Deceased/Not Found VA - Melissa Brannen, 5, Lorton, 3 Dec 1989 *C. Hughes guilty*

Her dna has to be run against her own family before anyone will revisit running it against the Brannen's. Which I think is fair given that there is a perp who was convicted and LE believes 100% that she is deceased.

ok thanks for claryifying that.
either way i hope alexis finds out who she really is.

I think the thread went away because there was a whole lot of bickering regarding Alexis' quest. I posted on that thread for quite a while and appreciate you bringing back that bit of original data, Richard!!

I just wanted clarification on this....intent of defile means intent to destroy, right? Was he ever actually convicted of murdering her?

"Defile" means to corrupt, make impure or remove the purity or chastity of....From what I've read, "abduction with intent to defile" is wording for a kidnapping conducted for the purpose of committing sexual assault.
From the Doe Network entries it appears the conviction was based on the abduction, not murder.
I can only assume the DA involved felt there was insufficient evidence to support a murder charge and went for the more assured conviction.

I re-watched the FBI Files episode about Melissa's abduction on Youtube. This case is so disturbing to me; I wish that Caleb Hughes or whatever his name was would have just confessed as to what he did with her body; it seems to me he isn't going anywhere anytime soon as he was sentanced to 50 years in prison. What an evil, sick person he is :furious:

I would pray that somehow she is still alive, but based on evidence gathered by LE, it seems more than likely she isn't. I feel so sorry for her mother. No child deserves anything like that.

Does this mean that if say, they do find her body (here's to hoping she's alive though). Can they charge Hughes with her murder?

Sidenote - I saw the Forensic Files episode when I was about 12 or so. It made me decide to be a lab tech working on crime evidence. This case will always be important to me.

This case was made into a movie for Lifetime I remember watching it a few times.

JMO

This case hits very close to home, literally. My next door neighbor at the time was part of the SAR team. I think about Melissa frequently, everytime I drive by that clubhouse. I am very curious to know more about Alexis and whether or not she found out more information about who she is.

If Alexis/Tiffany looks so much like Melissa, down to the burn on her arm, and LE hasn't looked any further, there must be something that has satisfied for them that the two are not the same. Wasn't Hughes missing for several hours on the night of the party? Anything could have happened.

Not to say that Alexis/Tiffany doesn't have some issues or questions about her identity. I'm just not convinced if LE isn't interested. You'd think that they would WANT to know if she was Melissa, so I'm guessing there is enough evidence against it. I've seen the "For Children Like Me" causes page on Facebook, though. If that's Alexis/Tiffany, then she really does resemble the age progression.

Human remains were found on a road not far from the apartments that Melissa lived in last night. A few people in one of the articles are speculating that it could be Melissa. I have serious doubts, since that road is fairly well traveled and was likely well searched, since it is right by the landfill and solid waste recycling plant. I drive this road regularly and can't imagine that, if the remains were Melissa's that they would not have been discovered by now.

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news...er_finds_skull_human_remains_in_lorton/60581/

I drove down there on my way home from work yesterday, but didn't see where any crime scene tape was left. I'll go back again today to see if I can figure out where they were located.

thanks hollye-I am anxious for Melissa to be found...it has been so long and there are so very many people who have suffered.

I am anxious to hear the results of who the remains belong to. If it is in fact Melissa, I'm just wondering if maybe she was buried in a shallow grave and after two decades of rain, snow, storms, etc. her body may have finally been uncovered? Something to think about. Also, if its not her and the mystery still remains, there still is that flickering chance that she may still be alive (lets hope so). I also had a thought about Caleb Huges motivation in taking her. There could have been a possibilty that he owed a huge debt to some bad people and he could have possibly sold her. That's something else to think about. I really would like to see this case solved soon, because it has been WAY too long and so many people have suffered.

Okay, I keep checking online to see if they have identified the human remains, but see nothing posted. Does anyone know who could be contacted to find out if the remains have been identified yet? I know that they were sent to the medical examiner's office in Richmond for identification. I imagine that if it was Melissa, it would be all over the news, but I am impatient.

From the Virginia Inmate Locator...

Offender Name: Hughes, Caleb Daniel
DOC Number: 1058054
Inmate Number: 173330
Race: White
Projected Release Date: 02/22/2018

Source:

Commonwealth of Virginia - Department of Corrections - Offenders, Offender Locator

LINK:

http://www.vadoc.virginia.gov/offenders/locator/results.cfm

Okay, I keep checking online to see if they have identified the human remains, but see nothing posted. Does anyone know who could be contacted to find out if the remains have been identified yet? I know that they were sent to the medical examiner's office in Richmond for identification. I imagine that if it was Melissa, it would be all over the news, but I am impatient.

Same here, hollye. I want her to be found so badly, because it has been way too long and she needs to come home.

The human remains have not been identified, but are those of a male homicide victim in his 30-40s. The believe that the remains have been there for up to a year.
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/cms/story.php?id=2024

Is there somewhere appropriate that I can start a thread for this man on here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back