IL IL - Dermot Kelly, 16, Oglesby, Jan 1972

Good observation about the dental work of this John Doe,

I just think that the estimated age is too far off for it to resemble a match. Dermot was between 16-17 years of age, and this unidentified victim is estimated between 30-45 years of age. Discovery estimated two years after his death. Probably a good 10-15 years too old for a match. What do you all think?

Satch

ok...I must be losing my mind at last. When I looked at this UID the other day, the age range began at 20 yoa AND there were younger reconstructions in addition to the older ones now showing...wth???

Cubby, is this not so?

Bumping this thread to help anybody that might have some updates. Thank you!

Satch

I'm still curious to know if Cubby also saw the differently aged reconstructions & the wider age range that were initially posted at that above link. I looked at it several times before doenetwork changed it & just want to confirm that I didn't imagine it! Fair enough if it has been decided if the UID was older than previously thought...I just wanna know :p

I just sent my mom a message asking her to find a copy of that article somebody wanted. She works in inter-library loans at a college and her job is find things like that. since there's a title, author and date, it shouldn't be too hard to find. May take a few days to be sent, though. I'll let y'all know what she says.

OK, you know how I had seen young AND old reconstructions of the UID I had originally posted?? Well, I ran across this the other day:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1485umil.html

Those are the exact same younger version photos that were in the 1974 find, as depicted in my original post. :waitasec:

They look like the same guy to me.

They do look quite similar. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a mixup in the original postings.

OK, you know how I had seen young AND old reconstructions of the UID I had originally posted?? Well, I ran across this the other day:

Those are the exact same younger version photos that were in the 1974 find, as depicted in my original post. :waitasec:

They look like the same guy to me.

If you open them and look at them next to each other you'll see they are in fact two different UID's. I believe they look so incredibly similiar because they were likely done by the same artist. If you open them side by side you can see subtle differences in the depth of the eye sockets and eyebrows.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1436umil.html

If you open them and look at them next to each other you'll see they are in fact two different UID's. I believe they look so incredibly similiar because they were likely done by the same artist. If you open them side by side you can see subtle differences in the depth of the eye sockets and eyebrows.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1436umil.html

The nose is also somewhat different, and the older guy's chin a bit more prominent. But they look enough alike to be related, don't they?

Attachments

• 1436UMIL.jpg
    1436UMIL.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 1485UMIL.jpg
    1485UMIL.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1485UMIL1.jpg
    1485UMIL1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 42
  • 1436UMIL2.jpg
    1436UMIL2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 43
there was a mix up with sending the article to my email. I have it, but the form its in now will not let me easily copy it to paste here, so tomorrow I plan on printing it, scanning it and putting it in something like photobucket,,, unless somebody knows a better way.

I will go ahead and post some things that was in the article. "Three days before he left home, Dermot told his parents, 'I'm going to make a new life on my own and do it entirely on my own.' He did not explain himself further. They did not press him. But later, his words would tell them much more."
"...on Jan 30 1972, Dermot took a .22 caliber rifle, slipped on a jacket over his blue jeans and shirt, and told his dad he was going out in the nearby woods for target practice. His father chided him to be sure and wear warm boots and the youth left. That was the last they saw of him..."
the dad describes Dermot as quiet, "aloof" and "rebellion was brewing" against the ills of society. no drugs, no alcohol, was in no kind of trouble.
There is a part II to all this article, so I'll go ahead and order it. I promise not to be as slow.
Dermot seemed the philosophical type to me. I can see him going off the grid, maybe to Alaska.

I will go ahead and post some things that was in the article. "Three days before he left home, Dermot told his parents, 'I'm going to make a new life on my own and do it entirely on my own.' He did not explain himself further. They did not press him. But later, his words would tell them much more."
"...on Jan 30 1972, Dermot took a .22 caliber rifle, slipped on a jacket over his blue jeans and shirt, and told his dad he was going out in the nearby woods for target practice. His father chided him to be sure and wear warm boots and the youth left. That was the last they saw of him..."
the dad describes Dermot as quiet, "aloof" and "rebellion was brewing" against the ills of society. no drugs, no alcohol, was in no kind of trouble.
There is a part II to all this article, so I'll go ahead and order it. I promise not to be as slow.
Dermot seemed the philosophical type to me. I can see him going off the grid, maybe to Alaska.

Thanks for this information!

Man, but it sure sounds like Dermot's family was aloof to his problems, or just plain did not care! That is very shocking and sad to me. It sounded like there could have been issues in the family for a very long time. Did the article go into more detail about Dermot's home life? relationship with his parents? Other family members?

It sounds like he had been planning to leave home for a very very long time and perhaps if his parents or friends could have gotten some help for him, he could have been "saved." with treatment.

There was also a poster who claimed that her mother was "Dermot's younger brother," and it "was a messy time in the family." I think Dermot's father had lost his job and she said that there may have been evidence of substance abuse and or physical abuse in the Kelly home. What a terrible and sad situation.

I think, now that we have this new information, it is really important to bring closure to this case in the hope that if Dermot is still alive that he will reach out to surviving family members. I heard that he only has one sister left who is still living. Can anyone confirm other past family members in Dermot's past who may still be around?

And sadly, if Dermot has passed on, there needs to be evidence of this to bring closure to this very sad case. I think what we had at the time was a very sad, confused, and angry young man. Perhaps social and family pressures got so intense for him, that he had no choice, but to leave.

Satch

While the excepts from the article above are ALL troubling, what sent chills and goosebumps down my spine was that it said Dermot left the house with a rifle. Now, maybe he really WAS going target practicing in the woods, but I really, seriously, doubt that.

I think that he might have taken the gun for protection over the long journey he knew was ahead of him. Or most horrible thought imaginable, and let's pray that he did NOT do what I am about to say could have happened. Take the gun and go off to some isolated location and commit suicide.

So many questions and so much pain for him. We know it was Winter, January on a Chicago afternoon that would almost certainly be cold. Much too cold in most cases for a young troubled boy to travel very far.

Did plan to meet a friend or acquaintance and than they drove off someplace in a car? Did Dermot have a car, and take his car on his own? Because of the cold and the uncomfortableness of having a rifle inside his jacket, could he have hitchhiked?

Thanks again for the article references! Still a lot of unanswered questions, but I learned some new things from it that may not have been known before for an almost forty-year old case.

Satch

Hey guys, I haven't forgotten to try & get that article in a viewable format. Its been a hectic week for me, I'm in the middle of an investigative report for my college paper, (as well as editing everybody else's stories), midterms, seminars, and going on little sleep.not to mention I'm attending a funeral tomorrow. My mother was supposed to scan it and resend it to me. I will remind her again tommorrow. I think the other article has arrived, so hopefully I can post both at the same time.
You will get to see it within another day or 2. If all else fails, I guess I can simply type it here word for word, if that's okay.(?) If I'm not allowed to retype it, I will get my digital media professor to show me what to do. I'm no computer wiz, but she is!
Don't be too upset with me!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire