IL - Krystal Tobias, 9, & Laura Hobbs, 8, found dead in Zion park, 8 May 2005 - #2

CHICAGO —
DNA evidence found on one of two northeastern Illinois girls killed in 2005 has been linked to someone other than the man charged in the killings, Lake County prosecutors said Tuesday.

Jerry Hobbs, 39, of Zion, has been held without bail since the stabbing deaths of his 8-year-old daughter, Laura Hobbs, and her 9-year-old friend, Krystal Tobias, in May 2005. He pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder.

On Tuesday, Lake County Deputy State's Attorney Jeffrey Pavletic said a DNA sample found on Laura Hobbs was linked to another man in police custody.

full article at link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-girlsdead-dna,0,6360551.story

Interesting they have DNA from someone else 'in police custody' but will not release any information on this someone else, including what kind of criminal past this someone else has. Hmmm..... :banghead:

DNA found on one of two young Zion girls murdered in 2005 has been linked to a man jailed outside of Illinois — not to the father charged in Lake County with fatally stabbing his daughter and her friend.

The new DNA match disclosed Tuesday by Lake County prosecutors is prompting a complete review of the murder charges pending against Jerry Hobbs III for the Mother’s Day stabbings of his 8-year-old daughter, Laura, and her friend, 9-year-old Krystal Tobias.

<snip>

Authorities wouldn&#8217;t comment on whether the DNA &#8212; collected from semen found on one of the girl&#8217;s body &#8212; could lead to the charges against Hobbs being dismissed or to someone else being charged with the slayings.

&#8220;We&#8217;re in the infancy of looking at this new development. It would be premature to speculate,&#8221; Pavletic said.

But a defense attorney said the DNA ultimately should clear the 39-year-old Hobbs of the murders.

<snip>

A DNA sample found on Laura Hobbs was linked on June 25 to another man in police custody &#8212; though authorities wouldn&#8217;t identify the man or disclose where he was jailed. But law enforcement officials, however, said the man is in custody outside of Illinois for a sex crime and is a member of the military.

full article at link:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2469268,zion-girls-killings-dna-puzzle-070610.article

My memory was correct.

Jerry Hobbs &#8212; who had been released from a Texas prison less than a month earlier after serving time for threatening neighbors with a chain saw &#8212; discovered their bodies a day later in nearby Beulah Park.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2469268,zion-girls-killings-dna-puzzle-070610.article

also from the above link:

In 2008, defense attorneys tried to win Hobbs&#8217; release from jail on bond, in part citing DNA evidence taken from Laura Hobbs that didn&#8217;t match her father.
Prosecutors, though, successfully opposed that effort. Arguing that the amount of semen found was too miniscule to have come from sexual activity, prosecutors argued Laura could have picked it up while playing in the park &#8212; a site where they said sexual trysts sometimes occurred.
Autopsies found no indication that the girls had been sexually assaulted, prosecutors noted during that hearing. A judge ultimately refused to set bond for Hobbs, who remains jailed.

What are the odds a child is going to pick up semen while playing in a park? That sounds like a lame excuse from the prosecutors side to not admit perhaps they had the wrong man.

I learnt in a local citizens police class, DuPage just won a conviction based on 8 semen being found in a childs panties. No one called that miniscule. I wonder where this DNA was located on Laura Hobbs and what relation this "other jailed person for sex crimes who is in the military" has to these two children.

A lot more to consider here, and a lot of catch up reading for me on this case.
Sounds like this might be another Riley Fox situation here.

<snip>

It was August 2007 when defense attorneys learned of evidence that showed semen from an unknown man was found at the scene.

Hobbs' attorneys have argued for years DNA evidence was not linked to their client, but Pavletic countered: "It's not unusual to have some unrelated DNA evidence in a case like this. It is not necessarily a case breaker."

<snip>

Years ago, authorities said people had sex in the woods where the girls were found. Authorities theorize Laura Hobbs could have had contact with the DNA evidence there, and it doesn't necessarily mean the man whose DNA matched committed the murders

full article at link:

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/zion.murders.suspect.2.1790098.html

again, I will ask. How likely is it that children will pick up semen from playing outside? Sounds like a hinky argument to me unless they can tie this person to these girls. Maybe a family member where the child could have come in contact with semen on clothing from a clothes hamper? I dunno, still seems far stretched imo to find semen on a murdered child in the manner in which the prosecution is trying to explain how it got on the child.

JMO

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...-new-suspect-in-slaying-of-girls-in-zion.html

from the above link:

The girls went missing on May 8, 2005. The girls were found beaten and bloodied, lying together with their shoes neatly placed next to them in Beulah Park in Zion.

I wonder if the shoes being neatly placed next to them kind of ties to the possible military perp. Now I am thinking about the shoes found near Riley Fox and how those shoes had the perps initials written into them and LE never caught onto that..........

Also from the above link:

( Keith Grant, an assistant public defender in Lake County)
Grant said he knew of no connection between the new suspect and Hobbs.

Not that it doesn't mean there is no connection between JH and the 'new suspect'.

FWIW Zion isn't far from the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

23 minutes driving time and 10.78 miles according to mapquest driving directions.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1pn=Gr...S&2l=42.446098&2g=-87.832802&2v=CITY#initPgSt

That is a GREAT point! Ugh, I am sick to my stomach. Really, Illinois is such a disappointment - we vote in the biggest loser fraud con artists for politicians, we have such ego driven power hungry people who ONLY want to be elected and will strive at nothing to put away an innocent person to acheive their own personal success and privy to silence the public... ugh..;puke and gag. I will read more tomorrow... but this is gonna be interesting.

I never knew that about Riley Fox with the initials... can you elaborate?? TIA!

That is a GREAT point! Ugh, I am sick to my stomach. Really, Illinois is such a disappointment - we vote in the biggest loser fraud con artists for politicians, we have such ego driven power hungry people who ONLY want to be elected and will strive at nothing to put away an innocent person to acheive their own personal success and privy to silence the public... ugh..;puke and gag. I will read more tomorrow... but this is gonna be interesting.

I never knew that about Riley Fox with the initials... can you elaborate?? TIA!

BBM. Just that it was pointed out the perps shoes were found near Riley and he had written his initials in the shoes. That was a sign the perp might be a former prisoner according to Kathleen Zellner, the atty representing Riley's father.

I stand corrected, the perp wrote his last name Eby in the shoes.
It was in this link:
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/riley.fox.murder.2.1754373.html

in this thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105563&highlight=Riley+Fox&page=2

The above info is what made me think the shoes placed neatley next to the two girls stood out. And more so because that might be a habit of someone in the military, as the DNA found on Laura Hobbs is linked to someone incarcerated and in the military.

I wonder if this person with the DNA - was ever at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center....
and the beaches in that area are pretty popular. I'm not from the immediate area, but I have never heard about people having sex in the woods there, especially during the day on mothers day.

This seemed to be a family friendly place according to earlier news clips and posts.
Unfortunately many of the links no longer work , but what was snipped was interesting.

hth - JMO

Another news link.

from the link:

A small piece of DNA evidence was found on Laura Hobbs. A couple years ago, it was determined the samples did not match Jerry Hobb's DNA. After it was entered into a federal database, on June 25, prosecutors founs out it matched an out-of-state prisoner.

<snip>

Attorney Kathleen Zellner, who has had several clients cleared through DNA, says she believes prosecutors should drop the charges against Hobbs immediately.

"When you have a confession, you must corroborate it. You've got to have crime scene evidence that fits what the person is telling you. DNA is obviously a deal-breaker," Zellner said.

<snip>

Despite the lack of any physical evidence connecting him to the crime.....

full article at link:
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7539960

So evidently there was never any physical evidence connecting Hobbs to the crime, just his confession after 20 hours of interrogation. It would be interesting to know if Hobbs confession matched the crime scene..

JMO

I live 2 miles from Beulah park and pass by it daily. The area is not completely remote, there's many homes and businesses around it and it's close to a busy street. The bike trail where the girls where found runs through a large undeveloped ravine, just North of Beulah park. This ravine is kind of known as a local hangout for teenagers to party because it's 'hidden' from roads and secluded. Also, many homeless people have been seen living in the ravine, as well. Lake Michigan and beaches are nearby, but not accessible to the ravine and park. If the perp if not the dad, and possibly traveled from Great Lakes in a car, there really isn't anywhere to park near the ravine that wouldn't have been noticed by others. There is a metra train somewhat nearby, about 2 1/2 miles away, but the perp would have had to walk down a main, and busy street.

Hope this helps some. :)

MOO.

Thank you EziliGede.I often think of teenage party spots as something that occurs in the evening, but that is not always necessarily true. Especially near woods. Though this crime occured on mothers day, so I'm thinking on mothers day there were likely families using the park, and people were likely with their mom.... not all but a good majority. It is hard for me to imagine a group of teens finding a way to get away during the day on Moms day to party.

Of course that doesn't mean your other possibilities aren't feasible.....

Thank you for the 'local' info. That is always good to know in a case.

JMO

ZION, Ill. (CBS) &#8213;

New evidence in the horrifying murder of two young girls could exonerate the father of one of the victims, who has been jailed on murder charges for five years, and lead to the arrest another suspect--a Marine under arrest for other crimes in Virginia.

<snip>

Sources say that investigation centers on DNA found on the Laura's body, which matches another man, Jorge Torrez.

Hobbs appeared in court Wednesday for a status hearing before Lake Court Judge Fred Foreman. At the hearing, prosecutors pointed out that DNA evidence pointing to another suspect had been found on Laura's body, and that a match for the DNA had been found on June 25.

They declined to say whom the DNA belonged to, or name Torrez.

<snip>

Defense attorneys also declined to comment on Torrez or identify him, saying their focus is on Hobbs.

<snip>

Torrez, who is a U.S. Marine, was arrested recently in Arlington Va., on abduction, robbery and sexual assault charges. He was charged in two separate instances in which he used a handgun to rob, abduct or force himself upon his female victims, police said.

<snip>

The Chicago Tribune reported that investigators had spoken with Torrez's family in Zion. The paper reported that Torrez and Krystal Tobias' older brother were friends at the time of the murders.

Full article at link:

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/hobbs.murder.suspect.2.1791857.html

WOW! So, if true, Torrez can be tied to both girls........

WAUKEGAN, Ill. —
A judge says a man charged in the 2005 killings of two northeastern Illinois girls will remain in jail for at least two more weeks.

That's despite the recent discovery that DNA evidence from the scene matches another man.

<snip>

On Wednesday Circuit Judge Fred Foreman set a July 21 hearing date. Prosecutors say they need more time to investigate.

full article at link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-girlsdead-hobbs,0,3247031.story

WAUKEGAN, Ill. —
A judge says a man charged in the 2005 killings of two northeastern Illinois girls will remain in jail for at least two more weeks.

That's despite the recent discovery that DNA evidence from the scene matches another man.

<snip>

On Wednesday Circuit Judge Fred Foreman set a July 21 hearing date. Prosecutors say they need more time to investigate.

full article at link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-girlsdead-hobbs,0,3247031.story

Oh Wow - I am SHOCKED!!! This is pretty outrageous being that they want to hold him at least "two more weeks" -- WHY??? So they can cover their own arses??? Cubby you know just as well as I do how this works here in Illinois - I am disgusted. So many mistakes and typically made over the win of "public opinion" -- etc.. and other things...

And another.

Marine Charged in Second Arlington Attack

<snip>

Torrez was indicted on 14 charges regarding this incident, including abduction with intent to defile, rape, forcible sodomy, robbery, and six counts of the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

snipped for copy right. Short article but lists Torrez at 21 as of the date this article was printed.

full article at link:
http://www.news8.net/news/stories/0610/749576.html

I agree NSC. More and more of these coerced false confessions are becoming almost daily news in IL. Very disgusting and embarrasing! Scary!

I don't know enough to know why they couldn't release him until the next hearing.

I really think the prosecution has NO CHOICE but to drop the charges against Hobbs.
ESPECIALLY with the news this Torrez can be tied to the two murder victims.

Ok, I can handle being humiliated by a baseball team, I really can, but when it is our very own LE making this many mistakes it is not funny. It becomes beyond humiliating, it is mortifying! :( eeks!

JMO

It is sad to think the average person immediately bought Hobbs was guilty based on his criminal history.

Looking like another botched case in Illinois.

I'm pretty sure we can see where this is headed.

Hanging my head in shame as an IL resident. :(

I've been following this case too, it is so sad that Hobbs continues to sit in jail. Just another reason I can't get behind the DP. Too many innocent people sitting in jail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back