GUILTY IN - Zuhur, 4, & Zakariya Hassan, 3, found dead in closet, Indianapolis, 19 Sept 2010

Here's what confuses me:

Did the thought not cross the mind of this *mother* that 10+ hours locked in a tiny closet might be not only extremely abusive but downright dangerous? Didn't this neighbor friend wonder where the children were (and who might be supervising them) during the 10+ hours?

My feeling is that it was probably a common occurrence for the *mother* to leave the children unattended while she hung out @ her neighbor's.

I certainly hope LE is investigating what exactly this so-called mother & her neighbor were doing from 6 a.m. til 4:20 p.m.

Maybe they were *cooking*.

This tragedy makes me angry & ill.

IMO, this a clear case of extreme neglect & child endangerment, and inexcusable child abuse.

As far as I'm concerned, she should be charged with negligent homicide.

ETA: Just because a person can breed, doesn't mean they're qualified to be a parent.

I feel so sad for those children.

This is an unspeakable tragedy. Completely and totally preventable. The neighbors who claimed *not to know who to call* should be charged with criminal negligence. These children should not have died. This family clearly needed intervention for quite some time prior to these deaths.

According to the above article, everyone wants privacy. Her family issued a statement....The family of Ebyan Farah is devasted and shocked by this tragedy. Ebyan Farah's husband, uncles, friends, and the community at large would like the media to respect their privacy.

The husband who is trying to get custody of the 3 children says, through his lawyer...The family of Bursan Hassan respectfully requests its privacy be respected during this difficult time of grieving and loss. We decline any additional comment. Prayers for all family members are appreciated. Thank you

Ebyan Farah lawyer's are demanding privacy.

So, with all this 'mind your own business' going around, who fights for these two little lost babies?

ITA! Incredible how their entire "village"* failed these children. Those who are in such great need of privacy should find a closet somewhere, secure the door with a bed, and spend the day there.

*ETA: Village as in "it takes a village."

According to the above article, everyone wants privacy. Her family issued a statement....The family of Ebyan Farah is devasted and shocked by this tragedy. Ebyan Farah's husband, uncles, friends, and the community at large would like the media to respect their privacy.

The husband who is trying to get custody of the 3 children says, through his lawyer...The family of Bursan Hassan respectfully requests its privacy be respected during this difficult time of grieving and loss. We decline any additional comment. Prayers for all family members are appreciated. Thank you

Respectfully snipped and bbm.

I would like a new house for Christmas. I doubt I will get one.

Your comments are not necessary. In this case, it appears that the remains of two dead babies will speak for your Community
. The Community who insists that their privacy be respected must remember that in the US (and Canada), the suspicious deaths of two children trump privacy - regardless of which village you come from.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/22/national/main6891045.shtml

Authorities were called to the two-story apartment at Manchester Village Apartments about four hours after Farah said she returned and found the two bodies.

The report said a family friend had grown concerned that Farah was "acting strangely" and would not allow anyone into the apartment for hours after she returned.

The report said the wife of that friend - the woman Farah had visited with - called Farah's uncle to the complex and that when the uncle looked into an open door in the apartment he saw what appeared to be a dead child on a couch.

When that man tried to call the emergency dispatcher, Farah allegedly grabbed his phone and threw it. He retrieved the phone and held Farah while the family friend called for assistance, the report said.

Too bad this *friend* didn't bother to wonder about the well-being of the children for 10+ hours while Farah was doing whatever it was she was doing while visiting her friend at her apartment.

Oh - but they want their *privacy*.

Privacy is one thing. Secrecy is another.

ETA: IMO, secrecy (under the guise of privacy) is one of the factors that led to this tragedy while everyone just seemed to watch it unfold, claiming "I didn't know who to call."

I bet they want their *privacy*.

Who knows what else authorities might discover if they start digging. I hope they do.

Unfortunately, I think there will be very little news on this story. Her lawyers were right on top of this case and warned the press against sensationalism. They requested a gag order and the community has closed ranks.

If there was no money for food, how does this woman afford such efficient lawyers. In the legal world 'good' usually equals 'expensive' and Ms Faher has 3 good lawyers. :waitasec:

This case reminds me quite a bit of the gang rape case in AZ where the perps,west Africans?, oldest 14 youngest around 9 or so IIRC, lured an 8 year old with some gum and went to town on her. Her parents made statements to the media that she was complicit in the crime and that they were ashamed of her. The community asked for privacy. All of the participants had come from camps before they made it here. The girl was returned to her family but then taken away when she was beaten.

The community felt they were being culturally descriminated against-Until the president of the country they immigrated from made a statement condeming the crime in no uncertain terms.

We have to integrate these communities-BUT they have to be willing to be integrated. I get that their countries are war torn and in chaos. But look at the price these kids are paying-just one death or destructive act is too much.

This article was posted Sept 22...

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25115052/detail.html

Indianapolis police Lt. Jeff Duhamell said the circumstances of the case were the worst he had seen in 28 years of police work.

"The bottom line is, animals are treated better than that," he said.

snip...

But the neighbor said he became worried when Ebyan Farah's husband, Burhan Hassan, left about a month ago to visit their home country of Somalia, leaving his wife to care for the five children by herself.

"She had her hands full, she really did," he said. "I wish she would have asked anybody (for help). I wish she would have asked me."

I could find no new articles for the past 24 hours. Is anyone local hearing if the gag order has been granted?

The yard, on the apartment's west side, offers no shade from the afternoon sun. Kline's 13-year-old son, Shawn, recalled tossing the children a water bottle and them passing it around and drinking eagerly.

This quote from that article has been haunting me all day. It hurts my heart so much.

ITA! Incredible how their entire "village"* failed these children. Those who are in such great need of privacy should find a closet somewhere, secure the door with a bed, and spend the day there.

*ETA: Village as in "it takes a village."

Believe, I wouldn't say you were wrong or jumping to conclusions. How many times have we read here about something similar and it was drugs? I just put in my two cents about the civil war as I can see that playing a part in somebody losing their dang mind.

However, now we hear the kids are malnourished. Mom didn't eat either. Ummmmmmmm, and what she was on a diet? Did dad eat? Where did the food money go or the food stamps if they had any?

Mom put the kids in the closet while she cooked. I think tlcox is on to something there.

Dad split for back home. This is nothing new according to the surviving children so I would think the father knew these kids were locked out, locked in, barricaded, needed to be tossed a bottle of water out to the yard by a neighbor.

Privacy? If this woman was gone those entire 10 hours and was only next door at the neighbors I mean wouldn't the neighbor say "Where in God's green earth are your kids, lady?" That's a long, long time to leave your kids no matter what.

This is just my own thoughts, but the Somalian community are mad. They want privacy. I'd have to ask them then if it's common for all of them to lock their kids in closets or lock them outside in the heat for hours on end.It's understandable they would want to support eachother so far from home and all, but come on. Privacy, and ignorance just may have gotten those children where they ended up.

Still thinking the mom was mad the dad went back home to visit. Still wondering what you do for ten hours at the neighbors? Have coffee? Did she have a coffee cake too while she was there?

Somalian community they live in might want their privacy but too darn bad! They live here in the USA, we do not just sweep horror stories like this under the rug.If they do not like it they can all go back to their own country. I for 1 do not want people who would ignore abused children in my neighborhood.I might not be politically correct but it is how I feel.

Somalian community they live in might want their privacy but too darn bad! They live here in the USA, we do not just sweep horror stories like this under the rug.If they do not like it they can all go back to their own country. I for 1 do not want people who would ignore abused children in my neighborhood.I might not be politically correct but it is how I feel.

AMEN! The only privacy this woman should get, in my opinion, is solitary confinement in jail.

http://heraldbulletin.com/breakingnews/x1327128647/Calls-to-Indiana-s-child-abuse-hotline-on-increase-after-deaths-of-2-children

Calls to Indiana’s child-abuse hotline on increase after deaths of 2 children

Tragedy spikes the numbers. Calls to the hotline have dramatically increased since Sept. 19, when an Indianapolis mother of five was arrested and charged in the deaths of her 3-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter. Police said she admitted barricading the two children, along two of their siblings, in a 6-foot by 1½ -foot closet for 10 hours before leaving the home to visit a friend. Investigators said the two children who died were malnourished and likely suffocated.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100923/EDITORIAL/9230332

As awful as the story is, there is something that makes it even worse. Neighbors said this week that, in hindsight, there were signs of trouble in the family. But no one said anything to anybody, so Child Protective Services didn't know it should intervene. “I know a lot of people are concerned about becoming involved in someone else's business,” said Ann Houseworth of CPS, “but at the end of the day, these are all children. I think it's more important that we stand up and take action on behalf of these children rather than to live with the regret later.”

http://heraldbulletin.com/breakingn...otline-on-increase-after-deaths-of-2-children

Calls to Indiana’s child-abuse hotline on increase after deaths of 2 children

Tragedy spikes the numbers. Calls to the hotline have dramatically increased since Sept. 19, when an Indianapolis mother of five was arrested and charged in the deaths of her 3-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter. Police said she admitted barricading the two children, along two of their siblings, in a 6-foot by 1½ -foot closet for 10 hours before leaving the home to visit a friend. Investigators said the two children who died were malnourished and likely suffocated.

I guess this is the silver lining...

According to the above article...

The judge delayed ruling on issuing a gag order till Oct 6 but indicated that she was not leaning towards a gag order.

The judge also allowed the defendent to wear her traditional head garment during trial but not the rest of the clothing.

( the hijab does not cover the woman's face. example photo below)

hijab.jpg

Well, she may not be fit to stand trial now, but was she able to reason in the last month or so when she was locking her kids outside with no water in the blazing sun, and in the closet with a bed against the door? And not feeding them? Just wondering.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back