FL FL - Amy Billig, 17, Coconut Grove, 5 March 1974

I am totally convinced the answer lies with Johnson. I think he's "the one". So many things point to him.

I agree with you one this one. There are too many connections. My opinion is he wanted her to go and at the last minute she declined which sent him over the edge. He's an admitted OCD guy. LE probably could just not pin it down strongly enough for a conviction. As with other killers, he kept in touch with her mother to keep the "thrill" of the killing and in accordance with his OCD traits.

What were the results of the recent submissions to doe network, as posted above?

When my daughter was 19 she became involved with a very rough druggy crowd much older than she was. They ripped her off for everything she had and she contracted hepatitis. She was attacked by one of their dogs and required 27 stitches to sew up her arm. She would not come home. The police said there was nothing they could do unless I could figure out a way to set up a drug buy to bust them and get her away from them. This was an extreme measure I was very hesitant to take, because of all that could go wrong and because she would hate me forever. After about three months they ended up living in a seedy motel on the edge of town, planning on taking off for Memphis. I was terrified. Somehow a book called The Corpse Had a Familiar Face come into my possession. The book was written by a Miami journalist about her most interesting cases. One of the cases was about Amy Billig, how she was probably abducted by a motorcycle gang and how her heartbroken mother had searched the ends of the earth to find her. Although Amy's story did not have a happy ending I feel it may truly have saved my daughter's life. By reading the story I realized how serious the situation actually was and it gave me the courage to work with the DEA and get the group busted. My daughter spent a month in jail and almost didn't speak to me for ten years. In spite of her admitting that she probably would have died if I hadn't separated her from that gang when I did. We have now repaired our relationship, are very close, and I am the proud grandparent of twins born last May. I will always have a special place in my heart for Susan Billig and Amy. God bless them and may they rest in peace.

Very moving book and case.
However I think the Biker connection is a red herring in my opinion.
She was hitchhiking and she attracted the wrong car with the wrong driver and got in.
Her killer just dumped her somewhere where she wouldnt be found until nature took its course.
As strikingly beautiful as she was Im surprised she didnt have problems with weirdos before while hitchhiking...a dangerous habit for anyone,but especially for a young girl who looked like her.
I sincerely hope Amy and her Mother are together and at peace now.

bumping for amy, the anniversary of when she vanished just passed.

billig_amy6-1.jpg

I wonder if serial killer Gerard Stano has ever been looked at as the abductor of 17 year old Amy Billig from Coconut Grove, FL? She was last seen trying to get a ride to her dad's office on March 5, 1974. I have always felt like the motorcycle abduction theory is what people assumed happened, so other theories/suspects were discarded. I am reading I would find a girl walking, about gerald stano, and he has confessed that he killed over 40 women in the 70s and 80s, usually young girls who would be walking alone or hitch hiking, which Amy was. He would take them on a ride in his Plymouth Duster car, and drive with them for hrs before killing them, he used various methods because than cops would not connect the dots between victims as easy. He would dump the bodies in secluded areas and cover the with thicket bushes or branches. Not all of his victims were found, or even known, and being he did this all over FL, I wonder if Any was a victim too. Anyone know if he has ever been questioned in her disappearance? Or looked at as a suspect? How many other young girls did he kill that we don't know about????
www.freewebs.com/findamybillig
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-F...05088089544267

Here's an interesting news article on Amy's disappearance having to do with Paul Branch. It talks about his deathbed confession on what really happened to Amy. Some believe it is credible, others do not.
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AMY? BIKER'S DEATHBED TALE HOLDS KEYS TO FATE OF TEEN MISSING SINCE "74: [FINAL EDITION]
DANA CALVO Miami Bureau. Sun Sentinel [Fort Lauderdale] 26 Feb 1998: 1A.
Turn on hit highlighting for speaking browsers
Hide highlighting
Abstract (summary)
Translate [unavailable for this document]

Amy Billig is dead, Calvar said, taken by members of the Pagans' motorcycle gang, drugged, raped and murdered, her body dumped in the Everglades within hours of her abduction.

Calvar said the confession was made by Paul Branch, a Pagans' "enforcer" who died at his home near Charlottesville, Va., in December. As his life ebbed away, Branch, a convicted murderer, told his wife how Billig was grabbed off the street and taken to a "party" in the Everglades.

Branch had been interviewed by police over the years, but had never admitted to knowing what happened to Billig. But Calvar said Branch's deathbed confession included dozens of details consistent with information previously gathered by investigators.

Full Text

Translate [unavailable for this document]

Amy Billig's fate has been a mystery for 24 years. Now, police think they know what happened to her.

It was the afternoon of March 4, 1974, when the popular 17-year-old disappeared from a street near her Coconut Grove home. Since then, over more than two decades, the question of what happened to her has haunted investigators and family members alike.

Jack Calvar, the lead detective in a case that has never left the news for long, said on Wednesday he finally has some answers.

Amy Billig is dead, Calvar said, taken by members of the Pagans' motorcycle gang, drugged, raped and murdered, her body dumped in the Everglades within hours of her abduction.

It was the deathbed confession of a former gang member that finally shed light on one of South Florida's most enduring and heartbreaking mysteries.

Calvar said the confession was made by Paul Branch, a Pagans' "enforcer" who died at his home near Charlottesville, Va., in December. As his life ebbed away, Branch, a convicted murderer, told his wife how Billig was grabbed off the street and taken to a "party" in the Everglades.

But things went wrong, he said, and before the party ended she was dead.

Branch had been interviewed by police over the years, but had never admitted to knowing what happened to Billig. But Calvar said Branch's deathbed confession included dozens of details consistent with information previously gathered by investigators.

Billig's disappearance stunned, and changed forever, the free-wheeling, artsy neighborhood of Coconut Grove. It came to consume a small family whose matriarch spent years crisscrossing the country in the pursuit of leads that always turned into dead ends. Just last month, the British Broadcasting Corp. aired a documentary on Billig's disappearance, and her unidentified abductors were often the subject of the television program America's Most Wanted.

"It may be one of the lengthiest investigations we've had," said Ann Figueiras, spokeswoman for the FBI's Miami office. "It's covered so much ground without much evidence."

Based on hundreds of interviews and Branch's confession, Calvar said this is what he thinks happened 24 years ago:

Amy Billig, wearing a blouse, short denim skirt and cork-soled sandals, left her family's home early on the afternoon of March 4 and headed for her father's art gallery less than a mile away. A trusting free spirit, she probably was hitchhiking.

"Remember, it was 1974," Calvar said. "It wasn't quite as dangerous then as it is now. Back then, Coconut Grove was a very tightknit community. Everybody knew each other.

"Some people happened to see her standing on the corner," Calvar said. "More than likely she was trying to get a ride. Once in the car or van, it wouldn't have been too hard to control a 17-year-old girl with a bunch of guys."

Billig, a willowy young woman who weighed 102 pounds and stood 5 feet 5 inches tall, was taken to a Pagans' party in the Everglades. Calvar said the gang had a trailer-clubhouse there.

"She became insulting to some of the bikers," Calvar said. "You don't do that in those groups. That's when they started to teach her a lesson. Through the rape, she probably fought back, and that's why they kept pumping her with dope."

About two dozen gang members raped Billig as they controlled her with drugs, Calvar said. Finally, she had had too much. Her heart stopped.

Through with her, her tormentors dumped her in the swamp.

"We will never find a body," Calvar said.

The Pagans, who had chapters in Miami-Dade County and the Tampa-St. Petersburg area, were major dealers in drugs, guns and prostitutes in the 1970s.

Amy Billig's mother, Susan Billig, now a widow in her 70s, said on Wednesday she was aware of investigators' latest information, but would not comment.

"It's been a harrowing past few days," she said. "It's too painful to even talk about."

For years, Susan Billig was an indefatigable figure, hounding detectives to follow up on hundreds of leads. Repeatedly saying she believed her daughter to be alive, she traveled the country in response to tips that Amy had been kidnapped by a biker gang or was the victim of drug-induced brainwashing.

For 21 years, Susan Billig answered telephone calls from a man claiming to know where Amy was. He said Amy had been trained as a sex slave, and lured Susan Billig to bogus rendezvous points.

Finally, in 1995, authorities arrested U.S. Customs agent Henry Johnson Blair and charged him with three counts of aggravated stalking. He was convicted and in 1996 was sentenced to two years in prison.

Blair admitted he had never known anything about Amy's whereabouts.

Calvar said Branch's wife _ he would not give her name _ first told police of her husband's confession in December. He said she also mentioned the nickname of a man her husband said could help investigators. That nickname was familiar to Calvar. In 1978 and again in the mid-'80s, he was mentioned by witnesses as someone who might know what happened to Amy Billig.

On Wednesday, Calvar returned from Charlottesville, Va., where the man is serving a murder sentence. The man, incarcerated since May 1974, told Calvar he was not in Miami at the time of Billig's abduction.

Calvar said the convict gave unconvincing denials and produced the names of former bikers who he said might know more about the case.

Calvar said he plans to follow up on that information. He said the case of Amy Billig is still not closed.
Illustration

PHOTO; Caption: (color) Amy Billig was taken by members of the Pagans' motorcycle gang, drugged, raped and murdered, her body dumped in the Everglades within hours of her abduction, according to a former member of the gang, who police say confessed to his wife on his deathbed.

Copyright Sun-Sentinel Co. Feb 26, 1998
Word count: 965
Indexing (details)
Cite
Title
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO AMY? BIKER'S DEATHBED TALE HOLDS KEYS TO FATE OF TEEN MISSING SINCE "74: [FINAL Edition]
Author
DANA CALVO Miami Bureau
Publication title
Sun Sentinel

I'm one of the Biker Theory doubters.
Based more on the history of the area in which Amy disappeared than the circumstances of the case.

There is controversy over whether it was The Outlaws or The Pagans that were seen rumbling through town. If you read different accounts (watch different specials on Amy) you will find the two biker clubs used almost interchangably. Regardless, the guy whose "confession" was suppose to solve the case, was a Pagan.
The problem is, it is HIGHLY doubtful that there were Pagans in Central/South Florida at the time.
The Outlaws moved into Central/South Florida in '67-68. They overthrew The Warlocks, The Kingsmen and The Saints to gain control. They were on guard for any hostile groups moving into Florida. The Outlaws and The Pagans have never had a good relationship. For the Pagans to roll straight through Outlaw territory would have started a STORM at that time. (RICO was new and unused, so there was more open blood shed at the time) There would be much more than a mention of people "seeing them". It would have started a war that would have left a trail.

So, it stands to reason that if a biker took Amy, it would have been an Outlaw. (member of AOA) So, then how would Branch, (A Pagan) have known her? Much less "owned" her as he claimed?
The Outlaws have never had inter-club dealings with the Pagans.

The other problem is the Seattle story.
If Amy was taken by either The Pagans, or The Outlaws, what would she be doing in Washington? That is Hell's Angels territory. In the early 70's, the Angels ruled the west coast without opposition. Neither The Outlaws or The Pagans have ever set up shop in Washington. (or farther west than Oklahoma City) The only reason to go there would be to start a turf war.(which they know they would lose) They wouldn't be taking girls up there if that was the case. It's not how they operate.

E.T.A. - There was, however, a member of the AOA who was convicted as a serial killer for murders in '73 of young girls. However, he was not in Amy's region, and confessed to other murders, but not Amy's.

I believe, and it of course is just what I believe, that Henry Blair killed her, dumped her either in S. America or in Michigan, and somehow started the biker theory to throw them off.
The psycho called her mother over and over with fake info trying to throw them farther and farther off the track.

