GUILTY NH - Krista Dittmeyer, 20, Conway, 23 April 2011 - #2

Such sad news.. I dont' understand why they killed her and not just rob her... Its not like she could run to the cops about it.

They probably weren't concerned about Krista going to the cops; on the other hand, I'm sure they were scared that she would tell her boyfriend. He would have either gotten revenge on them when he was finished serving his sentence, or even more likely, he most likely has other drug associates who would have "taken care of business for him".

Drug addicts make dumb moves like this all of the time. The need for the drug overrides their ability to look and/or plan ahead. Their priority in life is acquiring drugs. I've seen dozens of young people steal from their own family and friends just to get their next high.

I still am not understanding how a planned attack like this is 2nd degree murder.

I read in a news report that some of the charges were for the purpose of holding the suspects for now and that they would expand the charges later. I think this crime was definitely first degree murder because the murder was committed in a felony robbery that was premeditated. I believe this is also true for the other guys that didn't actually bludgeon her. Hopefully all three of these thugs will end up going to prison for life.

It probably has something to do with the fact that she doesn't seem to be an "innocent victim". I know that sounds cynical, but I believe that our justice system DOES discriminate.

That can't be it...maybe they would not get convicted for 1st degree, but I can't believe they decide by who the victim is...

I just removed a few posts. We are entitled to our own opinions, but at this time there is no death penalty in this country for drug dealers. I know many ex-drug abusers who lead happy and honest lives today.

We do not bash victims on this forum. It is a violation of our TOS. Remember that as you post.

I just removed a few posts. We are entitled to our own opinions, but at this time there is no death penalty in this country for drug dealers. I know many ex-drug abusers who lead happy and honest lives today.

We do not bash victims on this forum. It is a violation of our TOS. Remember that as you post.

Here Here!

I feel so sorry for Krista's family and ultimately her daughter. I do want to add here it has been in my realm of experience that a child/children also made a very good and convincing COVER for any drug dealings. But of course that was in days gone by, the kids nowadays seem to just bring their kids along like they are thier ipods-can't leave home without them. Not for cover but just 'coz. I don't know why Krista brought her daughter with her, maybe in her eyes a good momma doesn't just leave her daughter for others to take care of all the time. Maybe she loved her too much to let others watch her all the time.
And let's face it...kids today have no sense when it comes to dangerous activities and actions. "It's not going to happen to me." Or they are so desensetized due to movies and video games they just live in a world where the reality never touches them. People who "die" get up when the movie is over or the game ends. It's not like it's "forever".

We here at WS had so many different ideas over the course of this case it amazing how we can all have different opinions and theories yet come together if it ends in tragedy and hug the family and lift up the victim(s).

I am glad to be here at WS, Thank you everyone!

Nothing much new here, but apparently her mother was completely unaware of Krista's involvement with drugs.

“I think it was just a shock to her. She had no idea,” Kathryn Pratt said of Lanell Shackley, 38, of Bridgton, Maine, the day after comforting the bereaved mom in a New Hampshire courtroom as prosecutors divulged her 20-year-old daughter was the victim of deadly plot to rob her of drugs and cash. “This is all a shock to her.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re..._revelations/srvc=news&position=recent_bullet

We don't know if there is any history of drug dealing or drug abuse in Krista's family. There is nothing to indicate any wrong doing on their part and nothing to indicate that there is a "cycle" to break on her side of the family. Maybe there is; but we have no information that suggests such. While having children young can be a challenge, it is not illegal and doesn't necessitate that the child will not be raised with love and guidance. Not sure the age of Krista's mother or grandmother had anything to do with Krista's poor judgment...

We know the baby's father has a criminal record, as does his brother. We know nothing more about his family and whether there is a cycle to break.

JMO, no matter what the family backgrounds and how the custody arrangement is eventually structured, this innocent child is only in her second year of life and, imo, there is no reason to assume that she is destined to become involved in drugs as a young single mother. Her future is wide open. Hopefully, the tragic loss of her mother in a drug deal will motivate whomever is in charge of her care to do everything possible to raise her in a drug-free environment, and she will choose to keep them out of her life as an adult.

Just my optimistic opinion....

Partially OT:

Many families include members who have made poor choices and deal with alcohol and/or drug addictions. While the entire family is affected by the actions of those with such issues, it does not necessarily indicate they will follow in their footsteps.

My husband comes from an alcoholic family. His brothers are also alcoholics and one is also addicted to drugs. His nephew (who has 5 month old daughter) is in prison for drug related offenses. His niece is 18, unmarried and pregnant. Yes, this does support the theory that raised in such an environment, the children follow the example set by their parents.

However, I will never give up hope that his brother, who is a wonderful guy despite his addictons, will one day beat it. I will remain in contact with his nephew, niece and their children because I am not willing to write them off as lost in spite of their mistakes.

BTW, yes, my husband is also an alcoholic. One day he may choose to live an alcohol free life though I realize the odds are against it. Our children are grown and living their own lives. One is working, owns a home and is married with a child, the other is a college graduate preparing to enter the professional field.

I know what all the studies say, I know history often repeats itself. Yet I will not write off anyone, especially the young, for their mistakes. My daughter asked me why some people beat the addictions and others don't. I don't know the answer other than it's by the grace of God. I know many, many people who have turned around their lives so I know there is always hope and that it is certainly possible.

It makes me angry so many people are focused on Krista's drug connections and issues. Her mother lost a daughter. Her sister lost her. Her daughter lost her mother. Krista was a murder victim. Her family will live with the repercussions of this horrible event for the rest of their lives. Aren't they suffering enough? I don't understand the speculation that Krista's daughter will eventually choose the same path as if she is already lost.

This should be a time to support her family, to allow them to cherish the good memories they have of Krista. Whatever mistakes Krista made, she also seems to have had many wonderful, admirable qualities. Maybe some can no longer view her as the wholesome, girl next door. It may be true Krista's mother had her at a very young age. Yet Krista was also an honors student who was granted a full academic scholarship. Krista may be much more like the girl next door than some people can admit.

Krista's life and opportunities were brutally taken from her. I know her family is heartbroken. They have my sympathy. I hope they are able to take advantage of the support offered to them while turning a deaf ear to speculation & gossip.

Sorry for the long rambling post. I needed to get it off my chest.

JMHO with no offense to those who view it differently.

I do have to take pause at the fact that Krista's mother claims to be shocked and apparently had no clue that her daughter was involved in drugs, whether using or selling. Call me simple, but I would have a LOT of questions and probably assumptions if my daughter had a relationship with AND has a child with a known drug dealer.

I bring this up because I would like to see women like Krista's mother use this as an opportunity to educate other parents and grandparents, to educate kids about how the way you live sometimes indicates the way that you die. Krista is a victim here, no doubt about that, but her life story may save someone else's.

Reminds me a bit of a local story where some of my daughter's classmates were in a car accident, which involved alcohol (the driver), no seatbelts and excessive speed. The driver, who was the wholesome, all American, popular girl had been drinking before she got in the car and was killed. The fact that she was drinking was not shared in the media and to this day is only known by people who just happen to know...her parents didn't want it getting out because of her "reputation". Rest assured her death is a lesson for my kids and I use it as such when I get the opportunity. Protecting her reputation (she's no longer alive to worry about that) helps no one.

I have to say that when i met my hubby he was a drug dealer/intravenous user. i told my mom this and that i really liked him for him and i thought i could help him. my mom kept asking me is i used drugs and i denied it. she would check my arms for track marks never thinking i was snorting drugs. it took 2 years of me being addicted that my hubby finally told my mom i had a problem. she was shocked. long story short hubby and i are living a happy drugless life for almost 4 years now. so i can say her mother really might not have known she was using drugs, maybe she didn't do them and just wanted to help her boyfriend like i did.

Even if she didn't have conclusive knowledge of drug use/sales, but as was in your case Mushy, as a mother, the relationship with and making of a baby with and cohabitating with a known drug dealer would have been a huge red flag for me. Even without knowledge, a reasonable person might at least suspect *some* type of drug involvement, even if it was passive. It sounded all along like the relationship only dissolved because he went to prison. In that case" again as a mother ( I was younger than Krista when I had my first child), if you are willing to expose your infant to their father who is a known drug dealer, in my mind that is an indication that at the very least, you condone the illegal activity.

So Krista was dealing with the baby in the car? This is just senseless, I'm so sorry little Aliya lost her mother to such foolishness. I hope the perps really suffer the consequences!

I have first hand knowledge of the dope game. As some of you know. I was a bad teen and an all around criminal in my early 20s. I've never been to jail or anything, but my ex-fiancee' is in prison for 16 years. He sold drugs and was involved in home invasion robberies. He's been in jail for 8 years now.

I never thought to keep selling drugs for him or whatever. I didnt have any kids by him, but I am disappointed in Krista. It's easy money and all but not when you have a baby! And taking your baby with you to a drug deal is not a good look at all and dangerous. For her to be working too meant that she wasnt even making a lot dealing drugs. So I am totally confused by her behavior. She had a supportive family it seems so it's not like she couldnt have lived with her mom.

Some people like that lifesytle. To be a drug dealers woman for me was kinda a pride thing really. I felt important. Our circle of friends knew I was Finesse's girl and that afforded me respect and a bit of fear too. Some chicks just cant let that go. Its the excitement. my ex never asked me to deal drugs for him. He kept me away from all that.

As for good clean looking kids dealing, shoot me and my ex lived in the suburbs of Dallas and all his dealer friends were mostly white kids from good families that were bored. See the movie Alpha Dog and thats the type of guys I hung around. My ex is white!

I know we are to respect the victim and all that, but I cant help but feel that is Krista was some hispanic or black chick from the wrong side of NH that no one would have really cared that much. People die in drug deals gone bad in the hood ALL the time and they dont make the news. No one cares about them or the kids they leave behind. I had a friend murdered in front of his children by a drug dealers enforcer. Didnt even make the news. So no, I'm not shocked. Krista played with fire and people dont let looks decieve you. There are tons of seemingly "clean cut kids" pushing Meth everywhere. There isnt just one type of drug dealer anymore that you see on TV or in movies.

The Conway Daily Sun reports on its FB page that the grand jury did not charge any of the 3 men arrested. QUOTE]

A question for those more knowledgeable... what exactly does this mean? Are they free??

The Conway Daily Sun reports on its FB page that the grand jury did not charge any of the 3 men arrested. QUOTE]

A question for those more knowledgeable... what exactly does this mean? Are they free??

It depends. In Summer Inman's case, the in-laws and husband were initially charged with aggravated kidnapping. The judge set the bond really high because, I'm assuming, he knew that they were suspects in her murder (it was known that she was murdered at that point because the MIL told police where to find her body when she was arrested for kidnapping). It took 2 grand jury sessions to finally indict William Inman, Sr. and William Inman, Jr. for murder. Just happened on Friday, as a matter of fact, and that was a few months after Summer was murdered. WI and WI2 were never able to bond out of jail during that time. I'm assuming Sandra, the MIL, is never going to be charged with murder, sadly, but they would have NEVER found Summer's body w/o her cooperation IMO.

No, they're no free. I don't know why they were not indicted. Perhaps the prosecution decided not to present the case to this grand jury in order to develop it further before they do.

Maine station WGME is reporting that the Carroll County (NH) grand jury "failed to deliver indictments."
http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_7931.shtml Dittmeyer's body was found in a pond near a North Conway, NH ski

Today's article in the Conway Daily Sun gives a fuller explanation. Grand jury proceedings are secret, so there is no way to know why they did not return formal charges yesterday. The assistant attorney general said that the investigation is active and ongoing. The charges the 3 men face could still change. Whatever charges are in a grand jury indictment are the charges they will face at trail.

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/featured/story/dittmeyer052411

Former county attorney Robin Gordon said she would have been surprised if the men had been indicted that quickly. The three were arrested May 11.

There is a tremendous amount of material to go through in a case like this, she said, and the attorney general’s office would have had to rush to be ready by last Friday. “Getting them to this grand jury would have been phenomenal.”

Hope that helps.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back