Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #6

shortened

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CORNELL_GORGE_DEATHS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Apr 7, 5:08 PM EDT
Police believe body is Cornell U. suicide victim

ITHACA, N.Y. (AP) -- Police in Ithaca, N.Y., say they believe they have found the body of a student who was among a rash of recent suicides at Cornell University.

Police say a body spotted Wednesday by a boater on Cayuga Lake has been tentatively identified as Matthew Zika, a 21-year-old junior from Lafayette, Ind.

Zika was seen jumping March 12 from a bridge into one of the gorges bounding the Ivy League campus, but his body was never found. Waters in the gorge empty into Cayuga Lake.

Cornell officials say six students have committed suicide this academic year, including three who jumped off bridges.

The school has long been haunted by a reputation for suicides. Cornell maintains its suicide rate over time is normal for colleges.
"Normal over time"? That's preposterous IMO. Cornell has been plagued with suicides...so much so that it's one reason students DON'T apply. JMHO...no connection to the drownings.

RR0004, the Cornell suicides have been going on for many, many years (from two Cornell grads I have known). I agree that including these deaths in the series is probably not a productive path.
OTOH, I have come to believe that the Wisconsin, and possibly the Minnesota cases, are probably all related, or close to all.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.river.body.2.1750756.

A Lincoln Park man pulled from the Chicago River near the Loop on Sunday afternoon died from drowning, a Monday autopsy revealed.

James Burfisher, 28, of the 2200 block of North Cleveland Avenue, was pulled from the river at 243 N. Wells St., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. He was dead at the scene.

Here is another unexplained male college student death from the same geographical area.

http://www.journalstandard.com/features/x331483740/Body-of-Lena-native-found-in-Chicago

Quoted from the above linked article in the Freeport Journal Standard:
A body found Tuesday, March 2, in the Calumet River in Chicago has been identified as 20-year-old Lena native Jay Polhill, a student at Columbia College, according to published reports.

Polhill, who was a photography major, was last seen on Feb. 28 at his dormitory in the 500 block of South State Street in Chicago, states the Chicago Sun-Times. A police Marine Unit reportedly recovered the body floating in the river near East 126th Street and South Stony Island Avenue at around 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, the Sun-Times reports.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office officially identified the body as Polhill on Thursday afternoon. However, an autopsy conducted on the student was reportedly inconclusive, the Sun-Times reports.

Chicago police declined to comment at length Thursday, other than to say the case was a “death investigation” at this point. There has been no official ruling on whether foul play was involved.

Jay Polhill’s mother, Jane Polhill, is a member of the Lena-Winslow Junior High School faculty. Jane Michael, superintendent of the Le-Win School District, said district officials received the news of Jay’s death on Thursday, and were “deeply saddened.” As of yet, the district has not scheduled any events in response to the incident, Michael said.

“We’re deeply saddened by the loss of a former student, and we’re also saddened by the tragic loss that a member of our Le-Win staff has suffered,” Michael said. “We will be sharing information with our staff as we find out information.”

After Jay’s disappearance, his family and friends reportedly reached out to the online community for help, posting a message on Reddit.com, according to the Sun-Times.

A spokesperson with the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office said Thursday that Polhill’s cause of death is “pending further police investigation.”

Don't know i this has been posted yet.

http://www.fox21online.com/news/sly-family-reaction-package

Sun, 05/23/2010 - 9:41pm
By Tracee Tolentino & photojournalist Carrie Kohlmeier, FOX 21 News

ST. PAUL- “I just wanted to see him go to the prom this year; I wanted to see him graduate,” says Sylvester McCurry Sr. Sadly these are things that will not happen.

Last night Sylvester McCurry Sr. received word about his son. It was not the news he had been praying for. “They found a decomposed body and that body had on similar clothes that was described when Sly was missing and his identification was still in his wallet so it was confirmed that it was Sylvester McCurry Jr.,” says Sly’s father.

The body of 18-year-old Sylvester "Sly" McCurry Jr. was recovered Saturday afternoon near the Midwest Energy Coal Terminal. It was in an area of water just down the street from the Stargate Night Club where Sly was last seen on January 17th.

Sly’s family is still in shock. Sly spent much of his childhood living with his father, and McCurry Sr. speaks so fondly of his son, “The years that I spent raising him, I was beginning to see him flourish and turn him into a wonderful young man. He was a very witty, articulate, vibrant person. He could easily light a room up. He was more than a son, he was a best friend, he was a very intricate part of my life.”

Now without his best friend, McCurry Sr. is forced to make sense of his son's death. “I've been missing my son ever since he vanished. I feel like he was just ripped from my arms. Yes I do have my son back but I’m not satisfied.”

While an official autopsy is scheduled for Monday, McCurry Sr. is hoping for answers. “I know in my heart that Sly is in the right place but there are some questions that need to be answered.” The answers to these questions will never bring his son back, but he will never be forgotten. “Nothing can take these memories away from me. He's going to be missed.”

I hadn't seen this posted so I thought I should bring it over from the Footprints sight:

NBC special on Chris Jenkins to air August 6
The family of Chris Jenkins confirmed today that the 1-hour story about their son is slated to air on Friday, August 6 at 8 p.m. (Central Time) on NBC. According to Chris's mom, Jan, the story will be "stirring, unique, touching, factual." The family believes the show will be "like nothing you've ever seen before."

