge waste of money while all the local governments claim they are broke. And now we are going to pay to bring this guy back, tie up the court system, and pay to house him. Makes no sense to me personally.

I sort of remember what you're saying about the mother, but less anyone judge past standards by today's standards, thirty years ago a parent could leave a child off like this w/o anyone questioning it.

Maybe. I'm not that much younger (30 years ago I was 10) and my mother would never have let me do that.

But using your "back in time" logic, I wonder how many 13yo models in Hollywood were using drugs and having consensual sex with a casting agent, director, or other big shot hoping to become famous? How many of those men thought it was okay? How many of those girls thought it was okay? Would a non-famous defendant have been prosecuted at all? Not to justify his actions, but I just came from the Mackenzie Phillips thread where she keeps talking about how different the times were.:crazy:

Also, he did plead guilty when he made a plea bargain, but the judge did not live up to the agreement. Doesn't that invalidate the whole deal? He only plead to illegal sex, not to the drug allegations or the rape. His version was that it was consensual and illegal due to her age.

Can you imagine a jury finding him guilty, even today, when there is no evidence but her word? I mean, think about that case where there was video and a CA jury still acquitted! Think of OJ and Robert Blake and all those other stories. Do you think a jury would have put Roman Polanski in prison for this? I think the prosecutor plead out b/c he knew it was the best he could get, especially with an uncooperative victim who wanted it OVER.

If the victim and the prosecutor agree that it should be over, then maybe someone should take that into consideration.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS but yes she did.She was a known "party girl" & wanna be actress who socialized with RP.The Mother was very pushy with the Daughters aspiring career & there were rumors of her putting the daughter into questionable situations prior(i.e taking her to nightclubs/parties in Hollywood.)The victim herself had dabbled in drugs & alcohol PRIOR to that day & had an older bf.It was Hollywood in the 70s.The photo shoot was for a French magazine & was to be the girl in lingerie/sexually suggestive posing which was "hip" at the time ,in France,to have very young girls posing as adult women:sick:.
DO NOT GET ME WRONG! RP is guilty..........he was the adult,she was a child-period.Even if she said "yes" it was/is ILLEGAL **HOWEVER** you must consider the environment & the situation this all happened in.
On top of it you then have Judicial misconduct............

This is already a topic with multiple replies under Crimes in the News. Moderator please merge the topics.
This is why I avoid starting threads. However, his arrest should probably remain in the thread title. Oops, it is an older thread sorry. I think I read your post time stamped at 8:22 am and my thread was started at 8:25 am.

Hopefully, the mod will merge the threads.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS but yes she did.She was a known "party girl" & wanna be actress who socialized with RP.The Mother was very pushy with the Daughters aspiring career & there were rumors of her putting the daughter into questionable situations prior(i.e taking her to nightclubs/parties in Hollywood.)The victim herself had dabbled in drugs & alcohol PRIOR to that day & had an older bf.It was Hollywood in the 70s.The photo shoot was for a French magazine & was to be the girl in lingerie/sexually suggestive posing which was "hip" at the time ,in France,to have very young girls posing as adult women:sick:.
DO NOT GET ME WRONG! RP is guilty..........he was the adult,she was a child-period.Even if she said "yes" it was/is ILLEGAL **HOWEVER** you must consider the environment & the situation this all happened in.

I wonder what happened to the pics from that shoot? If I were the defense attorney, they'd be exhibit A.

The girl/woman wants charges dropped. RP is old. What would be the POINT of pursuing this - some form of questionable justice? I don't see it. Our money would be better spent going after today's criminals who are still hurting people.

For once I agree with the French. This whole thing is a farce. What he did was unquestionably wrong, but the victim has moved on and they settled the matter, apparently.

RP has had, as a whole, a really crappy life. He's an old man, and this has gone on far too long. I think there was some impropriety in the case.

It's a tough one. It's hard to say "He had sex with a 13 year-old, let him go." But there just seems to be a lot to this one.

I wonder what happened to the pics from that shoot? If I were the defense attorney, they'd be exhibit A.
They exist & some of the tamer ones are shown in the documentary.
The lawyers had a HUGE defense mounted & the pics were part of it as was,unfortunately & wrongly(imo),the victim's "past history" & that of her Mother .I got the feeling Mom wouldve happily taken an out of court settlement kwim? I get a real "Jordy Chandler family"(MJ trial follwers know what Im saying) vibe from her.RP however REFUSED to settle because he really felt he did nothing wrong.
I think this whole thing(mostly thanks to the Judge)blew up bigger than anybody expected!!!!!!!!

I'm a bit shocked by this, why did the Swiss agree to arrest him? After all this time. How long has he resided there? Seems odd. Why were they willing to take him into custody at this point in time? What's he been up to over there? LOL.

I'm not going to place any blame with the girl or her Mother. It doesn't matter what the circumstances were- at best, at the least- he had sex with an underage girl. Who was not old enough to give her consent. He admitted to that. I don't understand though how they could persue a rape charge after all this time though?

What I don't understand is why Polanski didn't try to resolve this years ago. Did he just ignore it?

I don't see him doing any time, this can all be worked out more than likely. I do think it is a reflection on Polanski's character at the time. To cut and run and stay gone.

I haven't thought about this case for years and years.

What I don't understand is why Polanski didn't try to resolve this years ago. Did he just ignore it?

I don't see him doing any time, this can all be worked out more than likely. I do think it is a reflection on Polanski's character at the time. To cut and run and stay gone.

I think he left after he made a plea deal for no time, and then the judge turned around and sent him to jail under the guise of doing a psych eval for 90 days. When he was released after 42 days the judge was still telling people he was going to send him to jail "for 100 years."

Regardless of the case or its merits, the judge sounds like a real piece of work.

For once I agree with the French. This whole thing is a farce. What he did was unquestionably wrong, but the victim has moved on and they settled the matter, apparently.

RP has had, as a whole, a really crappy life. He's an old man, and this has gone on far too long. I think there was some impropriety in the case.

It's a tough one. It's hard to say "He had sex with a 13 year-old, let him go." But there just seems to be a lot to this one.

Agreed. The victim has been compensated and wants charges dismissed, so why is the US court system doing this? Don't they have real criminals to go after?

I'm a bit shocked by this, why did the Swiss agree to arrest him? After all this time. How long has he resided there? Seems odd. Why were they willing to take him into custody at this point in time? What's he been up to over there? LOL.

I'm not going to place any blame with the girl or her Mother. It doesn't matter what the circumstances were- at best, at the least- he had sex with an underage girl. Who was not old enough to give her consent. He admitted to that. I don't understand though how they could persue a rape charge after all this time though?

Is there a statute of limitations on flight to avoid prosecution? Fugitive from justice?

Agreed. The victim has been compensated and wants charges dismissed, so why is the US court system doing this? Don't they have real criminals to go after?
Tell me at age 13 was she capable of making a decision of non persecution by a court system? He messed up when he fled. Lock him up is my opinion.

The case will cost taxpayers $$$, and he will get nothing. Just my opinion, of course.

I think you are an ideal jury pick.

It is unfinished business that needs to be finished, in my opinion. Not to be cynical, but it is not hard to imagine that a few dollars might have changed hands between perp and victim in the last 30 years. I am not casting aspersions on her, but she was an ideal person to completely derail any film effort of his that took place between when she was raped and current day. Maybe she never had any kind of restitution-I do think she is entitled to heal any way that works for her.

However, concentration camps or no concentration camps, slaughtered wife or no slaughtered wife, these charges have to play out in the court where they started. again, JMO.

IMO he is a real criminal. He gave a thirteen girl champagne and Quaaludes so that she would be susceptible to his advances. Would you still say he isn't a real criminal if it happened in "today's" world? Any grown man who has oral, vaginal, and anal sex with a thirteen year old girl is sick IMO. I understand that the victim wants the charges dropped now and I even agree that her wishes should be honored. I still think that Roman is a sick criminal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back