Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to say that I am new on this site. I have never heard this lady's name mentioned as being the possible person in the '76 murders. There could be a link to this couple being Canadians. There is a great deal of information on this case on another site. I don't know how to post the site, but if you type in "Unsolved Murders/Missing people Canada", you will come upon a site which has a lot of information about Canadian and American cases. There was an article done in Reader's Digest about this case also, last year. You may find some interesting facts, if you have not checked this site. Hope this helps.

Dumb question: Were Jane's armpits shaven? i know her legs weren't, but haven't seen anything about her armpits.

Dumb question: Were Jane's armpits shaven? i know her legs weren't, but haven't seen anything about her armpits.

i've never seen it mentioned anywhere. & there are no dumb questions, just dumb mistakes ;)

I just want to say that I am new on this site. I have never heard this lady's name mentioned as being the possible person in the '76 murders. There could be a link to this couple being Canadians. There is a great deal of information on this case on another site. I don't know how to post the site, but if you type in "Unsolved Murders/Missing people Canada", you will come upon a site which has a lot of information about Canadian and American cases. There was an article done in Reader's Digest about this case also, last year. You may find some interesting facts, if you have not checked this site. Hope this helps.

every little bit helps, in my opinion--thanks!

i'll have a browse around & will post if i see. i might have already posted that canadian/american one...it sounds familiar. i'll look for the reader's digest article.

Okay, this is a longshot here and it's been awhile since I posted, but I found this profile on Doe Network today: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2322dfqc.html

Sylvie Ouimet. Missing since April 1975 from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She was living with her parents at Laval and was hospitalized at the Albert Prevost Institute in Montreal which is a psychiatric hospital.

Okay, this is a longshot here and it's been awhile since I posted, but I found this profile on Doe Network today: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2322dfqc.html

Sylvie Ouimet. Missing since April 1975 from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She was living with her parents at Laval and was hospitalized at the Albert Prevost Institute in Montreal which is a psychiatric hospital.

hi elliottness--she has already been eliminated, according to this thread (scroll down a bit):

Eliminated poss. matches - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

well, that Canadian site is one I've already posted & there isn't much more there--still, it's worth keeping tabs on it, because you never know what might materialise! the thread was started in May 2008:

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,1913.0.html

i can't find the Reader's Digest article...Capergal, do you have a link? I tried looking on the website, but came up nil.

Tara, I think Christopher King is worth submitting. Looks like a good match to me.

I also still like Dermot Faulkner Kelly, a runaway? in 1972, 4 years before the murders. I submitted him to LE in Iowa, and now I'm hoping he's not our UID because I was told Dermot's living relative has refused dna testing in the past. They are currently working on locating that relative.

I think the first drawing out on our UID here depicts a younger person, and looks a lot like 'Dermot to me. I find similarities between Dermot and the Greek looking sketch as well, plus the post autopsy photo. Someone mentioned the ears don't match, but then whoever did the work of putting the faces back on the victims after the autopsies were done did, well, not a very good job of lining features correctly; example--one eyebrow is lower than the other, one eye is stretched out more than the other. Also, I note that the official police sketch shows the UID with larger lobes. They approved the sketch, so....

Dermot's nose looks exactly like the UID's nose.

Kelly and King to me both resemble the UID enough to pursue a potential match. I've done what I can with getting the ball rolling on Dermot, and I hope you will start the ball rolling on C. King.

This probably won't mean jack squat, but I noticed your potential match from IA. As I was looking through IA's cold cases today, I noticed a young couple who were shot and left by the side of the road on October 23, 1976. They were shot with a 45- two people went to trial for it, but were aquitted after their attorney provided a receipt for the gun being purchased by a Lucy Evans- who was a truck driver that lived in Kansas City. So like I said, this probably has nothing to do with it, but I figured I would throw it out there.

Here's the Link
http://www.iowacoldcases.com/laubenthal_henkins.html

Sorry. My mistake. I thought the name sounded familiar, but there have been so many names mentioned it's hard to remember them all.

no worries...there is so much info on here that it's easy to forget or confuse names, etc...I'm always having to check & re-check :)

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+family+help+solve+murder+mystery/1812651/story.html
"Edmonton police have sent familial DNA from a missing city couple to South Carolina to check for a possible match with an unidentified couple found murdered there.

Police are trying to determine whether the remains found off a dirt road in Sumter County, S.C., could be Ron and Terry Yakimchuk who vanished during a cross-Canada drive to attend a wedding in Montreal in 1973, said Const. Jim Gurney."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Theories+abound+1973+case+missing+couple/1785732/story.html
"Others have contacted The Journal to suggest the Yakimchuks may be the unidentified couple found murdered alongside a secluded dirt road in South Carolina in the 1970s. The victims were each shot twice in the back with a large-calibre handgun and then rolled over and shot once more at point-blank range under the chin. They had no possessions--no wallets or identification--and were buried in a local cemetery in graves marked "Male--Unknown" and "Female--Unknown."

Sumter County police estimated the victims were between 18 and

26. Terry, a former Edmonton Journal reporter, was 23 when she disappeared. Ron, former editor of a rogue University of Alberta student newspaper, was 27.

The female South Carolina victim was an estimated five-foot-six and

105 pounds, with brown hair and blue-green eyes. Terry was five-foot-four, 120 pounds with blond hair and blue-green eyes.

The male victim was estimated at six feet tall, 150 pounds with brown eyes and brown hair. Ron was six feet tall, 150 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.

Years after the bodies were found, a Canadian connection was revealed. A man whose wife worked at a nearby campground said he played pool there with a camper he thought was one of the victims. He told the sheriff that the man said he was formerly a teacher from Canada. Ron Yakimchuk was a teacher.

One problem with the theory is the timeline. The Sumter County couple was believed slain on Aug. 9, 1976, more than three years after the Yakimchuks disappeared."

With regard to Elizabeth, apart from her not particularly resembling the UID in my opinion, her destination was Gloucester. In 1974. That is shorthand for one thing.

Dollars to doughnuts she got to Gloucester, found lodging with a coupled named the Wests and was promptly killed.

With regard to Elizabeth, apart from her not particularly resembling the UID in my opinion, her destination was Gloucester. In 1974. That is shorthand for one thing.

Dollars to doughnuts she got to Gloucester, found lodging with a coupled named the Wests and was promptly killed.

I had the same thought because a woman who manage to eventually escape from the evil Wests first met them in the early 70s when they offered her a ride somewhere in Gloucester.

& no, I don't think she resembles JD either, though I have to say, I seriously suspect that Jock & Jane were not Americans & I have been searching as many global missing persons sites as I can find, as well as sites from the US. I could be wrong...it's just a gut feeling & after having read what not_my_kids Interpol contact said, I think that it's even more plausible.

Wow. The 2 pix of the woman from TX look completely different to me. Are they both of the same woman? Which one do you think resembles the UID?

I wonder if this couple's identities will ever be discovered? I agree with not_my_kids that these two were most likely involved in some kind of illegal activity and were killed for something having to with it. What else would a possible motive be for the murder of this young couple, especially considering the lack of sexual assault on the female? Either they were involved themselves in some kind of illegal activity, or, less likely, they were a witness to some, or, even less likely, they were the victim of some as of yet unknown serial killer. I still think them being involved in some illegal activity is the most likely explanation.

That said, what are the possibilties re: what kind of activity? Considering the time period, location in which they were murdered, and the manner of the murder, signs point to drug involvement of some kind.

I find it hard to believe that despite whatever these two had gotten themselves into, neither had any family or close friends that came looking for them. That is the part that I just don't understand. It could be that one of them had no family/all family members were deceased or he/she was a long ago runaway etc., and the other had family that had disowned him/her. With all of these unidentified cases, however, I just find it so sad that these people have no one looking out for them, no one at all. It's a kind of life I can't imagine living, and it's difficult to believe there are people out there living lives so much under the radar that they could disappear or be killed and no one would come looking for them.

Very, very sad. I think this couple consisted of two adventurous, free-spirited souls who got in over their heads in trying to make a little extra money. Ultimately, it cost them their lives. I have no idea where they could have been from, but Canada seems like a good possibility. I think we can rule out them being from the area in which they were killed, or anywhere in the southeastern half of the United States, for that matter.

Sorry, haven't read all of the back threads on this case but want to give my two cents, for whatever its worth.

I've seen this case out on the web and wanted to know if we had a forum on it. I don't think this is an American couple. When I look at this couple (their faces, the way he wears his shoes, which appear expensive to me and worn in a way that is not really American at the time, his jewelry - that's a 14k signed star sapphire ring, gold Bulova watch - EXPENSIVE and chic stuff this guy is wearing - and btw, why can't they trace the bulova? They HAVE the serial #) and at the circumstances of the crime - which really seems like an execution to me, and at the fact that this couple appears to be foreign born - and very possibly from somewhere like Saudi Arabia, this case really screams "honor killing" to me. The girl could even be House of Saad. They do have DNA and since House of Saad (sp?) marries other family members only, it could be easily checked via dna. The 70's were a big time for honor killings in Saudi Arabia (two girls - just that we know of - in the King's own family (his brother's girls) died in that manner during that time) and the girl in the photo on this case looks like some of the princesses from the Saad line. The girl's very westernized clothing (especially during that time period), and possibly her relationship with the young man (who perhaps was not the man her parents had chose for her, or was seen as too promiscuous) could have spelled disaster for them both. An honor killing would explain why the families did not file a missing persons report.

Even if they aren't Saudi Arabian, the dental work should prove informative for investigators if they talk to someone who knows about international dentistry and show him or her the dental films from these two young folks. It should help them to narrow down a country. Also, the dna might yield some type of consistency or typical mutations of citizens from some country (for that matter, they could test the bones for info as to country of origin, which would, I understand, require exhumation. Anyway, just my thoughts on this case.

They could also be Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian...

On the other hand, they could be Bolivian or Columbian and involved with a drug cartel. Regardless, I think they're foreign to the US and the dna (and perhaps bone studies) could prove very helpful just in establishing just where it is that they hale from.

p.s. given the good chance that they are foreign, I think local LE could get some national help with this testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh