FL FL - Adji Desir, 6, Immokalee, 10 Jan 2009 - #3

I always keep little Adji in my prayers to find him.I will never forget him.Thank you for keeping his name and picture out there to help find him.

Media needs to be colorblind

Judging solely from the media, most victims of crime or missing people are young, pretty white girls, but that's not true at all.

[snip]

For example, a study conducted by the International Communication Association found that 32.9 percent of missing children are African-American, but only 21.2 percent of those children are covered by the news media.

[snip]

Think of Haleigh Cummings, a 5-year-old Florida girl that received national attention after she went missing in February 2009.

If you don't recall, Cummings is a Caucasian girl with blond hair and brown eyes.

Adji Desir — a disabled 6-year-old African-American Florida boy — went missing while playing outside with friends in January 2009, yet he received very little media attention, especially in comparison with Cummings.

http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/media-needs-to-be-colorblind-1.2401091

Judging solely from the media, most victims of crime or missing people are young, pretty white girls, but that's not true at all.

[snip]

For example, a study conducted by the International Communication Association found that 32.9 percent of missing children are African-American, but only 21.2 percent of those children are covered by the news media.

[snip]

Think of Haleigh Cummings, a 5-year-old Florida girl that received national attention after she went missing in February 2009.

If you don't recall, Cummings is a Caucasian girl with blond hair and brown eyes.

Adji Desir — a disabled 6-year-old African-American Florida boy — went missing while playing outside with friends in January 2009, yet he received very little media attention, especially in comparison with Cummings.

Thank you for posting this. It makes me so da**ed angry that some children are considered more valuable to the media than others. Adji Might have been found if the national media had picked up the story and run with it. It looked like the local community really went all out searching for him, though.

Do you think that the fact he has not been found deceased may mean he is alive some where? I still have a dream( a fantasy, not an actual dream) that he was picked up, unable to talk or communicate, taken to a foster home and lives with a warm and loving foster mother who gives him hugs, got him a puppy, bakes cookies and prays over him every night.

I have to have some thoughts like those or I would go slap crazy I believe.

So our vigil continues.

Thinking of Adji today....poor lil guy. I hope hope pray pray he is found one day...such a mysterious case.

BUMP for Adji. Come home soon.

1-800-THE-LOST / 1-800-CRIME-TV / Collier County Sheriff's Office 239-793-9300 or 239-252-9300 / Crime Stoppers 1-800-780-8477
AdjiDesir.gif
AdjiDesir2.jpg
Desir_Adji2.jpg
Desir_AdjiFL-1.jpg

[snip]

[snip]

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Thank you for this post... I have just sent a letter signed by 2398 people to President Obama in just this regard..
I want to see million spent on these children also, Like in Haleighs case and Kyrons case, I want them to be in the news equally as much time as these other cases, and I want A “Wall Of Hope” For Adji Desir, I want more action from Law enforcement on these Children’s cases.. Why should it be any different?…
I want to start a law changing bill to go to the senate to change the way they cover cases on all missing children to make sure they are equal, and coverage from the media to be equal as well.
In addition, I work and live part-time and have two Brother inLE here, in Adji Desir’s County, I KNOW they have the money to do it.
:banghead:

I cannot believe that it will soon be two years since Adji went missing. Adji is two years older than the photos we have - I wonder if anybody would recognize him now that he has aged by two years. I know the children in our family grow quite a bit in a two year span. Wonder what Adji looks like now and how big he is.

How long usually is a child missing before an age progression is done - does anybody know?

And a bump for Adji ......... come home child where you belong.

It can also be asked of them, to do so,

I know that there is other software we uses that takes both parents and the child a makes the age progressive photo from that.

Let me check into this.

Also I am trying here to get this back out in the public eye... and get LE to keep it active...

Just an observation, I have lived in south Florida for 34 years and Adji is the first/only missing child/person I've actually seen on a billboard. I do not live in the same county he is missing from. The billboards are scattered throughout the county and have been for well over a year.

I don't come here as much anymore. But when I do this is the first place I come to. Such incredible sadness comes over me to think that this precious child seems to have meant and continues to mean so little to the world. Little Caylee and others deserve all the press they received after they were so cruelly deprived of their lives. But Ji Ji deserved that too. If his poor parents had been so disfunctional as to be "entertaining to the masses" he might have gotten more coverage. Or if he had been white or perhaps a little girl. Evidently it is not enough to be a helpless, sweet, underpriveliged, handicapped child from an apparently decent but poor immigrant family. The sheer number of children just like little Adji who go missing or are murdered every year is huge. And yet the media hand picks just a few who are WORTHY enough to get extended coverage or any coverage at all. It is simply maddening and yet something that seems to have no solution. I pray for you Adji. God Bless your soul and those who love you.

Thinking of Adji

(still have my doubts about his stepfather, I'm sorry but there is just something that makes me say hmm....)

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/adji-desir/

Putting this link here to Collier County Naples News Paper all about Adji,

So many of the other links in his Thread are Broken and this has alot of info.

Going there this Sunday to release balloons and make a little wall of hope for him.

Two years after Adji Desir went missing from his grandmother’s Farm Workers Village home, investigators are no closer to finding out what happened to the autistic child.

However, Adji’s family, law enforcement officials and Immokalee residents all hold out hope that the now 8-year-old will come home soon.

On Monday, it will have been two years since Adji was last seen playing outside his grandmother’s house in Farm Workers Village in Immokalee on Jan. 10, 2009, while his mother was at work.

(snip)

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/jan/07/immokalee-adji-desir-missing-child-two-years-tips/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back