GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boyfriend's actions seem mighty odd. He does seem suspicious. But surely the police would have enough to arrest him or exonerate him pretty quickly? The phone call could be relevant I guess. I haven't thought much about it because the way it was reported made it sound unimportant.

I am sure the police here in the UK are similar to police in the US.....they will not call BF a suspect or make an arrest until they have loads against him. I am sure they're checking his tale very carefully, mobile pings and all, esp in light of his brother's reluctance to discuss the visit.

(this doesnt mean I am sure of anything, I am not....but LE saying he is not a suspect doesnt mean he has been eliminated as one...yet.)

Yeah, gotcha. How long does it take to track mobile pings?

You say his brother's reluctance to discuss the visit - I think that's strange, but we don't know what he said to the police. He might just be reluctant to talk to the media.

Some interesting new developements... Was Bargain Booze the last place Jo stopped at before she went home ? Because the cctv footage of her going into the liquor store does NOT show her to be carrying a pizza box. Did she get a ride home ? I thought at the beginning that this was a long walk home for her... At this point, I would be looking hard at that night in the pub.Who was she talking to ? Did anyone see her getting into a car ? Another poster also mentioned the phone call to her friend. Supposedly, the friend claimed that they made plans to go for a drink on Christmas Eve. But, Jo's parents have stated that Jo and her BF were coming to stay with them during Christmas ? I hope LE is looking hard at the friend Jo called.

Also, there were some vague reports of suspicious activity in Jo's neighborhood on that night...

All JMO

I just don't see the boyfriend being involved. It seems he was with her long enough to notice any sort of anger management issues. Anything is possible, for sure, but I would think her friends would be coming forward in droves to tell of his awful temper, his odd behavior, etc.
Further, as for the phone calls.....it's hard to judge someone else's relationship. I frequently get caught up in something...work, cleaning, etc....and go days without returning calls. Sometimes I just don't feel like talking....sometimes I misplace my phone....sometimes I just get busy and don't want to be interrupted. I don't think it's grossly unusual for her to not answer her phone/return a call for a day. Remember that she likely DID talk to him on Friday up until her disappearance....so it would just be Saturday that he didn't hear from her.
Finally, does anyone know where her purse and keys were located?? I really want them to find and prosecute Jo's killer.....but I know my husband wouldn't have much of a clue if he came home and my purse and keys were put up. If they were out on the counter by the door he'd think I should be home (with my stuff), but if they weren't in his DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT, he would be completely clueless that my keys and purse had been left behind.

One thing that bothers me is that the boyfriend appears to have noticed nothing wrong when he arrived home.....yet mom and dad knew within 30 minutes that something was wrong. Again, though, my first 'explaination' would be that the boyfriend--prior to becoming alarmed--wasn't LOOKING for anything suspicious. imho.

ETA: I've got to believe that LE would be able to easily verify his wherabouts for the weekend via his phone pings, his family he was visiting, his mileage, etc. I wonder if his computer was the only one in the house.....i.e.....they are checking out THE computer for the house, it just happens to be 'his' computer. imho.

You've brought up some really interesting ideas, both of you. I didn't even notice the lack of pizza box. That suggests a lift to me - i.e. She was dropped off at the supermarkets and she jumped back in the car. Pizza then left in car while she jumped out to get booze. I'm a bit confused as to why she'd settle down with some booze in the flat but leave the pizza behind. It's not quite adding up. Presumably the police have a better idea of events than we do. They're putting up a bigger reward, but not giving much away for the public to work with. I see what you mean about the boyfriend not being particularly worried about lack of contact, although I still find it a little odd.

Was Bargain Booze the last place Jo stopped at before she went home ? Because the cctv footage of her going into the liquor store does NOT show her to be carrying a pizza

The Telegraph has a good timeline of her evening

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8230065/Joanna-Yeates-murder-timeline.html

Her bag looks pretty big, as though it could accommodate a pizza. At first I thought it was a backpack as it looked slung over her shoulder and across her back in the pics from Tesco. Hard to tell.

The Telegraph has a good timeline of her evening

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8230065/Joanna-Yeates-murder-timeline.html

Her bag looks pretty big, as though it could accommodate a pizza. At first I thought it was a backpack as it looked slung over her shoulder and across her back in the pics from Tesco. Hard to tell.

The cctv footage at Bargain Booze shows that her bag is a shoulder/hobo bag.In the footage it is worn over her shoulder and in front. IMO it does not look any fuller in the second pic. Looks like she would have to cram the pizza inside to make it fit. IMO, it's more likely that she got a ride.

All JMO

I'm pretty sure it is a backpack. I guess she probably put the pizza in it, eh? Oh, I dunno. I hope the police are close now. The high reward doesn't fill me with confidence.

The cctv footage at Bargain Booze shows that her bag is a shoulder/hobo bag.

The BBC calls it a rucksack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12078888

Also, a DM article reports the boyfriend stated:
‘I went through her bag, which she had left on the table, and found it had all the stuff she would need to take with her, things like her purse and her keys.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...assume-shes-dead--lives-gone-say-parents.html

It sounds like she had a bag/backpack with her purse and other items kept inside.

Interesting. The Tesco images show her carrying a small black bag in her right hand which looks like a shopping bag. I wonder if she went to Bargain Booze first and the timeline reported in the news is incorrect or if she is carrying something bought/obtained somewhere else.

I'm crossing posts here. Just read the post about the bag being no fuller. The more I read the more confused I get!

The BBC calls it a rucksack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12078888

Also, a DM article reports the boyfriend stated:
‘I went through her bag, which she had left on the table, and found it had all the stuff she would need to take with her, things like her purse and her keys.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...assume-shes-dead--lives-gone-say-parents.html

It sounds like she had a bag/backpack with her purse and other items kept inside.

Interesting. The Tesco images show her carrying a small black bag in her right hand which looks like a shopping bag. I wonder if she went to Bargain Booze first and the timeline reported in the news is incorrect or if she is carrying something bought/obtained somewhere else.

IIRC, Jo went to a store called Waitrose ( sp ? ), then to the Tesco store where she bought the pizza. In the Tesco store footage, she looks to have a backpack. The straps look like a backpack type of fabric. In the Bargain Booze footage,though, she has a hobo/shoulder bag, doesn't look like it's made of fabric ? Strange, but maybe unimportant in the scheme of things.

All JMO

Daily Mail update:

Pictured: Smiling Joanna Yeates seen entering shop where she bought cider bottles just hours before disappearing

* Crimestoppers offer £10,000 reward for information to catch murderer
* Two bottles of cider bought before she disappeared could provide clues
* Police believe Joanna may have known her killer
* Victim's boyfriend Greg Reardon is not being treated as a suspect
* Officers keeping 'open mind' over possibility of sexual motive

Another neighbour, who does not want to be named, said there had been reports of other people acting suspiciously in the area.

He said: 'Somebody living in the area observed people acting suspiciously in sufficient detail on the night Jo went missing.

'They have a much clearer idea of who these people might be.'
(not sure how much credence to give this)

Thorough and thus a good article for those just coming to the case, plus of course lots of pictures.

Firm denial from Mr Jefferies regarding earlier Sky report:

Speaking outside his home in Canynge Road, in the Clifton area of Bristol, Mr Jefferies denied he had told police he saw Miss Yeates leaving with two unidentified people.

"It is a serious distortion of what I said to the police and I have no further comment to make as that, no doubt, will be distorted," he said.

Earlier, he told Sky News: "I made some comment which was very, very, very much vaguer than that.

He added: "I definitely cannot say that I saw Joanna Yeates that evening. No."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...yeates-left-flat-with-two-people-2171405.html

I saw the footage of him saying that. He seemed pretty unhappy with Sky News embellishing his report and interviewing him on camera. I don't blame him!

CCTV at Bargain Booze does seem to show Jo as smiling at some point when she walks in. Is she smiling just at her own thoughts, at a shop worker or could it be somebody else? I wonder why we see the CCTV of her walking in through the door and at the counter but not walking out the door? I wonder if the packages and pizza she was holding as she left Tesco went into her backpack or somewhere else? She does not appear to be holding them as she walks into Bargain Booze.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ase-CCTV-of-Joanna-Yeates-in-off-licence.html

I realise that the police have said the boyfriend is not currently being treated as a suspect, I personally think that is only temporary for the following reasons:

1) Language. The boyfriend used past tense in an interview when Joanne was only known to be missing. A big red flag that he has knowledge that she is deceased.

2) Timeline. The boyfriend's alibi seems to be a little sketchy at best. All that has really been stated is that he was 'away', and returned on the Sunday evening. Hopefully data from his computer and mobile phone can clear this part up. Certainly the response of his half-brother to the media showed some sensitivity.

