WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to bring this up again cuz I know I will get slammed, but IMHO it was a drug deal.

MC did not do drugs or drink alcohol for that matter. While that may sound somewhat naive, it is based in fact. She had been exposed to more than her fair share of addictive behaviors and had strong feelings about not wanting to be a part of that culture. She might have been a 5'9" dark haired knockout, but she was a timid, sweet young woman trying to overcome her insecurity for the first time as a senior on the dance team. She was working on her nutrition, consulting with brother CC and working out at the gym on a regular basis with a decent awareness of healthy habits.

IMHO this was NOT a drug deal.

MC did not do drugs or drink alcohol for that matter. While that may sound somewhat naive, it is based in fact. She had been exposed to more than her fair share of addictive behaviors and had strong feelings about not wanting to be a part of that culture. She might have been a 5'9" dark haired knockout, but she was a timid, sweet young woman trying to overcome her insecurity for the first time as a senior on the dance team. She was working on her nutrition, consulting with brother CC and working out at the gym on a regular basis with a decent awareness of healthy habits.

Wow, great insight Gone Too Soon! I think it is helpful for us to know what MC's personality was like in determining different scenarios and I had never before heard that she was extremely timid. It is also helpful to hear that she vacuumed her car at home, as well as just the general visibility in the car wash. Gives us more to think about, thanks!

I have been trying to make the point about her non-drug use but I think people thought I was being naive or that JV wasn't telling the truth. I do think it is good to hear it confirmed from someone else, especially someone as eloquent as you. :dance:

I thought some one else had firmly established he drove a newer GMC pu. What say you, expert sluethers on this matter? I'm confused here.

This confused me also because the truck I saw at the restaurant was a full size very new GMC.

You seem to know a lot about MC personally and her family life. In your opinion, who do you think caused her death?

Well, disagreements on this board are what churns more ideas out, so no sweat :)

If there was any evidence of abduction I would agree with this being a possibility, but from what we know from LE's statements (assuming they are being truthful!) she was most likely not abducted. Indeed, my personal theory is that she went out to CB willingly for some reason. I think she either went into the CB house with the perp or for a walk on the property where her murder occurred. This would explain both the reported lack of evidence in the car and her purse being left in the car. I wouldn't take my purse with me for a walk in such a private area.

so then you believe that she drove her car to CB?? and how do you explain the phone being turned off at 4:15? See I'm thinking she was incapacitated in a 15 minute window which is why I am so stuck on the danged carwash---so how could she be driving her car unless she was threatened with a weapon or removed from the driver's seat (in either case that would be abduction right??)
Now---if and I mean IF the carwash attendant was wrong ----well that changes everything. But IF he was right---how do you get to the CB property for a leisurely walk without abduction?

look at where the vegetation line is ----is it possible that all of you are right?
Her body and feet were in the river and in the stream because the river was higher then???

That image is on the shore at almost a right angle from the shore fronting CB.

If you look at the sat pic that metalsmith posted, you get a better idea of where that photo is... there's no stream there. Whether you agree or disagree with metalsmith's location of the body, his overhead photo is a good one. I had seen that excavation photo earlier, but it really really sank in when he posted his speculative location. SOMEONE dug something there...and it must have been significant enough for the media to make a photo.

Kinda off topic... but does anyone know if the 156 CB is within the town of Trinidad? I was looking at plats tonight, and I didn't even realize that there was a Town of Trinidad.

Wow, great insight Gone Too Soon! I think it is helpful for us to know what MC's personality was like in determining different scenarios and I had never before heard that she was extremely timid. It is also helpful to hear that she vacuumed her car at home, as well as just the general visibility in the car wash. Gives us more to think about, thanks!

I have been trying to make the point about her non-drug use but I think people thought I was being naive or that JV wasn't telling the truth. I do think it is good to hear it confirmed from someone else, especially someone as eloquent as you. :dance:

I agree Melissa about Gone Too Soon's insight. It is what the FBI call profiling the victim. I never knew they did this before I started watching Criminal Minds, but I guess they do this to figure out why this victim was chosen. I don't really know. Maybe someone here does. I am amazed at the high level of investigative prowess there is here, studying Mackenzie's case. Ya Ya

If MC was asking for assistance with coins, she was most likely using the vacuum system vs. the car wash which takes bills or debit cards. MC rarely had spare cash, unless she had her lunch money. She did not regularly use her debit card. I have to agree with JV, car washing was not a priority for her.
I've heard a couple times here and there that MC didn't carry much spare cash..for what it is worth...another student I know at the Academy get's tips during the day when cutting hair. That would be a source of MC having spare cash on a regular bases.

I believe it is within the city of Quincy.

The plats are really good to understand the area. One shows low water/high water.

Hey... did you know that the part of the river right in front of 156 CB is named Wanapum Lake?

Attachments

• wanapumlake.jpg
    wanapumlake.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 26
I believe it is within the city of Quincy.

Actually, the CB house is located in Unincorporated Douglas County.

There are many properties in Crescent Bar that are located in Unincorporated Grant County, with a Quincy mailing address -- but not this particular house.

The speck house's lights were on again tonight. The same two interior lights that were left on when LE and FBI were searching it.

There was a white car parked on the other side of the street, like the one's LE / FBI have had there before. (white car may belong to neighbor, but I highly doubt the lights belong to the neighbor.)

It is odd that the lights that were left on are the same as before (after LE left), and they are not ones that I would think would be left on.......example entry lights, garage lights, livjngroom.....

so then you believe that she drove her car to CB?? and how do you explain the phone being turned off at 4:15? See I'm thinking she was incapacitated in a 15 minute window which is why I am so stuck on the danged carwash---so how could she be driving her car unless she was threatened with a weapon or removed from the driver's seat (in either case that would be abduction right??)
Now---if and I mean IF the carwash attendant was wrong ----well that changes everything. But IF he was right---how do you get to the CB property for a leisurely walk without abduction?

I think she either drove out there in her car with the perp as a passenger, or parked somewhere, met him and took his rig (riverfront maybe?).

I have to regard the 4:15 cell phone time (being turned off) as rumor or at most as highly interpretable. We just don't know for sure and it certainly conflicts with LE's statements about the last ping time. If it IS accurate, there are numerous possibilities. Maybe she turned it off herself so as not to be interrupted then turned it back on shortly before her TOD, maybe she was enroute to CB, out of the service area and her phone went to voicemail or another automated message leading JV to think it had been turned off. We just don't know.

I decided to go do a little field trip yesterday, went to Super Wash on 5th & Wenatchee Ave. Washes have gone up recently they range from $5-8, I selected the $8 wash and it took only 4 minutes from start to finish. I observed that I was in plain view of the Banner Bank where I suspect they have surveillance cameras BUT when I went to the other Super Wash location on Wenatchee Ave near Dusty's Burgers they have a car dealership behind them and face a brick wall - don't think it looked like any cameras at that location.
So no one could see in then, right? When I look at the photos of Superwash near Dusty's (which is the one H20skiier says is the one) it looks like you cannot see people in the car as they go through.

If MC was asking for assistance with coins, she was most likely using the vacuum system vs. the car wash which takes bills or debit cards. MC rarely had spare cash, unless she had her lunch money. She did not regularly use her debit card. I have to agree with JV, car washing was not a priority for her.

I don't think MC's car went through the car wash that day for the following reasons:
a) The car is filthy dirty; during the winter months when it can go for long periods without washing it and traveling back & forth to Orondo on a daily basis; That has been discussed and most seem to believe she probably did go through the wash, but then the perp drove it up into dirt.
b) MC didn't much care about washing the car, but when she did it was usually at Jet Pro Car Wash on Wenatchee Ave across from Les Schwab. RC took MC there to practice when she was learning to drive about 12-18 months ago; My theory is that her visit to the carwash has nothing to do with cleaning the car----the perp pushed for the carwash to take control and she went along with it OR there was a drug deal in there.
c) The windshield was already cracked and the wiper was in disrepair, but not a problem - windshields get replaced in Spring in NCW and when budget allows; not clear what this has to do with the carwash?
d) If MC needed to vacuum her car out, she would do that at home in Orondo; does not disprove she went to the carwash
e) It would be very difficult to attack someone in the car wash and trade seats with them in 4 minutes in virtually plain sight; I don't think it was in plain sight based on your description and a photo provided by Superwash, and 4 minutes is plenty of time if it is premeditated
f) MC was extremely timid with those she does not know well; it appeared like a bit of arrogance when it was really shyness. I can't imagine her letting a stranger in her car under any circumstances; good point, but who says it was a stranger?
g) There are SEVERAL cars like MC's in this community; I noticed before & after this tragedy. You only have to drive a short distance to see a car just like hers. The carwash attendant remembered MC not her car.

I think someone might be confused about what they saw that day? Some of this is SPECULATION; some first hand knowledge. IMHO it just doesn't fit. :twocents:

Above I responded (with warmth and curious spirit) to your reasoning---although it is still in the works whether the eyewitness is accurate and I always keep that in mind!!!!

The plats are really good to understand the area. One shows low water/high water.

Hey... did you know that the part of the river right in front of 156 CB is named Wanapum Lake?

Yes, I for one was aware, it has been heavily reported and discussed locally -- as regulation of Wanapum Dam is one of the relevant points to the imminent departure of residents on CB island.

Actually, the CB house is located in Unincorporated Douglas County.

There are many properties in Crescent Bar that are located in Unincorporated Grant County, with a Quincy mailing address -- but not this particular house.

The plat I read says it's in the Town of Trinidad. I doubt that that's an incorporated town, but I had not known that.

The plat also shows how tiny the actual property at 156 CB is. Half of what we think of as 156 CB is actually easement and PUD. I think that 156 CB is only 70000 SF--maybe an acre and a half.

No ill will, but MC had drank alcohol and did try mj. (known fact!)

You seem to know a lot about MC personally and her family life. In your opinion, who do you think caused her death?

I'm not sure my opinion is warranted here, but thank you for asking. I am so impressed with all of the people who, for whatever reason, log on here faithfully to try to decently discuss possible scenarios or solutions for her. MC would be completely overwhelmed that people who don't even know her could care SO much. I did have the privilege of knowing MC well and while I monitor these threads regularly I only comment when I think I have something factual to share or can offer simple clarification from my point of view or personal knowledge. I am confident that LE is doing everything they possibly can to "clear" this case and bring the perpetrators of this horrible crime to swift and efficient justice. Many of the LE folks working on this case have children in the same age category and I'm sure it must be difficult for them.:detective:

MC's case has been especially trying on the ENTIRE community here in NCW (as it has also been frustrating for the WS community); not knowing if there is a murderer walking free amongst us, among our children at their activities or whether this is a situation where rage or passion simply got out of control. I offer my thanks for the respectful diligence and spirit you have all shown for family & friends of MC here in this forum over these weeks of agony. Keep up the continued good work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member