WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbDnbCoroR8

View the attached image. Note the vehicle with the yellow arrow above it.

Watch the video in FULL SCREEN mode and STARE only at that vehicles driver's side window.

As MC walks in to the parking lot, the driver's side window lowers.

I know many posters here have commented on that vehicle but ...

Was the person sitting in that vehicles driver's seat identified?

Thank you, I brought that up the day the video came out...It has always concerned me....

Thank you, I brought that up the day the video came out...It has always concerned me....

It has always concerned me that I've never been able to see the window roll down no matter how MANY xs I've looked at the video since it was first released..I also don't see the "yellow arrow" in this video posted either..Does anyone else have this same PROBLEM or is it just me? :banghead:

The attack sequence listed in the AMW article:
  1. Beaten
  2. Stabbed
  3. Strangled
Wenatchee World's original report included that MC was stabbed in the neck.

SPECULATION FOLLOWS:

MC might have picked up a hitch hiker, who claimed to need a ride to the park or boat ramp.

Once there, they both exited the vehicle. The perp might have asked MC to call a phone number for him, to have a someone pick him up there. The owner of the number might have been known or unknown to the perp, but that is of no consequence because having MC make phone calls was simply a distraction.

The perp beats MC but, not enough to cause permanent damage but enough to instill great fear.

The perp forces MC back in to the vehicle, the perp drives,

The perp drives away from Wenatchee, to Crescent Bar, looking for a place to rape MC.

They arrive to the property at 156 Crescent Bar.

The perp attempts a sexual attack but MC fights back.

MC runs from the vehicle and around the house, attempting to attract attention.

No one answers, because the house is unoccupied.

MC attempts to escape into the house through a window by breaking it, getting glass shards in her hair as she climbed through the window.

The perp catches up with her and they struggle but MC escapes to the outside and runs toward the duck blind, just running.

The per catches up to her, pulls a weapon from his jacket pocket and stabs MC in the neck, possibly in other areas.

MC drops to the ground and the perp drops down and strangles her.

The per then drags MC's body to the river bank.

Remember: speculation only

The perp stabbed MC in the neck, but it wasn't a quick-kill wound.

MC might have pulled the weapon from her neck and threw it, probably away from the struggle scene in or near the "duck blind" and toward the river.

The perp, unable to locate the weapon then strangled MC

I was just telling someone the other day I thought she may have managed to run from her 'killer' & now I see this theory posted..IIRC, it's not one that's been mentioned before unless I missed it?

I don't buy the hitch hiker scenario tho only cos I believe (hope!) she had more sense then to pick one up..It's been years now since that's been an acceptable practice unless not so much in the WA area? But I would find that hard to believe especially since it's a part of the country known for an exceptionally high # of kidnappings/rapes/murders/serial killers.

It has always concerned me that I've never been able to see the window roll down no matter how MANY xs I've looked at the video since it was first released..I also don't see the "yellow arrow" in this video posted either..Does anyone else have this same PROBLEM or is it just me? :banghead:

The yellow arrow is on the thumbnail photos posted below the video. The arrow shows which car to look at when the video plays. I can tell the window is up at the beginning and is down at some point, and you can see movement in the car. It could just be someone smoking in the car or it could be something more....:waitasec:

The yellow arrow is on the thumbnail photos posted below the video. The arrow shows which car to look at when the video plays. I can tell the window is up at the beginning and is down at some point, and you can see movement in the car. It could just be someone smoking in the car or it could be something more....:waitasec:

I FINALLY see it! TY!!!
:woohoo:

I didn't notice the thumbnail photos :loser:

If they ever catch the perp then maybe we'll find out whether or not it was "something more"..I have a feeling that won't be any time soon IF at all & that really ticks me OFF! :banghead:

Was the person sitting in that vehicles driver's seat identified?

I paid alot of attention to the car with the window rolling down back when it came to light. Someone speculated that is was a VW Golf car. But later, I studied the proximity of the unsub car to Mackenzie. The security cam is elevated very high, looking down on the parking lot. The person in the car in question has no line-of-sight to Mackenzie. This is probably one of the worst locations to stalk Mackenzie and her car.

Furthermore, unless there was some event in the security cam timeline beyond what LE has allowed us to see. I now believe this video has very little to do with Mackenzie's murder except establishing that MC left school.

I came across Mackenzie's case while monitoring the LB case. Both are the most frustrating I have ever come across.

Hi, amysmom,

I suspect you did not notice the attached picture ... which is separate from the video.

I placed a 'yellow arrow' immediately over the window of the vehicle on the attached picture .. to provide a guide where to watch while playing the video.

Be sure to watch the video FULL SCREEN and never take your eyes off that vehicles window ... you will see it darken as the window is lowered. If you continue watching through the entire video you will see pixel changes (separate from video compression artifacts) that indicate movement inside and possibly outside of the window opening.

I paid alot of attention to the car with the window rolling down back when it came to light. Someone speculated that is was a VW Golf car. But later, I studied the proximity of the unsub car to Mackenzie. The security cam is elevated very high, looking down on the parking lot. The person in the car in question has no line-of-sight to Mackenzie. This is probably one of the worst locations to stalk Mackenzie and her car.

Furthermore, unless there was some event in the security cam timeline beyond what LE has allowed us to see. I now believe this video has very little to do with Mackenzie's murder except establishing that MC left school.

I came across Mackenzie's case while monitoring the LB case. Both are the most frustrating I have ever come across.

Actually, I believe the person sitting in that vehicle had line-of-sight to the rear of the Academy ... there is an alley behind that row of buildings, the parking lot proper is positioned along that alley, which would place that vehicle approximately 15 - 20 feet from the rear of the buildings.

I suspect one could draw a hypotenuse line from vehicles driver's window to where MC exited the rear of the Academy ... one would not have to wait until someone was in the parking lot ... that person could have witnessed MC in that alley before she would step foot in to the parking lot.

As for the surveillance cameras ... if the person in the vehicle knew of the cameras, and if that person had an accomplice ... the person need only make a cell phone call to whomever, instead of outright following MC from the lot.

It has been speculated that the 6 phone calls could have been a signal indicating MC was 'on her way' ... did MC definitely have her phone with her when she left the Academy? Was it MC whom texted the 'boyfriend'?

I agree ... the MC case and the LB case are quite frustrating. No joy in the LB case either, even after there seemed to be significant progress.

And, so it goes.

I must be blind..(I will look at the video again) Have you noticed that they never seem to have the jail population available...you are supposed to call for information. Makes me wonder...???????

Hi, I am new to the case, but have been reading through the many threads. I had a few questions maybe some of you could help me with. I read somewhere that her cell phone dialed a number several times that was thought to be misdialed.

Could the right number have been dialed trying to reach someone she knew at that household?
Didn't MC's boyfriend have a friend who also worked at the same retail store, and didn't the friend live at that household?
Did MC and her BF's friend know each other?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before.

I saw this posted on another forum, but didn't know if I could post it. Please let me know if I may.

"The 884 number Mackenzie called 6 times also just happens to belong to a family whose 20-something year old son also works at the SAME retail store as Mackenzie's boyfriend. To an idiot this might not be an OBVIOUS connection, but it definitely is a connection."

Hi, I am new to the case, but have been reading through the many threads. I had a few questions maybe some of you could help me with. I read somewhere that her cell phone dialed a number several times that was thought to be misdialed.

Could the right number have been dialed trying to reach someone she knew at that household?
Didn't MC's boyfriend have a friend who also worked at the same retail store, and didn't the friend live at that household?
Did MC and her BF's friend know each other?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before.

Welcome, Soul125,

Your question:

It is possible but review some 'facts', below:

Fact: A phone number was dialed from MC's LG env cell phone minutes after she left the Academy of Hair Design parking lot in her Pontiac Grand Prix.

Fact: The phone number, as dialed, is a landline # and traces to a family living in East Wenatchee. LE interviewed members of the family and have, at least publicly, accepted the family's claiming they did not know MC.

Fact: LE believes the phone number might have been a misdial, based on the above fact.

Rumor: The son in that family supposedly works/ed at the same business as did/does MC's boyfriend.

Mentioned as speculation only, no rumors: It is possible MC and her BF's friend knew each other but there is no evidence, nor rumor. If the son did/does indeed work at the same business as did/does MC's boyfriend that certainly is cause for further investigation but to date LE has not publicly mentioned any connection.

I hope that helps ...

There is much speculation as to who was friends with who. I think that's an important line of inquiry. Example: On February 13th, the Wenatchee World wrote that LE had gotten warrants to obtain Mackenzie's Facebook and MySpace info and on "other social network sites" http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/13/police-will-analyze-teens-phone-records/?online I noticed that, at the time of her murder, Mackenzie had 104 Facebook friends, which dropped overnight, to 103, with the first news of her murder. the number is now 99, as of yesterday. I think LE is watching closely to see who disappears and where they turn up next.

Personally, I don't buy that she misdialed the Sheriff's office phone number. Would she really know that number by heart? I've lived in my home (and this area) for well over 5 years, and I don't know the number for LE. Oh wait! Yes, I do . . . it is 9-1-1. My guess is that if she saw something, or needed help, she would have dialed that number instead.

I remember hearing though, that she had a business card from one of the douglas county police officers. (Another poster on here had also received a card from this officer.) Maybe she had the card because she was gathering info for the police department (long shot i know) and whoever she was going to nark on got wind of it and took her out.

Also, if you are using your cell, it is better/faster to have the local police number plugged in. Otherwise your call is sent to some switching station and you have to answer a lot of questions before they figure out what police department you need to be in touch with.

Salem

PS - at least that is the way it works where I live.

yesterday: 10C10430 ASSIST AGENCY 23:41:11 09/14/10 HARRIS MIKE ACT

WENATCHEE POLICE DEPT,

5 WPD AND 1 CCSO UNIT ENRT WALLA WALLA TO PICK UP HIGH RISK FELON

AND RETURN - THREE VEHICLES IN THE CONVOY

Walla Walla is a park in Wenatchee
I always hope this type of call means one of the perps has been

I always hope this type of call means they nabbed one of Makenzie's killers. "Walla Walla" for anyone out of the area, is a park in Wenatchee.

10C10430 ASSIST AGENCY 23:41:11 09/14/10 HARRIS MIKE ACT

WENATCHEE POLICE DEPT,

5 WPD AND 1 CCSO UNIT ENRT WALLA WALLA TO PICK UP HIGH RISK FELON

AND RETURN - THREE VEHICLES IN THE CONVOY

There was 3

Strangulation, and stab wound to the neck
with BFT as a signifigant contributor to her death

There was 3

Strangulation, and stab wound to the neck
with BFT as a signifigant contributor to her death

Poor thing. Could this have been a woman driving this murder with a man helping. Some type of jealousy and rage?

No sexual assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member