3) Story Cohesiveness. If the function at the pub that Joanne attended was work related, why didn't the boyfriend attend? Did they not work at the same place? If they're a couple why wouldn't they attend a work (or even work-based) function together?

4) Timeline. From the various reports it only took Joanne's parents 30 minutes in the apartment to be certain that she had been abducted. Everything I have seen indicates that the boyfriend was home for four hours before he thought it appropriate to contact police (I read in one post that he sat down and watched TV - I'm not sure if this has been verified). This doesn't seem to me like a viable time period.

5) Non-verbal cues. From the photographs in this article:
a] The boyfriend appears to be trying to hide as much of himself as possible when visiting the site where Joanne was found. From his hat, collar and sleeves, he seems to be ensuring as little as possible of him is visible, without making it too obvious that he is hiding. I suspect this may even be a subconscious/unconscious act on his part (rather than deliberate, ie; to deliberately make himself less recognisable to any possible witnesses), but either way it indicates he has something to hide. Yes, I realise it is cold, but look at all they other people, they are ALL dressed so their heads/faces are clearly visible.
b] In an earlier image, pre-discovery, where the boyfriend is crying at a press conference, the boyfriend's face actually looks like it may be a microexpression where he is attempting to hide a smile (his lips are certainly upturned), with the microsmile potentially betraying his pleasure at successful deception.

Each of these things on it's own may seem relatively inconsequential, but I think when considered together point to the fact that the boyfriend may have been involved. I will not be shocked if they announce he has been arrested/taken in for questioning.

Interesting post. I agree about the hat and looking to make himself look different. He does look different with that hat on.
But, he did say that when he got home he noticed that their cat was going crazy,because it looked like no one had let him out for a couple of days. I thought that the cat might have peed etc. inside the flat... But, I truly cannot explain why it took him from 8pm until midnight to call LE.
About his alibi : his half brother,who he was staying with in Sheffield, stated that he had given LE all of the time details about his brother's visit.
IMO, if LE really considered him a prime suspect,they would have impounded his car. Looked for blood spatter/stains,skin, etc. Or, LE would have taken a cadaver hound inside the car/trunk etc. MOO

All JMO

Apparently the landlord saw a "threesome" leave the building around 9:00 PM the night of Dec 17th. I would assume everyone who lives in the building has been questioned and nobody else reported a threesome leaving that would have been unrelated to Jo Yeats. This would give considerable "confidence" to the assumption that one of the three was Jo and the other two were her assailants.

I don't find it all that suspicious that the Boy Friend was home 4 hours before he called the police. He must have suspected something wrong, finding the keys and phone etc (I can't find any reference as to whether or not the door was locked) but it is reasonable not to "panic" right away. It is human nature to be reluctant to call the police until all alternative explanations had been exhausted. As it got later and later, I would have expected him to become increasingly worried.

The fact that one of the drinks was "partially drunk" suggests that she arrived home safely and alone and opened a drink before she settled down to prepare the pizza. (Do we know if it was poured into a glass?) If she "had company", you would expect more than one serving to have been drank. This would suggest that she was not the victim of a "door push". Since there was no sign of forced entry, I would think she must have let her assailants in. (or was there? could this be why the door was removed by the police?).

We don't know that much about the movement of the BF that day. He claims to have been visiting his half-brother Francis, in Sheffield which is about a 3 hour drive away. We can assume the police have checked him out but we don't know if the alibi is "rock solid" or not. The fact that Jo purchased the pizza without calling her BF seems to confirm that she did not expect him to be home.

If her body was "fully clothed" as reported, there is a very good chance she was not sexually assaulted. The police are somewhat vague on the issue but by saying they are "keeping an open mind" on the subject, I'm guessing there is no evidence of sexual assault but they haven't ruled it out. Sometimes a planned sexual assault "goes bad" and the assailant will panic and kill the victim without completing or even attempting the sexual part of the assault. It could mean the motive was personal; not sexual. There has been no mention of any "signs of a struggle" i.e. bruises, cuts, torn clothing etc. This would be very significant. By saying that the women of Bristol have “nothing to fear” the police are making it clear that they believe the motive was “personal”

I find it hard to believe that Jo would have willingly left her flat with two men without taking her keys and a coat. Is it possible that two men "talked their way" into her flat (perhaps she knew at least one of them) and then left with them without a struggle under some threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288