WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviewing the Wenatchee World articles…

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/topics/cowell/

It seemed that the first couple of days LE were very focused on Pitcher Canyon, where her car was found. When the FBI arrived, they were focused on abduction; however, after the car was searched and swabbed there was a change. If LE were still looking at abduction, I don’t think that they would have referred to the FBI as still helping at the request of Chelan County Sheriff’s office.

Found in her car, the clothes that she was wearing on the video. LE most likely thought that someone had taken her and removed her clothing. They may have been surprised to find that she was wearing clothing when they found her body.

Sorry, I just might be too tired, But where did LE get the number called to 6 times from? Cell phone missing and all, and the "Hey" text. I understand the warrant wanting more info on the called # ( in/out/texts..etc). KWIM?? Or maybe it's time for bed? Thoughts.

I assume the number was in her call records (sometimes even available online to the account holder). I am wondering why the clothing that was supposed to be in the car is not on the property receipt. Surely they must have held it for evidentary purposes....

I assume the number was in her call records (sometimes even available online to the account holder). I am wondering why the clothing that was supposed to be in the car is not on the property receipt. Surely they must have held it for evidentary purposes....

That is a good question. I wonder if the clothing was removed from the car before the car was processed. Or maybe the officer thought the clothing in the back seat was the clothing that MC was wearing and used that to help obtain the search warrant. Then they found out that it was some other clothing. In that case the clothing she was found in could still be the clothing that she had on when she left school, which will only be known when the coroner’s report is released. One thing about seeing little bits and pieces, sometime you don’t get the big picture.

I just watched the one video that shows the deck of the CB house in Autumn's flickr account and I see chairs but no table. Where is she when we need her!?

Is it possible the glass shards are from the house Location Of Interest - Recovery...

that particular document is dated Feb 17th after her body was found.

IMOO

Lol! I will get pictures for you this week end and I will pay close attention to the glass and kitchen counters.......whether inside or outside.

that is a good question and the one in the fridge on the deck - it is empty

Which picture are you looking at? I can't seem to find one of the CB house with an empty bottle in the the fridge on the deck. Thanks.

That is a good question. I wonder if the clothing was removed from the car before the car was processed. Or maybe the officer thought the clothing in the back seat was the clothing that MC was wearing and used that to help obtain the search warrant. Then they found out that it was some other clothing. In that case the clothing she was found in could still be the clothing that she had on when she left school, which will only be known when the coroner’s report is released. One thing about seeing little bits and pieces, sometime you don’t get the big picture.

Sometimes the big pic. is found with little bits and pieces. Maybe all of us working together will find the killer/s

Finally got around to looking at the pictures of the spec home. In the kitchen, there appears to be a bottle or bottles on the island, and a black vase, fairly large, on a counter. More glassware to consider.

Broken glass might have been what someone saw that caused that person to alert authorities. I believe that a long time ago in a thread far away there was a rumor about someone (neighbor, real estate person?) who saw something in the spec home that caused LE to search the residence. Broken glass might have caused someone to suspect something like a break-in, or worse.

JMHO

If the glass was found in her car, and the glass comes from table at CB, then her car would have had to be there, and then somehow she was (or her clothes or something from her) put in her car only to be dumped at CB? Well, I thought I had something until I started rambling, then it just doesn't make sense...... For her car to go from Wenatchee, to CB... her being killed, her or some major articles of her (clothing, hair, something that can catch glass) put in the car and then somehow she put back in CB? Maybe (altho this seems far fetched, but if it was an accident and they panicked I guess it could have happened this way): they put her back in car and then realized that they needed to dump her body and chose the remote area OF CB... maybe after realizing PC was secluded enough or something? MOO

I really think this was a confrontation gone bad. She met up with someone to talk (or yell or fight), and perhaps she was pushed or punched and strangled, and somehow was pushed into or fell onto glass... perhaps killer thought they had just gone too far, and had to "finish" the job. I don't think they meant to... but, doesn't make it any better.

The glass chards could have come from somebody else's clothing. However, I really don't think her car was at the CB house either.

since mc has bft to the back of her head. do you think maybe someone could've smashed her head into the countertop instead of using a hammer or other item?
i'm wondering if it did happen in the house at CB maybe there could've been a knife in the kitchen in one of the utensile drawers. just a theory.

i'm looking toward maybe she was killed over a new boyfriend. it doesn't take much for kids nowadays to become violent. the violence in schools are getting much more violent then it was 10 years ago. i leaning more toward maybe she met up with a jeolous ex or recent boyfriend.

since mc has bft to the back of her head. do you think maybe someone could've smashed her head into the countertop instead of using a hammer or other item?
i'm wondering if it did happen in the house at CB maybe there could've been a knife in the kitchen in one of the utensile drawers. just a theory.

BBM

Just curious if you heard something about BFT to the back of her head? According to the WW article about COD, it mentions “Blunt impact to the head” but nothing specifically about the the back of the head. Just curious.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/mar/12/teen-was-stabbed-strangled/?online

i really believe it was someone she dated recently. kids nowadays know how to hide things. i also believe it was more than one person. if the killer is reading this i have to say that this person is such a coward. what kind of crazy person takes another life.

When I saw glass shards and kitchen counter together I thought maybe recycled glass countertops, but after looking at the pics, nope. The vase or wine bottle are better options.

When I saw glass shards and kitchen counter together I thought maybe recycled glass countertops, but after looking at the pics, nope. The vase or wine bottle are better options.

do you think the glass bottle or vase was used to hit her in the head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfawkes

Here is the plain text version with phone # redacted:

"Probable Cause

On 9 February 2010 seventeen-year old MacKenzie Cowell left the Academy of Hair Salon in the 200 block of S. Wenatchee Avenue in Wenatchee. She drove away, alone, in her car. During the next few minutes Cowell made some six phone calls to telephone number 509.REDACTED. She did not connect with anyone on any of these attempts and did not leave any messages according to the family that has this phone number. Cowell called nobody else but did briefly text her boyfriend. There were no calls made after 1542 hours. Her cell phone powered off by 1742 hours.

Later in the evening of 9 February 2010, Cowell’s vehicle was discovered, abandoned, on Pitcher Canyon Road, which is a rural part of Chelan County south of Wenatchee. On Saturday afternoon, 13 February 2010, Cowell’s body was discovered on the banks of the Columbia River near Crescent Bar. The Coroner has ruled her death a homicide.

Investigators, to include Wenatchee Detective Sergeant John Kruse, spoke with family members associated with the telephone number 509.REDACTED. There does not appear to be any obvious connection between this family and Cowell. The family also says they do not know or associate with MacKenzie Cowell.

If this is true, it is possible that Cowell misdialed a number. Det. Sgt. Kruse called REDACTED and discovered the answering machine had a generic message programmed on it, meaning Cowell would not know she had misdialed the number. Det. Sgt. Kruse researched a number of possible phone numbers that are close to this number. He was unable to find any active phone numbers that could match except for one.

The one number that could match is 509.REDACTED. Calling it the first time, Det. Sgt. Kruse heard the phone ring multiple times. There was no voice mail option. Calling it a second time, Det. Sgt. Kruse received a message that the Verizon customer was not available. Again, there was no voice mail option. Checking public records via the internet 509.REDACTED is an unpublished number.

On 17 February 2010 I was assigned to determine ownership of the number. Online, I was able to identify that the number was issued by Cellco Partnership, dba Verizon Wireless. I checked with the Number Portability Administration and confirmed that this number was actively serviced by Verizon Wireless.
Subscriber information is needed for this number to determine if the person associated with it has any connection with MacKenzie Cowell or her disappearance.

Conclusions: Upon execution of this search warrant, I expect to find out who the owner of the cell phone was at the time of the murder. I also expect to obtain information as to whom the owner may have called, received calls from, text messaged or received text messages from.

SIGNED BY J. Small, on February 17, 2010 @ 1:37 p.m."

bbm

The seemingly short-sightedness of some professional investigators always astounds me. Years experience? Perhaps but not thinking outside the box...

Regarding:

"The one number that could match is 509.REDACTED."

I found more than one .... I'll explain:
  • Original area code and prefix, with line number redacted:
    509-884-xxxx
  • Report indicates the investigator found ONE working number:
    509-881-xxxx
The investigator tried different PREFIXES and perhaps tried different LINE numbers but ... I suspect he did not SHIFT the line number GROUP based on keypad positions.

There are multiple directions in which you can 'shift' keypad numbers.

If you're driving while dialing, you have to watch the road and sometimes dial by 'feel'. When preoccupied with driving and perhaps turning the steering wheel, you might 'mis-feel' where your fingers land on the keypad:
  • feels like: 7788 but you're dialing: 8899
  • 4455 -> 5566
  • 4455 -> 7788
  • 5656 -> 8989
  • 5656 -> 2323
Women who dial using their fingernails (I know, rare .. what woman would risk damaging their nails?) are more likely to misdial by 'feel' while driving.

I sleuthed numbers based on the sequence of LINE numbers MC pressed and immediately found viable numbers.

The owner of one number lives in Wenatchee, has FB and MySpace pages and the FB page is a fan of the MacKenzie Memorial page, and also works at Children's Dentistry of Wenatchee.

I found nothing relevant on the persons FB and MySpace pages. If this was the intended number my guess is MC simply was attempting to contact a friend who works at the dentist's office. I say friend because it is the person's personal phone number, not the dentist office number.

I will not post that number nor the associated name but I'm sure many of you other sleuthers are savvy to the point and can extrapolate to different numbers. The one I referenced here might be a bit misty ...

http://www.mansontribune.com/content/view/1439/2/

10C01296 SUSPICIOUS 22:58:43 02/12/10 xxxxxxx xxxx ACT
xxxxxx
RP RECEIVED A TEXT MESSAGE ON HER PHONE SENT BY MISTAKE 20 AGO THAT SAID 'I HAVE THE CASH AND AM DESPERATE, WHERE CAN YOU MEET ME?" NUMBER WAS xxxxxx
23:14:18 02/12/2010 - xxxxxxxx xxxxxx - From: xxxxxxx xxxx

I wonder if the (509) 630-xxxx number referenced in a Property Siezure Record is a possible source of that text message?

I think the message lends more as reference to desire to buy drugs, but ya' never know ...

Hoping that whomever was involved in the breaking of glass left some blood on the shards that were found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998