GA - Zyda White, 2, beaten to death, 11yo charged, Sandy Springs, 18 Sept 2010

thinking outloud. How many 2 yr olds are sleeping on beds? What were the sleeping arrangements for this child? I'm thinking some two year olds are probably still in cribs if they have not yet learned how to climb out. Those climbers are in toddler beds, and if no toddler bed or playpen is available wouldn't one have the child sleep on a sleeping back on the floor?

Something is not fully right about this story as it has been portrayed. I'm interested in additional info as it becomes available.

jmo

Tapu you are so right - we make adults go through "preparedness drills" to react properly in certain situations but we just expect kids to handle things with no experience and no practice.

Regardless of who was supposed to be watching the child, there is something off about an 11 year old that beats a 2 year old to death isn't there? I wonder if there were signs that the 11 yo was the type to be out of control with anger. She obviously was angry and out of control or just mean. Either scenario is heartbreaking.

I just don't think we can expect every 11yo in a stressful situation to control his/her emotions. Having failed at that doesn't make this particular 11yo different from others. (Going just on what we read.) This particular 11yo was put in a situation that was far outside the scope of what she could handle. I still blame the parents and the parents only. (Until contradicting info is revealed.)

I just don't think we can expect every 11yo in a stressful situation to control his/her emotions. Having failed at that doesn't make this particular 11yo different from others. (Going just on what we read.) This particular 11yo was put in a situation that was far outside the scope of what she could handle. I still blame the parents and the parents only. (Until contradicting info is revealed.)

amen sister!

I have a ten year old daughter. She is very mature for her age and demonstrates responsible decision making. that said - I would never allow her to babysit even so. I agree with other posters on the following points:

1) an 11 year old is NOT old enough to be left in charge of the care of another child, particularly one who needs constant supervision such as a toddler.

2) Something seems off to me about the stories from all involved - at least from these inital reports/articles we've read. If the toddler's mom thought her co-worker (11 yr old's mom) was going to be present and in charge of the baby then why is the 11 year old being identified as the babysitter at all? Something hinky there.

3) as to sleeping arrangements - I think it is not uncommon for a toddler who is a houseguest to not have all the proper sleeping over equipment brought with it if the child does not regularly stay in that home. In that instances, I do not find it unusual that the 2 year old was on a bed (although that would be the last option I personally would choose). Perhaps a pallet made up on the floor would have been a better idea. Regardless, I do not think the baby's injuries are at all consitent with a fall from a bed so to me the bed - crib debate is irrelevant.

It would be interesting to know if the 11 year old CHILD even wanted to take sole care of the 2 year old? Was it just demanded? Was there to be any payment or reward for the child? Was there already seething resentment at being required to care for a 2 year old? DId this 11 year old CHILD have unmet needs? Was there abuse/neglect going on? It sure seems that leaving a 2 year old in the sole care of an 11 year old is endangeriing minors even under the most ideal circumstances. I'd guess the circumstances here were far far less than ideal.

Years ago when my sons were about 9 and 11, I considered having a third child. When I asked them what they thought, I was told with a dry sense of humour "fine, but we'll just kill it when you bring it home". Understand that they were kidding, we still laugh about that moment years ago, and they are fine citizens today and I am very proud of both of them. They rescue animals and one is a truly outstanding father. But that statement years ago was enough for me to shelve the idea forever. They seriously did NOT want to deal with a crying baby AT ALL. At their ages, who could blame them? They just wanted to play and have fun.

First I wasn't trying to start a 'crib debate'. My bringing up the point was to determine what sleeping arrangements were made for a toddler if the child was there until a time past the childs bed time. Whenever I had guests with small children, if they were too young for a regular bed they were either in one of those portable pack n plays or they slept on the floor on a comforter or something which was safely appropriate. My point being, a parent bringing a toddler to a baby sitters - regardless of the age of the baby sitter should ensure the child has safe and proper sleeping arrangements or left instructions........ So I do believe sleeping arrangements for a toddler needing to sleep at a sitters is relevent and imo points to what I see as a lack of making good choices for her childs well being and safety on the toddlers mothers part.

jmo

Sandy Springs police are conducting interviews and examining evidence from the autopsy. (from the link in the first post)

is it normal to lay charges before getting the autopsy report back?

I find it odd, even if the girl admitted guilt ...

OMG! OneLove, my husband and I were talking about having another baby a few years ago and my son, then 7, said something similar. He said if it was a girl he would kill it. Scarey to hear from a child, but we decided not to have another. I am glad your sons grew up to be fine adults. That comment from my youngest has always freaked me out, now I won't even think about it.

My daughter is 11 and I don't think I would ever let her babysit for someone else. Too much stuff happens these days, wouldn't put her in that position.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20017309-504083.html

September 22, 2010 4:13 PM

Ashlea Collier, Zeyda's mother, told CBS affiliate WGCL that she went to work Saturday evening and left her daughter at the apartment of one of her co-workers, Kiyosha Bell.

However, Bell says she was not home that evening and left her 11-year-old daughter in charge of babysitting the 2-year-old.

Thank you Kat. I'm glad to know it was for work.

worth the snippet again.

However, Bell says she was not home that evening and left her 11-year-old daughter in charge of babysitting the 2-year-old.

The above really sounds like it was the 11 yr olds mother who made the decision to leave the 11 yr old alone with the toddler and not the toddlers mother.

My apology for being as harsh as I was earlier on the toddlers mom, especially knowing this was for work.

Makes me sad to think she had to rely on a coworker - who may have made a bad choice of deciding to leave while her daughter was babysitting....

I wonder where the childs dad was, or even other family. however, some mothers don't have dads around or family around to help. It reminds me how fortunate I am as a single mom to have the support of my family, as my sons dad was absent by choice until our son was 4.

I wonder if the Mother of the 11 yr old child was at the home when the Mother of Zyda dropped her off?

In the article Zyda's Mom is saying she dropped her off at the home with the babysitter and her Mom.

The Mom of the 11 yr old is saying she wasn't home that night.

Need clarification on that before I can comment.

I worked night at restaurants, I got off way too late in the evening not to leave my child(ren) with an adult. I wouldnt' have left them with an 11 yr old anyway but that's besides the point. Rest in Peace baby girl.

(from Kat's link below)
Ashlea Collier, Zeyda's mother, told CBS affiliate WGCL that she went to work Saturday evening and left her daughter at the apartment of one of her co-workers, Kiyosha Bell.
Unfortunately, when they returned to the Dunwoody Pointe Apartments Zeyda was unconscious.
It really sounds to me like both of these women were at work at the same place at the same time. I'm a little uncomfortable not understanding how LE came to the conclusion so quickly that it was definitely the 11 yo who caused the fatal injuries. I mean, it could have been a visitor who the 11 yo had over --or even possibly one of the mothers. The story is so vague.

It really sounds to me like both of these women were at work at the same place at the same time. I'm a little uncomfortable not understanding how LE came to the conclusion so quickly that it was definitely the 11 yo who caused the fatal injuries. I mean, it could have been a visitor who the 11 yo had over --or even possibly one of the mothers. The story is so vague.

I think how you highligthed 'they' gave me the same impression. If both mothers were at work together that should be easy to confirm. I too wonder about the charges so quickly - against an 11 yr old and if she was in fact alone with this toddler the entire evening.

Anytime I read about charges against someone so young so quickly, my mind goes back to the 7 and 8 yr old boys charged with the murder of 11 yr old Ryan Harris. The city of Chicago ended up paying out 6.2 million for a wrongful arrest lawsuit and the perp who was convicted had left semen... we all know 7 & 8 yr old boys do not yet emit semen.... I'm still waiting exactly what evidence LE has to charge as 11 yr old so quickly....

I'm glad you posted this because my initial impression after reading the first article in the thread was that the 2 yr old and 11 yr olds mothers had gone out together. I'm going to say my hinky meter is still elevated they didn't go out together.... I'm going to wait until the above is confirmed from someone other than both childrens mothers.

I too baby sat for short periods of time, up to 2 hrs IIRC at 10 but only when adults were within a few hundred feet AND NEVER with anyone as young as 2. I was allowed to baby sit for kids which were a little older (preschool or 1st IIRC). IIRC it wasn't until I was closer to 13 I was allowed to watch a neighbors 2 yr old twins. AND all of the above was ONLY during the day.

I have to question who in their right mind would allow a 11 yr old to watch their 2 yr old during the evening. The 23 yr old mother had the right to ensure her childs safety - my apologies if that is harsh, but don't have kids if you can't take care of them. I would like to know if the mother was at work, or was she out hooping it up on a Sat night and couldn't be bothered to stay home on the weekends now that she is a parent. As an older single parent I can tell everyone my social life diminished incredibly when I chose to have and keep my child. I think it's a given when one becomes a parent, the night life should end. Even with an almost 8 yr old my nights out are few and far between, maybe a few times a year. I don't even allow a neighborhood 10 yr old to watch my son for a 10 min run a few blocks away to pick something up at 7-11.

JMO but I think BOTH the mother of the toddler and the 11 yr old should face some kind of charges here. I'd also like to know who else was in the home with the 11 yr old when this occured, IF anyone.

This poor baby. RIP Zyda, rest in the arms of the Lord the hurting and pain is over now.

MY BOLD

Well, if she were working the evening shift on a weekend, that would actually be a relatively easy babysitting shift to manage. At 2, she would still be going down early and sleeping for most of it. Perhaps that's where the problem arose; maybe the little one didn't go down easily that night and frustrated the 11 year-old into a murderous frenzy. But again, one wonders where the babysitter's mom was at that critical point.

We just haven't heard enough, but there is no amount of information that could ever adequately explain this tragedy to me.

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/baby-sitter-11-charged-with-murdering-2-year-old-girl/19644139

Updated: 4 hours 45 minutes ago

Bio Mom wants the 11 yr old to do life.

I'm withholding my opinions at this moment. I need to temper my response with a socially acceptable filter about this Mom and the Mother of the 11 yr old babysitter.

I just can't judge her too harshly right now. She's in shock, grieving. Her world has tilted and will never be set right. She's lashing out. I'd feel just the same, the rage, the horror, the impotent anger. From all I have read of this thus far, Mom left baby with an adult and an 11-year-old and went to work. Why Babysitter Mom left has not yet been clarified to me.

Such a sad story. There can be no good ending.

I have a sibling 4 years younger than me. We would be left alone in a room by our parents, which is how this may have occurred. I personally, if the mother was home, see nothing wrong with having the 11 year old "babysit" if her mother was around. It probably was a lesson of responsibility or whatever.

Let's put this 11 years of age into perspective. When I was 11 I was in 5th grade, but I had a late summer birthday. At that time I was learning the typical school stuff - math, history, etc. My point is, 11 sounds young to us but they are developed enough to know when they are hurting someone. I mean she is just a few years away from Jr High.

My sibling and I did NOT get along when we were kids, we would beat each other up all the time, but even when I was 6 and they were 2, I never ever ever would have even THOUGHT of beating my sibling to death. I would have known when too far was too far and I never even got close to that point.

I just had another thought - perhaps this girl was mimicking how she has seen her mom "punish" her?

11 year old is just to young to babysit.
Isn't there a law saying so?
Here in PA I think a child can not be left alone until atleast 12 years old.
So the babysitter was just to young!
Were any adults around at all????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus