Website
www.facebook.com
white_carlina.jpg
white_carlina_ap.jpg

Missing Since: August 4, 1987 from Harlem, New York
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: July 15, 1987
Height and Weight: 1'9, 8 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Some agencies give Carlina's last name as White-Tyson. She has a birthmark above her left eye.

Details of Disappearance

White's parents took her from her home in the 3100 block of Broadway to to Harlem Hospital on August 4, 1987 because she had a 103-degree fever. Her mother stated that in the emergency room, she was comforted by a woman dressed in a white uniform. Her mother believed the woman was a nurse. White was was admitted as a patient, placed in the 17th-floor pediatric ward, and given intravenous antibiotics. Her fever broke afterward. She disappeared from her room sometime between 2:30 and 3:55 a.m. She has never been seen again.

The woman who spoke to White's mother was not a Harlem Hospital employee and had apparently been loitering at the facility for several days prior to the infant's abduction. Authorities believe it was she who abducted White. The woman is described as being 5'8 tall and 180 to 190 pounds. She was between 25 and 35 years old in 1986. Investigators located and interviewed one possible suspect in Baltimore, Maryland a few days after White was kidnapped, but the woman did not have White and was not charged in her disappearance. White's disappearance is believed to be the only abduction from a hospital in New York City history.

In 1989, authorities stated they believed White's disappearance was connected to the presumed abductions of Andre Bryant, Christopher Dansby and Shane Walker. Bryant, six weeks old, was abducted from the New York City borough of Brooklyn in March 1989 after his mother was murdered. Dansby, 2, and Walker, 1, disappeared from the same Harlem park in May and August 1989 respectively. All of the missing children are African-American. Investigators eventually decided that Walker's and Dansby's disappearances were probably unrelated. However, all of the cases remain unsolved and it is unclear what happened to any of the children.

White's parents sued the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation after her abduction and obtained a six-figure settlement in 1992. They placed half the sum in trust for White; she can collect the money if she is found by her twenty-first birthday on July 15, 2008. She remains missing and her case is unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
New York City Police Department

646-610-6914

Great News...She has been found and is at home in the Bronx with her mom.

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A woman, kidnapped as an infant, has been reunited with her family. 23yo Carimna White searched the internet and saw her baby photo on Natl Center of Missing and Exploited Children web site. A DNA matched confirmed her identity. !!!!!!

More at link

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=7907784

WOW

it's good that she escaped ... now hopefully LE can find & arrest her kidnapper(s)

This is SO wonderful! I am so glad she is back with her Family.

Thank God for this miracle. I hope she and her real family have many years filled with joy and peace and love.

I am so happy that my first post on this website is under such wonderful circumstances! IIRC, websleuths was the first place I read about Carlina's story, and maybe because I am a fellow New Yorker, the sad details stayed in my mind. What a miraculous outcome! I was thrilled to see the news reports (all over the local news in our region, New York) about how Carlina set out to search and then found her birth mother. She is a beautiful young woman, her courageous spirit shows in her face.

I know there are many, many questions left that must be answered, and the adjustment poses its own challenges. But I can't begin to fathom what Carlina's mother and father are feeling, after more than two decades of this awful question weighing on their minds from when they wake up till they fall asleep.

May this family know only good things from hereon in, and may all the frustrating, sad, puzzling cases have similar happy outcomes.

This is wonderful. It gives me hope for the Sabrina Paige Aisenberg case.

Read this store in a Norwegian newspaper today... had to come here immediately!

Wow and hallelujah! I'm so grateful and happy because of this!

I just read the story on CNN. This is so amazing, I can't imagine how Carlina's mother must feel finally seeing her baby after more than 20 years. I definitely gives me hope for other cold cases.

It is so nice to read a happy ending for a change. What a miracle.

Praise the Lord!!!! Miracles do happen!!!

Perhaps now LE will be able to glean some leads to the missing boys who were abducted in the park!

My thoughts and prayers are with Carlina and her family! Kudos to Carlina for following her gut instinct!

wm

I wonder if the case could still be connected to the other disappearances listed above.
(In 1989, authorities stated they believed White's disappearance was connected to the presumed abductions of Andre Bryant, Christopher Dansby and Shane Walker.)
It will be interesting to find out if Carlina had any "siblings" growing up.

with her birth mother...she did her own investigation...:great:

Abducted Baby Reunited With Parents 23 Years LaterJan 19, 2011 – 5:27 PM
.A 23-year-old woman who was snatched from a New York City hospital as a 3-week-old infant has been reunited with her parents after tracking down baby pictures of herself on a missing children's website.

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Carlina Renae White was kidnapped as an infant on Aug. 4, 1987. She was reunited with her parents after she found pictures of herself on a missing children's website."It's a wonderful feeling. Now I can sleep," mother Joy White told the New York Post after meeting her grown-up daughter over the weekend. "I've been worried for all these years. I never took her picture off my dresser. I never gave up looking for her."

Carlina Renae White was not yet a month old when she was kidnapped on Aug. 4, 1987. She had spiked a 104-degree fever and her worried parents took her to Harlem Hospital, where she was admitted, the Post and the New York Daily News reported today.

more
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/19/kidnapped-baby-carlina-white-reunited-with-parents-23-years-late/

Harlem Hospital Kidnapping Victim Reunited With Mom 23 Years Later Updated 3 hrs ago
January 19, 2011 5:12pm Updated January 20, 2011 6:09am3commentsshareprint
Carlina White, who was snatched from Harlem Hospital at only 19 days old, was reunited with her birth mother on Friday.

By Jennifer Glickel and Della Hasselle

DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

MANHATTAN — A woman who went missing from Harlem Hospital 23 years ago when she was just a 19-day-old newborn was reunited with her overjoyed birth mother last weekend.

Carlina White, now 23, was raised in Bridgeport, Conn., under the alias Nejdra Nance, her biological family said. She was kidnapped on Aug. 4, 1987 from Harlem Hospital after her then 16-year-old mother, Joy White, brought her in with a high fever, according to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Carlina, who now lives in Atlanta, Ga., with 5-year-old daughter, Samani, had always suspected that the family raising her wasn't her own, according to her birth family.

Ann Pettway was identified by White as the woman who raised her and claimed to be her mom, the New York Post reported. White figured out that Pettway wasn't her real mother when the woman failed to produce documents like her birth certificate for her driver's license, or for prenatal care when she got pregnant, the paper reported.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110119/har...tes-with-her-mom-23-years-later#ixzz1BaJZvuNR

Such an inspiring story, so glad she found her real mother. The NY Daily News identifies the mother who raised her, it sounds as though she was a drug user and abusive.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/01/19/2011-01-19_cold_case_over_carlina_white_kidnapped_as_infant_from_hospital_24_years_ago_reui.html

It sounds as though there's a good chance they'll find out who kidnapped her. Hope it brings resolution to the other children kidnapped in the same area. Wouldn't it be great if they could locate the others?

From above link:
Joy White said Carlina told her the woman was a drug user who abused her - once hitting her in the face with a shoe - and often left her alone to baby-sit her younger "brother." (I wonder about the brother also)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back