FL - Mom tweets while son drowns

I think you would care about reporters if they were in your yard, maybe even shooting camera footage into your house, calling you, yelling questions at you every time you go outside to feed a pet or take out the trash.

Personally I might get the paintball gun out and start practicing, but her ammunition is her blog.

On a normal day? Yes. Prefaced by the loss of a child? Least of my concerns. Couldn't care less. You would have to scrape me off of the floor.

I'm not going to weigh in on what kind of mother she is, but I'm with mycroft.

Posting about your life on the internet can be a double-edged sword. Along with the fans, followers, adoration, and positive attention that one gets from talking about every aspect of their personal life to 100's, even 1000's of strangers, they must also be prepared to receive negative attention, disdain, and even hate.

She was fine with tweeting/blogging about her life until it came back to bite her in the rump...and by biting her in the rump, I'm speaking of the bad media attention and hate messages that she's gotten.

This is a tough one. I'm not a tweeter or texter, so I don't really get all that. However, I do spend a LOT of time on this MB. If anything happened to my son (god forbid) would I post it here? Yah, probably. Does that make me a bad mother - I would hope not.

We all, as parents, have to realize there is a time and place for our personal entertainment (which I believe this is). If you look at my posts, they are during the day (when son is at school) or late at night (after bed). This morning he's at a sleep-over, so I have a bit of luxury time.

Our children should always come first, and if she was pre-occupied while her son slipped in the pool, then she'll have to deal with that for the rest of her life. Since I do not know, nor was I there, I really can't judge.

Mel

As much as we all want to sit here and say we are the PERFECT parents, I find that hard to believe. Kids get hurt, or accidents happen, because we get tied up doing things. And for those of you sitting here and saying that would NEVER happen to my child, I would rethink that. You cannot watch your kids 24/7 365 days a year. We are not as perfect as we would like others to believe we are.

I have to agree. To say I was an overprotective mother while our children were growing up would be a huge understatement but no human being can watch their child 24/7. It only takes seconds or minutes for something to happen. Thank God my children's little mishaps of scraped knees, bruises etc. were not serious but they could have been because I could not watch them every second of the day.

More children lose their lives to bicycle accidents than pool drowning and just because the parent didn't run along side chained to the bicycle with the child doesn't make them inept parents. Children lose their lives through vehicle accidents far more often so where does the blame stop? Are we saying because there is a chance that a young child may be killed we are to stop driving children around or buying them bikes?

I think it is only logical in todays time that both men and women multi task and it doesn't take but a minute or two for an accident like this to happen and imo it is a tragic accident that this mother will never get over imo.

imo

She CAN'T grieve or mourn because she is constantly having to worry about when the next reporter will be showing up on her lawn UNINVITED!!! Or when the phone rings who it will be!

Leave the woman and her family ALONE! She did NOTHING wrong! Let her mourn her child, that she obviously loved, why else would she be twittering asking for prayers???

BBM, attention seeking would be my guess.

Thanks for the link. When I was 11, my youngest sister was 1 ansd 2 and I watched her all the time, to include at the beach and pool. As fate would have it, my younger sister survived childhood, having turned 33 last summer!

I was babysitting my younger brother at 11 as well, plus regularly sitting for a neighbor's infant. I even gave him a bath once.

As a mother now I think that woman was crazy to leave me with him, but this mom just let her older one take the baby into the back yard to play, believing the gate was locked.

As far as being pissed off by reporters, I believe I'd care. Being angry is a very normal grief reaction. When I was in the hospital with the loss of my second child I saw the doctor who had treated me (badly) the first time and I had to be held back from confronting him right then and there. I was so hurt and angry that I was ready to lash out at anyone who gave me the slightest excuse.

And when my friend's brother was hit by a car, we had to break up a fight between relatives in the waiting room. Over the dumbest thing, but the emotions are so high.

If someone had come onto my property and taken pictures, I would have been using some restraint to stick to the paintball gun and not the Red Rider.

Drowning is the number one cause of death for tots in Florida..

it is ridiculous...we have some laws on newer houses that require child proofing...but older houses are grandfathered in

we have seen this way too often...the sad circling helicoper shots of a pool of death

it seems to often happen when a family moves into a home

sorry but she was negligent or the child would not have drowned

I don't even see why parents buy a home with a pool when they have such little kids

it happens way too often

went to look at her site blog4mom and saw it's basically a poorly written marketing scheme. She wasn't "talking" to friends-she was hawking products, giveaways, etc. Apparently, this is big, praising products to get freebies, offering giveaways to attract traffic to your site etc.

I didn't see any evidence of real social interaction, more trying to get free stuff and attend conferences. I found this description which kind of sums it up:

"She was a total marketer...and very entrenched in the Twitter/Social Media club...between June and December, she attended social/networking meetups in Disney, for General Motors, for Type A Moms, and Blogher - some lasting up to 5 days - they were all traveling trips and didn't include her family.

She often had "give aways" of $500.00 Walmart cards in order to attract traffic to her site, but if you read her Twitter line, she never mentioned the winner.
She often praised merchandise looking for freebies - which she often got: Eye fi, Crocs, HP, Kuru Footwear and assorted others.

Mrs. Ross even had links with "how to make money using Twitter."

Yes Sir - she did everything one is supposed to do to get noticed in Twitter Land, communicate often and engage people in conversations - do "giveaways" to attract more people, mention companies that you like often enough, and they will send you freebies, she had one Tweet that said, "I've tweeted so much, my API has failed!"

This is not to say I blame her. But to me it's not a question of twitterering. To me, the twitter stuff was a job and like any other working mother you need to have someone take care of your children while you work. I have twins so I know I couldn't work and watch them while they were young. I worked at home two days a week and always had a sitter with me at the house to make sure they were always watched. To me, she was working and only she knows if she was able to work and watch her young child at the same time.

Well yes, of course - when you ask others to pray for you (as we do here often), you are certainly seeking their attention!

I'm sure this woman feels as close and connected to her friends on Twitter as I do to mine here or on Facebook.

went to look at her site blog4mom and saw it's basically a poorly written marketing scheme. She wasn't "talking" to friends-she was hawking products, giveaways, etc. Apparently, this is big, praising products to get freebies, offering giveaways to attract traffic to your site etc.

I didn't see any evidence of real social interaction, more trying to get free stuff and attend conferences. I found this description which kind of sums it up:

"She was a total marketer...and very entrenched in the Twitter/Social Media club...between June and December, she attended social/networking meetups in Disney, for General Motors, for Type A Moms, and Blogher - some lasting up to 5 days - they were all traveling trips and didn't include her family.

She often had "give aways" of $500.00 Walmart cards in order to attract traffic to her site, but if you read her Twitter line, she never mentioned the winner.
She often praised merchandise looking for freebies - which she often got: Eye fi, Crocs, HP, Kuru Footwear and assorted others.

Mrs. Ross even had links with "how to make money using Twitter."

Yes Sir - she did everything one is supposed to do to get noticed in Twitter Land, communicate often and engage people in conversations - do "giveaways" to attract more people, mention companies that you like often enough, and they will send you freebies, she had one Tweet that said, "I've tweeted so much, my API has failed!"

This is not to say I blame her. But to me it's not a question of twitterering. To me, the twitter stuff was a job and like any other working mother you need to have someone take care of your children while you work. I have twins so I know I couldn't work and watch them while they were young. I worked at home two days a week and always had a sitter with me at the house to make sure they were always watched. To me, she was working and only she knows if she was able to work and watch her young child at the same time.

Personally, Twitter bores me to tears and the only usefull thing I see it for is marketing. But even though I know lots of folks who use Twitter for marketing, they do indeed, over time, become close to their network.

I don't believe her job and/or her tweeting is the reason she now has to bury a child.

About 6 years ago I belonged to a forum that was quite different from this one as it did not really have anything to do with missing children or adults, or even crime. There was this other member who was online in the forum and was continually posting about her children and her posts were maybe 3 minutes apart and continued all day long. She was always speaking of the negative things that were happening in her life and about how her children were always having accidents because they were just accident prone. This went on and on until a poster was banned because they out and out accused the mother of constantly being on the computer and not watching her children. This forum was actually a small support group, and shut down not long after because it got so ugly.

I am from the old school. I believe in watching your children every moment they are outside. If you are reading tweets and tweeting as much as this woman was (yes, I have read the whole story), then you have time for little else. I do not like this womans' actions in this. I think she was wrong and I do not apologize for my thoughts amd opinions on it.

I am a grandmother and do not have small children or even children in the home. That is why I am on WS so much. I enjoy it very much but would not be here right now if I were watching small children. And, of course, being a grandmother, I am much older than almost all of the people who tweet or post with this mother. I think she pretty much lived on the forum and lived for tweeting when she should have been watching her children much more closely!

Just my opinion!

Firstly, LA I am sorry for the loss of your child. I had to respond because I also don't think you are being heartless at all (as you stated in a later post). I think you made excellent points here. Good for the group who busted the poster on her seemingly addictive behavior, I hope she was able to hear it and changed for the sake of her young children.

I don't know what this mother of the child who drowned was doing and my heart goes out to her for the loss of her child. I am not going to directly accuse her of anything as I don't know all the details and I am not the one conducting the investigation.

However, every day, I deal with the aftermath of parents/caregivers not taking proper care of their children and it is absolutely heartbreaking how many accidents happen.

You cannot rely on older children to be the sole supervisor of your smaller child, they will take off, they will leave gates open, they will get distracted.

Well yes, of course - when you ask others to pray for you (as we do here often), you are certainly seeking their attention!

I'm sure this woman feels as close and connected to her friends on Twitter as I do to mine here or on Facebook.

Many of us ask for prayers but I doubt I would be doing that while my son was being prn dead. If my son had only died minutes before, I would be beside myself with so much grief that a computer and my internet friends would be the farthest thing from my mind.

Many of us ask for prayers but I doubt I would be doing that while my son was being prn dead. If my son had only died minutes before, I would be beside myself with so much grief that a computer and my internet friends would be the farthest thing from my mind.

I agree with everything you just said. I know we are all not perfect mothers and I dont doubt this is a horrible accident but I just cannot see myself posting anything anywhere right after my son died.

I have been thinking about this one a lot since I first read it here yesterday. if the timeline an earlier poster posted is accurate, that adds more sadness to this situation. I still dont believe the fault lies with the mother, as she thought the gate was locked and that the other kids were watching and that will be what she beats herself up with for the rest of her life.

I mean doodling around on your phone when you think everything is all peachy is not a terrible thing...I do think as her kids were 11, 7, and 2 that I personally would be spending more time peeking at the kids than tweeting (not that I am a tweeter cause I got a toddler and I dont feel I have the time) but again, I am overprotective to the paranoid point.

this just grieves me cause it's such a terrible loss for anyone....I couldnt stand it, I truly couldnt, if all the newspapers in the world were saying these things about me....cause you know deep down she will blame herself for this whether she was on the phone or not :(

sorry guys I didn't figure out how to edit the title in time & the option's gone now (only a mod can help me now!)

:banghead:

It is too late for this little boy, and regardless of whatever level of 'guilt' or 'innocence' on the part of his mother while supervising him, this whole family will be in my prayers. This will be an agonizing Christmas for yet another family, and that breaks my heart.

If this story brings better awareness to people regarding the hazards of children and pools, and causes parents to scrutinize their own level of supervision while their kids are near water- and saves other children from drowning- this child will not have died completely in vain.

But, what a hard 'lesson' for this mother, and this family.

sorry guys I didn't figure out how to edit the title in time & the option's gone now (only a mod can help me now!)

:banghead:
I can only speak for myself, but I think the title of the thread is fine. Once someone starts reading, they will learn the facts of this case, and make their own decision.

Thank you, LadyL, for sharing this story. It is heartbreaking, this needless, tragic loss- but, also a real eye-opener.

I read that the other lady, Maggie I believe it was, who posted to others at first to make sure this wasn't a scam is getting bad threats, and was told by the grieving mom that she's heartless among other things. Twitter sounds like a horrible influence on some people. I don't understand the marketing aspect of the thing. Wouldn't it be better to have some real money for the work instead of trips and freebie stuff? I mean, if it takes up a person's whole day then how can it even be worth the time if a person has kids and a home to take care of.

I read that the other lady, Maggie I believe it was, who posted to others at first to make sure this wasn't a scam is getting bad threats, and was told by the grieving mom that she's heartless among other things. Twitter sounds like a horrible influence on some people. I don't understand the marketing aspect of the thing. Wouldn't it be better to have some real money for the work instead of trips and freebie stuff? I mean, if it takes up a person's whole day then how can it even be worth the time if a person has kids and a home to take care of.

I doubt most folks who Twitter spend any more time on it than I do on Facebook and/or Websleuths. (I say that with full knowledge that some folks would think I spend too much time on Facebook and/or Websleuths! :crazy:)

The reason Twitter is a good marketing source is because you can meet and become connected to many many people who you do not know (as opposed to Facebook which is folks you know). I have friends who have used Twitter business marketing tool and gotten terrific results - friends with all sorts of careers: attorneys, real estate, insurance, restaurants.... There are all sorts of sites out there that can teach you how to use it effectively if you have an interest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back