WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is usual to assume the guy in a woman's life is involved..and not that far fetched.. but in this case it seems far too random, the involvement of the stepfather etc would make this more unlikely

I think the simplest answer is probably right (usually is)... when we learned of her "relapse" and pills for depression....I think that is the answer...I think she was impaired but NOT enough for the people in the diner or at the house to hold her or restrain her...

I think that the "reunion " with the stepfather had her upset also...and may have even prompted the relapse...in AA people are told to do the steps, and "make amends" and clear the wreckage of the past, but SOME people do this too quickly, they are not emotionally ready to see people from their past and it can end up badly....

I wish we knew more about her ...how long sober?? in AA?? how bad was her problem before??

I found it "odd" from the start when her family was so adamant that she was "not into drugs" and was "responsible"....almost overkill

I think she made some really bad decisions...and ended up in the water...I think her son tried to save her or she tried to save him...and I do not think there is a happy ending here

BBM

What family other than the fiance, ex and boy's father have we heard speak out on this?

Forgot about air bags.. good point. Although... (total conspiracy theory here) if the airbags had deployed at a previous date & were never replaced (or vehicle was purchased used and it didn't have air bags due to this) that could be possible. I think either the kid is making up mommy drinking excuses or she really did hit her head. IF she did hit her head, it seems like the missing link to her weird behavior to me.

We haven't heard about Azriel saying his mom was drinking (Robb said she had a relapse)...we heard about the diner waitress saying he said his mom hit her head.

Have you heard or read Azriel said his mom was drinking?

According to MapQuest, the driving distance from Silverdale to Olympia is 64.36 miles(approx 1hr and 16 minutes driving time), yet it took her almost 3 hours. Were there more stops made along the way?

This woman reminds me so much of Diane Schuler driving aimlessly around.

Police say she left town at 5 pm. (which, btw, was 30 minutes after RS was finished with his training). She supposedly called RS at 6:45 and said she was lost in Olympia.

How the heck could the fiance have pulled this off? Is the step-father in on it, also? He would lie and provide an alibi for the fiance?? Seems pretty far fetched....

I think we have to find out what time he arrived there.

I am local to where the couple lives. The local newspapers here have blogs that make me wonder about RS. I cannot find the orginal article but one blogger wrote that RS was not at cub scout training, it was leadership training. Another thing that bothers me is they live in Silverdale and the boy goes to a North Kitsap School. It is as if there are things that don't add up. Maybe she is running from something or someone. The Stepfather wasn't in contact with her and boys Father was not either.

The GMA interview is also very interesting, RS states the last time he talked to her was 4:15 yet on his web page he states that he told her where he was and she said she would be there shortly. He goes on Further to say that the Health issues he looked up on the internet and it couls be serious but he hasn't followed up on it yet. Is there really a health scare or is RS all about the attention? He has spent the last two days with the Media in Seattle and even the Boys Father said he is going straight to Olympia to search the woods himslef. Again If it were my loved one missing I would be at the last place they were seen and I would search myself.

I found the article with blogs pay attention to long blog wrtitten by rgdimages#217099 it sound like it was writen by RS.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/...return-says-fiance-missing-woman/?partner=RSS

BBM.

Thank you.

Since Feb there has been three missing women in the Pacific North West. 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell in Wenathcee Washington, 24-year-old Katherine Huether car found at Bonneville Dam in Washington's Skamania County. And now Shantina and her son.

Although Katherine Huether may have fallen, Both women were found in the Columbia River Gorge.

This has to seem odd to some people. All in Washington State and since Feb.

Some quotes from Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office.

Cops Have No Clue Where Shantina Smiley And Her Son Are
Smiley and her Son Were Last Seen Asking For Directions in Olympia, Wash.

March 16, 2010

"We don't have a suspect because we don't know if it's a crime," said Mealy. "Our options are open. We're not saying it's foul play and we're not saying it's not, and we're not saying she didn't voluntary leave."

"We can't explain what the hell she was doing out there, if she was even out there at all," the lieutenant said.

Divers searched the waters for a second day Tuesday, but found nothing.

Asked whether it's possible that they got lost in the nearby woods, Mealy said that there are too many houses with porch lights on for them to not have been able to get help.

"This woman had no enemies, no history of domestic abuse and no spousal abuse. From all indications she was a very stable woman, a very loving woman," said Mealy. "And she had a job as a medical coder."

"I don't have any freaking clue what happened."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shantina-smileys-disappearance-stumps-cops/story?id=10116896

I'm only up to page 22, but this is NOT TRUE. Both Shantina AND Az have a permanent restraining order from 2005 against a 34 year old guy (initials CBW) who lives in Castle Rock. She applied for an emergency temporary order, then had a hearing, then was granted a permanent order. (All from WA public court records). It's under the category "Domestic Violence."

The Docket doesn't say what happened. When was the last time she went to Castle Rock? I would think driving alone with your son down to the area where your abuser lives could be traumatizing - coupled with the relapse, anti-anxiety meds, etc.

I really think this police department should be careful with what they say. First, no history of substance abuse; now, relapsed alcoholic. Now no history of domestic violence, yet public records shows an order of protection. Either LE should do a little more digging, or not make these statements to the public.

Bad reporting is not helping us figure anything out.

There was no evidence of a struggle or blood in or around the van, Chamberlain said, but what is suspicious is that an overnight bag with Smiley's and her son's belongings was missing from the van, as was her purse. Her keys were in the ignition and her wallet was in the van. The doors were open as was the back hatch.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...old-son-continues-Monday-dive-team-scent-dogs

Really bad! And the keys were found on the dash, not in the ignition. Guess I'll stay away from Examiner articles too. LOL

They haven't said anything about looking into to her Computer History. She met RS on the computer, could she have been talking to anyone else? Could she have told someone she would be on this trip? Could she have been running from someone, or maybe she didn't want RS to follow her on this trip and she has decided to run for awhile. The call from the payphone at 6:45 to RS. wouldn't they know the location of the payphone by now and be able to put that into the timeline? Could someone have slipped her something and followed her?

Calliope, where are you going with your suspicion of the fiance? How did he do anything to Smiley and her son when he was an hour away the entire time this all went down? He was with someone else the entire time.

At this point nobody and everybody is a suspect. She either got out and she is out there somewhere, or she met harm somewhere along the way.

My question is, does he have anything to gain? Did she accept his marriage proposal? Was the home in his or her name? Was there an insurance policy somewhere?

“I just want them home,” said Simmons, who has been engaged to Smiley for two of the 2½ years he’s known her.

Thought he had all these "health issues" and had just recently asked her to marry him?

Also, in the comments I noticed this:

The law enforcement flyer says her overnight bag has been located, but it didn't indicate if that was left in the car or found elsewhere.

Has that been included in any of the articles yet?

Since Feb there has been three missing women in the Pacific North West. 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell in Wenathcee Washington, 24-year-old Katherine Huether car found at Bonneville Dam in Washington's Skamania County. And now Shantina and her son.

Although Katherine Huether may have fallen, Both women were found in the Columbia River Gorge.

This has to seem odd to some people. All in Washington State and since Feb.

Just to clear up some geography -- while Mackenzie and Katherine were both found near the Columbia River, only Katherine was in the gorge; Mackenzie was found hundreds of miles away in Wenatchee.

IMO, there is no apparent connection between the three cases, though it is a sad coincidence.

I'm only up to page 22, but this is NOT TRUE. Both Shantina AND Az have a permanent restraining order from 2005 against a 34 year old guy (initials CBW) who lives in Castle Rock. She applied for an emergency temporary order, then had a hearing, then was granted a permanent order. (All from WA public court records). It's under the category "Domestic Violence."

The Docket doesn't say what happened. When was the last time she went to Castle Rock? I would think driving alone with your son down to the area where your abuser lives could be traumatizing - coupled with the relapse, anti-anxiety meds, etc.

I really think this police department should be careful with what they say. First, no history of substance abuse; now, relapsed alcoholic. Now no history of domestic violence, yet public records shows an order of protection. Either LE should do a little more digging, or not make these statements to the public.

Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like he's 31 and has an 18 year old girlfriend, and it looks like they've been together for more than a year.

I checked out what I could about DW - the owner of the house where she made the call. He's DHW, and clean as a whistle. But boy, are there a lot of people named DW on the sex offender registries!

DW and wife have 2 boys in their early 20s. TW, one of them, made a comment to the media in one of the articles posted here that Shantina didn't look drunk or anything. So at least he was home at the time. I feel like if Shantina was really that drunk/high on RX drugs, at least the 23 year old son would have noticed something.

Someone earlier also said maybe she went down that little road so her son could use the bathroom - but just a little while earlier she was at DWs house, and surely could have used their bathroom

We haven't heard about Azriel saying his mom was drinking (Robb said she had a relapse)...we heard about the diner waitress saying he said his mom hit her head.

Have you heard or read Azriel said his mom was drinking?

No, sorry. I meant when he said "mommy hit her head" this may be a "mommy drinking" excuse. Sorry for the confusion.

Are we sure she took I-5 to Olympia? For those familiar with WA State, is there a chance that in order to miss traffic maybe she went down the peninsula and then ended near Shelton and back north to Olympia? Might explain some of the lost time...

I know some folks think we're obsessing over the fiancee. Realistically, I don't think he had anything to do with this directly. But the website just rubs me the wrong way! I can't get over it. Hours after your fiance and her child goes missing, you make an outline detailing YOUR moves? Who cares! Compare this to Nancy Moyer's website (nancymoyer.com) - it's all about her, details her tattoos, huge fonts with phone numbers.

With Robb, I immediately thought "manufactured alibi." It just came off as overcompensating. But it fully could just be a nervous reaction to the 24/7 Nancy Grace media. Like Marc Klaas giving DNA/polygraph immediately so the focus wouldn't be on him.

although i found the case I did not see who CBW is, it maybe because I couldnt open a file or something. Could someone PM me that info?

If she went through Shelton she would have had to cross over I-5 to get to that side of Olympia. Either way she would have trying to get back to I-5 south. I could see her going the wrong way trying to get onto I-5.

If she made the call 6:45 saying that she was stopping to eat but she only orders food for A at 9 that doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa