CO CO - Oakey 'Al' Kite, 53, Aurora, 22 May 2004

Bumping for Al...anything new on this???

I'm sorry, I don't have anything new on Mr. Kite's case, but it has become one of my top five most frustrating cases ever.

The only things I would add to this thread are these:

The Denver Post has a "Cold Cases" blog which featured Mr. Kite's murder here:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2009/02/08/man-posing-as-renter-tortures-kills-homeowner/

Also, there is an early case involving the murder of an unidentified girl in New Jersey that reminded me of the way Mr. Kite was killed. The girl's murder happened over 2 decades ago, but it just makes me wonder if there is any possible connection between her killer and Mr. Kite's. Here is a link to the FBI.gov page for her case:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seekinfo/janedoenj.htm

I just did some more searching and found a thread on a message board related to Unsolved Mysteries, which featured the Mike Emert (realtor in Washington) murder. Someone posted in the thread that they contacted the investigator in charge of Al Kite's case to ask about any connection to Emert's case -- the detective replied that it was decided there was no connection. Here is the link to the thread I'm referring to:

Mike Emert - Similar Case - Sitcoms Online Message Boards

I know I said I was emailing Kirk Mitchell from Denver Post a few months ago and now I honestly cannot recall if I did or not. So, I emailed him today and included all the links, the similaries between CR and RC, etc, so hopefully I will hear from him!

This is another case that also haunts me as I am an Aurora native. I know the area where this happened well. I hope you hear from Kirk Mitchell. Please let me know if there is anything I can do since I am local.

I have been deeply involved in sleuthing a crime that took place in Omaha on 3-13-08 that is discussed under 'Omaha Double Murder' in the Crimes in the News section.
For what it is worth, I have been told by sources that LE has looked into a possible link between that crime and Al's murder. My take is that altho there are some things in common, that the Kite murder was apparently for financial gain while money was left untouched in the Omaha killings.
Some of the posters on this thread have participated in the other one. Maybe some of you could venture an opinion on this?

I used to sell real estate in Central Florida. (Years ago.) I am vaguely remembering being told by LE that a man with a CANE and a fake accent was luring lone realtors. I also recall, (vaguely) that there is another cold case of this type...realtor/murdered. I'm thinking this perp guy is from Florida, um Boynton Beach, or something. He told me his name was "John Cooper," when he tried to lure me to a property in Florida that he hoped to buy (very deserted, commercial building.) I said he must come in, and he said he couldn't but would meet me at the property. I took my boyfriend, at the time with me....Buyer never showed, or called again. Still, it was really odd, because the guy Fed-Exed me about 30 packs of chewing gum. Seriously, WAY strange. There was more, but I hesitate to print it here.

I used to sell real estate in Central Florida. (Years ago.) I am vaguely remembering being told by LE that a man with a CANE and a fake accent was luring lone realtors. I also recall, (vaguely) that there is another cold case of this type...realtor/murdered. I'm thinking this perp guy is from Florida, um Boynton Beach, or something. He told me his name was "John Cooper," when he tried to lure me to a property in Florida that he hoped to buy (very deserted, commercial building.) I said he must come in, and he said he couldn't but would meet me at the property. I took my boyfriend, at the time with me....Buyer never showed, or called again. Still, it was really odd, because the guy Fed-Exed me about 30 packs of chewing gum. Seriously, WAY strange. There was more, but I hesitate to print it here.

I too tried real estate for awhile. I was very young and had heard of realtors being murdered while showing a house. I always brought my father or husband with me.

Anyhoo...bumping for Al!

:waitasec:I do recall asking a friend of mine to check this person out, after receiving the Fed Ex package and all that weird chewing gum stuff. I am vaguely remembering that this guy did NOT check out...as per his return address, and all. I'm going to contact my PI friend, and ask him if he remembers. Hopefully, he will still have the file...as I have always had to pay him. ;p
It's just that name "John COOPER" that stuck out about this one. And I recall when he phoned our real estate office, you could hear dogs barking in the background, as well as a baby. Ya just never know, anymore. Glad to be annonymous these days.:waitasec::waitasec:

This happened to me in hmm 1999. Yep. Summertime.

I can't remeber but I think it might have been Coral Springs return address....
I remember my PI went down there, and found out there wasn't anyone who fit that discription living at that address...but will contact him for clarity.

I have been deeply involved in sleuthing a crime that took place in Omaha on 3-13-08 that is discussed under 'Omaha Double Murder' in the Crimes in the News section.
For what it is worth, I have been told by sources that LE has looked into a possible link between that crime and Al's murder. My take is that altho there are some things in common, that the Kite murder was apparently for financial gain while money was left untouched in the Omaha killings.
Some of the posters on this thread have participated in the other one. Maybe some of you could venture an opinion on this?

Hi Snick - I am pretty familiar with both of these cases. I don't post often on the Omaha Double Murder thread too often however I have kept up with it over the last couple of years. It is interesting to hear LE may have looked into the possibility of both crimes being connected - the thought had never crossed my mind before.

Personally, I don't really see the connection. The POI's don't really match and the crime's themselves are not really congruent either. Al's killer stole from him and was brazen enough to go to an ATM to withdraw Al's money, Al's killer took a lot of time with Al - tying him up, beating him, stabbing him and essentially torturing him, it seems pretty likely Al knew his killer considering LE thinks the man who was renting a room from AL is responsible for his death. In the case of the double homicide of Thomas and Shirlee it appears like it was a pretty quick 'in and out' job (one similarity between them is all three victims were stabbed), there is no evidence (that I am aware of) that they knew their killer and finally the killer did not take anything from the house.

