GA - Jennifer Wilbanks, runaway bride, for false police report, Duluth, 2005

luvbeaches said:
The family should have just forked over the $43K. Now that they have attorneys involved, it will probably cost them much more (in the end).

The same can be said for the city. How much more will it now cost the city? Juror pay...district attny man hours...trial time...the whole case will end up costing far more than will ever be gained from it. Even if she is ordered to repay the $43,000, the city will be out at least that much more by the time they pay for the prosection and trial.

I don't think it's about money now - doubt if that was brought up with grand jury, it's about a crime. They wouldn't have indicted her unless evidence they heard reflected that. Paying money back is probably least of her worries now, she faces, if convicted, prison time.

Timex said:
The same can be said for the city. How much more will it now cost the city? Juror pay...district attny man hours...trial time...the whole case will end up costing far more than will ever be gained from it. Even if she is ordered to repay the $43,000, the city will be out at least that much more by the time they pay for the prosection and trial.

There are expenses involved in prosecuting EVERY criminal.

peggy said:
I don't think it's about money now - doubt if that was brought up with grand jury, it's about a crime. They wouldn't have indicted her unless evidence they heard reflected that. Paying money back is probably least of her worries now, she faces, if convicted, prison time.

I agree, it isnt about money. If it goes to trial, I would expect a change of venue, as there would be no way the case could be heard in Deluth without biase against her. I do believe the money will be paid back, just as the mayor has said, so that really eliminates the monetary aspect of this case.

Mabel said:
There are expenses involved in prosecuting EVERY criminal.

Yes, but usually if the expenses outweigh the benefits, a deal is made. Many many crimes are never prosectued for the simple reason they just arent worth the amount of funds it would take to do so, to say nothing of tying up the courts that are needed to deal with serious criminal issues.

Timex said:
There is nothing illegal about staging your own abduction. The only illegal action was her statement, via telephone, to Georgia LE.

But I believe faking your own abduction should be against the law. I guess it isn't, but it should be. The resources were still wasted because she lied. It's one thing to run away, but another to make it look like you were abducted.

Timex said:
Yes, but usually if the expenses outweigh the benefits, a deal is made. Many many crimes are never prosectued for the simple reason they just arent worth the amount of funds it would take to do so, to say nothing of tying up the courts that are needed to deal with serious criminal issues.

The deals are made after the charges are filed. It's very likely, IMO, that this case will not be tried. Jennifer will plead guilty to a lesser crime, a restitution agreement will be accepted by the judge, and that will be the end of it.

Timex said:

You know, that's true. I hadn't thought about it that way.

I suppose it's the principal of the matter. She did break the law and she should be held accountable, but I can't help but think had the media not turned her disappearance into a three-ring-circus, none of this would be happening.

So how do you feel about the college girl that faked her abduction (in the nothern midwest)? I believe she was charged...also.

Mabel said:
The deals are made after the charges are filed. It's very likely, IMO, that this case will not be tried. Jennifer will plead guilty to a lesser crime, a restitution agreement will be accepted by the judge, and that will be the end of it.

Then I guess we dont need a forum.

Mabel said:
Just for the record, I wasn't pushing for a forum. I don't see the need for one.

I know...But your post made it much clearer as to why this case is really such a non-issue. Thats the only reason I used it to re-enforce my position as to lack of need for a forum.

Timex said:
Then I guess we dont need a forum.

I'd like to see a forum. Granted, there are a lot of things going on in this world, but when Jennifer accused those innocent people of kidnapping her (and raping her-if I understood Abrams, she crossed into a very murky area). Who would want to be falsely accused of something like that? What if they had been arrested? They both could have been cooling their heels in jail and I wonder if Jennifer would have just continued her charade?

She does seem to have problems, but I'd be willing to bet that most every criminal has the same issues. What makes her different is she's a pretty woman from an affluent family. She had this big wedding planned, and that alone captivated many people. I doubt a trailer park wedding and a reception at the VFW (not that there's anything wrong with that) would have drawn the attention that this case has.

She lied...and she lied big. She falsely accused others, and she should be held accountable. And she wasted resources that could have been used elsewhere. And what about the next missing bride...the one who is really missing. I'd hate to think the authorities would think maybe she pulled a "Jennifer" and not look for her.....

And what makes her any different than that college girl who pulled a similar stunt and was charged? They broke the law. We can't go willy-nilly down the path of justice...you got money...you're off the hook! You got problems...you're off the hook! I don't think it's a non-issue....and I'll bet those people that she falsely accused don't think so either.

But that's just my opinion.... :)

Timex said:
I know...But your post made it much clearer as to why this case is really such a non-issue. Thats the only reason I used it to re-enforce my position as to lack of need for a forum.

Okay, thanks for explaining. That makes sense to me.

She should be charged...and she has been. But that isnt enough to warrant a forum. Thousands are charged with crimes everday...they dont get a forum here on WS. There is no "mystery" here. There is nothing to "sleuth"...nothing to really even discuss. There are no "two sides" of the case to debate. She did it..she got caught..she got charged...its over. Whats left? A thread is more than enough IMO to allow those that wish to continue following the case to do so. A forum would be over-kill. If we start forums for every loon that pulls a stunt, we will not be seen as a serious forum at all.

Timex said:
She should be charged...and she has been. But that isnt enough to warrant a forum. Thousands are charged with crimes everday...they dont get a forum here on WS. There is no "mystery" here. There is nothing to "sleuth"...nothing to really even discuss. There are no "two sides" of the case to debate. She did it..she got caught..she got charged...its over. Whats left? A thread is more than enough IMO to allow those that wish to continue following the case to do so. A forum would be over-kill. If we start forums for every loon that pulls a stunt, we will not be seen as a serious forum at all.

I was confused...I thought we weren't going to discuss this at all. I didn't mean a forum (I meant a thread even though I said that)...sorry. But I still am interested in hearing what goes on with this case.

The thread will remain so long as it remains a discussion of Wilbanks, and not other posters.

I just heard on Court TV news that JW is going to be charged with two felonies, lying to law enforcement and making a false police statement. The first charge carries a maximum of five years in prison. The second charge carries a max of one year.

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- A Georgia prosecutor says a grand jury has indicted jittery bride Jennifer Wilbanks with one felony charge and one misdemeanor charge for her false abduction story.

The felony charge of false statement carries a maximum sentence of five years in jail and a $10,000 fine. The misdemeanor of filing a false police report can yield a 12-month sentence and $1,000 fine. The district attorney presented the case against the 32-year-old woman to the grand jury today.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4529020/de...l=chi_12pm&tmi=chi_12pm_1_12100405252005&ts=H

"Porter said Wilbanks faced one count of making a false statement to a government agency, a felony charge that carries a sentence of up to five years, and one of falsely reporting a crime, a misdemeanor that carries a term of up to one year."

Ok,
I'm not happy about what she did either.
But I think making her a Felon is a little much...
I think the misdemeanor is on target, along with possibly
community service and restitution

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998