Jan sent me the following announcement about the show:

"Over the top good news for Chris Jenkins's family, friends, and anyone who likes to see crimes solved, and killers off the streets: Friday, August 6, prime time (8:00 p.m., CT) on NBC, here comes a 1-hour story of Chris's life/death. Encourage anyone who cares about family, safety, and justice to watch the show. It will be amazing. That’s 2 weeks from today folks!"

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2010/07/nbc-special-on-chris-jenkins-to-air.html

I am an avid watcher of crime shows, which is what actually got me started on Websleuths. (researching the Maura Murray case after watching Disappeared). The title of this tread never really caught my attention. I am so glad I decided to investigate. Some of these cases are obviouslly linked. This is so disturbing. I hope I can find some time to actually look over these cases in depth and search for similarities. My heart and prayers go out to all of the victim's families.

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2006/11/042598-keith-noble-19-columbus-oh.html

This is one of the cases..........early early on that I always remember.
Check out the third or fourth comment under the article explaining that his scent was lost at some point on a bridge (assuming he went in water at this point) but his body was found UPSTREAM from this.

It was also a route in the opposite direction from where he lived.
If true...............it just doen't add up and there are several cases with "issues" such as this.

This whole thread is very distrubing.. one of the post said a young man's death was ruled a suicide found under a pool cover even though his hand were duct taped?? How do you rule this as anything but foul play can anyone give me name or link of this case??

I look forward to seeing the NBC show.. In one week, NBC will dedicate one hour to the story of Chris Jenkins. “Solve My Mystery” will air August 6 at 9:00 pm EST.

It's shocking to me to see how LE just wrote off Chris Jenkins's case as a suicide or accident. This case would have gone nowhere without the parents pushing, hiring a PI and someone to examine the body.

Why is it so hard to say that at least some of these deaths are likely to be murders? Certainly, if a victim is duct-taped or has a handful of his own hair in a clenched hand, that suggests something other than suicide.

This whole thread is very distrubing.. one of the post said a young man's death was ruled a suicide found under a pool cover even though his hand were duct taped?? How do you rule this as anything but foul play can anyone give me name or link of this case??

I look forward to seeing the NBC show.. In one week, NBC will dedicate one hour to the story of Chris Jenkins. “Solve My Mystery” will air August 6 at 9:00 pm EST.
http://www.spanusa.org/index.cfm?fu...0-F2BB-1B26-42575BB04BDCD08B&previewMode=true

...in his father's words

PS-http://users.rcn.com/shumanmo/

IIRC he left a note.

TY RR0004 that was one of the most touching stories I have ever read..

http://www.chronline.org/Research Brief on Smiley Face Murder Theory - FINAL.pdf

I don't know if this has already been posted, but it's a brief from the Center for Homicide Research in Minneapolis, MN that attempts to debunk the theory. Most of their points are valid, but there are some that are debatable.

I believe these drownings need to be taken at a case-by-case basis. It is possible that some involved foul play...but I don't see how this means that the same killer(s) are responsible.

http://www.chronline.org/Research Brief on Smiley Face Murder Theory - FINAL.pdf

I don't know if this has already been posted, but it's a brief from the Center for Homicide Research in Minneapolis, MN that attempts to debunk the theory. Most of their points are valid, but there are some that are debatable.

I believe these drownings need to be taken at a case-by-case basis. It is possible that some involved foul play...but I don't see how this means that the same killer(s) are responsible.

I read the article and there were some good points but most of them were debatable or speculation, just like points made in these cases.

What has always stuck with me is that some of these cases the term dry drowning was used, so the victim did not have water in the lungs. Why?
Were they already dead? Paralyzed?

And to detect drugs in the system one usually has to know what you are looking for. For example, anectine/succinylcholine (paralytic) is not a random things that pops up on a tox. screen --you have to test specifically for it.

The article also doesn't go into the number of cases where the victim seemed to be chased by someone before disappearing.
Many were on the phone and speaking to someone and indicated that they may be in trouble. Some were found without shoes, cell phone and some were found with odd things like "shirt being inside out" etc.....

Also, now that the smiley face deal has gotten so much publicity, it wouldn't surprise me if they stopped using a smiley face.

I live in Mpls,and I was a senior at the UofM when Chris Jenkins disappeared.I do not believe he committed suicide or was the victim of an accident.I believe that Chris was murdered.

Amien-I agree with you.Each case must be validated on its own merit.We can construct different scenarios based on information,and a psychological profile of the victim.

I respect Paul Schuman Moore's father and his perceptions on how his son died. However, do we know Paul wrote the letter himself ? And how did he snap the pool cover back on if his hands and feet were duct taped? There are too many unanswered questions about his death in my opinion.

I respect Paul Schuman Moore's father and his perceptions on how his son died. However, do we know Paul wrote the letter himself ? And how did he snap the pool cover back on if his hands and feet were duct taped? There are too many unanswered questions about his death in my opinion.

I agree with your line of thinking here. Personally,I think Wade Steffey(found in a utility room on campus) and Jon Lacina's(found in a dairy pavilion on campus)deaths are related to all the others,as well as PSM. Whoever is responsible is really good at covering it all up and making it look accidental. It's scary knowing that we are going to continue reading about these young men disappearing and then turning up in lakes/rivers. More and more people are starting to become aware of the idea that the cases(as a whole) point to a POSSIBLE serial killer.

IDK how to edit my last post but I want to point out that do not think it is just ONE person responsible for all these cases....it could be a group..who the heck knows.
Seems like there's been more than a few times where 3 young men will all go missing within the same week but different states such as Sly McCurry,WI(1/17/10),Eric Peterson,MN(1/19/10),and Jon Lacina,IA(1/22/10).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back