WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, personally I never have thought her car was washed that day because it's filthy. Seems simple to me. If her car was driven by the perp after the wash, the window of time was very small and cannot account for that amount of dirt. Lots of sticky looking exhaust dirt on the back. Just doesn't fit IMO. I could see dust after a wash, I could see mud around the wheels. I can't see the obviously built up grime that is on that car.

I don't think her car was washed that day, despite the account of an eyewitness. "Eyewitnesses" can be mistaken, especially when recalling a missing person, especially after the fact. It would be easy to think you had seen that person. Lots of red cars driven by lots of tall, thin dark haired girls in this town.

I disagree---respectfully of course! Whenever I send my car through the automatic carwash it NEVER cleans the back end of the car well-----I have to do it by hand to get the serious grime esp. where the exhaust area would be.
I think that there was a carwash and that the perp purposefully took her to the car wash to take away her phone and/or take control of the situation. I asked H2Oskier about the SuperWash details----he said that it is a 4 min. car wash and is extremely loud (too loud to hear someone talking on your cell phone). Perfect place to threaten, physically take over and/or hit someone on the head.

I watched a video last night that was filmed while the crime scene was still being searched...The Douglas sheriff said that he thought that she was killed near where her body was found. Some of those first dialogs with LE are invaluable, I think, because it's before they started filtering what they released to the press.

So if they thought that she was killed near where she was found, then I think there had to be some blood there. I had not heard that there was no blood there.

Yes---I don't remember hearing that there was no blood at the CB yard either. Anyone recall?

I was at Fred Meyer tonight and I seen JF. He kept looking at my granddaughter who is tall and has long dark hair. She kind of resembles MC. He kind of creeps me out knowing who he is. I also got a picture of his truck but don't know how to put it on here.

I disagree---respectfully of course! Whenever I send my car through the automatic carwash it NEVER cleans the back end of the car well-----I have to do it by hand to get the serious grime esp. where the exhaust area would be.
I think that there was a carwash and that the perp purposefully took her to the car wash to take away her phone and/or take control of the situation. I asked H2Oskier about the SuperWash details----he said that it is a 4 min. car wash and is extremely loud (too loud to hear someone talking on your cell phone). Perfect place to threaten, physically take over and/or hit someone on the head.

Well, disagreements on this board are what churns more ideas out, so no sweat :)

If there was any evidence of abduction I would agree with this being a possibility, but from what we know from LE's statements (assuming they are being truthful!) she was most likely not abducted. Indeed, my personal theory is that she went out to CB willingly for some reason. I think she either went into the CB house with the perp or for a walk on the property where her murder occurred. This would explain both the reported lack of evidence in the car and her purse being left in the car. I wouldn't take my purse with me for a walk in such a private area.

We have covered the inconsistencies of the “hey” text numerous times and also last phone activity, thought it might be useful to put the following four reports into the same post as a refresher:

2/13/10 - GLC verbal interview: Moore states last time we heard from MC was 3:15pm

http://www.golakechelan.com/?name=News&file=article&sid=10276

2/14/10 – Below info located in side bar of WW article linked below:

Records from Cowell’s cell phone last week show “just normal cell phone activity for Mackenzie,” Moore said. “There were no numbers that were different or unique from who she was normally calling.”

At 3:30 p.m., Cowell made her last text message. “She texted her boyfriend, ‘Hey.’ He responded with the same text, ‘Hey,’ ” Moore said.

At 5:42 p.m. Tuesday, a cell tower bounced a signal off her phone, and that was the last activity, Moore said. He declined to say where the cell tower was located.

Investigators assume that the phone was turned off from then on, which would have been unusual for Cowell, he said. “This is a gal who used her cell phone to text nearly 200 times a day,” Moore said.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/14/investigators-say-body-is-mackenzie-cowell/?online

2/26/10 - This is the 3:40 text time currently in the timeline:

Doug Jones, spokesman for the task force investigating Cowell’s death, said the last activities on the cell phone were two text messages. They were between Cowell and her boyfriend at about 3:40 p.m. and each was, "Hey."The texts were made when the phone was at the boat launch.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/26/cowell-boat-launch-day-she-disappeared-investigato/

3/??/10 - JV communicates with WS member MelissaW:

JV reports that MC texted him (JV) at 2:45pm saying “hey” – he texts her back at around 4:15pm, with no reply from MC.

One can't help but be upset and even angry at the apparent misleading in these differing timelines that have been reported. 3:15...3:30...3:40??? All of these are suppose to represent the last activity she supposedly made from her cell? I agree w/those of you who have said that either the collective LE is inept or purposely deceptive in these matters. But what purpose would be served in giving three different times for the same event? In the words of an internet talkshow host I used to listen to..."the truth is out there somewhere". I'll go w/JV's timeline at this point; what has he to gain from making anything up?

