Aluminum Drinking Water Bottles Very Serious Danger

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
This is really serious. It was on our local news.

A little girl was drining from her aluminum water bottle in school and got her tongue stuck. Even her dad admits at first he thought it was funny when they called him. That is until he saw his DD.

This poor kid was taken to the hospital and then flown to DuPont. Her tongue swelled and could have blocked her airwaves. Her tongue was stuck in the grooves in the top. They had to cut the bottom off the bottle. Just awful.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/special_reports&id=7748011

BTW, she is O.K. now, but the dad wants the word out.

This is really serious. It was on our local news.

A little girl was drining from her aluminum water bottle in school and got her tongue stuck. Even her dad admits at first he thought it was funny when they called him. That is until he saw his DD.

This poor kid was taken to the hospital and then flown to DuPont. Her tongue swelled and could have blocked her airwaves. Her tongue was stuck in the grooves in the top. They had to cut the bottom off the bottle. Just awful.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/special_reports&id=7748011

BTW, she is O.K. now, but the dad wants the word out.

I guess that's why sippy cups were invented.

well, she is 6 - perhaps her parents should've considered her age when choosing a drink bottle - there are all kinds of plastic ones on the market for kids

Scary! I am glad the father is getting the word out, and I do not think there is any negligence on the parents' part in choosing an aluminum over a plastic water bottle for their 6 year old. There is nothing about aluminum that suggests adults only and this could happen to an adult as well (although probably just the tip of the tongue)

Scary! I am glad the father is getting the word out, and I do not think there is any negligence on the parents' part in choosing an aluminum over a plastic water bottle for their 6 year old. There is nothing about aluminum that suggests adults only and this could happen to an adult as well (although probably just the tip of the tongue)

I saw the pictures of the little girl's swollen tongue, and it was terribly swollen. I heard the arguments that the threads on the inside of the bottle were the culprits, as far as making it impossible for the little girl to remove her tongue. I don't think her parents are at fault at all for buying her this water bottle---I mean, who would've thought such a thing was even possible!

BUT, that little girl's tongue did not get sucked into that bottle by a vacuum effect. Her entire tongue was in the bottle! She had to have STUCK her tongue into the opening.......not saying it is her fault, just saying that I believe her youth led to her "playing around" and that I do not believe these bottles are dangerous when used properly.

I saw the pictures of the little girl's swollen tongue, and it was terribly swollen. I heard the arguments that the threads on the inside of the bottle were the culprits, as far as making it impossible for the little girl to remove her tongue. I don't think her parents are at fault at all for buying her this water bottle---I mean, who would've thought such a thing was even possible!

BUT, that little girl's tongue did not get sucked into that bottle by a vacuum effect. Her entire tongue was in the bottle! She had to have STUCK her tongue into the opening.......not saying it is her fault, just saying that I believe her youth led to her "playing around" and that I do not believe these bottles are dangerous when used properly.

Hey Go, that was in my area so they had all kinds of footage on this por little girl. Pretty little thing. Thank goodness she is O.K.

Definately have to agree the photos/video were hard to look at. Her airwaves could have been blocked.

Yes, she was probably playing around. I just disagree with the suggestion that her parents should have known that this could happen with an aluminum bottle vs a plastic bottle. With all of the information about toxic bottles being plastic, I would probably buy my child a "safer" aluminum bottle as well.

Yes, she was probably playing around. I just disagree with the suggestion that her parents should have known that this could happen with an aluminum bottle vs a plastic bottle. With all of the information about toxic bottles being plastic, I would probably buy my child a "safer" aluminum bottle as well.

I totally agree, Cypros. I have purchased multiple aluminum water bottles because I feel it is safer for me & mine, and safer for our environment.

Sounds like something I would have done at age 6.:innocent:

I have those same types of bottles. Mine came with 2 different tops, one has a clip for carrying (looks like what they showed she had) and the other top you screw it into the bottle and it is the spout that you drink from. We don't use the tops with the clips, only the drinking spout ones.

Sounds like something I would have done at age 6.:innocent:

Or anyone one of our kids. Thanking my lucky stars tonight. Remind me sometime to tell you all about the "eraser in the ear" story. Aye.

rofl Eraser in the ear! We had a candy "runt" up the nose incident here.

I'm glad she's okay. Poor little thing. I can't even imagine the teasing and mean things her classmates will come up with.

I too have always bought & used stainless steel water bottles, I hate plastic and avoid it at all costs. Just the feel of it gives me the willies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back