The Duggar Family: 18 Kids & Counting

They seem to be wonderful parents and great examples.....it would be a shame if she was not around to be a mom for those 18 that are still at home and really need a mom to care for them. There should be a point when a serious health crises tells one....the risk is too great, especially now when there is such a fragile new baby to care for. Hopefully God will grant them a blessing of NOT adding any more risk to either the mom or any new babies.

jmo of course

They seem to be wonderful parents and great examples.....it would be a shame if she was not around to be a mom for those 18 that are still at home and really need a mom to care for them. There should be a point when a serious health crises tells one....the risk is too great, especially now when there is such a fragile new baby to care for. Hopefully God will grant them a blessing of NOT adding any more risk to either the mom or any new babies.

jmo of course

Well if everybody left it up to God, the world would be way more overpopulated than it already is.

Well if everybody left it up to God, the world would be way more overpopulated than it already is.

Oh....I am not recommending it for everyone, but this family truly believes in what they live, and I am certainly not going to say that I know better. I could never do what they do, but commend their ability to live their lives as they have chosen. Thankfully, few people choose to do so, and have different values and goals. I commend their choices, also.

Goodness, I saw the update and thought, "Oh, she's pregnant again." I really don't want her to be pregnant again. I think they'll need to devote more time and energy into raising Josie, and I would worry about both Michelle and a new baby if there was another pregnancy.

It's just so upsetting to me to hear/see people saying they hope she quits having kids, it needs to stop, they have more than they need, etc etc. These folks are obviously well equipped to take on what they feel and many of us feel the job that God has given them. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but good grief, it's not you having or raising the kids. The Duggers obviously love being parents and I give them kudos. I wish I could have had more kids but God felt 6 was enough for me.

It's just so upsetting to me to hear/see people saying they hope she quits having kids, it needs to stop, they have more than they need, etc etc. These folks are obviously well equipped to take on what they feel and many of us feel the job that God has given them. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but good grief, it's not you having or raising the kids. The Duggers obviously love being parents and I give them kudos. I wish I could have had more kids but God felt 6 was enough for me.

Duggar's last baby was very premature because Mrs. Duggar had preeclampsia, she is over 40, and I shudder to think what shape her body could be in after having so many children. She already had 3 c-sections, I believe. Would any doctor say it is safe for her to get pregnant considering all of the above? If she gets pregnant again, then I am not so sure that outcome is going to be any better than with her last pregnancy, and it could very well be worse. The risks of genetic abnormalities go up if the woman is over 40, and Duggars aren't doing any tests to see if the fetus carries diseases. So, pardon me if I am one of the people who think this woman should have stopped having these kids a long time ago.

Ummm... They already almost lost 1 little one, who will most likely have issues the rest of her life...

Besides, Michelle doesn't "parent". She only cares for a child until it is weened, then it is passed off to one of the older children to raise. She has admitted this more than once.

If you have the means to support, both financially and emotionally, dozens of kids, then good for you. Have as many as you want. But, to force your other children to pay for YOUR choices is not being a "parent" it's being selfish.

Ummm... They already almost lost 1 little one, who will most likely have issues the rest of her life...

Besides, Michelle doesn't "parent". She only cares for a child until it is weened, then it is passed off to one of the older children to raise. She has admitted this more than once.

If you have the means to support, both financially and emotionally, dozens of kids, then good for you. Have as many as you want. But, to force your other children to pay for YOUR choices is not being a "parent" it's being selfish.

I disagree, Being selfish is having children and tossing them in daycare at 6 weeks of age. Selfish is being too lazy to teach your children some responsibility and commitment to family.....choosing instead to raise children devoid of any and all responsibility and instilling in them the ridiculous notion the world revolves around them.

There is NOTHING wrong with having older children help care for their younger siblings and contribute to the family in a meaningful way by doing chores.

I disagree, Being selfish is having children and tossing them in daycare at 6 weeks of age. Selfish is being too lazy to teach your children some responsibility and commitment to family.....choosing instead to raise children devoid of any and all responsibility and instilling in them the ridiculous notion the world revolves around them.

There is NOTHING wrong with having older children help care for their younger siblings and contribute to the family in a meaningful way by doing chores.

I completely disagree with your opinion that "being selfish is having children and tossing them in a daycare at 6 weeks of age." Some people are not financially able to have a stay-at-home-parent in their household and have no choice but to work to support their families. If that's their only option, they should be supported and respected for it - NOT criticized and called names like selfish for making the best choice for their particular family situation!

Having the older children "help" is one thing... Doing what the Duggars do it totally different. The older children take on the FULL care of the younger children as soon as they are weaned. Michelle has said this MANY times.

Michelle seems to be the one with the rediculous notion that the world revolves around HER. She doesn't seem to have children so much as she has staff. The kids clean, cook, tend the babies, do the yard work, etc. What do you EVER see Michelle do?

Just look at what the youngest kids do when they are upset... You will NEVER see them run to Michelle for comfort. On rare occasion they do go to JimBob, but 99% of the time they young ones will runs crying to the older siblings.

Besides, they show little to NO regaurd for the health & well being of little Josie... The Dr's told them that Josie should have as little stimulation (in terms of lights & lound noise) when she 1st came home... What did JimBob do!?!?!

He honked the car horn like a jerk, non-stop, to summon the older kids to mob little Josie on her 1st minute home.

...and try to tell me that the only reason they are thinking about allowing the older girls to take nursing classes is so that Josie will not have a live in staff of nurses...

But the Duggar kids are not "helping" care for their siblings. They are raising them. I've watched the show. I bet some of those kids will not want any children of their own. They've been there, done that.

But the Duggar kids are not "helping" care for their siblings. They are raising them. I've watched the show. I bet some of those kids will not want any children of their own. They've been there, done that.

I could be wrong, but I thought they were just "Helpers?" Much like a "buddy system."

From Wikipedia:

"The Duggars raise their children using a buddy system, in which an older sibling is assigned to a younger sibling and assists in their primary care. According to Michelle, "They help them with their little [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonics"]phonics[/ame] lessons and games during the day and help them practice their music lessons. They will play with them or help them pick out the color of their outfit that they want to wear that day and just all of those types of things.""

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_Kids_and_Counting[/ame]

Respectfully bolded by me.

From Wikipedia:

"The Duggars raise their children using a buddy system, in which an older sibling is assigned to a younger sibling and assists in their primary care. According to Michelle, "They help them with their little phonics lessons and games during the day and help them practice their music lessons. They will play with them or help them pick out the color of their outfit that they want to wear that day and just all of those types of things.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_Kids_and_Counting

Respectfully bolded by me.

Have you actually watched the show?
"Either way, at six months the baby is handed off to a 'buddy,' who is responsible for his or her care. This system is allegedly just the big kids lending a hand, but listen to Michelle explain how the big buddy gets the little ones up, dresses them, feeds them their meals, and supervises their homeschooling, baths, and bedtime. Then watch those little details, like Jackson clinging to Jana for comfort after he was lost in the airport (while his parents laugh blithely in the background) or Jennifer crying for Jill whenever she's upset. You can call it being a buddy all you want -- the truth of the matter is that those girls are parenting their little siblings (on top of running the household)."
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...ing-Examiner~y2010m3d12-All-About-the-Duggars

"Either way, at six months the baby is handed off to a 'buddy,' who is responsible for his or her care. This system is allegedly just the big kids lending a hand, but listen to Michelle explain how the big buddy gets the little ones up, dresses them, feeds them their meals, and supervises their homeschooling, baths, and bedtime. Then watch those little details, like Jackson clinging to Jana for comfort after he was lost in the airport (while his parents laugh blithely in the background) or Jennifer crying for Jill whenever she's upset. You can call it being a buddy all you want -- the truth of the matter is that those girls are parenting their little siblings (on top of running the household)."
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-233-Entertainment-Parenting-Examiner~y2010m3d12-All-About-the-Duggars

Yeah, I have seen the show quite a few times and I see nothing wrong with the way that she manages her household. Do you live with them? No. So neither of us truly knows what happens in that household when the cameras are turned off. We only see a SLIVER of their lives.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...ing-Examiner~y2010m3d12-All-About-the-Duggars

Like it or not, that's the way it typically works in well functioning large families. Oh and just because Michelle can take a more supervisory role at this point in time, when it come to managing chores, doesn't mean she's doing nothing. And just because you tune into a television show doesn't mean you are privy to every aspect of their lives.

I see nothing wrong with a child seeking comfort from a sibling. What I find frightening is people whose raise more than one child and sees no problem with sibling rivalry, siblings beating each other up, the petty jealously, etc.... I've seen parents just toss their hands in the air, like that sort of behavior is acceptable and unavoidable. I've got news for them...it isn't.

Wherever the notion came from that children should simply run amuck with zero responsibilities is beyond me. I have, however, suffered the consequences of such "child raising" everytime I set foot outside my home..... I am surrounded by the stupid, self centered, selfish and incompetent.

The Duggar children are wonderful, thoughtful, considerate, helpful human beings and will be an asset to any community regardless if they each have their own large family. Isn't that the entire point of raising a family?

If a person can't parent well, why do it at all?

If little Josie does suffer some disabilities, can you possibly think of a better place for her to be? I can't. She will be loved and well cared for.

Yeah, I have seen the show quite a few times and I see nothing wrong with the way that she manages her household. Do you live with them? No. So neither of us truly knows what happens in that household when the cameras are turned off. We only see a SLIVER of their lives.

Sorry, but the SECOND you agree to put your life on television for the world to see, you have opened yourself up for judgement.

...and I don't kniw where some of you are getting that I am saying that kids should have ZERO responsibility. I am just saying that it is NOT the job of the older kids to have to raise their siblings.

The older kids did not choose to have a million babies; that was all Michelle & JimBob.

Let's look at this another way; let's say that the older girls all decided to have babies out of wedlock. Does that mean that Michelle & JimBob should have to raise & care for 20 grandkids? No. I don't think so.

If you are "mature" enough to have a child then you should be responsible for the care of that child.

The older kids deserve a life outside of being slave labor.

I fail to see how the arguement about sending kids to daycare is valid. Some people just don't have the option to have 1 parent stay home. But, I would be willing to bet that most of the kids who do go to a daycare STILL get more quality 1-on-1 time with their parents than the little Duggars get with their mother.

To say that the kids are well behaved is great. They do seem to be. But, I fail to see how that makes Michelle's selfishness any less.

I am SURE that the Pearl's kids probably seem really well behaved, too, but I would never condone beating children with sticks, just because it seems to work for them.

Besides, the lovely people of the state of Arkansas are the ones paying for the children. JimBob's 1 run in state senate provides him and his entire brood with free health care.

...and if ANYONE saw the "happy mother's day" videos from the older girls to Michelle it might change your views as Michelle as the Blessed Mother. The girls never so much as cracked a smile and they looked miserable.

Like it or not, that's the way it typically works in well functioning large families. Oh and just because Michelle can take a more supervisory role at this point in time, when it come to managing chores, doesn't mean she's doing nothing. And just because you tune into a television show doesn't mean you are privy to every aspect of their lives.

I see nothing wrong with a child seeking comfort from a sibling. What I find frightening is people whose raise more than one child and sees no problem with sibling rivalry, siblings beating each other up, the petty jealously, etc.... I've seen parents just toss their hands in the air, like that sort of behavior is acceptable and unavoidable. I've got news for them...it isn't.

Wherever the notion came from that children should simply run amuck with zero responsibilities is beyond me. I have, however, suffered the consequences of such "child raising" everytime I set foot outside my home..... I am surrounded by the stupid, self centered, selfish and incompetent.

The Duggar children are wonderful, thoughtful, considerate, helpful human beings and will be an asset to any community regardless if they each have their own large family. Isn't that the entire point of raising a family?

If a person can't parent well, why do it at all?

If little Josie does suffer some disabilities, can you possibly think of a better place for her to be? I can't. She will be loved and well cared for.

Tell me, what do you think the job prospects are for these "wonderful, thoughtful, considerate, helpful human beings?" Especially the females.
They have not gone to school, they have been home schooled. Would they be able to go to college, have a career in case they so desire? Does it occur to you that maybe not everyone of them would want to have their own super-sized family.

I think we have to remember that this is reality tv and it is edited. So we're really not seeing the whole story.

[respectfully snipped for brevity]

I fail to see how the arguement about sending kids to daycare is valid. Some people just don't have the option to have 1 parent stay home. But, I would be willing to bet that most of the kids who do go to a daycare STILL get more quality 1-on-1 time with their parents than the little Duggars get with their mother.

[snipped]

Besides, the lovely people of the state of Arkansas are the ones paying for the children. JimBob's 1 run in state senate provides him and his entire brood with free health care.

Seriously, you don't live with them so you have really no insight into their lives besides what is shown on television. Each show is filmed in 4-5 days, so you're only getting a PEEK into their lives. You have no idea what happens around their household the other 95% of their lives!

By the way, JimBob was not a Senator in Arkansas, he was a member of the House of Representatives. As far as I can tell, the state of Arkansas does not pay for health care for former House members. It is interesting how you imply that the people of the state of Arkansas are paying for the childrens' healthcare, yet I have seen multiple times that the Duggar's are not receiving any governmental support and that they achieved financial security by commercial investments, a car dealership, and their TV show and are so financially secure that they do not have any debt. That's pretty impressive, if you ask me. Besides, the PEOPLE of Arkansas voted JimBob in to office KNOWING he had a very large brood, so your argument about them paying for the family's healthcare is, quite frankly, moot. If they didn't want him in office, they never would have voted him in in the first place. He didn't hide the size of his family from anyone. LOL

"The Duggars do not depend on government resources and are held up as a role model by the Quiverfull movement. They believe in their choices, but acknowledge that everyone is entitled to an opinion.

“Only one person can live the life that I live, and that is me,” says Michelle Duggar."

http://spotlight.vitals.com/2010/02...ge-families-like-the-duggars’-unsafe-for-mom/

While I do not believe in the Quiverfull movement, I do feel that every one has a choice to live the life that they would like to live. This happens to work for the Duggar's. Who are you to judge them?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back