I was at Fred Meyer tonight and I seen JF. He kept looking at my granddaughter who is tall and has long dark hair. She kind of resembles MC. He kind of creeps me out knowing who he is. I also got a picture of his truck but don't know how to put it on here.

I had the same feeling when I saw him. What color was the truck?

Yes---I don't remember hearing that there was no blood at the CB yard either. Anyone recall?

They have never said either way, but I agree with the poster who said that early statements are very valuable to sleuthers to separate the bull pucky from the good stuff.

IIRC the earliest statements from LE about her body in relation to CB were "We believe that where she was found is the crime scene." I'm taking them at there word on that one for now.

If you have it on your computer as an attachment, it's easy. When you are typing your reply, above the type are options. There is a paperclip pic that is for adding an attachment. You click on that and browse for your photo, and press "upload". Then close the page, click on the paperclip again and it will add to your post.
~don't do a "quick reply", go to, the "advanced reply."

Creepy as all get out.

I had the same feeling when I saw him. What color was the truck?

The truck is a silvery grey color with a black metal rack overhead front cab to back. It is a dodge extended cab. with a license plate cover from sangsters motors. I also go he license plate number, but don't know if I can post.

snipped by me from No More

U]Construction[/u]

1. MC's car found in an area where construction workers live
2. MC's body found by a house that many construction workers would know

http://dor.wa.gov/content/doingbusi...RequestType=1&Criteria=SCH+Construction&City=

IMHO I do not think that a lot of people knew that the Hurds were in the construction business, if you look at the license it clearly states that the license is for non comercial use only.

Metalsmiths, You mentioned you were a local photographer and if anyone wanted any pics you would be willing to snap some. I was just wondering if you have ever taken any crime scene photos?

The truck is a silvery grey color with a black metal rack overhead front cab to back. It is a dodge extended cab. with a license plate cover from sangsters motors. I also go he license plate number, but don't know if I can post.

I don't know what purpose it would serve and I'll bet it is not allowed.

snipped by me from No More

U]Construction[/u]

1. MC's car found in an area where construction workers live
2. MC's body found by a house that many construction workers would know

http://dor.wa.gov/content/doingbusi...RequestType=1&Criteria=SCH+Construction&City=

IMHO I do not think that a lot of people knew that the Hurds were in the construction business, if you look at the license it clearly states that the license is for non comercial use only.

Very interesting.....!

I don't buy the idea of a drug deal at the carwash. Not because I think drugs can be absolutely ruled out of this whole mess, but because a high school kid can get drugs in Wenatchee every day of the week and not at the car wash. Schools all across America are great places to get a hold of contraband and Wenatchee is no exception.

Re the car going through the wash and still being that dirty just a few hours later, I still don't think so. Just my opinion only. I think it would take at least a few hours of driving in bad conditions to create that mess and I just don't think from what we know that the perp had time. The car's timeline is one of the very few things we have a good grasp on. I'm a big fan of the Occam's razor concept and I think the perp was busy killing her and disposing of her body during most of the hours in question. I think any driving the car did was perhaps out to CB on good highway conditions and then for sure up to the top of PC, where the perp probably tried to continue further up the dirt portion of the road and failed, hence the thick mud on the tires.

I just don't think she was ever at a carwash that day.

Most of our 'thinking' mine included will be washed away if & when (I have to believe when!) this case is 'solved'. But for the time being, I think it's safe to assume that something intentional took place as a result of her/their trip through the carwash as she was not known to 1) be particularly concerned about the appearance of her car, according to JV 2) had not informed JV or anyone else that we know of that she was meeting up w/someone else, which was reported to be unusual behavior by those close to her, and 3) she was already 45 minutes overdue for her return to the Academy (information taken to be factual as a result of what was printed on the reward poster seen around town which states she was on a 15 minute break). Of course, if she did indeed go through the carwash, LE has not mad that info known to the public, for whatever reason. It was, I believe, introduced here on WS by a certain someone who seemed credible. One other thing I might add, I used to go almost exclusively to the same carwash that is being discussed and had a very difficult time getting my car clean (dark color like hers). When I complained to the attendant there, he informed me it's because of the de-icer that they spray on the streets & highways. Even after a free trip through the 2nd time at his expense, there was still a residue and it did not appear clean.

Respectfully snipped by me:

For all we know people of interest could even be posting on here. JMHO

I might suggest you go back & read through previous threads. From all that I can determine from following previous Sleuther's research & their posting on this matter of JV as a real possibility for being a suspect in this murder the answer is no, nada, not even remote at this point. I believe it was stated by someone who knows, maybe 'Melissa', that he had passed a lie detector test early on. He also has a credible alibi, and at this point, none of the mud that was slung at him by previous sleuthers or WW posters early on appears to have stuck. Not a perfect guy in every way I'm sure, but for now, he's one of the victims of this horrible tradgedy, not a suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ameesqt