VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This picture was taken a show or two before the RFK show. Outside of a show. It was taken by an old friend of mine.

Also it is not impossible for him to change...Just because JD did not have a bag with him does not mean he at no point didnt have one. It is also not impossible he bought a necklace on lot.

I mean even the nose is slanted to the left on the kid with the drum and JD.

Also it was very common to use other peoples drums or instruments in those types of things

Do you think your friend could narrow down when and where the photo was taken, GDFamily? I think it is an excellent lead.

Probably not him due to shirtless, tanned body, one bead necklace, blue strap on left wrist, grey short, cap and owns a drummer. Jason Doe don't have those stuffs with him when he was found dead in the van. Most long distance travelers carry their luggage for trip but JD didn't.

This is why I think that wherever he was going, he was planning on not staying there for any extent of time. I think someone out there has/had JD belongings and doesn't know he died in a car crash. They probably just think he decided to not come back, which was sadly uncommon amongst that group of people.

Do you think your friend could narrow down when and where the photo was taken, GDFamily? I think it is an excellent lead.

The picture was taken 6/24/95 in the parking lot of RFK Stadium.

Unfortuantely there is no other information. He took a lot of pictures around those shows.

then post an album of all the pics?
that way it would be easy to compare them to this and other missing GDF's...
there are a few more .
I think from different states?
a woman?
I can not recall, but a blog of all the pics would be a good place to view them
or if the photographer has a
account with a website that you post pics in.?that would work too.
WS

that photo made me cry...i've got a very strong feeling it may well be JD. Bit strange but to we know what colour boxers he had on when found? I can make out blue and white checked waist band on the photo...just an idea.

Here is the text from an email from my friend who took the picture

"I do not know who that was in the picture. I do vaguely remember the kid next time. This was 16 years ago. The kid to his left had all sort of drums and people were just coming up and using them. I do admit, in light of what you told me, it is scary the look in the persons face whom you say may the missing dead fan. I do very vaguely remember the kid next to the kid with long hair, hanging out with us. I remember him talking about fake tickets or something going around the lot. I remember that because the night before I had bought a fake ticket off a scalper. I bought a ticket for that nights show but I do not remember from whom. I usually kept a diary back then of shows. I do not really have any notes on that. I can tell you, that bridge was a meet up place for a lot of the tour kids who had no where to go and no cars. The sun was so hot that week that alot of the people who were traveling from show to show with no real means of getting there hung out underneath that bridge. A lot of people were there either looking for tickets or selling things. If memory serves me right I did end up buying my ticket from someone near there. The night before there was all sorts of crap going on under that bridge. I remember a whole bunch of girls from the 12 Tribes getting into something. The 12 Tribes bus was somewhere around there which I think led the amount of "stranded" heads under that bridge. I want to say the guy who drove the bus got arrested and everyone had to scatter since they no longer had a ride home...Again bud, these are all hazy memories. It is strange that I only have one picture of this. I took a lot of pictures, usually multiple shots of everything. The fact that I only have one picture of this tells me I just happened to be there and snapped the picture as opposed to scoping it out as a cool place to shoot. Anyway, good luck."

Here is the text from an email from my friend who took the picture

"I do not know who that was in the picture. I do vaguely remember the kid next time. This was 16 years ago. The kid to his left had all sort of drums and people were just coming up and using them. I do admit, in light of what you told me, it is scary the look in the persons face whom you say may the missing dead fan. I do very vaguely remember the kid next to the kid with long hair, hanging out with us. I remember him talking about fake tickets or something going around the lot. I remember that because the night before I had bought a fake ticket off a scalper. I bought a ticket for that nights show but I do not remember from whom. I usually kept a diary back then of shows. I do not really have any notes on that. I can tell you, that bridge was a meet up place for a lot of the tour kids who had no where to go and no cars. The sun was so hot that week that alot of the people who were traveling from show to show with no real means of getting there hung out underneath that bridge. A lot of people were there either looking for tickets or selling things. If memory serves me right I did end up buying my ticket from someone near there. The night before there was all sorts of crap going on under that bridge. I remember a whole bunch of girls from the 12 Tribes getting into something. The 12 Tribes bus was somewhere around there which I think led the amount of "stranded" heads under that bridge. I want to say the guy who drove the bus got arrested and everyone had to scatter since they no longer had a ride home...Again bud, these are all hazy memories. It is strange that I only have one picture of this. I took a lot of pictures, usually multiple shots of everything. The fact that I only have one picture of this tells me I just happened to be there and snapped the picture as opposed to scoping it out as a cool place to shoot. Anyway, good luck."

SO how hard would it be to track and arrested bus driver for some names of people who got stuck. Maybe other people from the bus might remeber getting stuck under a bridge.

SO how hard would it be to track and arrested bus driver for some names of people who got stuck. Maybe other people from the bus might remeber getting stuck under a bridge.

Back in the day I went to quite a few Dead Shows. The thing is, people came together as 'family' at the shows, but nobody used their names,just nicknames.

I really doubt any of the stranded riders would have known any one else by their real names, except whomever they were traveling with. IMOO

where was the accident the location? I read they were going through Gloucester, did the accident happen in Gloucester?

where was the accident the location? I read they were going through Gloucester, did the accident happen in Gloucester?

The accident happened in Emporia, VA. There is a lot of good info and very specific location in the threads for Jason here.

Old article Ive had, it has more details about this case....I havent been here in a long while but I was working on this case many years ago and was posting on the original old thread. I live 30 mins from Emporia and have been up and down 58 many times. We had many theories years ago...some thought he was a minor and did not have a DL, that being the reason he had no ID, some even thought he might not have been old enough for DL, under 16 at the time of crash. Also no one ever gave the ht. & wt. of Michael Hager, so some thought it could have been possible that the clothes he was wearing were Hagers and he showered and changed at the fathers house? Also there was a big issue with the Fila shoes, I being an old Deadhead myself would not have been caught dead (no pun intended) in a pair of Fila...flip flops, sandals, and maybe boots, if we wore tennis shoes, usually would be Vans, Converse Allstars, and plain Nikes...but that was rare..Filas though Never!!! And I myself living in the area and having drivin 95 and 85 on a daily basis, never could understand why they were driving on 58. He was supposedly headed to Inman SC and was coming from Glouchester VA (his dads) He should have already been on 85, You can merge onto 85 from 95 in Petersburg (see maps) but instead he stayed on 95 for another 45 mins and then got off on 58 to cut over to 85, which takes an additional 50 mins???? NO that doesnt even make any kind of sense??? Another stop maybe? Pick up Jasons stuff?

Victim In '95 Crash Still Unidentified
The Washington Times
Sunday, July 7, 1996
By Bill Baskervill, Associated Press

Emporia, VA -- A year after his death, a young man with a star tattooed on his arm, Grateful Dead concert ticket stubs in his pocket and a letter from two Carolines lies unidentified on a cold mortuary slab.

He was in his 20's -- and except for the letter -- carried no identification on June 26, 1995 when the Volkswagen van in which he was riding rammed two large loblolly pines along Route 58 three miles west of Emporia.

In the pockets of his Levi's 505 jeans were the ticket stubs, four quarters, a yellow cigarette lighter and this note: "To Jason, Sorry we had to go. See you around. Caroline O. and Caroline T."

Jason - if that is his name - waits for someone to claim his remains from the state Medical Examiner's Office in Richmond.

"I would like to find out who he is and close it out," said State Police Trooper T. E. Jones who is frustrated by the leads on the man's identity.

Trooper Jones said the driver of the van, Michael Eric Hager, 21, of Inman, SC, aparently fell asleep. Mr. Hager, a student at the University of South Carolina, and his lone passenger were flung through the windshield and into the trees, Trooper Jones said. Both died of massive head injuries.

The Trooper believes the passenger had attended a Grateful Dead concert in Washington's RFK Stadium the weekend before the Monday accident.

He said Mr. Hager left his girlfriend's Fairfax County home around 7:45 a.m. on the day of the crash and picked up the hitchhiker later. Mr. Hager drove to his father's house in Gloucester County, where neighbors told the trooper they remembered seeing another man with Mr. Hager. The two left Gloucester County about noon, according to the message Mr. Hager left for his father. That would have put them at the accicent scene about 1:30 p.m., the trooper said.

Mr. Hager was enroute to his mother's home in Inman. Where the hitchhiker was headed is not known. Evidently, he was not following the Grateful Dead tour because the band's next date was in the Midwest and Mr. Hager was headed south, Trooper Jones noted.

The hitchhiker was wearing a Gratreful Dead Summer Tour 1995 T-shirt, light blue denim jeans, blue Fila athletic shoes, white athletic socks and macrame and bead necklaces. He was white, 5 teet 8 inches tall, 169 pounds. He had shoulder-length brown hair and brown eyes.

A crudely drawn star tattoo was on his upper left arm. His left earlobe was pierced, but there was no earring.

Trooper Jones has run the hitchhiker's fingerprints through the FBI database and sent his description to every police agency in the country to no avail. He found the man who sold the two Grateful Dead tickets, but to someone other than the hitchhiker. The tickets, for seats in separate sections of RFK Stadium, could have changed hands many times before the hitchhiker got them.

The next step is to check the fingerprints with the Secret Service, which has a larger database than the FBI, the trooper said.

Gladys Culp of Salisbury, NC took up Jason's cause by shopping the story to news organizations. She has mailed journalists copies of a Virginia State Police sketch of the man and a summary of the case.

"I just felt bad there would be somebody that young out there," said Mrs. Culp, who has sons ages 17, 18, and 21. "Maybe he has a family searching for him."

Robert Holloway, administrator of the state Medical Examiner's Office, said it is unusual for a body to remain unidentified for as long as the hitchhiker's. The state will hold the body indefinitely, he said.

Authorities urge anyone with information about the hitchhiker to call Virginia State Police Trooper Jones at 804-634-4454

Map 1 95>85
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...79.296645&sspn=3.852459,10.777588&ie=UTF8&z=7

Map 2 95>58>85
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...5.677068&sspn=30.323858,86.220703&ie=UTF8&z=7

Sharing the list Ive been working on, its finally complete. These are just landlines, since cell phones weren't that popular in 95', I assume it was a landline phone number, now if we could just get them to release the complete phone number we could divide up the list between us and get to calling, and maybe get some closure. You will notice that I have listed every city/town that has the 914 prefix, so there are multiple with the same area code...I did this for mapping reasons.

Landlines with 914 prefixes
in continental US

ARIZONA
Phoenix 602-914-
CALIFORNIA
Los Angele 310-914-
San Jose 408-914-
Glendora 626-914-
Azusa 626-914-
Camarillo 805-914-
Canoga Park 818-914-
Winnetka 818-914-
Rancho Santa Fe 858-914-
Sacramento 916-914-
Rancho Cordova 916-914-
Temecula 951-914-
COLORADO
Denver 303-914-
FLORIDA
Miami 305-914-
Palm Bay 321-914-
Indialantic 321-914-
Tampa 813-914-
Panama City 850-914-
GEORGIA
Atlanta 404-914-
Mcdonough 770-914-
Locust Grove 770-914-
Stockbridge 770-914-
IDAHO
Boise 215-914-
ILLINOIS
Percy 618-914-
Homewood 708-914-
Licolnshire 847-914-
Deerfield 847-914-
INDIANA
Plymouth 574-914-
KANSAS
Anthony 620-914-
Salina 785-914-
KENTUCKY
Eddyville 270-914
MARYLAND
Churchville 410-914-
Finksburg 443-914-
Glyndon 443-914-
MASSACHUSETTES
Cambridge 617-914-
Boston 609-914-
Wakefield 781-914-
MICHIGAN
Menominee 906-914-
MINNESOTA
Minneapolis 952-914-
Eden Prairie 952-914-
MISSISSIPPI
Flowood 601-914-
Jackson 601-914-
Ridgeland 601-914-
NEVADA
Las Vegas 702-914-
Henderson 702-914-
NEW JERSEY
Hainesport 609-914-
Lumberton 609-914-
Vincentown 609-914-
Mount Holly 609-914-
Toms River 732-914-
Beachwood 732-914-
Pine Beach 732-914-
Toms River 732-914-
Moorestown 856-914-
Maple Shade 856-914-
Mount Laurel 856-914-
Hackettstown 908-914-
NORTH CAROLINIA
Gastonia 704-914-
Nakina 910-914-
Hallsboro 910-914-
Chadbourn 910-914-
Brunswick 910-914-
Whiteville 910-914-
Chapel Hill 919-914-
OHIO
Van Wert 419-914-
Olmstead Falls 440-914-
Chagrin Falls 440-914-
Solon 440-914-
Dayton 937-914-
OREGON
Portland 503-914-
PENNSYLVANIA
Abington 215-914-
Jenkintown 215-914-
Bryn Athyn 215-914-
Huntingdon Valley 215-914-
Fairless Hills 267-914-
Levittown 267-914-
Pittsburgh 412-914-
McDonald 412-914-
Bridgeville 412-914-
Harrisburg 717-914-
Washington 724-914-
SOUTH CAROLINIA
Brunson 803-914-
Early Branch 803-914-
Hampton 803-914-
TENNESSEE
Manchester 931-914-
TEXAS
Sugar Land 281-914-
Houston 281-914-
Houston 713-914-
Arlingtom 817-914-
Seguin 830-914-
Saint Hedwig 830-914-
Cibolo 830-914-
La Vernia 830-914-
Marion 830-914-
Sunnyvale 972-914-
Plano 972-914-
VIRGINIA
Alexandria 703-914-
Falls Church 703-914-
Annandale 703-914-

Amy,
I grew up less than 30 minutes from Emporia too so this has always been a case close to home for me.

The route has always bothered me too, but I see 2 possible explanations.
1. They left the father's house in Glouchester, VA. They could have taken 64 down to the Newport News area and picked up 58 to come straight across to I85. Its only about 25 miles longer than back tracking towards Richmond and taking I95 down to Petersburg to pickup up I85. I for one might have done that, don't like to 'back track', just doesn't feel right.
2. I used to work right on I95. I can't count the number of people that missed the I85 exit near Petersburg and stopped in to ask how to get to I85. Happened several times per week.

Not in disagreement with you, just saying I could see why they would be taking that route. I really wish we could solve this case, has bothered me for years.

There's a 4" height difference and the wrong color hair (blonde vs. red) and wrong color eyes (blue vs. brown). But still an odd coincidence!

There's a 4" height difference and the wrong color hair (blonde vs. red) and wrong color eyes (blue vs. brown). But still an odd coincidence!

Personally, I think this wanted man is the most probable candidate I've ever heard of in this case, which I've been following off & on for over a decade.

Some missing or unidentified cases resist resolution for decades because the initial reports so little information that there is really nothing to work from. They don't get a lot of publicity either, because for media there isn't much of a story to tell.

Neither is true of this case. There is a wealth of initial report info, (relative to many resolved cases), there has been media coverage including tv shows like Unsolved Mysteries, and in addition there has been involvement by the 'deadhead' community and the internet sleuthing communities. But no resolution.

To me, this suggests that the base info contains misinformation. Misinformation happens, I don't see any point in trying to blame anyone or call people's competencies into question. It just happens.

I think it's very improbable that this person's legal name was Jason. I think physical characteristics could be way off, including age estimate. If the accident happened as I've seen it described on forums like this - a high-speed impact with a tree...

I had the misfortune to observe a car going 50-70 kph go off road, roll over several times and impact a tree. The car was on its side, the roof impacted against the tree. I was on a bus above this scene on an overpass, but I could clearly see that the roof had been pushed about a foot INTO THE DOORS. However skilled an M.E. might be, I don't think anyone could accurately reconstruct the remains of victims from an accident of that nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288