Trial Date set and Trial Proceeding Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can initiate a call from a remote location...but you have to have someone or something where the landline is to go offhook. A fax machine would be a possibility since it would auto-answer, but that's about the only scenario I can think of.

You can initiate a call from a remote location...but you have to have someone or something where the landline is to go offhook. A fax machine would be a possibility since it would auto-answer, but that's about the only scenario I can think of.

I disagree ncsu95.
As even Brad said, this could be accomplished via the Cisco VOIP software on the same network.
He would be able to access his home network via a VPN from his smartphone. At that point, he could easily place a call from this remote location w/o the actual home phone hardware being used.

I disagree ncsu95.
As even Brad said, this could be accomplished via the Cisco VOIP software on the same network.
He would be able to access his home network via a VPN from his smartphone. At that point, he could easily place a call from this remote location w/o the actual home phone hardware being used.

It depends on what the landline is. If it is a voip phone (or softphone), then I can see that happening. But if it is pots (plain old telephone system), then he wouldn't be able to do that via voip.

Okay, I just thought of a way. I do voip for a living. The product I work on has a click to call capability. I can go to a web page and enter both the originating phone number and the terminating phone number. When I initiate the call, the first phone number rings (ie, his home phone). When that call is answered, it then initiates a call to the second number (ie, his cell phone). But what I was saying earlier is true for this type of feature...something or someone has to answer the first leg. But thinking about my house, we still use a digital answering machine (as opposed to an online voicemail system). So if I did this to my house and cell, when my answering machine picked up, it would then initiate a call to my cell phone. So that is one way it would work. But I think the call records would indicate an incoming call to my house.

Now if it was fully voip, and a voip system he had access to, he could simply set his a client with the charge ID of his home phone and make a call. The records would indicate a call from his home number. So I'm really curious about what type of phone system they used at home.

Hey posters!! I'm so ready for this trial to get going. Yes I realize it is 3 in the morning... I promise though when this trial starts I'll be here all day everyday. I hope you all are doing well and I'm so glad to see some of my old buddy posters here!!!!

It depends on what the landline is. If it is a voip phone (or softphone), then I can see that happening. But if it is pots (plain old telephone system), then he wouldn't be able to do that via voip.

Remember, he installed a full enterprise grade Cisco system in his home (see the video link I posted above from the 2008 deposition). Later,at the request of Nancy, he switched it back to a pots VTech. He could have very easily redeployed the Cisco system that AM before the trip to the store.
As late as 10/2010, we also know that is what the cops think he did.

Hi TSG! Good to 'see' you.

Are you coming into town for any of the trial?

Hi TSG! Good to 'see' you.

Are you coming into town for any of the trial?

Hey Sleuthy!! Good to see you!!!!! I'll be in town in April - the 12th and 13th for Crime Victims Week memorials so hopefully I'll be able to catch some of it. There is a ceremony at the Victim's Memorial Garden on the 13th (I think - I'll update with a link) so I'm hoping to pop into the court house after that. How about you?

Here is the link if case any locals would like to attend.
http://nc-van.org/documents/CVRW.pdf

I tried to post this a couple of hours ago but had computer issues.

On the 5:00 PM news Ed Crump (WTVD) said no alternate jurors were chosen this afternoon.

I tried to post this a couple of hours ago but had computer issues.

On the 5:00 PM news Ed Crump (WTVD) said no alternate jurors were chosen this afternoon.
Sounds like the judge heard motions Monday afternoon and they will get back to picking the 4 alternates today. Hopefully opening statements will begin 9:30 Wednesday.

Admittedly, the phone stuff is over my head, but those of you who know what they are talking about, do you think that it would be shown that he could have made the call that way, or do you think they can prove it by records?

It all depends on the software and the settings and what is logged. This is for both the cell phone side of the equation (at the phone and carrier level) and the VOIP software side.

WRAL reports at noon - 2 alternates have been seated, 2 more to go...likely opening statements tomorrow. Amanda Lamb video at noon.

WRAL : http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9237243/

Third alternate selected. Jury pool depleted will need to select one more tomorrow am.

Strategy ? Note one juror excused because he did not believe he could commit to an 8 week trial. Defense has 200 plus on its witness list - DA 127 on theirs. Is defense hoping no one will want to be in court for 8 weeks ?

Third alternate selected. Jury pool depleted will need to select one more tomorrow am.

Strategy ? Note one juror excused because he did not believe he could commit to an 8 week trial. Defense has 200 plus on its witness list - DA 127 on theirs. Is defense hoping no one will want to be in court for 8 weeks ?

The question is - will the defense call 200+ witnesses or are they just on the list? I think it may be the latter. :)

One time when I was called for jury duty, there were 75 people picked for the first round. By 2:00 we'd gone through more than 1/2 of them and they had to send in another 75,....I was still waiting to be MAYBE called. The end of the day came and we had to come back the next day. They were going through them pretty fast....................yes, I did get called. Neither one of the attoneys dismissed me, but the JUDGE did! LOL.............it was a case that the pros was composed of 'expert' witnesses, including forensics. My daughter is a forensic chemist and 'expert' witness and,..............well, ONE of the experts was going to be from her lab...............

I can't even imagine the prospect of being on a jury for 8 weeks, and a murder case to boot! I don't know if I could handle that. Well, I know I couldn't for this one anyway, because I already know who did it! ;)

JMHO
fran

There were way simpler ways to do a phone call. But, all of them would be discoverable.

I think that the DA doing it at the last hour is not good for the prosecution.

It sounds a little "graspy".

I truly haven't made up my mind either way because of the giant lack of evidence, but I have to admit that both of them sound like selfish, normal, middle-class Americans in the custody layout.

It doesn't sound like one or the other was ahead of it all.

Just out of curiosity, was Michael Sleeman ever looked at for this? He was the guy that raped a real estate agent over in that neck of the woods. I can't remember his timeline. Snagging a jogger doesn't seem to far out of his realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey