GUILTY NC - Tim Hennis on trial in the '85 Eastburn murders, Fort Bragg

I can certainly understand why some might waiver with their feelings on this case. I for one have not changed my mind one bit.

I feel so bad for his family as this must be like deja vu all over again. Is his Mother still alive? I have not read anything about her.

Of course I feel bad for Gary Eastburn, his daughter and her parents. I cannot imagine what something like this would do to anybody. I just happen to believe the wrong man has yet again been tried and convicted.

I will be waiting to see what issues the appeal brings up and then another trial. Spinner may need to rethink his strategy on this next one.

jmho

Let me tell you, I was his leader after he was released and rejoined the army. I was with him in Desert Storm. He was NO assest to our platoon and was more trouble than a private. We knew then that he had commited these murder's. Those of us in his platoon would never turn our back on him, he was an explosive person and could go off in a minute.

It to bad they probably will never carry out the sentence.

Let me tell you, I was his leader after he was released and rejoined the army. I was with him in Desert Storm. He was NO assest to our platoon and was more trouble than a private. We knew then that he had commited these murder's. Those of us in his platoon would never turn our back on him, he was an explosive person and could go off in a minute.

Really? I wonder how he stayed in the Army. From what I remember from the book, Timbo was an unlikely candidate for the Army to begin with, and his family was completely surprised when he announced he was joining up.

I will be waiting to see what issues the appeal brings up and then another trial. Spinner may need to rethink his strategy on this next one.

Bad lawyering was also factor in Hennis's first conviction. His lawyers learned from their mistakes and rebounded at the second trial, but Spinner either has to learn from his mistakes as well or they fire him.

And from what I have read, it sounds like Hennis definitely has an anger management problem, which doesn't help; it would definitely make him a lot of enemies, for one thing. His appearance and demeanour were against him as well, and from the looks of his photo found here, it looks like nothing has changed much. I don't think I'd want to get near someone looking like that:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/3rd-trial...0324918&page=1

But does either make him the sort who'd cut a baby's throat? I felt it was the sick, cold-blooded, psychopathic type who would do that sort of thing.

Then why were you not called to testify for the prosecution? Every Army officer put on the stand, which was about 10, highly praised Mr. Hennis and his work while he was in the Army and after the Army.

>>Let me tell you, I was his leader after he was released and rejoined the army. I was with him in Desert Storm. He was NO assest to our platoon and was more trouble than a private. We knew then that he had commited these murder's. Those of us in his platoon would never turn our back on him, he was an explosive person and could go off in a minute.<<

I will be waiting to see what issues the appeal brings up and then another trial. Spinner may need to rethink his strategy on this next one. [/B]

Bad lawyering was also factor in Hennis's first conviction. His lawyers learned from their mistakes and rebounded at the second trial, but Spinner either has to learn from his mistakes as well or they fire him.

And from what I have read, it sounds like Hennis definitely has an anger management problem, which doesn't help; it would definitely make him a lot of enemies, for one thing. His appearance and demeanour were against him as well, and from the looks of his photo found here, it looks like nothing has changed much. I don't think I'd want to get near someone looking like that:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/3rd-trial...0324918&page=1

But does either make him the sort who'd cut a baby's throat? I felt it was the sick, cold-blooded, psychopathic type who would do that sort of thing.

I have yet to finish the book as it has been busy around here and am following some other cases. ;) I have not read anything so far that would lead me to believe he has an anger problem. I certainly take what some say on particular boards with a grain of salt. I've also read posts praising Hennis and saying he is innocent. IIRC there were 18 or 19 witnesses called by the defense in the penalty phase to talk about Hennis, not all were family either.

I have managed to round up some other sites besides the ones that have been pointed out here and am researching all I can about this case, Hennis and military courts.

This crime was definitely committed by a psycho. I do not believe this was his first kill nor his last either. One must possess a special kind of crazy to almost decapitate a woman and her 2 daughters.

jmho

The DNA trumps everything. Unless/until the defense can offer some credible explanation for how Jennifer Hooper found some Y Chromosomes with Tim's DNA, nothing else really matters. There are different opinions of his "character, the credibility of the witnesses and possibility of "similar" crimes but none of those matters if the DNA can't be explained.

Then why were you not called to testify for the prosecution? Every Army officer put on the stand, which was about 10, highly praised Mr. Hennis and his work while he was in the Army and after the Army.

>>Let me tell you, I was his leader after he was released and rejoined the army. I was with him in Desert Storm. He was NO assest to our platoon and was more trouble than a private. We knew then that he had commited these murder's. Those of us in his platoon would never turn our back on him, he was an explosive person and could go off in a minute.<<

I was there, I didn't testify for a number of reasons.

Yeah, hearsay. In 20 years Mr. Hennis never had any disciplinary actions against him and sure not for anger problems.

Yeah, hearsay. In 20 years Mr. Hennis never had any disciplinary actions against him and sure not for anger problems.

He certainly did not sundrop.
Sounds eerily similar to stuff I have read elsewhere. Places that allow posts as guests. :waitasec:

But for every guest post I have read elsewhere I have read one by someone contradicting the negative post.

My Aunt's PT was at FT Bragg in 1986 I believe he said. I am going to pick his brain this week.

jmho

He certainly did not sundrop.
Sounds eerily similar to stuff I have read elsewhere. Places that allow posts as guests. :waitasec:

But for every guest post I have read elsewhere I have read one by someone contradicting the negative post.

My Aunt's PT was at FT Bragg in 1986 I believe he said. I am going to pick his brain this week.

jmho

Yes, we have to treat some comments with caution - there is such a thing as an Internet troll. And we have to bear in mind that Hennis would have a lot of enemies.

This crime was definitely committed by a psycho. I do not believe this was his first kill nor his last either. One must possess a special kind of crazy to almost decapitate a woman and her 2 daughters.

Yeah, I think it was the psychopathic type too, if they were capable of something like that. And as far as I know, Hennis has never tested positive for psychopathy, nor was there anything in his background to indicate he was capable of such a crime. His only criminal record was for bad cheques and that was because he didn't handle money well (something I hope he's learned since then!). Okay, so he may have had a motive for robbery but that is a long way from slitting a woman's throat, much less that of two children. Motive is not essential in proving murder (Hennis himself is an example of this), but the prosecution never did put forward a satisfactory motive for Hennis committing the crimes that smack of a psychopath.

As for further crimes, it could be interesting to check out unsolved murders that were similar to the Eastburn case that were committed prior to the Eastburn murders. As for post-Eastburn murders, at the end of the Whisnant book there is discussion of two murders that were very similar to the Eastburn case. After the second, Jerry Beaver received a postcard saying "Ah! history". Neither case was linked to Hennis. Anyway, let's hope the cold case teams find something on those murders, related to the Eastburn murders or not.

If the same person was responsible for all three (or at least, the latter two) where would he be now? Moved elsewhere? In prison for another crime? Died? Rendered infirm by an accident? Anything is possible.

As for further crimes, it could be interesting to check out unsolved murders that were similar to the Eastburn case that were committed prior to the Eastburn murders. As for post-Eastburn murders, at the end of the Whisnant book there is discussion of two murders that were very similar to the Eastburn case. After the second, Jerry Beaver received a postcard saying "Ah! history". Neither case was linked to Hennis. Anyway, let's hope the cold case teams find something on those murders, related to the Eastburn murders or not.

If the same person was responsible for all three (or at least, the latter two) where would he be now? Moved elsewhere? In prison for another crime? Died? Rendered infirm by an accident? Anything is possible.

Odd you should speculate about other crimes. I know that here in NY they are looking at all unsolved case in the area around Drum for the time period he was here. They also are looking in Lewis Area and probably anywhere else he was assigned.

He is a , pure and simple.

I hope somebody has a look at those two unsolved murders mentioned at the end of the Whisnant book that were similar to the Eastburn killings. Even if they aren't connected to the Eastburn case they still have to be solved; people on both sides of the Hennis case would agree on that. Wonder if the cold case teams are on them now....

I hope somebody has a look at those two unsolved murders mentioned at the end of the Whisnant book that were similar to the Eastburn killings. Even if they aren't connected to the Eastburn case they still have to be solved; people on both sides of the Hennis case would agree on that. Wonder if the cold case teams are on them now....

I hope LE is looking at these 2 cold cases to solve them but better yet when the appeal goes through the defense team needs to solve them. That Leland murder is so darn similar it scares me. Hopefully there is are CC detectives investigating.

jmho

The problem thus far with the Hennis case and Eastburn murders is there has been 'no' investigation into this case except for the original 1985 investigation. The recent three year ordeal that resulted in the conviction; there was no investigation but rather the defense was just addressing the old evidence plus the DNA results. Prosecutors and Judge denied all funding that was supposed to be used to test unknown male DNA and an unknown male pubic hair with root that doesn't belong to Hennis. Quoting the prosecutors "We're not in the business of chasing Phantom Killers"

A thorough investigation would no doubt result in Mr. Hennis not being the killer.

The problem thus far with the Hennis case and Eastburn murders is there has been 'no' investigation into this case except for the original 1985 investigation. The recent three year ordeal that resulted in the conviction; there was no investigation but rather the defense was just addressing the old evidence plus the DNA results. Prosecutors and Judge denied all funding that was supposed to be used to test unknown male DNA and an unknown male pubic hair with root that doesn't belong to Hennis. Quoting the prosecutors "We're not in the business of chasing Phantom Killers"

A thorough investigation would no doubt result in Mr. Hennis not being the killer.

The refusal to test the unknown DNA could well be grounds for appeal. But what the Defence really needs to do is discredit the Hopper evidence.

And yes, somebody definitely needs to re-investigate the murders themselves, and this time do a proper job. From what I have read, the 1985 investigation was a poor one because the police were under political pressure to solve it quickly, so they left a lot of loose ends that still niggle with people and leave them with lingering doubts that Hennis is the man.

I hope LE is looking at these 2 cold cases to solve them but better yet when the appeal goes through the defense team needs to solve them. That Leland murder is so darn similar it scares me. Hopefully there is are CC detectives investigating.

jmho

Some might say the Leland case is a copycat crime, and the same for the "Ah! history" case. But how many people out there are capable of slitting people's throats? I stand by my belief that the Eastburn murders were committed by a psycho and the other two murders may well be the same person.

CC detectives may well be investigating the other murders - if only because they may be under pressure from people who think they are linked to the Eastburn murders, which leads to disquiet about the verdict regarding Hennis.

Some might say the Leland case is a copycat crime, and the same for the "Ah! history" case. But how many people out there are capable of slitting people's throats? I stand by my belief that the Eastburn murders were committed by a psycho and the other two murders may well be the same person.

CC detectives may well be investigating the other murders - if only because they may be under pressure from people who think they are linked to the Eastburn murders, which leads to disquiet about the verdict regarding Hennis.

ITA Sameera
Like I have said before not many new killers go in and almost decapitate 3 victims. It takes a special kind of SICK.

I believe there was an active stomp out the fires when the Eastburn murders took place. LE were under the microscope and the Sheriff was up for re-election. I've got MAJOR ISSUES with the babysitter and the neighbor eyewitness. And this DNA evidence is troubling to me. KWIM

The Leland case and this case could definitely have been committed by the same perp. I hope Beaver will go ahead and reinvestigate both crimes.

jmho

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back