I also am very confused with the biker theory. She would have had to be traded amongst many different groups to get over to the Hell's Angels side in WA. I think one reason Amy's mother held onto the biker's theory is because of the sightings of Amy by a clerk at a grocery shop. She said the girl who came in bought some soup and was a vegetarian, as was Amy. I believe she was spotted with a biker guy, who called her "Mute" because she did not talk much.
There was also another detective, up on the East coast I believe who was undercover dealing with the bikers, and it sounded like the biker guy wanted to trade a girl name Mute over, but it never happened.
The biker theory seems like a wild goose chase because there are so many different stories about it, there are so many "sightings of Amy", and the common nicknames used as well. I think that is why Susan held onto this theory.
But this is what fascinates me about Amy's case-there are so many different theories and "accounts" of Amy.
One theory I have heard is the theory that Amy was taken by some bikers to a party, and that she was drugged and sexually assaulted, then thrown in the Everglades. I think this is more likely then them dragging her all over the US. These men see women as objects, so it would be nothing to them.
I have also wondered if she was a victim of serial killer Gerald Stano. He picked up teen girls hitch hiking and would assault and kill them in his car. He was out and about all over FL (especially on the eastern side of FL) in 1974, when Amy vanished. He was not arrested until 1980. Many doubt how credible his "confessions" are, but he knew things only the killer would have known. He taunted cops with the fact he killed more women then they knew of, some never found. I wondered if Amy was one of these girls.
And I have also wondered about Blair. Why would some random guy be so persistent with these calls? Why would he want to put Susan in so much pain? The journal entry is very creepy about him, I do wonder if Amy somehow knew him?
Anything is possible in Amy's case, it's so frustrating to think we may never know.

One theory I have heard is the theory that Amy was taken by some bikers to a party, and that she was drugged and sexually assaulted, then thrown in the Everglades. I think this is more likely then them dragging her all over the US. These men see women as objects, so it would be nothing to them.
er know.

I know most people in normal society abhor The Outlaws (the primary biker gang in Florida) but the truth is, stealing a girl to drug and rape really isn't their M.O. Before anyone screams, let me explain.

The Outlaws make some of their money in the sex trade, this is true, but not prostitution as a rule. They own strip clubs up and down both coasts of Florida, mainly bikini clubs where nudity isn't allowed and hard liquor isn't served. (keeping ATF out of the mix for the most part) The laws in Florida governing this type of activity (along with the warm weather) was one of the primary reasons The Outlaws came to Florida way back when.

I've actually tended bar in several of their clubs. The girls I worked with came and went as they pleased. Many times their was no one in the establishment from the club for days at a time.

Most of these girls who strip are what are known as Charlie Chasers (the Outlaw symbol is called Charlie after the enemy name in Vietnam) These girls willingly do anything they are asked to be close to the club. I watched two girls fist fight over the affections of one grubby, dirty, unkempt guy who showed zero interest in either of them. BUT, many of the guys are attractive and slick-talking... making them irresistible to the bad-boy loving girls.
(many of The Outlaws patch in as 18-19 year-olds)

They control these Charlie Chasers for profit, much like a pimp, but they do it in such a way that the girls make money too. (they keep their tips, but earn no pay) Most of these girls are very happy with the arrangement (earn money and be close to the club) and those who aren't are quickly kicked to the curb.
Unhappy Girls = Possible Snitches.
Would be easy for a girl to tell a sympathetic client they are in danger.
Kidnapping is just not their style. They let the girls come to them.

When I worked for them, in Florida, they were very professional in their business dealings. They paid me, in a business check, let me pick my schedule and treated me (as an outsider) with a fair amount of respect. (the younger ones called me ma'am) They never asked me to do anything besides my job. I was desperate for money at the time, and it would have been to their advantage to take advantage of that. They didn't, even though they trusted me enough to make orders, write checks for suppliers and take bank deposits.

I write to several of The Outlaws in prison. If they trust you, they are great sources of information since nothing happens in their territory without them knowing it.
The police in their main territories put a lot of crimes on The Outlaws out of public relations and pure laziness. It's easier to scare the public with "the big bad biker club" than tell them they have no suspects.

I am in NO WAY saying The Outlaws are innocent parties getting a bad rap.
Just that in no way do they fit the M.O. of Amy's disappearance.

Sorry this is so long.
I know I'm new and am probably posting too much, but I think it's important to look at some of the stories in a different light than has been shed by the media.

Just Cryssy,
Thank you for your post! I always like hearing different views because I think it stirs the pot a bit. I do think the biker gang theory was focused on too much, I think that hurt the investigation because it could have very well been someone outside of a biker gang.
I think they went with that theory because it was Biker Week in the town the day Amy vanished, and they got the most leads generated on that theory. But what a good cover up for someone to use!

Susan's book talks a lot about her investigation into the biker theory, though she was never able to get a straight answer or any definitive proof that she was roped into their world.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back