I wonder if there is something LE knows that we don't which has led them to think there may be a connection? Thomas and Shirlee's killer left the murder weapon, correct?

Hi Snick - I am pretty familiar with both of these cases. I don't post often on the Omaha Double Murder thread too often however I have kept up with it over the last couple of years. It is interesting to hear LE may have looked into the possibility of both crimes being connected - the thought had never crossed my mind before.

Personally, I don't really see the connection. The POI's don't really match and the crime's themselves are not really congruent either. Al's killer stole from him and was brazen enough to go to an ATM to withdraw Al's money, Al's killer took a lot of time with Al - tying him up, beating him, stabbing him and essentially torturing him, it seems pretty likely Al knew his killer considering LE thinks the man who was renting a room from AL is responsible for his death. In the case of the double homicide of Thomas and Shirlee it appears like it was a pretty quick 'in and out' job (one similarity between them is all three victims were stabbed), there is no evidence (that I am aware of) that they knew their killer and finally the killer did not take anything from the house.

I wonder if there is something LE knows that we don't which has led them to think there may be a connection? Thomas and Shirlee's killer left the murder weapon, correct?

Correct. There is some question as to if he left knives brought in or used knives taken from the kitchen. My guess would be the former. The knives were left in the victims' throats.
I also doubt any connection. Currently those of us on the other thread are focusing on a connection to the Omaha crime with the Flint stabber arrested earlier this month- he is a dead ringer for the composite of the POI. I had been told that Omaha police were looking at a Kite connection due to the fact that the Omaha killer, like this one, just left and faded away and seemed to possibly be a travelling serial killer.

Thanks so much for replying to this case.

That story you told just sent chills down my arms. I doubt it was a coincidence that this man tried to lure you, escpecially since he, too, had a cane and fake accent. Have you thought about contacting the police with your information? And so, if I am correct, he just fed-exed you 30 packs of chewing gum... did it have some sort of symbolic meaning, did you tell him you enjoyed chewing gum? :waitasec:

Such a strange case, I wonder how 'thick' the accent was? I would assume it was a fake accent, it's much easier to fake a really thick accent than a genuine lightly accented voice.

Being an Aurora native, I really wonder what brought this suspect to that city. I mean Aurora is kind of an out of the way place, mostly suburban shopping malls, neighborhoods and families. It's not really a place that someone would say, "You're traveling to Colorado? Make sure you make it to Aurora!" lol.

I wonder did he just pick it at random? Was he there for work or just a drifter? Did he have family there? Worse yet, does he live there?

These probably have nothing to do with each other but at the very least it's interesting in their many similarities. I hope you can read my glarbed mess of a post, be kind to it- I started typing wayyyy past my bedtime. :)

http://iowacoldcases.org/dorothy_miller.html

Dorthy Miller
Dorthy Miller was a real estate agent found murdered in a home she was showing in 1969 to a potential client named "Robert Clark". This was not a random case of murder- this homicide showed sophistication, planning, and execution.

Robert Clark had a well thought out story about who he was, where he was from and why he would like to look for a house.

The killer likely took pictures during or after the attack.

The killer didn't strike right away. Dorthy & her husband had met him the day before the murder, and the next day he asked to see the house again so he could take "pictures" for his wife. Dorthy then felt comfortable with him and went alone to meet him.

Dorthy was first hit from behind with a brick & then bound. She was stabbed once in the neck and 21 times in the back. She was raped.

The killer took the time to make sure the windows and doors were locked before he left.

The killer took her car from the crime scene and parked it a few blocks away.
He left the keys in the ignition.

At the time of the murder, police called in a criminal profiler who believed it was the work of a methodical serial killer.

The killer was described as being 5'11" tall and 175lbs, with dark brown hair.
The killer was a young man. 17-25

Al Kite
Al Kite met a prospective "tenant" named Robert Cooper.

Cooper has a very real narrative as to why he needed a room.

Cooper shows interest in anyone who may give him a room.

Al Kite was hit on the back of the head, bound with cord, and then stabbed 20+ times.

Cooper took Mr.Kite's car from the crime scene and parked it about a block and a half way.

The decription given is a dark headed male 5'10" and in his 40's to 50's. The composites are also close.

In both the homicides, robbery was not the motivation for the crime.
In both homicides, There's Robert Cooper and Robert Clark.
Both crimes were sophisticated and well thought out.
In both crimes the killer moved the victims car and left it within a few blocks of the crime scene.
In both homicides the victims were 1st hit from behind on the head with a blunt force object.
They were both bound.
Dorthy was stabbed 21 times while Al Kite was also stabbed 20+ times.

In the 1969 case the perpatrator was young. 17-25 if you go with he was 18at the time, he would have been 53 at the time of Al Kites murder.
One suspect is 5'10" the other is 5'11", both have dark hair and weigh between 170-175lbs.
They believed it was a serial killing in 1969 and Al Kite's murderer appears to be someone very calculating, with much experience.

Anyhoo- Just the rambling thoughts of a brain that should be asleep.

Attachments

• dorothy-miller-suspect-sketch.jpg
    dorothy-miller-suspect-sketch.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 105
Could very possibly be the same person, interesting that both of ther suspect's names is Robert.

I had read that at one point in his life that Al Kite had worked as an Accounting Systems Manager at Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

Is it possible that he was tortured to reveal information such as maybe a home address of an employee? Could his murder be national security related? His killer was obviously a professional and it's not unheard of for former Soviet Bloc intelligence agents or special forces to "freelance" for some not so nice people. Maybe the accent was real.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back