Willow and Bristol Palin post slurs and profanity on FB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? What do you mean WAD? "To Jew"?

"To Jew" someone is to burn them in a business deal, haggle them mercilessly or to screw money out of someone. I have personally heard this many times. True it may have been more common "in the past" but I have also heard young people use it.

My meaning here is that what may have seemed harmless slang was (and still is) incredibly endemic of something not so harmless.

How about when Obama was talking about his bowling game and he said, "It was like Special Olympics."

Would this dicussion be any different if, let's say.........

The young man who was called fat (in the FB comments) or Bristol for that matter (who weight was also referenced) became distraught by the comments because their weight is an issue and a struggle and either one committed suicide. Or if one of the persons called gay in the FB exchange REALLY was struggling with their identity and committed suicide?

Would we be saying 'oh it's just kids being kids'? It is our duty as parents to teach right from wrong and what is and is not acceptable in today's society. The dinosaur age is over. WE must be proactive and vigilant in teaching our young ones!

What you see is what you'll be. Stephen King's The Shining

MOO wm

There are people here at websleuths that call Bristol names and others that hit the "thanks" button in support of the comments.

this shouldnt have even made the news ect.. no one should be insulted no matter who you are .. gay or not .fat or not ect.. but fact is ppl are very mean behind a keyboard.. and in general the world is nothing like it once was where a neighbor would come down and lend a hand building a barn or take care of a sick neighbor ..

The young man who was called fat (in the FB comments) or Bristol for that matter (who weight was also referenced) became distraught by the comments because their weight is an issue and a struggle and either one committed suicide. Or if one of the persons called gay in the FB exchange REALLY was struggling with their identity and committed suicide?

Would we be saying 'oh it's just kids being kids'? It is our duty as parents to teach right from wrong and what is and is not acceptable in today's society. The dinosaur age is over. WE must be proactive and vigilant in teaching our young ones!

MOO wm

JMO but this is taking it a little too far. Trust me, the gay teens of America know this is slang. I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of them use it themselves.
We have a member that I talk to (argue with :smile:) daily in the Political Pavillion in the Sarah Palin thread downstairs. He is an openly gay liberal male. He posted a little while ago and I think you would be surprised by what he had to say about this issue. I know I was.

I really don't think we are disagreeing at all to be honest Cubby. I know the word gay has sexual meaning, my point was that the teens that are using it are not using it in a sexual meaning kind of way. They are using it to mean dumb or stupid. I agree that is very offensive. Especially to gay teens.
I hate it.

But when a slang word is used so much for so long with a complete different meaning, kids pick it up. Kinda like when someone works with a group of people who cuss all the time. Cuss words often slip because it is so common around you.

I was just trying to make the point of how common it is and how it is being
used.

I'm sure it's very hard for someone to understand if they are not around a lot
of teens.

JMO

I understand what you are saying but I still have to disagree. It is known those words are hurtful and they were used deliberately to be hurtful. Not in a million years would I believe the Palin daughters are unaware of the recent teenage suicides due to bullying against gays. They are well aware and chose these particular words anyway. when there were a number of other words they could have chosen.

I understand what you are saying but I still have to disagree. It is known those words are hurtful and they were used deliberately to be hurtful. Not in a million years would I believe the Palin daughters are unaware of the recent teenage suicides due to bullying against gays. They are well aware and chose these particular words anyway. when there were a number of other words they could have chosen.

Okie Dokie :smile:

MOO wm

I so agree with your premise here...The advent of FB, twitter, IM'ing, texting has removed true understanding of how words can hurt, offend or even drive someone to do something heinous, or drive them to hurt themselves.

Somehow the ability to hurl hateful, nastiness via a keyboard has desensitized our young folk to (some adults too ) and lack empathy, feelings and understanding.. It has become so arms length....that there is total ignorance of feelings..not to mention the ability to adhere to the old saying "Sticks and Stones".... For some reason there are is a lack of a "Brake System" when it comes to typing words of hate, anger or displeasure...thus extremes get typed and exposed to the world to see and read...

I just watched a court case where hateful, threatening texts became evidence of guilt and "State of Mind"..and the girl is going to spend most her life in prison..Such a sad case!! My point is for some reason young people find it difficult to discuss, defend or express themselves without cursing, threatening and demeaning the other person...I for one dont accept the saying "Well, thats progress, or Kids will be Kids"...Its time for cool heads to prevail....Yikes...OFF my soapbox...Sorry :eek:

How about when Obama was talking about his bowling game and he said, "It was like Special Olympics."

Friendly reminder. This is NOT the PP folks. This forum is in celebrity news. One of these daughters is on a reality show, and it is fair to discuss this in this area of the forum.

Please keep the political discussion in the PP forum where it belongs.

Thank you,
Cubby

"To Jew" someone is to burn them in a business deal, haggle them mercilessly or to screw money out of someone. I have personally heard this many times. True it may have been more common "in the past" but I have also heard young people use it.

My meaning here is that what may have seemed harmless slang was (and still is) incredibly endemic of something not so harmless.

O.K. I got ya, WAD. I wasn't sure about the "TO" part. That's an ethnic slur indeed. I have a friend who says "I'm a Jew who practices Judaism". Says it often enough in certain situations.

No doubt it's still common. It depends on who you hang with I guess. Slurs, slang can all lead to something else.

Not sure if this is even the place to bring this up but it has always befuddled me. My parents came up middle class from a largely German-American neighborhood. My dad more so my mom would be telling a story from youth and our mouths would just drop. I mean back then people just had no mercy. You got a nickname which directly was connected to your ethnic background or a handicap or your weakest link. These were friends too. Nothing meant to be mean. It does fit in though that if accepted by one or two people it just carries over. Today we wouldn't even use the word handicap.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller...ndaughtersarethreatenedtauntedinfacebookwar_1

TMZ obtained screenshots yesterday of the Facebook debate, which began when a Facebook user and former classmate of the Palin girls named Tre posted a status update that said, “Sarah Palin’s Alaska, is soo failing hard right now.” Willow Palin responded, “Don’t watch it dumb s***” and Bristol Palin wrote, “You’re running your mouth just to talk s*** .”

Tre replied with, “Willow, don’t make me count to three” and a boy name Matt wrote, “not as fat as Bristol … The only program I enjoyed from your family is Nailin’ Palin.”

***KEEP IN MIND, all this came BEFORE the "you're so Gay" remark.
So this boy likes "Nailin Palin"??? I'd say that's pretty offensive.

IMO these boys were trying to get them to react and they did. Then, I guess they got screen shots to sell to the media.

IMO the Palin daughters were targeted.

From that same link:

The news outlets that have written about this story have attributed anti-gay views and bigotry to Willow Palin, a minor, but none have questioned Facebook user Matt’s comments calling the Palin daughters a slur for a prostitute.

I think they got really upset and were trying to defend themselves. I say things I shouldn't sometimes when I get mad and I'm 35.

Hi Cubby, I'm glad you joined the discussion. I agree the words in question are poor choices and IMO a lack of sensitivity training from the parents. Kids nowadays have too many communications avenues in which to act out and it's not communications with their parents. Parents need to take more action in monitoring what their kids are doing. I snooped in my kids business although I never told them so. I wanted to know what they were up to. I felt it was my responsibility as a parent. They were good kids but still made poor choices as all kids do which needed to be addressed.

MOO

wm

My second grader knows calling someone or gay is considered offensive. Because his school system instills that in students and so do I as a parent. IF my son was overly using those words at school he would be kicked out, but as a parent who sends my child to a parochial school - those type of schools do not put up with it.

However he knows not only those words are offensive, but knows others are as well, and knows even ethnic jokes/terms (regardless of race) are not cool. I used to joke about myself as a Polack, until my son came home and said the polack kid in the neighborhood - first generation from Poland. I was mortified! It was then I had the talk with him about name calling and bad words.

As a parent I would be much more comfortable with say, George Carlins 7 words. Not that I would be proud of them... but I think there are a lot of words which could make the point effectively without using words which are considered so derogatory to a specific group.

jmo

wow, Sarah must be mortified. As someone who espouses family values, etc, I be she is in some serious damage control mode today and I'll be those young ladies got a serious talkin to about what they choose to put out there.

shakes head. If my kids ever posted that kinda garbage on FB there would be he77 to pay.

I agree that it's common usage and has been since at least the early 80's since I clearly remember it being used all the time in high school. Doesn't make it right of course. This looks like an opportunity to educate people that we need to be aware that our choice of words can be extremely offensive and hurtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam